BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Best place to hide my Pistol?
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 08:13 AM

Kelly-- anyone who knows us knows my wife is much smarter than me. :lol:

don't get me wrong -- I'm not afraid as I've driven pretty much everywhere, through Europe, Greece, Africa- (S. Africa is really scary as it seems everyone is packing including grannies in the supermarket and signs on the road declare-"Hijacking Hotspot" at numerous freeway off ramps) As far as advice- I don't want another dog as my last two were the best and their passings were too hard for my wife and I to repeat. I think as I've gotten older I present a differnt target to criminals of opportunity. I don't drive an expensive vehicle- but it's a good one- and I probably look different than 20 years ago- gray hair and if you are discerning you can tell I probably have more things than I did when I first drove Baja- I don't flash anything but it's kind of intuitive when you see my rods and reels, the tires on my jeep,or my haircut, or my clothes etc.

I'll probably end up listening to my smart wife, use my people skills to stay out of trouble or bad spots, and continue to love Baja-:tumble:- but this has been a good discussion.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 08:25 AM
Now I have a new neighbor

I HAD a neighbor that was caught last year, at a checkpoint, with a revolver under his seat. He was immediately taken to jail and his vehicle was impounded. He was able to contact a friend for help. They ended up shelling out a load of cash and were mistaken in the belief that they had paid a fine and the problem was solved. WRONG. Their problem really escalated when they missed their court appearance. Realizing their mistake they both promptly left the country, possibly never to return. And the Feds come around ever so often looking for the " fugitives." Very surprising that thier property wasn't siezed, at least not before they were able to sell out.

So the moral to this story? If you decide to bear arms here in BCS, at least be smart enough to conceal it a little better than my now ex-neighbor did.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capitolkat
In the military checks they have never taken a look at what I have in my pockets or on my person, my wife's purse is generally small as she carries a larger tote bag for the other things and they have never looked in her purse.
that said I've been examining the practicality of a small.32 with some powerful loads. The barretta tomcat being an example. It's smaller than my wallet, doesn't bulge my pants out if I wear loose shorts or slacks and will knock down just about anybody

Anything above a 32 and you would probably face serious jail time. I would also be careful about carrying the new "hot" loads. While the ammo technically is still 32 it is meant to put someone down...and works. I wouldn't want to get caught with any.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 09:34 AM
Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
MrBill -----
Im about to research to buy a high caliber derringer. Do you have any suggestions?

Gun's a gun. If caught, you're still gonna pay. Why not have seven shots instead of two? Besides, derringers make lousy shooters.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 10:06 AM
Ditto That

I have no experience with Derringer-Style pistols for the simple reason that they are inaccurate at any distance, contain only two rounds and can be difficult, if not dangerous, for the shooter in a large caliber. All that I've seen (there may be exceptions) don't even have a trigger-guard so maintaining control during recoil is problematic.

Not much larger than the Derringers are the smaller semi-autos in .32 ACP and .380. You have usually six or more rounds available in a pretty small package. The smaller single-action .380s with exposed hammer can be carried confidently with a round chambered and the DAO AMT Backup is also safe with a chambered round. Hit placement is key since the .380 Ball is not a robust round and many of the semi-hollow points don't cycle well in the short actions. I've got one .380 where it is possible to get "nipped" by the slide during firing in the V-between Thumb and First Finger. A common problem with the smaller frames. A couple of times and you pay more attention.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 10:57 AM
IF

you are going to chance carrying a gun, and the problems associated with that decision if you are caught, then I would opt for something along the lines of a small 7 shot .45ACP.....might as well go for the gusto..............if you are caught with a gun, the caliber, number of shots or size will probably not matter
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
you are going to chance carrying a gun, and the problems associated with that decision if you are caught, then I would opt for something along the lines of a small 7 shot .45ACP.....might as well go for the gusto..............if you are caught with a gun, the caliber, number of shots or size will probably not matter

From what some of the posts are saying the caliber does matter. One says the cutoff is 38 the other 32. I wonder what the law says, or is it up to the official at the time. Like so many things in MX.:?:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 11:32 AM

I think if you are going to get a permit and do it legally, the max caliber is 38 or 38 Super (as used in an auto pistol). If you are going to take a chance, go for the .45.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I have up-graded from the Ford Expedition we had (It had a bullet hole in the driver side door) to a F-250 Super Duty, soon to have a very big Warn winch bumper. A Ford saved my families life once I won't drive any thing else.

Tom,
Dern and I just replaced our F350s stock bumper with a Warn winch bumper. Dern found a good deal from 4Wheel Parts. They matched another lower price Dern found online including free freight. It was a process, took us a couple of days at our speed/limited knowledge. It looks sweet and pretty tough. It will run any cow or bad guy off the road. Give us a call or u2u if we can help out.

Saludos!
Paulina y Dern

lift y bumper r.JPG - 50kB

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 01:04 PM

I fired a 44 magnum once and the bullet went thru 2 concrete blocks end to end with 4 tin cans one in each hole. we found the bullet in the dirt about 3 or 4 feet away. So much for movies showing bullets bouncing off wood walls.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 03:05 PM
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
if you are caught with a gun, the caliber, number of shots or size will probably not matter

It matters. 32 or smaller + a good attorney will usually get you a stiff fine.

And the type of round matters as much (or more) than the caliber. Sometimes, just carrying ammo is worse than a gun.

ElGato
Junior Nomad

Mood: Virile

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 09:32 PM
Peace of Mind in a rapidly lawless country

:coolup: If you feel your safety is more important than any firearm law and are willing to be judged by 12 than carried by six my choice for protection while in or close to my automobile would involve having a removable radio faceplate.Modified to the specs of your particular firearm, access is straightforward. Personally my car is never going to be returned to the U.S, so border crossing is not a consideration. Car is old enough that smog checks are not req'd and all modifications are self made. The arm was obtained locally in and less said the better. I have never had cause to use or brandish it. In the rural country where I hang the code is lez se faire. My peace of mind is utmost. This is a very serious individual choice and you must be able to live with the consequences of your action.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElGato
.....and are willing to be judged by 12 than carried by six ....

Now that's a good one.:rolleyes:
k1w1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 09:42 PM
whoaa duuude

Quote:
:coolup: If you feel your safety is more important than any firearm law and are willing to be judged by 12 than carried by six

as of late ... it's Santa Cruz way more so than Baja where defence is nec!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 09:53 PM

Well, it sounds as though firearms in Mexico may be a bad idea. How about one of those WW2 flame-throwers they used to BBQ Japanese with in the movies? Are they illegal?
RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

Mood: Really Ready to Go!

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 02:29 AM
Thanks Paulina

I'm looking into getting a bumper and winch package. Around $3,200 with a 16,000# winch (I'll have to save up for that one). Money that will be well spent as you should be able to drive away from most problems on the road, two legged or four.

[Edited on 2-3-2007 by RockhouseTom]

\"FREEDOM\" William Wallace
RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

Mood: Really Ready to Go!

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 02:57 AM
This is the bottom line

Quote:
My peace of mind is utmost. This is a very serious individual choice and you must be able to live with the consequences of your action.

This cuts to the heart of this topic. The beauty of it is, we still have a choice.

\"FREEDOM\" William Wallace
abreojos
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 07:03 AM

I just carry a remote control and tell them I'm going to nuke them if the ___ with me! Act crazy enough and they will believe you!
Just kidding...if you need a gun, your in the wrong place, so get out and find something better.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 09:37 AM

After all is said and done I am more likely than not to agree with Abreojos. His handle is perfect for his sentiment. Keep your eyes open, be respectful, don't do things to invite attention by the wrong element, and if the worst should happen, have a emergency backup plan. If the hairs on the back of your neck start to stand up, take action. We all need to listen to our sixth sense.

As for me, I think I would rather be dead than spend anytime at all in a Mexican prison. So, I will just keep doing what I have been doing and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the well thought out responses.

Viacondios todos.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2007 at 10:12 AM

I sent this to Fred Hoctor and it appeared in Western Outdoor News a few years ago.

"In July 1999 while returning from San Lucas Cove we were stopped at the
last federal inspection at one of the Ensenada toll booths, and they
found some spare flair gun shells in my boat. We had removed the flair
gun because the Vagabundos said it was illegal and you could go strait
to jail.
We almost got an extended vacation in Mexico. After being released to go
on twice, and their calling their supervisors, we finally got to go.
If you are correct, someone forgot to tell the federalles. I am not
going to risk it this year."

Don
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.