Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Electric Vehicles in Baja California
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 02:22 PM

EV drive train has 20 moving parts vs 200 for IC
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
EV drivers confident they can get their EV fixed in Baja? GN, Ciudad?

What's to fix? In my case which is typical, nothing of significance has needed to be "fixed" in 65+K miles. Tesla now has a better customer satisfaction and quality rating than Toyota (who used to be #1) according to the people who rate those things. There will be Tesla factory trained technicians available in the major population centers in Baja California within 5 years or less. Tesla is even negotiating with the Mexican Govt. to build a factory in Mexico. I am confident the new President of Mexico, and her political agenda, will make it happen. The movement to BEV's is going to be huge worldwide and in Baja California, just be patient for a little longer.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 02:58 PM

Suppose you drive your small SUV EV 250 miles down Baja and then stop to fill up with electrons at your hotel's charger. I know there are variables involved, but on average, how long will you be plugged into the charger juicing up?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
In Baja the numbers of EVs is so minimal that business owners just ignore chargers as it a waste of money.
The exception would be a hotel with a lot of folks staying there.

Now. As EVs become the wave of the future that will certainly change. And you are looking at within a few years, not decades.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
In Baja the numbers of EVs is so minimal that business owners just ignore chargers as it a waste of money.
The exception would be a hotel with a lot of folks staying there.

Now. As EVs become the wave of the future that will certainly change. And you are looking at within a few years, not decades.

Staying with the Baja theme........

I wonder if the Baja electrical grid is up to the task. I remember talk of a decision not to build any more generating plants on the peninsula and instead tie into the mainland via an underwater cable.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I wonder if the Baja electrical grid is up to the task. I remember talk of a decision not to build any more generating plants on the peninsula and instead tie into the mainland via an underwater cable.

I recently saw a very large solar farm off Hwy 1 just north of La Paz. It was so large I presume it was a project by BCS Govt. I presume we will see many more of these solar farms throughout Mexico as a result of the new President's political agenda. This is good news for Baja California as more supporting infrastructure for BEV's is installed.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 06:34 PM

Try checking out one of the charger apps before planning to charge at a destination. Multiple reports showing chargers were not working in La Paz at the shopping plaza when people drove there expecting to charge. The best exception in La Paz? If you are staying there overnite, Hotel One has always reported as working. 2- 18KW Tesla chargers and also the one J1772

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 06:48 PM

Suppose you drive your small SUV EV 250 miles down Baja and then stop to fill up with electrons at your hotel's charger. I know there are variables involved, but on average, how long will you be plugged into the charger juicing up?

It depends on the state of charge of your BEV. The destination chargers at the dozens of hotels in Baja California are Level 2 chargers and it can take up to 8 hours (overnight) at this type of charger. The one exception is the Tesla branded Supercharger which are Level 3 (much faster). The only Lever 3 Supercharger in all of Baja California is Hotel Coral just north of the tourist area in Ensenada. There are 6 connections there. It will take about 30 minutes to fill up at that one location, depending on your state of charge.

Tesla builds their Supercharger locations close to well lighted locations close to shopping, eating, and accommodations within a couple of blocks. The commercial establishments give the land to Tesla on long term leases. So Tesla only has the cost of site preparations and equipment (which is recyclable). These locations become cash cows to the local merchants who have a steady, captive audience as customers.

It is only a matter of short time before Baja merchants realize the financial benefits to them and we will see additional Level 3 Superchargers popping up along Hwy 1.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Try checking out one of the charger apps before planning to charge at a destination. Multiple reports showing chargers were not working in La Paz at the shopping plaza when people drove there expecting to charge.

Just to be clear, Level 2 chargers are NOT Tesla branded chargers. Tesla does not maintain, repair, or service these chargers. They are serviced by the hotels that own them privately.

Tesla Level 3 Superchargers are serviced by Tesla. It is rare when you find one that isn't working. When not working they are repaired within a day or two. And the chargers are NOT connected in series. When one is out, the others continue to work.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  

I recently saw a very large solar farm off Hwy 1 just north of La Paz. It was so large I presume it was a project by BCS Govt. I presume we will see many more of these solar farms throughout Mexico as a result of the new President's political agenda. This is good news for Baja California as more supporting infrastructure for BEV's is installed.

Agreed! Mow down more virgin desert to provide electrical charge for cars with batteries mined in Africa by children!
And keep the gas stations running as before so the reliable transportation network can continue. Win win for everyone, right!?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 08:30 PM

Virgin desert? You mean the desert off-roaders have so much reverence for they consider it their personal playground and tear through it on their fossil-fueled vehicles, disturbing all the creatures that live there and spewing exhaust all over everything? That virgin desert?

[Edited on 6-5-2024 by surabi]
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-4-2024 at 10:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Virgin desert? You mean the desert off-roaders have so much reverence for they consider it their personal playground and tear through it on their fossil-fueled vehicles, disturbing all the creatures that live there and spewing exhaust all over everything? That virgin desert?

:thumbup: :spingrin:
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2024 at 07:03 AM

oxxo, what is that more "dense" alternative to cobalt you speak of? I looked and couldn't find what you were talking about.
Flatfish

[*] posted on 6-5-2024 at 10:24 AM

Personally, I just don’t see the “future” of EV vehicles. Power grids cannot keep up with current demand and brown outs are fairly common. There would have to be a massive turn around to install enough working charging stations if the proposed demand does indeed come into play and the capitol investment would be massive. I’m all for alternative energy, but mainstay everyday EV cars for the masses has a lot of issues. Yes, recycling exists but with solar panels wearing out, wind farms maintenance, and EV batteries on the rise there is not enough inventive to do anything about the “end” product if you will. I won’t even get into the money and diesel gas that it takes to mine the special minerals needed for these “economic” vehicles…..
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2024 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Flatfish  
Yes, recycling exists but with solar panels wearing out, wind farms maintenance..

Are you under the impression that traditional electrical grids don't have equipment that wears out and requires maintenance?
Are you under the impression that their aren't people working on solutions to the issues you mention?

All new technologies required new ways of dealing with things and new infrastructure, which humans found ways to address.
If not, we'd all still be using horse and buggy because no one could envision building roads and highways and gas stations.

[Edited on 6-5-2024 by surabi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-5-2024 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Flatfish  
Personally, I just don’t see the “future” of EV vehicles.

I think you must be blind!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2024 at 11:37 AM

The problem at present in Baja is the grid electricity demand is growing well beyond the ability to install renewable supplies. Consequently, since 2022 power suppliers have been increasingly using petroleum (mainly diesel) generators to meet peak demands and renewable supplies continue to fall as a percentage of total power.

https://www.dnv.com/article/the-baja-california-peninsula-en...

However, this far more efficient solution is now being built to offset the need for portable diesel plants, using modern high efficiency combined cycle natural gas generation.

https://constructionreviewonline.com/construction-projects/c...

[Edited on 6-5-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2024 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  

I would guess this is the Aura Solar Farm which was built long ago and supplies about 32 mw power to the grid since before 2020. It was to be stage 1 of about 60mw but since then no more has been built and the trend has been back to Petroleum sourced power for the grid, notably the most recent combined cycle natural gas plant out by Pichilingue

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2024 at 03:06 PM

I watched an in-depth video about recycled EV batteries, which I can't find now. It included an interview with a guy who once worked for Tesla and is now starting a battery recycling business.

His biggest problem is it currently costs more to build batteries from recycled materials than it does to build them from materials that come out of the ground. Extracting the elements from used battery packs is a complicated, energy-intensive, expensive, and nasty chemical process.

I dunno. I'm 50/50 on EVs. And I think that's the future. Both new EVs and new ICE automobiles will be available. Buy what you want.

[Edited on 6-5-2024 by SFandH]

Flatfish

[*] posted on 6-5-2024 at 05:02 PM

Lots of interesting discussion on here. Enjoying the thread. Too bad some folks come to name calling though…..
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.