Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11
Author: Subject: The Villages of Loreto Bay
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 11:09 PM
Get over it

It amazed me 5 years ago the prices people were willing to pay to live in Tahoe and Palm Springs. And as it turned out, that was the time to buy. I'm sure the people the 10, 20, and 40 years before that thought the same thing.

Moral of the story: buy as much property as you can.

But you must use your judgement what you think value is. I'm not sure there is value in Loreto Bay. I looked a bit and it seems suspect to me.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2004 at 12:03 AM

Wasn't it Will Rogers who said " Buy land, they are not making anymore of it". :lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 02:41 PM

Just arrived home after a 8 day turn around to La Paz. sorry I did not get to see those that I had attend to see. Next trip!
I will post some update info after I get unpacked and love my Wife and goats, Cows and Horse< All in that order!
Any one wanting to go private please u2u me are email at sonrisa@dospalos.org

Skeet/Loreto

"In God We Trust"
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 06:32 PM

JZ: the Loreto Bay development is not the same type of residential other primary home development you find in the U.S. and Canada, with people wanting to purchase a home and raise their families and find a job in the community. This development is proposed to be built in an ecologically sensitive area, with many promises from FONATUR (responsibility for the water and infrastructure - which has had little success with any of its past projects); is overpriced compared with comparable labor rates and land prices in the U.S., and is not warranted by reason of need. Consider this excerpt from Sam Quinones, Feb. 17, 2002, SF Cronicle: ?Cancun, a Fonatur project, is generally regarded to have wreaked widespread environmental damage. The Baja Peninsula is dotted with smaller projects built with Fonatur funds in the 1970s and 1980s that either weren't finished or never attracted the projected numbers of tourists. But those days are gone. Limited by slim budgets, Fonatur now mostly sells tourism ideas to the private sector. In a Mexico of increasingly active media and civic groups, Fonatur also must lobby community business interests, local politicians, residents, academics and environmental groups as well as investors.? To me, that does not guarantee that the portions of Loreto Bay that FONATUR is responsible for, will ever get finished.
Nopolo has been around for years, and there has been little interest. These Canadian developers are pushing their agenda, peddling it from town to town (they were in San Diego last month). In Loretobay.com?s hype pertaining to David Butterfield, President of The Trust for Sustainable Development (a land development company), it stated that he undertook 7 years of research and design for the planned community of Bamberton, Vancouver island, involving a metamorphosis of a derelict industrial site into what ?would have been? an ecologically responsible community. The entire project was scrapped due to a mixture of political and financial difficulties. (see www.tombender.org/bamberton.html). Criticism of Bamberton?s ranged from appropriate architecture styles, sewage treatment, open space, to the need to upgrade energy performance standards. Much of the Bamberton hype is the type of rubber-stamp project goals they now intend for Loreto Bay.
Butterfield is also credited with Tucson?s Civano ?sustainable? community - only now building Neighborhood 2 and 3, some 10 years after acquiring the land. As early as August 2000, the Civano plan was beginning to diverge from its master plan, and Butterfield is no longer involved. This ?new town? of Loreto Bay will not be finished (as envisioned) for many years, yet the first persons buying into it will be paying for all the promises in the interim. And, unlike Civano, there is no partnership with the likes of City governments, and Fannie Mae to oversee progress and ensure some measure of success.

Commenting on the price of property in Lake Tahoe 5 years ago, as a matter of fact, many homes were available at $170,000 or lower - the same price as the lower priced homes in Loreto Bay. (Their online brochure lists home beginning at $150,000, but in San Diego the low-end price was advertised at $170,000). Think about it - what you get at Lake Tahoe is a secure title, a home on your own lot that you owned (not leased) for life, infrastructure already in place, a beautiful lake, mountains, recreation, entertainment, medical care, no HOA fees, etc. I just received a brochure for a retirement development in Port St. Lucia, Florida, which includes golf courses, pools, spas, craft/meeting rooms, and a host of other amenities, starting at $70,000, and topping out at $125,000. (The land has a fixed rate lease). $170,000 will go a long way in Baja in an authentic Baja California town ? one which you can start enjoying immediately - not something in a false fa?ade of a Baja pueblo, with a lot of promises and "narrow streets" where no cars will be allowed, and the view blocked. I agree that buying property is usually a good investment, but the value is only contingent upon a fair price, which is usually based on current market value ? a dubious calculation at this time, as would be ?equity? and ?capital gain? on the same premise. Renting to offset your monthly payment? Consider the competition and the fact that they?re not built yet. The project is speculative at best, and a gamble for sure.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 10:42 PM

Very accruate and truthful Post .

Skeet/Loreto

"In God we Trust"
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2004 at 09:32 AM
Loreto Bay update

I just found this thread. You all have really thrashed this subject out! I've been in touch with a salesman from Loreto Bay. They weave a very compelling story. Sales have gone quite well. They sold $8 million of real estate at their March sales event. I was recently emailed a projection of rental income that I think you'll find interesting. Their assumption is based on a buyer puting 30% down and financing the rest at 8.375%, According to this, one could break even at a minimum, or even make a tidy little positive cash flow! Their sample is based on a 2 bedroom village home with Beach club membership($5000 extra) selling for $250k. They're projecting rental rates from $250 to $450 per night and 200 nights per year of occupancy. Here are the costs:

50% split with property mgr. $25000
Furniture Reserve of 2% $1000 to $2800
HOA $1800
Utilities $2400
Maintenance and Misc. $1000
Taxes $1500
Insurance $900
Bank Trust fee $350

I've attached the document if you want to look at it. Have at it! I have no affiliation with this project, just posting this for information purposes.

[Edited on 5-15-2004 by rogerj1]
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 5-15-2004 at 06:15 PM
rental rates

let's see, a sales person said there is a projection you could get $450 a night and you could get that for 200 nights a year...ask the manager of the hotel at Nopolo ,I was there in Feb. and it was vacant...I do not think you could get $450 Pesos per night at Loreto Bay...
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2004 at 07:47 PM
scam

This kind of project looks more like a scam to get a lot of money through loans out of banks. Many projects like this have failed in Baja in the past but have replenished crooks developers in the past. For sure it is doomed to fail as numbers do NOT add up
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2004 at 08:37 PM
Doesn't look promising to me

dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2004 at 06:18 AM

sounds way overpriced, baja has so many more nice areas that you can get into for a fraction of these prices, plus loreto has got to be one of the hottest places in the summer time, ive been through there when temps are in excess of 110*but it is a pretty place.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 05:59 AM
$450 a nite, 200 nites!!! ha ha ha

what a joke! that's why the chivato hotel is always empty.

no one will pay that, the realtors are scamming suckers again. buy yes , but don't expect it to flow cash!!

I can't wait for the next seminar they put on in Scottsdale, i will attend and goof them up with Q's from a baja regular!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 09:08 AM
Beach Membership!!!

I remember the days of camping,snorkeling and relaxing at Nolpolo,never thought by 2004 one would have to buy a beach membership for $5000...best memory at Nopolo:the day a dorado chased a flying fish right up on the beach...

I hear the whales song
richard nauman
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 04:03 PM
Cost of Rentals

$450 a night to rent a house in Loreto? I laughed so hard when I read it beer came out my nose and now my key board is all sticky. At least for now you can rent a nice house with a pool for a week for about $600 and have El Rey de Tacos just down the street. I think the Posada de los Flores is only around $150/night with that nice roof top pool and bar. Or if you're like me you can stay at Palmas Altas for $25/night. I'll stay in town with the Mexicans and the Roosters anytime its way more fun.
RN
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 5-17-2004 at 08:05 PM

AMEN!!!
El Almirante
Junior Nomad

question.gif posted on 5-18-2004 at 08:20 AM
Prices at Punta Nopolo

Do any of you in the Loreto area have an opinion on the prices and features of the Punta Nopolo condos? I know the first phase is built and I think they're starting the second, so there is actually something there, as opposed to the promises to build of Loreto Bay. Also, the proximity to the golf course and beach interests me. Thanks for any replies
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 5-18-2004 at 06:43 PM
Punta Nopolo

The builder brothers are friends of ours. We've visited several of the owners frequently. They are Mexican Nationals from the mainland. Their website will show you Phase two has about four or five units left to sell, and not even broken ground yet (12 unit building) It also lists the prices. Any other questions, come back with them.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 06:10 PM
loreto bay rentals

I am a resident with a business in tourism in Loreto and after eight years in the business and my knowledge of the local hotels pricings and ammenities, this proposed rental program of which I read and hear about from buyers, will be the demise of this project.

I really want to see Loreto Bay work, Loreto needs the boost in the economy... but to tell folks that they'll be able to rent a 1,600 ft2 home out for $300/night 200 days a year? Get real! Will never happen.

Its enough that they just sell the homes to these buyers, but they want to keep right on milking them out of 50% of their rental income. Bad business. I sure hope they see this and change their policy.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 5-21-2004 at 08:51 PM
Research for us?

Hi Pam, How about if you go "have a chat" with the" big guys" and let us know what you find out? You are a reputable biz owner and know the laws of the land.Give us all a report when you get the first-hand info,por favor.Gracias, Sally

[Edited on 5-22-2004 by Sallysouth]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 08:41 AM
yes!! Pam, you need to get your input

etc. to Jim Grogan, the jefe of all that officed here in sunny ond HOTTT!!! Scottsdale where i live..... get his contact info off the web site for LB.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 04:54 PM
DA big boyz

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Hi Pam, How about if you go "have a chat" with the" big guys" and let us know what you find out? You are a reputable biz owner and know the laws of the land.Give us all a report when you get the first-hand info,por favor.Gracias, Sall

I'll wait for those big boys to come to me.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.