Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: ECR - Santa Gertrudis to San Ignacio
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Just got home, and I am downloading your file now.

4x4abc has tons of waypoints, so you should get some good info there.

And of course Kevin and Genevieve have many waypoints for the trail itself.

Kevin picked a route that is not completely covered by (the other) Kevin's waypoints

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  
Harald,
I can see the logic in having the waypoints exactly on the trail, so I am changing my waypoints. It is not difficult or time consuming, but I am limited in the number of free edits I get with the online PDF editors. When I finish, I will send you the PDF sheets and post them here. I will likely eventually add compass directions as well, but I might do this by hand on the printed maps.

[Edited on 10-21-2024 by cupcake]

just load the waypoints into your GPS - that's what it was designed for

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 10:54 AM

use Google earth to set your waypoints - much more accurate than the topo sheets

Harald Pietschmann
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 12:58 PM

https://filebin.net/fn8b7iovjbgh4hjy

The above link is to the the PDF of my Santa Gertrudis to San Ignacio route, with GPS waypoints moved onto the trail. This link remains active for six days only.

I have been advised that some of this route is not the original ECR. Harald has sent files to me that contain route variations, which I plan on incorporating into my map when I can. I imagine if I took a guide / vaquero on this trek, they also might have their own trail variations that they like to use.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 03:04 PM

The above link is to the the PDF of my Santa Gertrudis to San Ignacio route, with GPS waypoints moved onto the trail. This link remains active for six days only.

I have been advised that some of this route is not the original ECR. Harald has sent files to me that contain route variations, which I plan on incorporating into my map when I can. I imagine if I took a guide / vaquero on this trek, they also might have their own trail variations that they like to use.

Here is from today's download, of the south end, from San Ignacio north, first map:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 07:08 PM

none of your route is ECR
they are various roads built by the French mining company Boleo around 1910
that's why they are so straight
mining engineers can only think in straight lines
the Boleo roads are in various stages of decay, because they are rarely used by locals
it is very difficult to find true ECR trail sections in areas where Boleo has been active
the original concession Boleo had around Santa Rosalia was 220 sq miles (mining)
it was later expanded to 2317sq miles mainly to produce food for the population of Santa Rosalia
that was an area as far north as San Borja and as far south as San Jose de Gracia
the main hub for the Boleo roads was San Ignacio
during that time Santa Rosalia was the largest urban center in all of Baja
(Settlements in Baja California: 1768-1930
George F. Deasy and Peter Gerhard)
like many large companies during that time, Boleo did not want to leave food supply to local sources - they wanted to be the producer and seller - workers were forced to only buy in Boleo stores

parts of this old road are wonderfully easy to travel on (like between Santa Gertrudis and Rancho Las Parras/Las Juntas)- much of it in other areas is in such bad shape that only a local guide (if he even knows what you are talking about) can guide you safely from end to end
large sections are even hard to spot on satellite images - only the fact that they are often dead straight helps you spot something that looks like a road miles ahead
hikers with a solid Baja background like Genevieve and Kevin have no trouble following the routes independently.

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 08:01 PM

this section does not exist in reality
it shows on the topo maps
but the trails in the area are completely different than on INEGI

Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at 7.12.35 PM.png - 234kB

here is real life on Google Earth
there is no connection from 27.84454, -113.04296 eastwards to 27.83338, -113.02520

there is the option to follow the Boleo track (grey) east from 27.854486°
the southern leg of this track is very difficult to navigate!
or go south on the newly built highway (white) from that point on

Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at 7.31.37 PM copy.jpg - 298kB

the area in question is found on maps as Buenos Aires - a former Boleo cattle ranch

Kevin and Genevieve have a few spots marked in that area

Kevin.jpg - 257kB

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.