BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: A new answer to an old question?
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2007 at 10:30 PM
I'm calling BS on this one

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Yeah, can't be too careful about all those octegenarian, blue haired suspicious characters with their walkers and Hawaiian shirts. Likely Al Qaeda indeed! Heaven forbid we should engage in -gasp- racial profiling! :o

If that's the way you feel about it, tocayo, be prepared to sit in line for several hours and bend over for the finger wave. Oh, and be ready for $10 lettuce. If you only go to Baja once or twice a year, maybe you can deal with that. Those of us who live along the border think this is bullsh-t. Our farmers are paying $9/hr for labor and plowing under fields of prime crops because they can't get enough hands to pick it.

Approximatley $.13 of the cost of a head of lettuce is due to field labor. Even if we doubled the farm workers wage it would only increase the cost by an additional 13 cents. The farmers can't get enough hands to pick their products because they aren't paying anything close to $9/hr, that's why they hire ILLEGALS. We should not subsidize any industry because we cannot afford the product. Pay legal workers fair (market value) wages and you won't be short of employees. Paying someone substandard wages knowing they live in substandard conditions, so we can save 13 cents on a head of lettuce does not seem like a noble way to live to me. When you can make more money on welfare than at a job, you will stay on welfare.

Don't believe the propoganda, pay real money, get our deadbeats off welfare, and then if we are short workers, we can have guest workers come in. But at no time should we be paying them less than market value.

An equivalent would be for me to import a bunch of engineers from India and pay them $20,000 a year, In reality, I have to pay American engineering college graduates about $50K - $60k straight out of school. That is what the market demands. Why should farmers, landscapers, hotels and other industries be subsidized by cheap labor? We should all compete under the same set of rules.

Sorry, I couldn't keep quiet.

Big Al

[Edited on 1-3-2007 by Big Al]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-2-2007 at 11:13 PM
Big Al------

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this---------lots to think about.

Barry
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 07:41 AM

OK, the $10 lettuce was hyperbole, but the $9/hr. is absolute fact, at least here in Yuma. Growers are advertising that amount in local papers, plus time and a half, free lunch, a weekly lottery and free medical across the line in SLRC, and they still can't get enough people. Wages may not be the same elsewhere and growers may not be as careful about fake documents. Here, there is too much at stake.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 09:53 AM
additional cost

Oso, I am sure you are correct. However, the pay wage is almost irrelevant. My point is the same. Let's pay these people $18/hr and add 13 cents to the lettuce. If you pay people enough money, they will do the tough jobs. That is how we get workers out on the offshore oil rigs, and underwater welders and any other tough job. We pay them enough money to attrack people to an unattractive job. Especially in a town like Yuma. People are going to want to be compensated extra for working in that oppressive heat.

As a country, we are going to have to decide if certain products should be made or grown in this country. We have to be realistic, if we are the most efficient country to produce these products. In most cases I think we can compete as long as the playing field is fair. The other controversial topic is taxing these products when they are imported from other countries so we actually have a fighting chance. We don't manufacturer balls and bicycles and other consumer products in this country anymore not because we can't. The problem is countries like China can pay people close to nothing because those people have a miserable standard of living. The only way we can compete with them is to level the playing field. If they won't pay a decent wage than we tax those imports. Today we do not only export our jobs in manufacturing, we offshore our technical jobs like engineering and technical support. I don't buy into the rhetoric that these are jobs we americans don't want

Instead of dragging our standard of living down to their level, let's try and raise their standard of living up a level or two.

My opinion only
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 11:15 AM
3 Nomad Thread-jumpers found wounded in lettuce field!

3 thread-jumpers were found lying wounded in a lettuce field near El Centro last night.

Barry A., Oso, and Big Al were admitted to an area knife-trauma clinic for treatment of wandering from the thread.

They had multiple wounds...corkscrews to the head, nail files to the chest, and tiny scissors cuts to the kneecaps....obviously had some sort of run-in with either the Swiss or Russian Army.

[Edited on 1-3-2007 by Summanus]

- useful for thread jumpers! 3.jpg - 21kB

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 11:49 AM
Well deserved

My apologies. Sometimes I can't stop myself.

The worst part is I was interested in this thread because I hate dull knives as well. I use an oil stone, but it is never there when I have a big mess of fish. Trigger fish make great ceviche but they are murder on a knife. Also, any suggestions on the best all pupose fillet knife?

Just trying to get it back on track since I helped in the derailment.

Big Al

[Edited on 1-3-2007 by Big Al]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 11:50 AM
Summanus--------

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :P
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 11:52 AM
Big Al-----

-----I use a CUTCO filet knife and it is awesome, but really expensive (I got it as a gift from my son). :spingrin:
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 11:54 AM
Cutco

Where can I get one?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 11:58 AM
Al-----

I am not sure-----maybe Google CUTCO???

My son was a dealer when a teen ager. CUTCO filet knife has a soft rubber handle (no slip) and an adjustable length blade, very flexible, and super steel-=----very sharp and does not lose its edge rapidly.

CUTCO Company is in Olean, NJ
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 12:54 PM
Just an old classic, but damn good, knife...

You can't go wrong with one of Rapala's fillet knives for your boat or fishcamp. The 7 1/2 inch model is the best for Baja. Barring that I would simply buy the ones I mentioned in the other post...commercial grade 7"- 12" white rubber-handled Dexter-Russels. Neither one of these brands will break your fishing budget.

..And..you can cut lettuce with them.:rolleyes:

- a Rapala 7 inch.jpg - 16kB

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 01:39 PM

soulpatch...those are the commercial-grade Dexter-Russels I posted about above.. Good and strong fillet knives, aren't they?

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 04:12 PM

OOOH, that corkscrew is uncomfortable:o

I'd be glad to continue the Agro-Economics discussion elsewhere, like off-topic or we could just drop it. I'm good with either way.

BTW, a real lettuce knife, for the field not the kitchen, looks almost like a big putty knife or chisel. It's made to sever the root stem with a pushing motion. Harvesting lettuce with one of those skinny little Rapalas would be even more murderous on your back.
http://www.ontarioknife.com/indagr.html

Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 04:23 PM

Oso, I'd be interested i your thoughts on my thoughts.

Thanks for the knife info. I am winning one on Ebay as we speak.

Big Al
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 04:24 PM

Oh for Neptune's sake's, OSO...I was kidding about the lettuce knife!! I KNOW what tools to use in the field...grrr. Don't make me get out my spatulas and what-all.

By the way, isn't it time you bears were hibernating? ;D

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 06:17 PM

yah, yah, yah yah, yah, nah....!!!!

I'll be good, I'm going to heaven, no like you pee-pees.

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 08:34 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Al, we could take it to off-topic but I'm afraid our level of reasoned discourse would not survive these guys getting involved:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/howlers.htm

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 08:56 AM
Enlighten us, Great Bear!

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Al, we could take it to off-topic but I'm afraid our level of reasoned discourse would not survive these guys getting involved:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/howlers.htm

We're drowning in information and starving for knowledge.

Besides, one can only say so much about knife sharpening.;D

[Edited on 1-4-2007 by Summanus]

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 12:30 PM
lechuga

The view from my deck.

100_0379 (Small).JPG - 42kB

Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 12:33 PM
Free Letuce

Looks to me like the 24 hour market might be giving lettuce away for free, self serve of course.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.