Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
BTW, to David K and others, you no longer need to have the carcass to have a mount made.

Yeah, it's not the same fish...........

The real one is still swimming and renewing the resource.

Or, you can buy a full size Marlin pillow from Cabela's for around twenty bucks. It looks life-like....for a pillow. And, just think.......you don't even have to tear it's guts out and bring it back from the brink of death.

Cabela's.com
They have other fish pillows as well.

Actually, Dennis, no fish are injured in the making of these mounts. They are moulds: all artificial ingredients.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 12:24 PM

Is that pesos or dollars, Ed?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Actually, Dennis, no fish are injured in the making of these mounts. They are moulds: all artificial ingredients.

I know but, do they cost more than twenty bucks?:biggrin:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by honda tom
ok, so the word for all of you fisherman bashers is ignorant. Untill you can post your thoughts in spanish, on a board that mexican fisherman will read, you should stop wasting your breath.

question..... what exactly happened on the boat that brought in that small marlin? Oh thats right... none of you know! Theres a good chance that it died if the fisherman was using light tackel, like some kind of fly rod. Heavy tackel could have brought a small fish like this in quick, increasing its odds for a live release.

But for all of you that feel so strong about this "injustice", on your next trip to baja. go down to the boat ramp and tell those fellas with the nets and traps how you feel.

It is sooooo funny to read the post of all of you that claim to love baja sooooo much..... but choose to blame all the wrong in baja on gringos, especially those gringos that truly love baja.

You ignorant ones are vacationing and living amongst ones that will rape the ocean and the land for what they need on that day. and you.... such the smart one, will get all over somebody for photographing a fish on the small side of normal.

me. i would have done whatever i could to put that one back. but sometimes it doesnt work out.

This forum, last time I checked, is almost exclusively made up of Gringo's. We can only hope to influence the behavior of our fellow nomads here by talking about these issues. If in turn our example affects others, so be it. I don't think it has to be about blame either. Affect change where you can.

The days of trophy Billfish fishing (hanging with a portrait shot) should be over.

A few years ago while Marlin fishing in Cabo I had to almost fight with the captain to release a healthy Striper that he wanted to bash with a baseball bat. I prevailed but it took conviction to make it happen. Change has happened amongst the Captains with regards to taking Billfish in my experience.

As far as trophy photo op's check out the beautiful shots that Bill on his boat Soledad shoot, in the water just before release.

Ken
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I know but, do they cost more than twenty bucks?:biggrin:

I think I've seen some lead-paint versions from China going for about that.

I cant say whether Chinese laborers were harmed in the making of them, though.........:lol:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 01:56 PM

About those hanging fish pics.:D Like showing pictures in a slaughter house of beef/pork hanging on the hook? Haven't seen any pictures of chickens being processed?:?: Dead chickens must not be photogenic, guess dead fish are. Have a dead fish photo or two in my picture album, that was then, this is now.:yes:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Like showing pictures in a slaughter house of beef/pork hanging on the hook?

Some years back, I got into the Ensenada slaughter house with a camera. What a scene. I remember the kill, one at a time as cows in line would walk to the top of an inclined concrete ramp and wait their turn to be shot in the head with a .22 rifle. It would collapse and slide down a ramp to the inside of the building to be processed. Occasionally the bullet would miss it's mark and the cow would go down the ramp kicking and screaming untill the executioner would go below and administer a coup de grace. All of the workers got a big kick out of that. The man with the gun was, for the moment, Ernest Hemingway bringing down big game on the plains in Africa.
For me, although I, of course, was not in Aushwitz, [sp] immagined for the moment that I was. A very ugly scene.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 03:49 PM

Re: sightings of Mr. Hemmingway in Baja

I was quite surprised to see how often Mr. Hemmingway makes an appearance in Baja - season after season. Elvis could take lessons in longevity. While Mr. Hemmingway varies in shape, height and attire from day to day, the costume, beard and cap are relatively conformist with the original version. I have long wondered how he managed to keep living the "life everafter" and get a kick out of nick-naming Ernie according to his latest redux...e.g. short Ernie, romantic Ernie, Ernie with dog, etc. Thank goodness Madonna isn't the icon for the last for the GWHs!;).

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 04:08 PM

If all these Ernie wannabes knew why he stood most of the time, even while typing, they might find someone else to emulate or buy stock in Preperation-H.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 05:00 PM

Bless you Dennis, now I can add hemo-Ernie. Do I have a hernia-Ernie?
:spingrin:

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
If all these Ernie wannabes knew why he stood most of the time, even while typing, they might find someone else to emulate or buy stock in Preperation-H.

Yah, I heard it was the pay-back of a 500 pounder!:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 09:48 PM

its a tradition, its a father son thing, its a sportsman thing, its a male bonding thing. for those that dont understand exactly what that means .... sorry for you , and I dont hold your decision against you. But dont hold your decision against sportsman. Ive let plenty of billfish go. but when I am with a lifelong bud, and he lands his first marlin, were gunna eat it! Catch another on the same trip.... Ill put it back. Sailfish... fun to catch, but bad to eat..... Ill put it back. The sportsman knows the right thing to do. The drop in the bucket, of the man with the pole and the hook, is the wrong target. But it sure seems to be the easy one today.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 11:22 PM
It's just a cultural thang

Oh, you mean like the traditional 50 caliber Makah hunts. Not like the Japanese Minke whale research program. I guess it's ok then... :rolleyes:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 01:06 AM

[Edited on 9-21-2007 by gibson]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 06:24 AM

Some of this "hanging billfish picture" stuff can lead to trouble. The Giggling Marlin in Cabo began a tradition of hanging customers up-side-down and taking a gag photo as a promotional thing. It began a long time ago and by now there must be strict rules about ladies and attire. I can almost imagine some of the first portly old goatropers in mumus hanging there looking OH SO grotesque (makes me shiver). Must have been bad press, bad Kharma, nightmares you don't want to revisit -- sorry.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 07:34 AM

Guess there're just too many nets, hooks, spears, and who knows what else, chasing fewer and fewer fish. Can we agree that the fish size and #'s are down?:?:
Osprey About those pictures of upside down tourists, they also give 'em a shot of tequila when they hoist 'em up.:tumble:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by honda tom
its a tradition, its a father son thing, its a sportsman thing, its a male bonding thing.

It's cruel, it's egocentric, domineering, it's pointless unless one is fishing for food.
Admitedly, I don't get it. What is the thrill of hooking a fish that you can't even see and having a tug-of-war only to prove that you spent enough money on the strongest gear? Wouldn't it be the same physical sensation if you hooked up to the bumper of a car and fought it till you're spooled then pulling it back while in neutral? What's the difference?
Oh, yeah, I know one. You don't cause mayhem to the car and for sure, it'll live to be caught another day.
God, this "sport" is so senseless. It would be like deer hunting confined to leg shots.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 08:17 AM

i think nets are far more cruel because of the deaths of far more "unwanted" species. and "if", people are hauling in marlin, and not taking the steaks, I think thats wrong. I dont believe that applies to most sportfisherman.

Trying to equate my 8/0 single hook to a 50 cal......... hmmm.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 09:32 AM

Dennis, I practice fishing on cars (scooters, quads, pickups) -- I try to match the rod/reel/line to the power/size/speed of the vehicle. I just raise my hand to tell em to stop before I spool out, pay the ten pesos, go on to the next. Believe me, I'm ready for big fish, medium, sick ones, ones on drugs, etc. I don't think you fully appreciate the subtleties of the sport. Sometimes I mis-match on purpose, throw my self the kind of curves nature does sometimes. Why it's possible I could hook a big fish on light tackle, stroke out and die. That's the gamble, that's what makes it a fair fight, we both have a fighting chance. Dennis, come on down, we'll go out and you can fight a big one, find out more about it.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 10:19 AM

Fishing is, IMHO, the finest sport:bounce: From hand lines to $K reels, fishing from shore to high-tech fishing machine, a kid fishing in a pond to professional. Beats the heck out of football, c-ck fighting, golf, tennis, car/boat/bicycle/horse/ motorcycle/etc. races, hunting, pingpong..........:bounce: The list of lesser sports is endless.:D
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.