Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: Stopped at Bob and Susan's Today
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
I would be willing to bet if Bob and Susan had guest there paying $1000 per night and he didn't like them he would ask them to leave. It is not about the money. Playa Frambes is Bob and Susans dream. Not your dream Fishbuck, or anyone else who choses to bash them for asking their price. (The million dollar figure probably comes from the total cost of the project, and if you stay there you will more than likely have the place to yourself.) Not to mention each Casita sleeps 4, has its own living room and kithchen, so that two couples will be very comfortable, and is completely furnished with top grade everything. No hard beds here, top of the line pillow tops only, with brand new linens. All of that for only 50 bucks a person. I have paid a lot more to stay in dumps. Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention RIGHT ON one of the most beautiful bays in the entire WORLD. Give me a break. If you can afford it, and want a quiet getaway, it is well worth it.

Also, Bob and Susan are great fun, totally cool people.

[Edited on 23-11-2007 by Minnow]

Well Minnow,
after that endorsment you almost make me leave my simple abode to have a look/see what all this fuzz is about.
At least from my local we don't have to run "the gauntlet":P:biggrin:

And, after sampling one of Bob's famous margaritas, maybe even able to get back home to my own bed, a king with pillowtopped mattress I might add.:biggrin:

[Edited on 11-23-2007 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 10:11 AM

this is a GREAT discussion:spingrin:

i LOVE this stuff!!!!:biggrin:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
this is a GREAT discussion:spingrin:

i LOVE this stuff!!!!:biggrin:

You ought to. Can't get any better free advertising:P:lol:

Air Evacuation go to
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 10:24 AM

I do not know Bob and Susan but I am sure they are good human beings who have built a dream and do not go around gouging people who stay at their place. I went to their site and liked what I saw and yes I would pay that price to live in the luxury they provide. I also liked the Enchilada plate they have pictured. Maybe some day I can go down to their place for a couple of days to visit. It’s been 40 years since I was last in Baja California but back then I was 15 and homeless drinking water out of cattle hoof prints in the desert until Mama Anita Espinoza from El Rosario took me in as one of her own kids. Thank God I am no longer homeless and can afford to stay at those places if I so choose. Saludos a Bob and Susan...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
.... It’s been 40 years since I was last in Baja California but back then I was 15 and homeless drinking water out of cattle hoof prints in the desert until Mama Anita Espinoza from El Rosario took me in as one of her own kids. Thank God I am no longer homeless and can afford to stay at those places if I so choose. Saludos a Bob and Susan...

You have just got to post the 'rest of the story' sometime... please!

[Edited on 11-23-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 10:37 AM

I would love to tell my story here but it is a long story and I might get chewed out by the owner of this site for writing too much. I am going down to see Mama Espinoza in El Rosario on December 15 through the 18th. It has been 40 years since I have seen her. I recently found out she is still alive and turned 100 years old as of October 16, 2007. I have contacted them and they know I am coming and are excited to see me as I am to see all of her family. It will be an emotional reunion for me to finally see Mama Espinoza.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
It’s been 40 years since I was last in Baja California but back then I was 15 and homeless drinking water out of cattle hoof prints in the desert until Mama Anita Espinoza from El Rosario took me in as one of her own kids. Thank God I am no longer homeless and can afford to stay at those places if I so choose.

You can't keep this story to yourself :no::no:
And if you need any help putting your thoughts and experiences in writing, I suggest using Gnukid as a ghost writer.:biggrin::biggrin:
Waiting with anticipation......:?::?:

Air Evacuation go to
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 10:41 AM

Oh I did a video of me singing Las Mananitas to Mama Espinoza and had to post it on YouTube because I could not send her the video via the restaurant e-mail. You can see the video on YouTube. Just put elinvesti8 in the search window and it should come up.

[Edited on 11-23-2007 by ELINVESTI8]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
I do not know Bob and Susan but I am sure they are good human beings who have built a dream and do not go around gouging people who stay at their place. I went to their site and liked what I saw and yes I would pay that price to live in the luxury they provide. I also liked the Enchilada plate they have pictured. Maybe some day I can go down to their place for a couple of days to visit. It’s been 40 years since I was last in Baja California but back then I was 15 and homeless drinking water out of cattle hoof prints in the desert until Mama Anita Espinoza from El Rosario took me in as one of her own kids. Thank God I am no longer homeless and can afford to stay at those places if I so choose. Saludos a Bob and Susan...

That wasn't water in those hoof prints! Maybe that's why Mama took pity on you.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
I would be willing to bet if Bob and Susan had guest there paying $1000 per night and he didn't like them he would ask them to leave. It is not about the money. Playa Frambes is Bob and Susans dream. Not your dream Fishbuck, or anyone else who choses to bash them for asking their price. (The million dollar figure probably comes from the total cost of the project, and if you stay there you will more than likely have the place to yourself.) Not to mention each Casita sleeps 4, has its own living room and kithchen, so that two couples will be very comfortable, and is completely furnished with top grade everything. No hard beds here, top of the line pillow tops only, with brand new linens. All of that for only 50 bucks a person. I have paid a lot more to stay in dumps. Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention RIGHT ON one of the most beautiful bays in the entire WORLD. Give me a break. If you can afford it, and want a quiet getaway, it is well worth it.

Also, Bob and Susan are great fun, totally cool people.

[Edited on 23-11-2007 by Minnow]

I've been kinda dreaming about the place. It's been fun to watch the project unfold.
I even have been thinking of a scaled down version for my place in San Quintin. I'll might call it Playa El Cheapo. Ha, ha just kidding. I'll call mine Puertal De La Pacifica.
Ya, I figured out the million was for the whole place.
My only question is why not have one of the castas with 4 single beds so 4 guys could stay and go fishing. My guess is that they don't want those guys there. Because $50/night is a deal!

[Edited on 11-23-2007 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
The place looks fantastic from the photos.
$200/night during the introductory period and I heard $400/night normal price.
Any opinions about that?
Oh ya, three night minimum.

[Edited on 11-22-2007 by fishbuck]

Way too high priced for me and my friends.

My opinion is these prices Stink.!!!!!!

- CaboRon

bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 12:16 PM

Thus proving there's no such thing as bad publicity. Now my wife HAVE to go and spend a few days to see what all this fuss is about.

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 01:50 PM

This board is really one of the last places I ever expected to see a class war being played out on.

It seems to me that where people choose to spend the night is not so much a matter of money as it is of what you happen to like about Baja California. Terrific bed-pillows and gourmet meals and a constant supply of hot running water are amenities I appreciate, but these are not things I associate with Baja.

And I think you guys who sneer at fellow Nomads for being cheap, because they don't care to--or can't afford to-- take advantage of Bob and Susan's five-star accommodations ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

For the present, at least, the peninsula has room for all of us.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera

For the present, at least, the peninsula has room for all of us.

And our varied opinions.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Bob and Susan's five-star accommodations

If I recall right, it was the Michelin guide that started assigning stars to restaurants and accomodations around the world. The star giving has gotten a little out of hand with every hotel and motel in the world assigning themselves stars. Loreto's hotel/motel guide has very few establishments below a ( their own ) 4 star rating. Most of them I wouldn't let my dog stay in. Hard to believe that one would rate his/hers establishment on the same level as the Waldorf or a penthouse suite in Vegas. Most of them in Baja can't even compare themselves with a motel 6.
But then again, living in Nopolo, I have to listen to the folks staying in the 5 star Loreto Bay Inn.:(:( Whatever floats your boat :P:biggrin::biggrin:

Air Evacuation go to
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 04:41 PM

Everything is relative to situation, circumstance and Location, Location, Location. I've stayed in a Motel 6 that was much better quality- bed, shower, TV, AC, continental breakfast etc. for less than what I once payed at the Cielito Feo dump. The difference? The former was east of LAX and the latter was on the beach in Baja.

I'm usually pretty cheap, but sometimes I tire of it. On the way down for the race a couple weeks ago, I balked and turned around at the gate to Percebu when I saw the $25 fee for just camping! In spite of the lure of the famous cazuelas, it just seemed out of reason. Campo Beluga in Gonzaga at $15 seemed within reason, even for an open palapa. The toilets do actually flush, although "showers" is an exercise in semantics. It's a straight shot of cold water from an overhead pipe with no "showerhead", probably ok in the summer. But, the sudden drop in temperatures the day I left made the night on a cot in the wind a bit less than cozy.

After two nights of cojones congelados, I didn't mind the $60 at Raquel and Larry's even if that is a wee bit more than what I generally want to spend for no TV etc. and gravity feed trickle shower. But, it was just me and Chu and the room contained one double and three single beds, adequate for a large family or five fishing buddies (if two of them were really good friends) that would have come to $12 each, a real bargain.. The location was very nice, the food is still good even if it's not Raquel's cooking anymore and Larry is a heluva great guy. I ended up staying three days. (BTW, Chu did not sleep on any of the beds, we carry his own.)

On the way back, instead of the usual stay at Old Mill ($40 a couple years ago- still?), I stayed at Jardines Baja nearby. I am on the horns of a dilemma recommending this place. On the one hand, I don't want the "secret" to get TOO discovered to the point they raise prices or it gets hard to find a room. On the other, I want them to prosper enough (they deserve it) that they stay open. It's not on the beach, but in a lovely garden setting amid pomegranate trees, roses and Bird of Paradise flowers, a nice break from sand and wind. They had two singles for $38 but they are interior rooms with window on a hallway and I have mild claustrophobia. So I paid $50 for an excellent, very modern double with a great high pressure hot water shower in a stall big enough for a coed dorm party. Some may recall this place as a great restaurant. No worries, mate, they are building another next door- a stunning colonial design with double cupolas.

Bob and Susan's place looks really first cabin. My usual Baja travels include just me and an antisocial dog who does not play well with others, so it may not be in the cards for me unless circumstances change. But, when you factor in the amenities and consider splitting the cost between two couples vacationing together and not desiring to rough it, the cost is not all that prohibitive and a stay there would make a great game show prize.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 05:00 PM

WHEEL OF FORTUNE ,here we come :biggrin::biggrin:

Air Evacuation go to
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-23-2007 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
My opinion is these prices Stink.!!!!!!

- CaboRon

My opinion is you are a marooon. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-24-2007 at 12:21 AM

Nomads,
Baja appeals to and attracts a wide range of people....some wealthy and some not, some who wear white knee socks in their sandals and some who are comfortable with sand between their toes.

I see nothing wrong with being poor or cheap, and nothing wrong with being wealthy (wish I was :lol: ). Both categories of folks can be jerks or gracious.

Mexico doesn't offer the great deals of a few years ago as readily, but I would guess that most Nomads who spend most of their time in Baja are there because of the expense factor (less expensive than north of the border), and not just the "lay of the land".

Baja and other parts of "rustic" Mexico are being overtaken by a grab for tourist dollars and by the wealthy folks who buy, develop, and drive up land costs (sometimes displacing locals and sometimes creating more employment opportunities).

I also appreciate Vag's comments as they also reflect my values....and that's just my personal thing.

Bob and Susan have apparently put a lot of energy and money into their business...I wish them luck. I can't afford that way of travelling or vacationing....I sometimes go to the expensive places to have a look, a drink, a swim ....or at least until the evil eye makes me leave ...

And you know....the robes these expensive places have just don't fit ....so I lounge around in my shorts and t-shirt with my killer marg, smoke, and view to the rest of the day.

Free beer .....about $10

Free breakfast....about $3.00

the other $387 to spend as I want....priceless
:lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 11-24-2007 at 08:18 AM
Come now....

I started this post to simply congratulate Bob and Susan and to say thanks for their hospitality, and to encourage fellow Nomads to enjoy their beautiful place.

A few of the comments that followed seemed quite disrespectful and I felt a little crummy for starting the post.

As a friend once said .... If you can't say something nice.... maybe you should have a nice cup of shut the * * * * up.

* adjective of your choice ~ or would that be an adverb...? (something new to disect and pontificate on...)

It is an old, but good practice to put yourself in the other person's shoes for a moment before you comment... also to "talk to people, not about people."

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.