Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Inspector checking fishing permits in Asuncion
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 10:29 AM

the university is up on the hill just south of santa rosalia
i think this is the first year it's open

Angel helped me with some mexican internet banking 3 weeks ago...
he speaks perfect english

you'll be happy with his services

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 08:42 PM

{b}Tunastick

We are glad to hear that your papers are in order!

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 12:05 AM

Oso, your story reminded me of a time that took all day for me to get my tourist card extended in Guadalajara. Triplicate forms, all day in lines, back and forth to the bank, not this line.. that line. Lots of work for something so simple.

Mexico is a funny place sometimes. The power company drops the bill off at our place on foot; because, the mail system is so inefficient. Then you have to goto the bank and wait in line to pay it; because, of the same inefficient mail system.

Following the law, or even knowing it, in Mexico can be tough sometimes. I would agree with others here that the process needs to be simplified. Simplification could only encourage compliance; which, would in turn boost enforcement.

As screwed up as the law is now, we all need to try our best to follow it. It is not as if the law is immoral or unethical; it is just inconvenient. As some have pointed out there are easier ways to get the permit than others.

People seem to be able to jump through hoops to get an FMT, a passport, hunting licenses, and auto insurance. I'd think getting a fishing permit before you leave is not much different.

In Mexico, just as here in the US, there are easy ways to do things and hard ways to do things. The easy way with Mexico is to do your homework and take care of all the business and paperwork you can at home before setting out on vacation. The hard way? I think Oso outlined that pretty well.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 05:46 AM

larry...it's a university...

you know..the thing you go to after "high" school:lol:

our website is:
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 06:20 AM

Mango!

I have avitar envy-- that is WAY cool!

Norm
Junior Nomad

Mood: GOOD!!!!!

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 06:40 AM
FISHIN !!

:moon:WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ????We buy our fishin lis every year from the mex fishin dept in south land, no big deal + they mail it back , Your stamp~~ In on day !!!!We been doing this for the last 30+ years & have not had any problems/ yes we have never been ask for it !!!!!!
GOOD FISHIN ~NORM
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 06:53 AM

norm

if you bring your boat and
your boat is over 14 feet long
you need a temp import permit AND
a "boat" fishing license

you can ONLY get these in mexico

our website is:
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 07:41 AM

Bob and Susan, It's not a "boat fishing permit", it is a Boat Permit -- it looks just like a fishing license. You can get them through the travel clubs in the states. You mail or fax them boat ownership/registration papers, they issue the BOAT PERMIT, mail it to you.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Bob and Susan, It's not a "boat fishing permit", it is a Boat Permit -- it looks just like a fishing license. You can get them through the travel clubs in the states. You mail or fax them boat ownership/registration papers, they issue the BOAT PERMIT, mail it to you.

You need the Conapesca BOAT PERMIT for ANY watercraft that you fish from. If you don't fish, then you don't need it, so it is a "boat fishing permit."

Here's the official lingo:

Fishing Licence=Permiso Individual de Pesca Deportivo-Recreativa
Boat=Permiso de Pesca Deportivo-Recreativa Para Embarcacion

They look very much alike and can be purchased in the same places, including travel clubs and many tackle shops in California.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 08:12 AM

you can no longer get a "boat permit" without a temporary importation.

$50 for 10 years no mattter if you are on vacation or not

if you havent got the temp import you are illegal...

don...its 14 feet or larger
smaller boats are exempt
at least here

they are both purchased using the same form #5

our website is:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
you can no longer get a "boat permit" without a temporary importation.

$50 for 10 years no mattter if you are on vacation or not

if you havent got the temp import you are illegal...

don...its 14 feet or larger
smaller boats are exempt
at least here

they are both purchased using the same form #5

Small boats may be exempt from a temporary import license. But if you fish from it, you must have two fishing permits: one individual and one for the boat or kayak, regardless of size. They do require "documentation" of some kind to get the fishing permit in Loreto or at a US tackle shop; I could only get my kayak license at the Conapesca office in San Diego. I don't know if the travel clubs are selling them without documents or not.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 11:27 AM

Bob, Susan, Don,
I registered my boat in Mexico. I don't need a temporary permit. Others here have done the same. I don't need a Forma 5 to buy a fishing license or boat FISHING permit where I buy mine -- they take my cash. Stop telling people who live all over the world the way they do things in Loreto or Mulege -- you're giving people bad advice if you think your way is the only way. This is MEXICO, come on.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 11:40 AM

osprey this is BAD advice...CASH:lol:

if you registered the boat in mexico you are right you need no temp permit
but you are talking "apples and oranges"
most people are vacationers

you DO need a "boat fishing license" on FORM#5 at the fishing license office

cash will mean nothing when the NAVY comes to visit:lol:

where will your "friends" be then:lol:

our website is:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 11:44 AM
Please clarify

Quote:
Bob, Susan, Don,
I registered my boat in Mexico. I don't need a temporary permit.

You have permanently imported your boat and you have free run of Mexican waters?

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 12:24 PM

I bought a panga, in Mexico, registered it here. I can fish coastal waters of Mexico.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 12:28 PM

Bob and Susan, I pay, have paid, will pay cash for my licenses and permits several places here. The collection agents provide and complete the forms, act for me, give me receipts for the money -- it is attached to the license, permits. DON'T THEY DO IT THAT WAY EVERYWHERE? DON'T THEY DO IT THAT WAY IN LORETO? MULEGE? GEE, I THOUGHT IT WAS THE SAME EVERYWHERE!
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 12:34 PM

Well, the reel deel is:

Even if you have an import permit, or don't, you need a fishing permit for EVERY BOAT. My Hatteras required a permit for fishing, even though it had an import permit. The dinghy, a 13" Boston Whaler, also required a fishing permit, even tho it was on the bow amost all the time when at sea.

Boarded by the Navy off Mag Bay, they requested BOTH permits (the Hat and the BWhaler). It does not matter whether your fishing, but if you have tackle OF ANY KIND, you must have the permit. And those guys know how to look Everywhere.

So, take your chances on the Pesca folks, but if you don't have the permit(s) and see the Navy approaching, run....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 02:00 PM

I have to side with Osprey on this issue, especially since the Santa Rosalia office is decidedly out of step with the rest of Mexico.

But as any member of the Vagabundos or Discover Baja knows; you can get a boat permit for fishing WITHOUT getting a temporary import permit.

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Bob, Susan, Don,
I registered my boat in Mexico. I don't need a temporary permit. Others here have done the same. I don't need a Forma 5 to buy a fishing license or boat FISHING permit where I buy mine -- they take my cash. Stop telling people who live all over the world the way they do things in Loreto or Mulege -- you're giving people bad advice if you think your way is the only way. This is MEXICO, come on.

I also bought and registered my Mexican-built boat in Mexico, so I have no need of a temporary import license, have never had one, and never advised anyone on where to get one.

There has been some confusion on this thread about the availability of licenses in Loreto. Paula and I have relayed our experience in just the last week. Up-to-date, verified information. Certainly not "bad advice."

Although we used the forms and paid at a state finance office, the Loreto Conapesca office has taken cash payments in the past. If you are in a hurry, especially if you have exact change, ask and she'll probably say OK. I have no reason not to trust her honesty.

Other areas may do things differently. I have never said that the way we do things in Loreto is the only way, in fact I have mentioned alternatives.

However...one of the popular alternatives common in Baja has been to fish at all-inclusive resorts, "licenses included," without ever seeing a license. I have heard allegations in the past that many of these licenses never existed or were never filled out. I've also read irrelevant comments here that "they never check where I fish." License money for BCS is now used in BCS for protection of sportfisheries. It does not go into a black hole in Mexico City. So, yeah, I'll get on a soapbox and tell people who fish ANYWHERE that they should have, in their possession, any and all required licenses, otherwise they are no better than poachers. And I don't care if it's Mexico, the US, or Canada.

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 03:30 PM

So let me get this straight.

My wife and I are going to Bahia Asuncion in August. We are bringing a 12' three person jetski. We will use the jetski to fish from but mostly to get to the islands in the area to fish. We will both have fishing liscense and will get a boat permit.

Do I need a temporary boat permit as well?

A couple of guys say on here no permit for under 14' but a couple of guys say you do.

I have no problem purchasing any of these permits, just want to know the score.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.