Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  26    28    30  ..  70
Author: Subject: Ron Hoff/Bajagringo attacked
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 07:36 AM

Just one or two questions. If Ron and Cristina have Seguros Popular why can’t they make a deal with the hospital? Why do they need to pay out of pocket if they have insurance? It was not their choice to go to the hospital Red Cross delivered them to.
They should tell the hospital to bill Seguros Popular for any money owed that has not already been paid.

On another note, why isn’t the police getting involved as they have the turds in custody who committed the crimes? Aren’t the turds liable for damages (medical bills, at a minimum!) to Ron and Cristina? Shouldn’t the turds be paying the bills, just like if it was an auto accident?

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
So, do I go tomorrow?

My personal opinion is no. If non-medical people who are not relatives start to show up there, there's a possibility that additional problems could be created at the hospital or with Ron's daughter. If you spoke to her first and she gave the green light, that would be another story.

Regardless of what our personal opinion might be, we need to give the daughter room while being available if needed. Certainly that's what I would want in her shoes.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 07:49 AM

Does anyone have the name a telephone number of Ron's Daughter? Please send it to my e-mail @ elinvestig8r@yahoo.com. Thank you!

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ridge
Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
Does anyone have the name a telephone number of Ron's Daughter? Please send it to my e-mail @ elinvestig8r@yahoo.com. Thank you!
I believe both Fernando(fdt) and Sirenita do.

Thank you. Can someone call them and ask them to send it to my listed e-mail @ elinvestig8r@yahoo.com.

I am on hold with the VA Hospital right now.

latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 08:55 AM

Granted my experience was in Canada, but nonetheless we have some experience with being in the situation that Ron, Cristina and Ron's family are in right now. Two years ago my step-daughter was in Critical Care on life-support for two weeks suffering from pneumonia and septic shock.

The shock and fear is overwhelming to friends and family. For two weeks, only her immediate family was allowed to enter the room, with masks and gloves (high probability of infection) and to be at her bedside for 5 minutes maximum once a day. The sight of a once healthy and vibrant young woman hooked up to tubes was horrifying.

I am telling my story because what happened outside the critical care ward in the waiting room added more stress than you can imagine to my husband and I. Because people felt helpless they started questioning the quality of care and the doctor's apparent lack of skill to bring our daughter back to "life". We were asked to consider having her air transported to Mayo Clinic by other family members, to call in famous doctors outside of the hospital for consultation, and on and on. I can't begin to tell you how hard it was to keep the faith and not start adding guilt and fear that we should move her, to our long list of emotions!

Miraculously after two weeks of touch and go, she was taken off all the mechanical apparatus and was on the road to recovery.

The way it worked in Canada was that we could all be in the waiting area 24 hours a day praying for her, but only her mother, father, sister, myself and her husband could be in her room, one at a time for 5 minutes. There was one nurse assigned to her bedside 24 hours a day. Every few days the doctor would schedule a meeting with the immediate family and review the situation. If there were tests done, he showed them to the immediate family and explained them to us. The only person who had the legal right to make any decisions about her care or even worst case scenerio was her husband of 5 months!

I think the folks on this forum are amazing and the support for a fellow Nomad shows what you are made of. I just wanted to say that maybe what is happening with Ron and is wife isn't that much different than what our experience was in Canada. Someone mentioned that his daughter had seen the test results, which should have determined the extent of swelling or bleeding around the brain... After suffering the kind of head trauma Ron has suffered, there could be a long road to recovery. If the daughter is the only relative near Ron, and has faith in the doctors and what they told her about being home in 3 days she may have had no choice but to return to the states, get her child and pack for a possibly long stay with her father and step-mother, helping them to recover... Just a thought... Cathy
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:01 AM

I hope the hospital knows the World Wide Web is watching them and how they treat Ron... They sure could benefit from doing the right thing, and lose if they are indeed using Ron as a cash cow.

I have a couple of repairs to see to, but will check back this afternoon... Ferna and others have my cell pnone number if I can be of assistance.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Canexican

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:04 AM

I've been following this discussion closely since I read of it on Mexconnect. I know Ron from his time on Mexconnect and his contributions. He has shared a lot about his beloved daughter Olivia, who passed away unexpectedly and how close he was to her, and that always touched everyone. He spoke of her frequently, and we assumed she was his only child. Thankfully that's not the case.

In this situation, if Cristina has recovered to the point she can do it, she is the one with the legal right to make decisions on Ron's behalf and the one he would want to do that. She is local, knows the systems, and also knows their medical coverage. Are there any updates on her condition? Fingers crossed that both are going to be okay. It is clear Ron has very good friends looking out for him. Our prayers are with both Ron and Cristina.

[Edited on 9-13-2011 by Canexican]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:10 AM

there is a duty nurse in Ron's room round the clock.

Sirena just called and said she has no internet probably until tonight and so U2U me to get her a message or call her cell...Ferna can you please call her? She did mention that the receptionist commentd to her that Ron sure had alot of friends and Sirena explained to her that Ron is a pretty high profile guy..not just some gringo tourist that got beat up... so they are probably aware they may be under more scrutiny.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ridge
Quote:
I believe both Fernando(fdt) and Sirenita do.

Thank you. Can someone call them and ask them to send it to my listed e-mail @ elinvestig8r@yahoo.com.

I am on hold with the VA Hospital right now.

Sorry but you and 20 or so otheres are asking for this info. perdon David

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:16 AM

I spoke to San Diego area VA Hospital in La Jolla CA. I explained to him the situation about Ron and him being a U.S. Navy veteran and his circumstances in Ensenada. He is finding out if they will accept Ron and will call me back.

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:28 AM

I am on hold with the National Military Records Center to see if they will send the VA San Diego confirmation that Ron is a U.S. Navy Veteran

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Just one or two questions. If Ron and Cristina have Seguros Popular why can’t they make a deal with the hospital? Why do they need to pay out of pocket if they have insurance? It was not their choice to go to the hospital Red Cross delivered them to.
They should tell the hospital to bill Seguros Popular for any money owed that has not already been paid.

On another note, why isn’t the police getting involved as they have the turds in custody who committed the crimes? Aren’t the turds liable for damages (medical bills, at a minimum!) to Ron and Cristina? Shouldn’t the turds be paying the bills, just like if it was an auto accident?

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
there is a duty nurse in Ron's room round the clock.

Sirena just called and said she has no internet probably until tonight and so U2U me to get her a message or call her cell...Ferna can you please call her? She did mention that the receptionist commentd to her that Ron sure had alot of friends and Sirena explained to her that Ron is a pretty high profile guy..not just some gringo tourist that got beat up... so they are probably aware they may be under more scrutiny.

Ron and his Abalone project were handed a check for 5 Million pesos by the Governor of Baja few months back. The Governor knows who he is and how important he is to Mexico. He would def get involved if he knew about it.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Canexican

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:55 AM

Quote:

Ron and his Abalone project were handed a check for 5 Million pesos by the Governor of Baja few months back. The Governor knows who he is and how important he is to Mexico. He would def get involved if he knew about it.

Under the circumstances, that's a very good idea to let the Governor know about this as soon as possible.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:58 AM

I just got off the telephone with the National Military Records Center to see if they will send the VA San Diego confirmation that Ron is a U.S. Navy Veteran.

They told me they cannot release any information without written authorization. They also need his Social Security Number to even look for the records.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 09:59 AM

I have been a medical provider for 35 years at a University hospital here is the states. Emergencies will happen to us all, preparation and organization are your best options. We all become overwhelmed when an emergency occurs and having the information readily available will not change the emergency but it might change the stress and outcome.

Originally posted by shari "this whole nightmare has inspired me to really get cracking to organize our group of friends here to make up an emergency plan complete with everyone’s info like family contact numbers, meds, allergies, blood types, health issues, insurance plans, notarized list of possible people to make decisions in the absence of family, person's personal wishes for treatment/burial...stuff like that so that in the event of a catastrophe, we could respond quicker and more efficiently...less confusion....a lot to think about here and lots of good lessons learned....." I would encourage all Nomads to make sure you: 1. Know the medical system in Mexico. It is complex. Sometimes the most popular hospital is not the best. Sometimes the public is better than the private and visa versa. Identify a doctor of record for yourself if possible. There is no stronger advocate for you than your own doctor. 2. Write up a clear document that lists all of your vital information for medical purposes i.e. full name, date of birth, place of birth, mother’s maiden name, social security number, health insurance plan name, your plan number, name and contact information for your medical advocate, copy of signed medical power of attorney (there is an equivalent in Mexico), names, addresses and phone numbers of family members to contact (be sure to use proper country and area codes. 3. With the document above list all of your medical conditions, medical history including all prior diagnosis, medical conditions and medications, include any allergies. 4. Have these documents translated by a person with sufficient language skills to be able to clearly and correctly translate what you have written. Remember that different people have different levels of knowledge of medical/legal jargon. 5. Make sure there are people who you know and trust that have copies of these documents in both English and Spanish. 6. Explore Mexican private insurance. It is available and can be very reasonably priced. Be sure you have coverage for evacuation if this is needed. 7. Know your resources. Familiarize yourself with the medical resources around you. Know what services are available at your local clinic. Do they have a defibrillator? Do they have x-ray, CAT, MRI? What sort of problem can they handle? If more care is needed what is the best resource? What is the best hospital that you can use given your insurance, capacity to cover your expenses? Remember that consumers are only one source of this information, talk to local Mexican medical insurance agents. See if you can get a Mexican medical insurance policy, maybe set up a group policy. Having a medical insurance agent in Mexico can be a great source of support in negotiating the system. This list is not exhaustive and it would at some point be helpful for a bicultural group in your community to clarify the many issues addressed here. It is important to have a PLAN. Time is of the essence in medical care. Too little too late can be deadly. My heart goes out to Ron and Christine in the long road they will have in their recovery and re-adjustment to their new circumstances. I extend my very best wishes to them and their families. Healing will need to happen on many levels and I hope they know from reading this thread that they are loved and cared for. I send my best wishes for a speedy recovery. PLAN NOW! Iflyfish

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 10:03 AM

This certainly isn't the type of news I hoped to find on Nomads on my first day back. What a terrible thing to have happen, and even worse when the people involved are among the nicest.

My best thoughts for a speedy recovery to the both of them.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 10:27 AM

http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/pdf/Preparedness...
It is impossible to prepare for every eventuality , as I personally know, but this card is a simple way that we all could be a little bit secure. Leaving your pertinent information with trusted friends and family is the first step. Tragedies and accidents can happen anywhere at anytime.
robt65

Mood: Let me Check!

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 10:35 AM

It is important for one to read what is printed and not what one wishes to read or read into another’s posting. This is precisely why I asked if anyone knew if Ron has a “service connected” disability or medical condition that would allow him to participate in this VA “Foreign Medical Program”.

While this program is not very new, it is a program that is not commonly known about, even at the VA’s that are NOB. I have been a 90% disabled Vet for numerous years and (for example) I never heard of this program until a year or so ago. When I asked at my VA about the program, I was told everything from “there is no such program” to “Yes, there is such a program but I don’t know anything about it.”

It is a very good program from everything such as “secondary” medical events (sometimes to the laymen considered “new” to the “original service connected disability”), such as I had some necessary eye surgery that was a secondary event to the medicines I was being prescribed for my “Asbestosis”, which started making me go blind in my left eye. Then my depth perception was affected and I fell exiting my travel trailer and broke my knee cap, no my left leg. Both of the latter were considered “secondary events” to my original “service connected” disability, therefore they qualified as being serviced connected and were entered into my VA medical records. Both the two eye surgeries and the emergency medical treatment for my broken kneecap were considered “secondary” (new injury to me) and were both treated and paid for by the VA. They were also entered into my medical record for future reference to be considered now as part of my original “service connected” disability.

I highly doubt that anyone, except the Veteran themselves would have such knowledge at hand, except maybe the spouse. This is why it is important that as soon as Ron is capable to comprehend and well enough to make decisions, he can then check, if he is “service connected” and would even be reimbursed for such emergency care. For example if Ron has a service connected hearing disability and that was aggravated as a result of this confrontation, then he could be covered under the “service connected” portion of this program, even as a possible secondary event. When you are talking thousands of dollars for original care and more thousands of dollars for after care . . . . . . . including medications this can be an economically advantageous for the affected veteran.

I don’t even know if Ron is a “retired vet” with 20 or more year’s service. Does anyone else know this? Did he have some “serviced connected” medical condition? Does anyone else know this? The answers are usually “not sure”. We all tend to keep our medical or health issues pretty private. It is possible that not even his wife would know for sure.

All I can tell you is that since I have found out about this VA program it has saved me many thousands of dollars and time away from my family and home in Mexico. I no longer will have to travel over 650 miles to get to a VA clinic or hospital in the states to get care. Before this program, I was (every three months) having to go NOB to get my VA care and my meds. That travel usually total costs for travel alone, were about $1000 USD round trip, not to mention hotels if overnight was, and usually is, needed.

That is why I have offered this information to Ron and his family. I would suggest he (Ron) contact the following information numbers (toll free) from Mexico to find out for sure. No local VA has correct information regarding this VA Foreign Medical Program. Any reliable information can only be had by contacting the VA “Foreign Medical Program” offices in Denver, Colorado.

Anyone trying to call the VA and get ANY information about a Veteran isn’t really thinking straight. This information is highly confidential and will remain so, even to spouses or direct family. The VA must have on hand a specific “Power of Attorney” or a “Living Will” to share such information and only with the named person.

A cool and competent head at times of emergency, go father to assist than off the wall reactions.

robt65

VA TOLL FREE Phone Service
If you are traveling or reside in one of the following countries: USA, Canada, Germany, Australia, Italy, UK, Mexico, Japan, Costa Rica or Spain, use the following numbers to contact the FMP Office in Denver, Colorado

Country Number
USA and Canada (877) 345-8179
Germany 0800-1800-011
Australia 1 800 354 965
Italy 800 782-655
UK 0800-032-7425
Mexico 001-877-345-8179
Japan 00531-13-0871
Costa Rica 0800-013-0759
Spain 900-981-776

You can call the FMP Office Monday through Friday, 8:05 AM to 6:45 PM Eastern.

Change of Address

The HAC needs your help - if you change your address, it is vital that you let us know your new address. You can mail the information to PO BOX 469061, Denver, CO, 80246-9061. You can call us at 303-331-7590. Please help us keep our records up to date!

Quote:
Originally posted by baronvonbob
The VA program for this is for treatment of the existing Service Connected Disability, not new.

Quote:
Originally posted by robt65
- Ron has helped me via posting on another (MexConnect) site in regards to construction of my own home in Queretaro. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ron personally. I have read with great sadness of Ron & Cristinas misfortune. I have read every thread of all 27 pages regarding this medical problem.

I have a few questions myself. Being a 90% disabled Navy Veteran living in Mexico and married to a Mexicana, I have some information that may be able to help . . . . . . or not. Does anyone know for sure if Ron is a "service connected disabled" or if he is a "Retired Navy" Veteran? The VA does have a "Foreign Medical Program in effect in Mexico. It really is a pretty good program with several good options that could possibly save Ron & Cristina a bunch of money. Here is the VA site: http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/fmp/fmp.asp

Many Military Vets living in Mexico have no idea of this program. For those of you ready to run and get the information from this post, let me assure you that it takes a disabled vet who has been under the care of the VA System to begin to understand this program. There is a phone number listed on this VA site and I would suggest that Ron's close friends or "SiReNiTa" or "fdt" get this information to Ron's family for further consideration.

"SiReNiTa" or "fdt" or “oladulce” or "Morgaine7" and some others have very valid points. Losing one's head at times such as this for whatever reason only complicates matters. That sure isn't needed at times like these. Ron, I am sure will be reading these threads in the future as Morgaine7 has said. The last thing needed now is a bunch of we expats going off the deep end and hijacking Ron from a Mexican hospital.

Seems to me that "SiReNiTa" or "fdt" or “oladulce” are good contacts for now. Ron's daughter sure doesn't need any additional stress at this time. None of us knows her situation at this point, and I am sure it is none of our business what his personal relationship is or is not with his daughter. Push comes to shove, she is still his blood and I am sure (at times such as these) his daughter will do all she can for her father. If not she would not have come on a moment’s notice in the first place. What do any of us know of her circumstances? Nada!
"Just saying".

The VA has one of the very best medical centers in La Jolla just a short drive North of the border. How do I know this . . . . . . . I was there for some serious medical care. It is staffed by some of the very best doctors from the University of California, La Jolla part and parcel of the VA La Jolla Medical Center complex. retired or not, Service Connected or not, The VA will care for him there at no cost to him if needed. They have a Spinal Care Injury unit there with some of the very best Neurologists in the world practicing there.

Someone please get this information to Ron's daughter for consideration.

Get well soon Ron & Cristina, you still owe me some answers on my house remodel and addition. (smiling) You're in my prayers.

I apologize if I am not posting this correctly, as I have just joined today and I am not familiar with the way this site works yet.

Anyway . . . . . . . God Speed Ron & Cristina.

robt65

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
here's the story:
I spoke to Christine, Ron's daughter and she as oposed to what has been stated here has been with her dad and yes, they, her and her husband have gone back to the states to take care of their child as Sirenita stated and will return on friday. If for any reason Christine was not seen at Ron's bedside is that this young lady had to go and be also with Cristina, remember Ron's wife. So she was back and forth between hospitals. Did whoever did all this checking on Mri's or none do the same? I personaly have spoken with Christina and I believe what she is telling me, she sounds like a very centered young woman who is keeping her cool, way better than some others. s much as I'd like to be in solidarity with Sirenita and just not post on this subject in order to avoid beeing called one with false information, for Ron and Cristina I will continue monitoring and reporting. There bare more people involved that are in charge of Ron and Cristina. According to Christine (daughter) her dad IS doing much better, his swelling in the face has gone down and he has had an MRI. She, even thou not physicaly in Ensenada will be in constant contact with the doctor in charge of Ron and viceversa. If Ron does get released in three days there is someone there looking after him and will take care of him and the transport. As for Cristina's condition, it is also much better, she was drinking water already.
Now as for the moneys; The $5,000 dollars is the total estimate. Christine spent $10,000 pesos yesterday, $20,000 pesos today at the hospital and $7,000 for lab expenses (maybe the alleged MRI?) and yes, part of that was paid with a debit card. The balance is about $25,000 pesos, so all in all there you have the roughly $5,000 dollars.
It could be more so that is why this young woman and her husband went back to the US, to see if Ron had some funds available that they could get to pay for all this mess.
I recomend strongly that instead of putting someone down or critisizing for helping as much as posible, you should aplaud them for making the right decisions for the best interest of her dad and Cristina. They DID NOT JUST LEAVE, they left someone in charge!
Now Christine is aware of the monetary offers made here BUT NO, NO ONE IS MONITORING THIS THREAD TO HIKE UP THE BILL! She is aware of it because I told her! So now what, it aparently won't be for a transfer but to pay the hospital. If you all want, I can go as soon as mañana.
We were doing just fine in the afternoon with the good news that they are both getting better. What went wrong? Why can't it be possible? Why must they be the same or worse?

[Edited on 9-13-2011 by robt65]

[Edited on 9-13-2011 by robt65]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
If Ron and Cristina have Seguros Popular why can’t they make a deal with the hospital? Why do they need to pay out of pocket if they have insurance? It was not their choice to go to the hospital Red Cross delivered them to.

Seguro popular is not really an insurance even do the name says insurance. Seguro popular is just basic medical coverage designed for poor people in Mexico. And it only works in a seguro social clinic, you can't go to a private hospital and bill seguro popular because like i said, it is not insurance, its more like a program for poor people that can't afford regular medical coverage.

Pages:  1  ..  26    28    30  ..  70

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.