BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Reels and more Reels ??
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 07:16 AM
Troule with coffeegrinders

Here are some of the issues:

1. They twist your line. The problem comes with their design. As you reel in the line comes straight down the guides and is then twisted on it's side to the reel. After a while you get these massive twists when you have reeled your fish in and give the line some slack. In other situation you will get a small coil on your reel after just completing a cast. As you make the next cast the line going out will trip on the coil and greatly shorten your distance. Once it's coiled you need to remove your lure, run the boat with the line out for awhile allowing it to untwist. You need to get off as much line as possible. After you fix the problem the whole cycle starts over.

2. In many situations the reel limits your fishing abilities because you can't 'feel' the fish on the other end. With a baitcasting reel you can feel you anchovy run and the take of the larger fish by having it in free spool and thumbing it. Then you slam it in gear and strike. With spinning reels you just watch the line and strike when it looks right. You don't feel the force of the gamefish before the strike. For flylining bait it's far inferior to the conventional reels,

3. Your casting distance is sacrificed with the spinning reel as the line comes off in circular coils and bangs against the first guide going out. They diminish the problem by making the first guide larger and farther from the reel seat but it's a problem, especially with thick line.

There are other problems. But there are pros also. I fished alaska the last 2 summers and the overwhelming majority was using spinning reels with ugly sticks for river salmon. The cost had a lot to do with it. A blue collar combo that gets meat on the table.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 03:34 PM

Sure you can cast with a level wind. :lol::lol::lol:

professional overspin.jpg - 48kB
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 06:34 PM

Sure you can cast the smaller level winds/AKA baitcasters. I believe Diver was talking about a 4/0 or 5/0 size. I'll get my Grandwave Z out and any of you guys that can cast a comparable sized reel, line, lure combo, nearly as far, can buy me a beer.:biggrin:

Skipjack, Shimano's baitrunner series of coffeegrinders tried to address some of the points you make.

Diver, have you looked into the baitrunners. I, well my wife, has a 4500b. The best spinner I have tried.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 06:59 PM

The Daiwa Grandwave Z is $195.
The Daiwa SL-X50HA is $109.
Both have the same 6:1 and other features.
Any idea what makes it worth the difference ? Or not ??

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
The Daiwa Grandwave Z is $195.
The Daiwa SL-X50HA is $109.
Both have the same 6:1 and other features.
Any idea what makes it worth the difference ? Or not ??

The grandwave has a tighter anti-reverse. But the SLX is still in production; the Grandwave's have been discontinued in favor of the Saltist. The Saltist has a metal frame, better anti-reverse and is a bit less expensive than the Grandwave (at least at Charkbait).

I also think the Saltist has a bit more cranking power than the SLX. Both are really good reels and great values.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 09:20 PM
Rhymes with Caddis

We've been talking recently about fishermen that have influenced us during our early years in one way or another. Zane Grey was mentioned. Hemingway. And more recently Ray Cannon.

Before ESPN Outdoors. Before Curt Gowdy's American Sportsman. This guy came on in the earky sixties on Saturday's in the afternoon. It was all in black and white and none too sharp. This guy was special. I hurried home from school so as not to miss an episode. Do you know who he is?

[Edited on 5-21-2007 by Skipjack Joe]

bayhorse.jpg - 25kB
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 10:08 PM

Gadabout Gaddis, the Flying Fisherman

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 07:03 AM

The thing I remember about Gadabout most was his almost constant use of a fly-rod and poppers for bass,both large and small:biggrin:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 10:01 AM

Oh, you would have liked him Pompano. He was a TV personality with no personality. The way he looks in your picture is the way he always looked. No matter what he was saying he wore the same expression. He was closed mouthed, speaking slowly through clenched teeth. It was a low keyed program with very little talk. Things were understated.

But man oh man, could that guy fish!

You're right baitcast, the episodes with bass were the most impressive. He'd cast his poppers along those lilly pads and these monstrous bass would smash them on the surface. Usually 4-5 pounders but sometimes up to 8 and 9 pounds. He'd hold them up for you to see, mumble something or other, and back they'd go.

An episode that has stayed in my mind over the years is one where caught nothing. He flew into some lakes in Colorado and the whole half hour consisted of him casting around and working the shorline. At the end of the show he told us that he wanted to demonstrate that not all fishing trips are successfull, that a fishing trip like that was quite common. He wanted the audience to understand that it wasn't always one fish after another.

There was nothing quite like him in those days and I would guess he would never survive in the media today. But he made me want to be a flyfisherman. His shows and the writings of Ray Bergman.

[Edited on 5-21-2007 by Skipjack Joe]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.