Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  24    26    28  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:03 AM

Juan Arce Marron, Bahia Asuncion's roving reporter, gives an update to the Associated Press. go Juan!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090902/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/tropic...

Looks like Taco and I are reading the news at the same time.

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by zforbes]
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:05 AM
Todos Santos Storm Report (Courtesy, Baja Western Onion)

Maryann has been sending us regular updates on the weather situation in Todos Santos since yesterday morning. Following is a summary of her reports. - Alan

----------------------

Tue. Sept. 01, 11:00 A.M. - Fairly heavy, steady rain, but still no wind - satellite TV has gone so I have unplugged all electronics. Have heard that San Jose has already lost power.

----------------------

Tue. Sept. 01, 3:30 P.M. - Winds starting to pick up a bit but it has been very quiet - rain off and on. It looks now like it is starting to come in more from the west - which is not a good thing. All reports are that while we will certainly get wind and rain it is not going right over top of us and I believe it will be several more hours before the big stuff hits. I still have electricity and even TV.

----------------------

Tue. Sept. 01, 7:20 P.M. - Winds picking up again - not much rain. I can see the white caps from my porch - many many large white caps!! There are dark clouds moving fast all around - hard to tell which direction they are coming from. Actually the winds are higher now than they have been all day.

Depending on which site you look at - it may have already gone north of us or is still coming - I can sure see a wall of black clouds over the ocean. Still have satellite TV - only lost it briefly.

----------------------

Tue. Sept. 01, 8:30 P.M. - Strong winds and heavy rain - electricity going off and on.

----------------------

Wed. Sept. 02, 2:30 A.M. - Incredibly high winds since about 10:00 PM - surprisingly little rain - and amazing my electricity is mostly on. Thanks to Linda's 3G I am still on the internet. From what I can see from here the roof is still on my house. No thunder or lightning - just WIND.

----------------------

Wed. Sept. 02, 6:30 A.M. - Still blowing but just regular high winds - no more gale force. A very quick look around - everything appears fine. Electricity is on - amazing!!

----------------------

Wed. Sept. 02, 8:30 A.M. - Everything is just fine - amazing. The electricity hardly went out at all. Really very lilttlle rain. I checked inside my house and there is absolutely no problem. If Jimena had been 100 miles further east we would have been in big trouble - saved again.

----------------------

The Baja Western Onion

Frequently Asked Questions

* How Do I Submit an Article, Ad or Question? Visit Our Web Site at http://www.bajawesternonion.com/submitarticle.asp

* How Do I Subscribe? Visit Our Web Site at http://www.BajaWesternOnion.com/subscribe.asp

* More FAQs Here: http://www.BajaWesternOnion.com/faq.asp
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
CNN just reported that it just made land fall at Santa Margarita

I do not see Santa Margarita on my AAA Baja map.:?::?::?:

Here you go Udo... the big island in the center that is the southern end of Mag Bay...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:12 AM

Thanks Lencho and Morgaine7.

My area of concern is specifically Col. Chametla in CD. La Paz. Got a bunch of stuff in the freezer. Just trying to get a heads-up on what I will find in the freezer if the electricity goes out for a long time. Will be there tomorrow if Volaris doesn't cancel the flight.

My first hurricane, don't know what to expect. Have two large Mesquite trees in the back yard and a fantastic mango tree with a bunch of fruit ready to be picked. Hoping for the best. Based on recent posts, it sounds like La Paz, Cabo and neighboring towns may have missed the bullet. Not so sure about Loreto or Mulege or the pacific side, though.

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by MitchMan]
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:20 AM

Been following closely and praying for our friends from Asuncion south.
Glad to see its busting up some.
Would be interested to know if you have any updates on folks down at Hipolito Shari.
Pretty cool, Juan, the roving reporter. The list is small of what you don't do, huh Juan? :cool:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:24 AM

MitchMan

Being just down the road I wouldn't worry about anything. It was not bad enough to do damage, and you have not lost power long enough to loose anything in the freezer.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:28 AM

Are there any reports from Mulege area,looks like its heading north.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
GEMcC5150
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:36 AM

Light winds in San Ignacio wit light on and off rain
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Thanks Lencho and Morgaine7.

My area of concern is specifically Col. Chametla in CD. La Paz. Got a bunch of stuff in the freezer. Just trying to get a heads-up on what I will find in the freezer if the electricity goes out for a long time. Will be there tomorrow if Volaris doesn't cancel the flight.

My first hurricane, don't know what to expect. Have two large Mesquite trees in the back yard and a fantastic mango tree with a bunch of fruit ready to be picked. Hoping for the best. Based on recent posts, it sounds like La Paz, Cabo and neighboring towns may have missed the bullet. Not so sure about Loreto or Mulege or the pacific side, though.

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by MitchMan]

I saw lights in Chametla this morning. Comitan is probably right about the freezer. Having lived in Chametla, it's low, the roads flood pretty quickly and can take a while to drain so moving about may be a challenge for a few days.
Have a safe flight.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:43 AM

oh that is rich...juan in the spotlight....those of you who know him will think it's funny...he is so NOT into getting attention.
At 6:30 this morning I stumbled out of the tent to find him on the phone speaking in english...I asked who the heck was that and he said...some lady from Mexico city wanting info on the storm...:O...too funny.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:45 AM

welcome GEM...nice to see someone reporting in from that area...please keep us posted and hang on...hope you are out of flooding danger where you are....oh yeah...one question...did they stop beer sales there??

it is gorgeous and sunny here right now...only a few clouds...so weird

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by shari]

oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:45 AM

A star is born! Good Luck up there today, Shari!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:47 AM

Shari

If that crazy storm continues to wander you may have boarded the wrong side of the windows, if it does hit you guys it shouldn't have much strength left after meandering up the Baja. :lol:

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:47 AM

No power here since before 6 am.
Winds steady with gusts direction is east to west. My guess is some of the gusts are borderline cat 1 strength but not sustained. Not a lot of rain. I'm on a iPhone with full bats but want to conserve. So far has been easy on Loreto.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:50 AM

thanks for checking in Pam...we were wondering how you were doing...take good care

oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:50 AM

Glad you checked in FFP...sorry we sent this crap your way. Good Luck.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
oh that is rich...juan in the spotlight....those of you who know him will think it's funny...he is so NOT into getting attention.
At 6:30 this morning I stumbled out of the tent to find him on the phone speaking in english...I asked who the heck was that and he said...some lady from Mexico city wanting info on the storm...:O...too funny.

Was a surprise to see his name in the AP report---nice one yes::yes:

But, if they call again, be sure he tells them that there are no people where the storm hit, not even slum dwellers. :fire:

Stay dry and safe.
Diane

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
But, if they call again, be sure he tells them that there are no people where the storm hit, not even slum dwellers. :fire:

:fire:AP

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 09:08 AM
An Encouraging Track.

It was refreshing this a.m. to see the current NOAA track holding Jimena over the central portion of Baja, then veering Left and not influencing the San Felipe area. Hoping it holds true and there won't be any leaks to address next week.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 09:12 AM

Had Juan known it was a news network, he should have told them how great the fishing would be next week!!!

I imagine the folks in mag bay arent too encouraged by this mornings track.

Pages:  1  ..  24    26    28  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.