Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Laja
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 08:24 AM

jimgrms, I don't even drink, but your screw top post was great!

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 08:43 AM
jimgrms----------

------------Wine????? Seldom touch that stuff.

I have heard that some really good wine does come in screw-top bottles, tho. Probably too expensive for me.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 11:53 AM
for the record

what thebajarunner and I spent at Laja exceeded the cost of all other food for the week we were in Baja, but worth it all

we ate Dinty Moore stew a couple of nights before at San Pedro Martir

we are just regular guys:cool:

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 12:17 PM
My Kind of People------yessssssssss

:lol:
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 03:18 PM

Boones farm is good stuff at 3.50 a bottle
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 04:13 PM

Yeah, and you can usually fit several straws into the top at once for a special vintners treat....
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 08:14 PM

We had la cena at Laja yesterday to celebrate Mothers Day and bajamigo's birthday!
What a TREAT! Here is what we had: Straight from their garden lettuce and herb salad (we noted some dill!); marinated sardines with tender arugula and japanese turnips; beet and santa rosa plum borscht; carrot and sage ravioli with snap peas; braised "botete" fish with pancetta, sauteed purple cauliflower and chinse asparagus; oven roasted lamb with fava beans; grapefruit and olive oil sorbets with lemon balm sorbet; spiced rice pudding with peaches and a strawberry cold soup.

While there for the umpteenth time we learned they actually grow most if not all of their own veggies and herbs. All the meat(s) come from neighboring growers; that botete(the fish)...we asked him (Jair) about that and he told us it was unusual fish...blah, blah, blah but when we got home and looked it up...holy crap!!! And we lived to tell about it. Not sure it was the same botete of Nomad fame!

The meal was exceptional as always; and Jair gave us a tour of the kitchen..and THE BAKERY - that's where alll the fab pan comes from. The baker gave us a baguette para llevar which was part of desayuno esta manana!

OK, the cuenta is big, mis amigos, pero worth every peso. So, I gave you the WHOLE menu, which we had at $690 pesos per person (and yes, we had a bottle of wine on top of that, that was another 50 bucks); if you do the 4 course (one from each) it's $520 pesos pp; but imho go for broke; it's only a few bucks more and you get it ALL! If you dont' want to do that; do the 4 course (if there are 2 of you) and each order the opposite thing...then you can taste everything!

Don't shy away from something because you think you don't like it; this is the benefit of a "TASTING" menu! It's just a taste ("but very satifying" and if you don't like it these guys will fall all over themselves to make you like somthing!

Oh, we enjoyed a bottle of Casa de Piedra - Piedra del Sol - which to our surprise was a Chardnonay! It was fab! And we got the last bottle!!!!

Buen provecho!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 08:22 PM

BB ----

I've never heard of half that stuff but, it has to be good.
Bajamigo told me you guys like to visit New York for the occasional bacchanal so it sounds like you found something closer to home. Too cool.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 08:25 PM

Dennis, next time you'll be our guest!
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 09:32 PM
Tempranillo . Re: 1st post

I 've still been looking for a bottle to try with no luck

Any one know where to find Xin?

Thanks

Lero
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Bajarunner's 4-course gourmet (with all organic ingredients) dinner with a very good wine cost a very reasonable US $120 approximately.

I have been fortunate enough to dine at Laja and the ambience, the view, the gracious service and, most importantly, the food is world class.

You would pay US $300+ for an equivalent experience in Europe.

I LIVE in Europe (Austria) and we (spouse and me) are VERY choosy when it comes to FOOD, and a 4 course Dinner for a 300+ would mean to me - LOTS of expemsive Imporrtet wine with it - that expands the costs.
A 4 course dinner for 2 is for around 100 to 150 Euro available at an upperclass Restaurant.
In general I found it more expensive in US when it comes to REALLY good food.

Cheers >f<
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Bajarunner's 4-course gourmet (with all organic ingredients) dinner with a very good wine cost a very reasonable US $120 approximately.

I have been fortunate enough to dine at Laja and the ambience, the view, the gracious service and, most importantly, the food is world class.

You would pay US $300+ for an equivalent experience in Europe.

I LIVE in Europe (Austria) and we (spouse and me) are VERY choosy when it comes to FOOD, and a 4 course Dinner for a 300+ would mean to me - LOTS of expemsive Imporrtet wine with it - that expands the costs.
A 4 course dinner for 2 is for around 100 to 150 Euro available at an upperclass Restaurant.
In general I found it more expensive in US when it comes to REALLY good food.

Cheers >f<

Maybe thats the reason the best French restaurant in the world is in Yountville California, and not France.;D

bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 08:28 AM

If you're talking about the French Laundry, I would say Laja compares quite favorably. And it's a lot easier to get a reservation.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
... braised "botete" fish with pancetta ...

That's puffer, right? :o:lol::lol:
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 04:32 PM

according to the internet, yes, but I don't think that's what it was.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 04:34 PM

Legs,

"As Gyspy Jan inferred, there is a difference between "eating" and "dining"." Now that was well said.

I have greatly appreciated the food of the Baja. I have had food off carts and in fine places like Tres Virgines or the Patio at Juan and Shari's. The tastes, of all this food, supurb!. All different and all memorable! Taste is what makes for great art and great food.

I don't eat Foie Gras every day, but once in a while, incredible!

Iflyfish
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.