Pages:  1  ..  27    29    31  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 07:20 AM

THANK YOU TIMETRAVELER
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 08:30 AM

Hi Doug,

Thanks for clarifying the situation. I know several posters on the thread were wondering why Tallartist never got back to this thread itself to give more information (I believe TallArtist on Nomads is also the same TallArtist Gretchen Smith unless you have more information on that topic). Coupled with her sensational tale of her incarceration at the Mexican jail, (some of it is true I am sure) I wasn't too sure and knew nothing of her communication with the family. "Just the facts"is just as important as 'considering the source". No harm, no foul.
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
As far as the Rosarito sighting, forget it. The woman was contacted and she never responded.

Never responded to whom? As noted in this thread, she's been in communication with Gary's family:

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew

Our sister-in-law Kim, has phoned Gretchen from the tallartist post on the sighting of Gary. We are so appreciative of her input and have passed this latest news to our family members.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca (for Kim)

I spoke to tallartist in Rosarito near Obrera...

I know you care, and want to help. Thank you. Be careful on what's communicated/stated/etc. - as it can affect credibility. Thank you again so very much for your care and concern for Gary's situation.

:)

[Edited on 10-26-2013 by BajaNomad]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 08:40 AM

Vicodin is not easily sold by pharmacies without question. I know even in hospitals in Ensenada post-Caesarean and post-op patients get only ibuprofen to relieve pain, as well as terminal cancer patients. Controlled substances require a special license to write a prescription for them. One lady I referred to Dr. Esquer in Ensenada because she needed Ambien (the drug is not sold in many pharmacies in Mexico and in the one it was sold in you needed a special prescription). For 30 10 mg. Ambien tablets she paid $1000 MX. She was very angry and said the same amount in the US is $20 American. This was with a prescription. I don't know what a pharmacy would charge without a prescription. I did hear that there was a pharmacy on La Bufadora that sells controlled substances without a prescription but I never have been there to see if that was a true story.
Quote:
Originally posted by TimeTraveler
I was not implying Vicodin was legitimately available OTC... But it is one of the meds that the pharmacies will easily sell without question. I was trying to alleviate the reply that "prescriptions are not needed in Baja" I know that you are totally correct in your statement though. As for contacting the physician since the meds are sold under different brand/generic names he may possibly try to confirm an equivalent medication to purchase. I agree, long shot, not likely but if he is "vacationing" it may be possible. Probably a waste of time but it was just a thought.

Back to the topic:
I "think" read in one post from the Patton group that they believe that it was a legit sighting based on a conversation she had with the family. (if I remember that statement correctly??)
I personally agree with your feeling that this was a... "mistake" by someone attempting good Samaritan and thank you for saving me this time and expense.

I will try to make a post on Race-desert.com and maybe desertrangers.com tomorrow.

HAS THIS BEEN DONE?

Is there any BN members with some clout on Race-desert that could do this? I am more of an observer there and someone respected would get a more benevolent response. If not I will do it... This will notify all of the race crews that are prerunning and racing. I will also try to get Mikes sky rancho to post the flyer on their FB as well.

I have very high hopes that with all of the astute racers and the remote areas that will be canvassed we can produce some viable information. The racing community is close knit and some will be willing to assist. Maybe with a little luck we can get some of the big boys to look around from their helicopters while traveling on their already planned routes. Some of these camera guys that film from the air have mil background and astute eyes. This whole area will be covered and in many cases, the salvage yards are scoured for race car/chase truck parts. This could be very beneficial.

I am praying for rescue VS recovery but in either situation closure. From the sound of it, he had a fairly significant amount of $$ with him and MAY have planned to live the Baja Life for a while.
I had a close friend who just wanted to drop off the grid (due to stress and personal factors) He took an extended vacation in Mexico to clear his head. Popped back up on his own timeline safe and sound. (with a much better outlook on life). This would be a best case scenario.

Thank you for the follow up.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
I did hear that there was a pharmacy on La Bufadora that sells controlled substances without a prescription but I never have been there to see if that was a true story.

Now...you know, without asking, that's counterfeit junk. A sack full of Percodan for 20 bucks?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 08:56 AM

You gotta believe in the power of placebos, and certainly a sack of placebos is better for that person anyway if they kill the pain.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
I did hear that there was a pharmacy on La Bufadora that sells controlled substances without a prescription but I never have been there to see if that was a true story.

Now...you know, without asking, that's counterfeit junk. A sack full of Percodan for 20 bucks?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TimeTraveler
OK, we have been down the pacific side and distributing flyers. Have yet to see any others posted. I think that this is very strange? We have talked to checkpoint staff and taco stands, general stores and every Pemex we see... One of my other chase crews a day behind us who noticed that even in areas that I personally posted flyers were removed the day after being posted. HUGE RED FLAG. The vibe I am getting is that someone may be tampering with our efforts? Does this sound feasible to anyone with more understanding then myself?

So much water has gone under the bridge. Can these flyers be put up here [again]?
Are they bi/lingual?

I can't imagine anyone following the "flyer trail" removing them. I can, however, imagine them being removed for lack of understanding, or a gesture of Gringo hatred. Don't think for a minute, that sentiment isn't out there.

BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 11:58 AM

Just returned from our backcountry trip. We left Vicente Guerrero last Sunday. Passed through Meling Ranch, Mikes Sky Rancho, San Martia, San Felipe, Puertocities, Gonzaga Bay, Cocos corner, and on into LA Bay. In Bahia we thoroughly checked every campo from town out to La Gringa and then south of town. We hung flyers and talked with a lot of people. Today we are checking Cape San Quintin and the surrounding area. Unfortunately, no results. No one that we talked with has seen him or the Toyota.

I need to head back to Cali Tuesday. When I return next week I'll be pretty busy pre running the 1000 so not sure how much more time I'll have to search for Gary.

If anyone has the time and inclination to search the area on the Pacific from El Rosario and down through Punta Baja and Punta San Antonio that would complete the search on the coast that covers approximately 50 miles North and South of Jardines Hotel.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 12:12 PM

Time Traveler! You were great at synthesizing all the info.

Baja Dixon, if anything ever happens to me, I sure want you on my team!

All of us are doing our parts, whether it is giving ideas, spreading the word, asking people if they saw him or hanging up flyers! Kudos to all, really.

It is so odd that the flyers would be removed.....but I had that same thought when it was first mentioned that my flyers at the gas stations were not there when someone else was coming south. Why? And .dennis is right when. He says there is anti- gringo sentiment out there .... some here in town seem to forget that I was born in the States and boy do they get an earful when I hear discrimination in any form coming out of their mouths ((((:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
and boy do they get an earful when I hear discrimination in any form coming out of their mouths ((((:

Go gettem, Blanca. :biggrin:

hey...do you know? Are all of these flyers bi-lingual?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 02:12 PM

Does anyone know if the flyers are bi-lingual? it's a pretty simple question.

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 02:22 PM

Dennis the ones I saw in San Quintin were bilingual,k

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Does anyone know if the flyers are bi-lingual? it's a pretty simple question.
yes. you can view the flier over at talk baja (which came from dougs facebook)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 03:34 PM

OK....thanks. I may have seen one there, but didn't remember that detail.

SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 03:48 PM

The Patton family continues to be amazed by the compassion that people have shown in the search for our Brother, Uncle, Dad, Grandfather and friend. Thank you for your invaluable support.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 05:42 PM

The ones I put up were bilingual.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
you can view the flier over at talk baja (which came from dougs facebook)

(which came from earlier in this same thread - on Sept 16)

;D

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:

;D

Which is also:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 10:25 AM

Of course!! If you want breaking news, it's at Baja Nomad!!
Quote:
Quote:

;D
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 10:44 AM

I just saw this flyer in a prominent place at Jardines last friday night.

Just an FYI....the federales at the checkpoint by el rosario were taking passport numbers and checking photo ids. They have a written log with names and vehicle year of mfg and plate numbers..

Don't know what it would take to see their logs......but might be worth a try
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdrrm8e
I just saw this flyer in a prominent place at Jardines last friday night.

Just an FYI....the federales at the checkpoint by el rosario were taking passport numbers and checking photo ids. They have a written log with names and vehicle year of mfg and plate numbers..

Don't know what it would take to see their logs......but might be worth a try

Same thing going on at the San Ignacio checkpoint yesterday afternoon.

However, the notetaking seems to vary during the day.

Just came through El Rosario checkpoint at 9:00 am yesterday morning. Just waved through and no real inspections or notetaking. Only three soldiers, two northbound and one southbound. About 15 soldiers were marching from the barracks/mess to the actual checkpoint so, probably in full operation in another ten or fifteen minutes.....
 Pages:  1  ..  27    29    31  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.