BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Favorite Fish in Sea of Cortez to catch or to eat?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 9-20-2006 at 08:53 PM
Can u catch fish Al?

Piece o' pie Al it's all about sauce.....

can you say: S A U C E ??

Make sauce! Bring sauce!

Good lord, that's all anyone cares about anymore....!:lol::lol::lol: Hey, it' goooooood!:tumble::spingrin::spingrin::tumble:

VIVA LA SALSA!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 10:39 PM

1. Wahoo
2. Sheepshead

Therianthropic
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 01:26 AM

Favorit on my plate YELLOW TAIL , as long as I don't have to cook it (hate the smelly fingers) - and with my own made favorit sauce.
Favorit catch (with camera ONLY) SHARK's !!!

[Edited on 21-9-2006 by FARASHA]

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
Favorit to catch (with camera ONLY) SHARK's !!!

good girl:cool::coolup: shark-friendly is good!

No, not me!:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 02:49 AM

The BEST catch we ever had!! But it wasn't in SOC.
[img]http://mail.a1.net/redirect/http://mem.a1.net:81/a1mail/attach/Shark05.jpg?[/img]
HOPE this works - it would not open on my PC in time.
IF it doesn't then I need HELP!!!!
Tried to insert it like Sharksbaja did with his tempting pic's - but couldn't manage.

Beside it - I'm friendly with every exsisting creature, as long as it doesn't attack ME.

[Edited on 21-9-2006 by FARASHA]

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 04:38 AM

Those are some super pictures! Making me hungry. Thanks Sharks.:) Mike. Watched a guy trun Sheephead into Pargo once. He fileted 'em and skinned 'em. Sold it as red snapper.:o
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 07:30 AM
If Only....

we could talk all the mexicans trying to make a living into leaving the sharks alone...that would be good...

Sharks.jpg - 25kB
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 07:31 AM

Shark Baja asked "Can u catch fish Al?"
If you are talking to SoCalAl my answer is SI SEņOR... I am not the best and certainly not the worst. I love light tackle fishing upto 100lbs for I am not going out there and getting into it with a 300 to 400 Marlin, tuna or whatever and then release after it kicked my a$$. Nohhhh, if I have to sweat my butt off to catch it, I am going to eat it and that's the bottom line (or surface line too).:lol: I enjoy fishing the coast line the most for halibut, corvina, white sea bass and misc bass, pearch and others. I have been fishing since I was 11 yrs old. I used to ride the RTD (bus) from L.A. to Long Beach and I would catch bonito and mackerel. Then I would jump on the cattle boats and fish the islands (Catalina, San Clemente, Santa Rosa and etc.) Did lots of trips to Todos Santos island in Ensenada and just a few trips to San Quintin and LA Bay. So Shark Baja maybe one of these summers when God allows we can get together and catch a few, cook them fresh while the meat is still trembling and I will teach you make Salsa and you can teach me to cook the trigger fish plate.:cool:

By the way <b> Skip Jack Joe </b>, I need a tip on those Jack Caravel. I saw a whole bunch a couple years back in LA Bay I saw a bunch of Jack's and I threw grubs at them and squid but I could not get the suckers to bite.

Great Stuffs Nomads, enjoyed the post.

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 08:01 AM
tasty fishes

Catching...Roosterfish...Nematistius Pectoralis!

Eating....Pompano, triggerfish, and of course the ever so tasty perico ( parrotfish ).
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 09:55 AM

Cardon Man. Have enjoyed both Pompano and Triggerfish. Parrotfish? Gonna have to try it. A previous post indicated that they have a bad smell.:)
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 01:05 PM
SoCalAl

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalAl
Shark Baja asked "Can u catch fish Al?"
If you are talking to SoCalAl my answer is SI SEņOR... I am not the best and certainly not the worst. I love light tackle fishing upto 100lbs for I am not going out there and getting into it with a 300 to 400 Marlin, tuna or whatever and then release after it kicked my a$$. Nohhhh, if I have to sweat my butt off to catch it, I am going to eat it and that's the bottom line (or surface line too).:lol: I enjoy fishing the coast line the most for halibut, corvina, white sea bass and misc bass, pearch and others. I have been fishing since I was 11 yrs old. I used to ride the RTD (bus) from L.A. to Long Beach and I would catch bonito and mackerel. Then I would jump on the cattle boats and fish the islands (Catalina, San Clemente, Santa Rosa and etc.) Did lots of trips to Todos Santos island in Ensenada and just a few trips to San Quintin and LA Bay. So Shark Baja maybe one of these summers when God allows we can get together and catch a few, cook them fresh while the meat is still trembling and I will teach you make Salsa and you can teach me to cook the trigger fish plate.:cool:

By the way <b> Skip Jack Joe </b>, I need a tip on those Jack Caravel. I saw a whole bunch a couple years back in LA Bay I saw a bunch of Jack's and I threw grubs at them and squid but I could not get the suckers to bite.

Great Stuffs Nomads, enjoyed the post.

Hey SoCal. I haven't heard anyone call a bus an RTD bus since, well, ...since they stopped being RTD buses, that's pretty cool. I've come full circle, so to speak, with fishing and I too have come back to my roots and enjoy lite lines and tackle and surf fishing on the coast... all that stuff!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 01:30 PM

Pargo, About those Jacks? Don't let a live bait get near 'em, but live bait will tempt most anything.;);)
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 08:00 AM

Cypress, live chovies, mackerel, sardine, squid or will a small bay bass do? What ever works is what I want to try next time I come down to BOLA.
Pargo - That's how long it has been since I rode the bus. It's still RTD in my mind and MTA as they call it today just does not sound right. I guess I am old school. The fishing never changes though still catching the same type of fish year after year and always looking to add the one missing to the list. Maybe we should start a new post and see who's caught what over their life time of fishing. What do you think?

Have a great day Baja Gente (People),
Alex L:yes:

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:30 AM
SoCalAl

Fresh caught fish is what I do. Only, boats were a previous part of our daily lives. When we made the switch to Oregon I gave up a lifetime of diving, deep sea fishing and such.
Yes, I still dive and fish but now always from some shore or spot we can call our own for the day. Bulky dive gear and boats take waaaaaay too much space anyhoo.:lol:
Now, either a pole and some bait or a mask and some fins. Good to go!

When I get that kitchen(and house) shoveled out and up and running. BIG ARSE PARTY! Come early we'll make a fish plate!

It'll be a little while.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 02:24 PM

SoCalAl and Sharks, Ya'll are two #1 fishermen. If things work out there's a chance we can all wet a line together. Got my fingers crossed.:yes::yes:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 02:43 PM

White sea bass-Cavicucho

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 05:50 PM
jack crevalle

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalAl

I've caught most of mine on Krocodiles, Broken back rebels, and poppers. Yes, they take popper pretty well actually.

I don't think it's the lures you're using that's the problem. They can be difficult. They hunt in packs and the best time to catch them is when a pack has cornered baitfish and is ravaging them. That seems to occur in the mornings and evenings most often. Years ago I camped on the shores near Cabo Pulmo and the jacks would appear like clockwork. They showed up around 5PM in a formation of about 3 fish across and maybe 50 fish long. And when they showed up you knew it meant trouble. They attacked like a wolf pack and there was destruction like you couldn't believe. Casting to a moving pack rarely resulted in a take but once the slashing started you were guarantted a hookup. It was opportunistic fishing. You had to pay attention and be ready.

I discovered that in March and April these fish would often move in tight schools during the day but would refuse everything you threw at them. Some have told me that they were preparing to spawn at that time.

On the other hand I have fished schools near San Lucas Cove that were not actively feeding in Octobber and got bit well. Although those schools had been feeding heavily throughout the day.

If there are schools of sardinas near shore chances are the toros are around somewhere. If you find a big school of baitfish in a small cove or a corner there will almost always be toro around. You just don't know when they will make their move.

Alex with what looks like a 7lb toro caught in Pt. Escondido in December.

baja_alex_9.jpg - 21kB
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 07:39 PM
Vgabndo

You're absolutely right; that's what the locals call Cabazon and I think is called Jawfish in English.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 05:51 AM

The Cabazon looks sorta like a bourbot. Some folks refer to bourbot as "Poor Man's Lobster".:D
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-24-2006 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Piece o' pie Al it's all about sauce.....

can you say: S A U C E ??

Make sauce! Bring sauce!

Good lord, that's all anyone cares about anymore....!:lol::lol::lol: Hey, it' goooooood!:tumble::spingrin::spingrin::tumble:

VIVA LA SALSA!

SharksBaja, Not super at Salt water fishing, but I bet I could catch some for dinner. I hope so, because I intend to live out my days eating great fish in Baja.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.