BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  26    28    30  31
Author: Subject: 'Double Wall Barrier' talk - Will GOP immigration rhetoric cost Latino votes?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-6-2011 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
FACTS only get liberals angry, as it spoils their concept of reality.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbdown.gif posted on 11-6-2011 at 01:45 PM
Do not feed the trolls!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2011 at 01:53 PM

Evidently the latest posts are not in line with your political leanings. So they're trolls? You decide who's a troll? :lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-6-2011 at 03:56 PM

JoeJJoe said above--------"The fact is Barry A has admitted he lost over half the value of his stock market holdings during the Bush years, and didn't regain the value until Obama came in and stimulated the economy. Barry A should be on his knees thanking Obama, and cursing Bush:"

Partially correct, JJJ, but highly misleading interpretation of what I actually said------(why am I not surprised at this?) :lol:

I did lose "over half" (58%) of the value of my Stock investments ON PAPER as of April 2009. Despite what is normally thought, Presidents have very little to do with how the Market goes. Markets go up and Markets go down, influenced by countless things too numerous to even mention here, few directly connected to Government action. I neither condemn or applaud Obama's or Bush's tangible contributions to the puzzle of Market action--------it was a Market cycle, which ALWAYS happens. And yes, the cycle reversed (as always happens) and I did regain all my losses by Jan. of 2011 because I essentially remained fully invested, and have now gone on to very mild profits. Obama (and Bush) had little to do with it. Since roughly 50% of the Nation's folks are one way or another invested in the Stock Market, I am sure that they had a similar experience as I did IF they remained invested throughout that time period, and til today. Certainly almost all of the top 5% crowd are invested in the Market, and consequently have also make back the huge losses they suffered------when you have 100's of thousands of dollars invested in the Market, losses and gains are HUGE, possibly reflecting why the so-called "1%'ers" have accrued so much wealth over the years. It certainly pays to be in the Market.

The economy is different than the Market, tho, and that is another story.

But, I have made all these observations before within this thread, and now as somebody just recently said, we seem to be going full circle (again) and it is getting boring. (to me, at least).

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-6-2011 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Military spending= jobs in the USA. Shipyards, aircraft construction, and all the other misc. items that keep our military up and running require a skilled workforce.:D

sounds like socialsim to me!

same $$ would be better spent creating jobs in elementary schools, homeless shelters, health care and parks/libraries.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 06:23 AM

Creating jobs in elementary schools? You mean a kick-back to the AFT. The rest of the jobs would only swell the ranks of the SEIU. Both unions are big supporters of the current administration. Which, by all standards, is the worse since Jimmy Carter.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Please explain to what extent cutting Stimulstion affects the Budget Deficit and Debt ?

[Edited on 11-6-2011 by MrBillM]

Please excuse my spelling error. I am on a fishing trip and wrote in haste.

I can understand how the context would not help some readers understand what the writer was saying. I will try to do better.

How Stimulation affects the economy. I think Robert Reich, Secretary of Labor under Clinton says it most simply. As a plus for those who have difficulty reading for context this is a video. You might actually enjoy the one liners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTzMqm2TwgE

Iflyfishandwillwrite"stimulation"onehundredtimesontheboard
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 07:06 AM

Fish--------Robert Reisch appears almost daily on the LARRY KUDLOW show on CNBC at 4 pm arguing with Steve Moore of the Wall Street Journal (executive editor I believe) and he (Riesch) does not make sense to me even in person.

Just totally different phylosophies as to how to get the economy going---------not sure who is right, but probably a combination of both their ideas, I suspect. We simply have to compromise in order to move forward----on both sides.

Barry
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
Creating jobs in elementary schools? You mean a kick-back to the AFT. The rest of the jobs would only swell the ranks of the SEIU. Both unions are big supporters of the current administration. Which, by all standards, is the worse since Jimmy Carter.

Where is all of the military hardware that was built for Iraq? Will it come home? Will it be melted into girders for new bridges? Will we get the expended cartridges back? What will we do with them? What will we do with all the napalm we dumped on the forests of Viet Nam? Where will the 4,500 men and women we lost in Iraq and Afghanistan work? Where will the 30,000 wounded find employment? What use will we put to all of the downed aircraft in the deserts of the Middle East? What public use will we put to the fuel we have burned to move, supply and transport our military? We have subsidized the largest Military Industrial Complex the world has ever seen, spent the largest part of our GDP on Military Hardware and support, built the world’s greatest war machine, become the world’s largest exporter of weapons and how has this contributed to our public schools, roads, bridges and infrastructure? Why is military spending a zero/sum game? When you touch off that rocket my friend it is GONE.

What do we have to show for our Military Industrial Complex and their Abrams tanks, redundant airplanes and on it goes? We have waved the flag and blown our horns and the sound has returned hollow and dead. You might require some help understanding that last line, it’s a metaphor but the spelling is pretty good.

As to the issue of the relative value of Military Spending compares versus infrastructure spending I will have to leave that to others, the salmon call! That too is a metaphor, of course we all understand that salmon don’t have a voice.

Others may post on the relative value of funding public education versus building private war manufacturing plants. I don't have the time right now.

Iflyfishsnarkysometimes
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 07:19 AM

Quote:

so, in your anger at teachers, you take it out on the kids. these are same kids that grow up and to be so stupid that all they can do is get a job in infantry as pawns in stanland.

why not support tem in youth, instead of buying gun to put in their hands in adulthood?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 07:59 AM

mtgoat666, Anger at teachers? What a crock! I taught school for several years, know all about the " We need more funds, more teachers, more...." mantra. Tell that to someone who hasn't been there.:D
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
mtgoat666, Anger at teachers? What a crock! I taught school for several years, know all about the " We need more funds, more teachers, more...." mantra. Tell that to someone who hasn't been there.:D

I've taught school from 10 y.o.'s to 30 y.o.'s - all public institutions. Been there, done that. I agree with the ol' goat. Let the MILITARY hold a bake sale the next time they want a new bomber. I do support annual certifcation of teachers for competency and I oppose tenure. That would get rid of some of the riff raff who aren't up on current affairs, current events, history, and who can't support their arguments with facts. ;D
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 12:14 PM

oxxo, Why wouldn't you agree with mtgoat666?:biggrin:
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 01:42 PM

Quite sure there is room of for improvement in all business operations and social institutions including the teaching profession. Been surrounded by and connected to teachers all my adult life: x-wife career teacher, daughter-in-law math professor in MD, son-in-law teacher, personal friends as teachers and principals, and I have taught at local community college part time for 16 years.

What is also clear is that more focus on education is needed in this country if we are going to keep a strong position in this world in the future as we are well on our way to having our clocks cleaned by other countries. Our comparative advantage is most likely going to lie in our advanced technology and industry that requires better educated people than this country is generating now overall. We in California started our decline with the Reagan Governorship. Pretty obvious turn of events considering his disrespect for education and other social institutions.

Improvement in education will mean more money spent on education, but improvement in education is not limited to just spending more money. However, we as a people need to be careful that the privatization pushers don’t get enough control and clout to further erode public education beyond what has occurred by the defunding efforts of the right wing. It is my opinion that the upper socio-economic strata of the right wing will only improve their education for their kids, but not the general publics’ kids.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 01:56 PM

MitchMan, Ever heard of vouchers?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 04:11 PM

Mitch---------have you been reading and watching the "Charter School" results??? Nothing short of miraculous---------and at a substantially lower cost than Public Education on a per-pupil basis.

Lots to learn out there for the Public School Admin. and teachers, and I wish they would pay attention instead of concentrating on protecting THEIR turf--------

-------It IS all about the kids, you know.

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

actually, it is about 3 things, the kids, the teachers and the system. w/o good teachers and effective system, the kids are toast.

you can't pee on teachers and system and expect to recruit good teachers for the kids. i really can't fault the teachers unions politics given the political hostility of many people on the right (e.g. cypress).

nothing is perfect, and the system is better than in many countries.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 04:49 PM

-------------Very true, Goat, but they (the Public Schools) have been given soooooo very much money, and sooooooo very much time, and the Public Schools CONTINUE to slip downhill--------a result, I think, of the control of schools being removed from the local community, as well as central planning gone amuk!!!!

Barry
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Mitch---------have you been reading and watching the "Charter School" results??? Nothing short of miraculous---------and at a substantially lower cost than Public Education on a per-pupil basis.

Lots to learn out there for the Public School Admin. and teachers, and I wish they would pay attention instead of concentrating on protecting THEIR turf--------

Barry

I know one of these successful charter schools. A friends child who could not make it in a regular school went to a "liberal arts" read touch feely, charter school. graduated with honors and now can not get into college. How are there scholastic test results? Maybe its just a problem in Arizona.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 04:57 PM

Hopefully THAT charter school will fail and disappear (tho the kids will suffer in the meantime)----------but at least it's a start in "change" that we can all wish for. I have heard not much good about the Public Schools lately, either.

Barry
 Pages:  1  ..  26    28    30  31

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.