Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  23    25    27  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 11:09 AM

Our local Police indicate info. they received from Verizon shows no activity on Gary's cell phone since Sept. 3rd. His bank account still has not shown any withdrawals.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 11:15 AM

I hope he turns up. He has been MIA for quite awhile. Got to admire the family for keeping it here.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew
We have made requests to our local law enforcement agency for cell phone information. They indicated it requires a court subpoena and they did not have enough grounds to go on for the subpoena. Today I made the request again since the time Gary has been missing should be crucial, I am waiting for their response. They were advised the Mexico cell towers are owned by Telmex.

Ask the detective to contact the US National Central Bureau (INTERPOL) in Washington, DC through the California State (INTERPOL) Liaison Office located within the California Department of Justice.

The detective should ask them to contact the Mexico INTERPOL office to help get the Mexican phone records (if needed) and also have the detective request the issuance of an INTERPOL Yellow Notice (missing person) and a Black Notice (Unidentified Deceased).

SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 04:43 PM

Below from Kim Patton, working from memory and with her son, Elliott, who has
traveled with his Father, Gary to some of these areas.
I know this is a LOT of places, but at this point who knows. . .
Please note, VEHICLE IS 2 WHEEL DRIVE, something not mentioned early on. This "should" restrict travel to some places.
Mel

Confirmed, last known communication and location:
* San Quintin (his first night's stay @ Hotel Jardinis 9/4-5th ); this matches Gary's trip plan

Sightings since family reported Gary missing 9/10:
* Punta Abreojos fishing tournament 9/9 or 9/15 - vehicle spotting only, unconfirmed
* La Chorera beach (woman resident reported spotting vehicle only (9/16&17th)
* Bahia de Los Angeles (couple reported spotting vehicle when they were there (9/22)
* Rosarito Beach (woman ID'd photo, reported having a conversation w/Gary ~ 9/10 - 9/26)

List of Baja areas Gary's known to visit in the past:
Bahia de Los Angeles (see or photo whale sharks)
Punta Baja El Rosario Bahia Asuncion Guerrero Negro (winter whale watching)
San Hipolito La Bacana Catavinia Punta Abreojos
Estero el Coyote La Bufadora Puerto Catarina Punta Camacho
Bahia del Rosario Bahia Tortugas Vizcaino loop Off-shore islands to fish
Surfing Beach sites south of Tijuana might also be possible but less likely cause he would've been back-tracking from SanQuintin, unless he went to rent a house on the beach for a while:
* "Shipwrecks"
* Sausipedous
* Todas Santos
* Hotel La Fonda
* Missions (I don't know where these are --he'd go to take pictures)
Gary might hire fishing boats, fish from shore (but did not take fishing gear this time). He definitely took surf and boogie boards with fins​, all carried inside the vehicle. He would camp nearby beaches in a tent with gear and vehicle close by. Frequently, carries a Canon D-60 camera. Typically will book hotel only in rain, wind, cold, or last night before coming home.

Besides Pemex stations, Gary may go to pharmacies, for ​M​otrin or to call home from pay phone. Often​ ​times in the past, those phones were ​e​rratic in getting through​ to U.S.. Appreciate posting flyer in those stores as well, please, and share with workers.

Vehicle: 2002 Silver Toyota 4​-​Runner w/black roof racks ​
2-wheel drive, ​ Calif License 4VUZ 284

Thank you once again for your vigilance on our behalf ------
Kimberly Patton
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 05:10 PM

Blanca, how are you? Would you mind putting this up on the nomad site?

Again, based on advice here about Interpol, our law enforcement re Baja cell phone usage, says once again, this effort is futile. I went over contacting Interpol etc.with our U.S. detective, and there is no data to be had. A factor I hadn't considered is that the cell phone companies have sold off their cell sites, and especially in Mexico, each tower or group of towers is owned by various different persons or company. And due to data storage constraints and maintenance cost, they don't keep records of inactivity, or pinging, and certainly not unbilleable calls. Local calls are unbilleable calls just like incomplete calls are unbilleable. These records are not retained, and cell phone companies don't want those call records or call attempts. A long distance,international call, must be allowed and no steps were taken by us to verify that before Gary left here. Also, as I said before, because there are few cell towers in all of Baja, since they do not have nearly the traffic, population nor obstructions we do here (there was 1 site in 2006), even if there was record of a ping, it would be the site nearest SanQuintin which wouldn't tell us much as to where he is, cause the site covers a radius of 100's miles. Cell sites are also not named by city or location but by a code, so then we need someone to tell us where it is, which is highly confidential information.

If your nomad can provide a phone number for the Mexican Interpol office,I'd be happy to try it myself, but I made dozens of calls directly to various carriers to no avail, quite frustrating and costly.

RE question: No, the phone does not ping when turned off (same no-ping if battery is dead). If it's out of range of any cell sites, no record of ping exists even if the phone is on and pinging (this is when the phone would show "No Signal" or no bars).

To clarify again, the U.S. Embassy has confirmed with me several times they've NEVER been able to get ANY info on cell phone usage out of Telmex or any other Mexican carrier, especially when it is an American number. Our U.S. detective says he also frequently has inadequate information from all cell phone carriers as to precise location of call originations.

Kimberly Patton

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 05:52 PM

I thought I saw early in this thread that one of the Patton family is on Garys' cell phone account and that he has Verizon service. They have a data service called Family Locator. It may be worth checking into. Here is the link.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/features/data_ser...
SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 08:12 PM

I should have mentioned one of Gary's favorite stops is Mama Esponoza's. For certain he would have stopped there if passing.

"Justbozo" Thanks for thought, but he doesn't have that feature.I'm not certain that's available on his dumb phone. Excellent idea though.

"Lencho". I'll have to check with her, and get back to you

Thanks everyone....
Mel
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 08:35 PM

Sorry to say there were no posters of Gary up at Mama Espinosa's when we ate there last Friday night (Oct. 12.) No one at Baja Cactus desk or the gas station at El Rosario (same date) was aware of the missing gringo, Gary Patton. We asked and looked for posters.

Did the family stop there when they drove to Guerrero Negro and back? Talk to anyone?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Blanca, how are you? Would you mind putting this up on the nomad site?

Again, based on advice here about Interpol, our law enforcement re Baja cell phone usage, says once again, this effort is futile. I went over contacting Interpol etc.with our U.S. detective, and there is no data to be had. A factor I hadn't considered is that the cell phone companies have sold off their cell sites, and especially in Mexico, each tower or group of towers is owned by various different persons or company. And due to data storage constraints and maintenance cost, they don't keep records of inactivity, or pinging, and certainly not unbilleable calls. Local calls are unbilleable calls just like incomplete calls are unbilleable. These records are not retained, and cell phone companies don't want those call records or call attempts. A long distance,international call, must be allowed and no steps were taken by us to verify that before Gary left here. Also, as I said before, because there are few cell towers in all of Baja, since they do not have nearly the traffic, population nor obstructions we do here (there was 1 site in 2006), even if there was record of a ping, it would be the site nearest SanQuintin which wouldn't tell us much as to where he is, cause the site covers a radius of 100's miles. Cell sites are also not named by city or location but by a code, so then we need someone to tell us where it is, which is highly confidential information.

If your nomad can provide a phone number for the Mexican Interpol office,I'd be happy to try it myself, but I made dozens of calls directly to various carriers to no avail, quite frustrating and costly.

RE question: No, the phone does not ping when turned off (same no-ping if battery is dead). If it's out of range of any cell sites, no record of ping exists even if the phone is on and pinging (this is when the phone would show "No Signal" or no bars).

To clarify again, the U.S. Embassy has confirmed with me several times they've NEVER been able to get ANY info on cell phone usage out of Telmex or any other Mexican carrier, especially when it is an American number. Our U.S. detective says he also frequently has inadequate information from all cell phone carriers as to precise location of call originations.

Kimberly Patton

Kim..........

".......Again, based on advice here about Interpol, our law enforcement re Baja cell phone usage, says once again, this effort is futile. I went over contacting Interpol etc.with our U.S. detective, and there is no data to be had."

Really?????.....did he try in this case?? That is an unacceptable answer from the detective. Does he have any experience working with INTERPOL or the USNCB??

INTERPOL is an investigative resource. The detective should be using it. It doesn't cost anything. I would make noise at his agency until he submits the request. The US Embassy or Consulate is not an investigative agency, they are a bunch of clerks.

....."If your nomad can provide a phone number for the Mexican Interpol office,I'd be happy to try it myself, but I made dozens of calls directly to various carriers to no avail, quite frustrating and costly."

Individual citizens cannot access INTERPOL, requests for assistance must come from a law enforcement agency.

I have several years experience working with INTERPOL, the State Liaison Program and the USNCB and have obtained results and case follow-up from the Mexican Federal Police

Did the detective say he would request an INTERPOL Yellow Notice?????......if not, ask him to do it.

[Edited on 10-19-2013 by bajaguy]

redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 09:42 PM

It really sounds like they need help with this. Maybe you, Bajaguy, could give them a name of someone that could intervene on their behalf. It is very hard for us civilians to get past a Police blocker. Just like in the medical world sometimes you really need an advocate. At this time, Gary has chosen to be unavailable or something very serious has happened to him.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 12:30 AM

A Lo-Jack should be a criteria for everyone traveling in Baja!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

When I bought my Jeep in san Diego, the dealer said there would be no sense in getting it installed since it's useless in Mexico.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

When I bought my Jeep in san Diego, the dealer said there would be no sense in getting it installed since it's useless in Mexico.

Lo-Jack has a presence in Mexico, however it is technology heavy and requires special equipment in police cars to receive the Lo-Jack radio signal. There are also computer requirements for the law enforcement agency.

Lo-Jack has installed the equipment in a few locations. The police in Tijuana work closely with the CHP Border Unit and have recovered stolen cars equipped with Lo-Jack.

Lo-Jack is also working with some Mexican agencies and paying a "bounty" for recovered vehicles.

SPOT offers real-time tracking you can see on your computer......but SPOT or Lo-jack are dependent on someone wanting to use them.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 07:56 AM

http://www.lojack.com/LoJack-International/Global-Presence
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 08:00 AM

I think some of you are expecting hi-tech quality in a low-tech environment.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 08:08 AM

Come on Dennis, you are using high speed internet on your Cliffside home in Mexico...couldn't get much more high tech than that!!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 08:18 AM

Would you add this clarification to the recent question about Family locator:

Re Family Locator functionality, because it is something you have to activate from using the phone itself (and pay for like a feature), that service is of no help to us. There is also no confirmation that it would work in Mexico because Gary is not using a smartphone, doesn't text nor email, and he wouldn't even be able to check his own voicemail if the service isn't allowing calls-to-U.S. Trust me -- I've been exhausting this avenue from the beginning, there is no information as to whereabouts or activity that'll come from the cell phone until he crosses U.S. border.
Kimberly Patton

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 08:22 AM

the best tech in this case would be to have flyers everywhere...especially in the places he is known to frequent.... which it appears they are definitely not.

I suggest either the family send someone down to do that or have someone already in baja do the job which includes talking to locals in every place they ask to put up flyers. You really have to personally put them up not just leave them with someone.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 08:39 AM

Shari is correct. I repeat that when the dog Pickles was lost near SQ( in a car wreck) I personally printed 100 flyers and planned to post them on our motorhome trip all the way from Tecate to Cabo. I went to out of the way places ie off road ejidos and most restaurants and pemex stations. The flyers were already everywhere- even in places I would not have imagined. I could have printed a dozen and had some left over. I just can't understand why we haven't had the same success in posting Gary's flyers????
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 08:41 AM

I don't know how far San Quintin is from you Shari but it is about 280 miles south of the US/Tijuana border so for me to personally go there at this time with my commitments is not an option.
 Pages:  1  ..  23    25    27  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.