BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: How many Nomads are hunters?
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 06:46 PM

all this talk about hunting...not a lot of talk about the notorious chukars...famous birds that will kick yer ass everyday in the tallus...i've chased em up and down, up and down...and the finest tasting game bird available...pomp...chukars???....as a ranger in eastern washington, i would drive the roads till i saw a bunch of them, then jump out, load my gun and head UP, cause that's where they were going...an ankle twisting nightmare of pursuit but when you finally get them in range the rewards are great...chukars can be REALLY dumb,(in cold weather), or REALLY smart, in warm weather...pick yer time...i go fer cold...love it tho...

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 07:08 PM

CHUCKER! A four letter word for sure! I spent the better part of a pheasant season chasing after those birds *%$ birds in Asoton (sp) County E. Wash. I think the last time my Lab looked at me and layed down and my legs wouldn't exit the car so I popped a beer and watched others get run around the cliffs/mountain. They may be tasty but if you shoot like I do, one missed bird will bring tears to your eyes. Towards the end of the season my "friends" reported they could see where I had been shooting. Little green spots all over the place. I went back to hunting pheasant and quail. It was harder to see where I watered the terrain. And a lot fewer chuckles.
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2009 at 02:38 PM

Ground squirrels at Tulare County cattle ranches.
California Condors when the opportunity arises.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-7-2009 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
How many nomads are hunters?

Not me. I prefer to enjoy animals alive. Killing them does nothing for me.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-7-2009 at 03:29 PM
Chuker

The first several times I went hunting for Chuker, I thought it was like a high school "snipe" hunt.....no birds, walking about 50 miles of up and down hills, never getting a shot. Afterwards we drank beer, ate ham sandwiches and told lies......

Now I am smarter.........I use a 81 mm mortar and start at the ridgeline, walking the rounds down until the birds are on the flat.....easier shooting!!!!!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 11:49 AM
Ridgeline chukars..and lowland gobblers

Great accounts of chukars and hunts, thanks.

Both great gamebirds that live in such different environments. A few times hunting those high country chukars with pointers and flushers who really got into finding the birds, I thought my hunting chums might have to bury me up there...tough going for me these days. But I still go. Like going to Baja, you can't live well without it.

Now for a slower and slightly bigger bird...

This flock of wild turkeys lived in our shelter belts and tree stand, but we never hunted them. Just fun to look and listen at times...right? I shoot with a camera a lot more these days, but I still hunt the outside toms for the table. What would a Thanksgiving wild game dinner be without turkey?

In the long run, men hit only what they aim at. ;D

- WILD TURKEYS - RANCH, ND 2008.jpg - 50kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 11:51 AM

I am a gust hunter!:lol:

Vegetarians rule,
w

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
estebanis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Your dog, the Small Munsterlander, certainly resembles both a spaniel and a setter. A very handsome looking pointer, that I will assume is also a good retriever?

I have visited Munster, Germany a while back, where, as I just read, this breed originated. Seems to be quite rare in the Americas.

We hunt quite a bit with shorthairs and pointing labs. Would love to have you join us with your dog for a hunt or two. Baja and Up North. Our season starts Up North about Sept 1st and we have a few nomads that join us for dove, pheasants, sharptail grouse, partridge, sage hen, ducks, and geese.

Again, nice dog!

Simon is a young dog (2 Years) but doing very well in his development. We had a set back with the lousy season this year. I was counting on the Northern Baja Quail for him to learn on. He Pointed 14 Pheasant in 2 hours on a recent "Canned Hunt" at Ace High Adventures near Harris Ranch. I am hoping I can get with you and others while I am at my place this fall near Colonett. If I was the retired guy I am waiting 6 and half years to be I would be all over working him with you up north. I am working towards his NAVHDA Utility test. He scored a prize one and 108 points out of a possible 112 when he was 14 months for his Natural Ability Test. You can read more about the tests on the Navhda.org website.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 11:48 AM
Wonderful hunting dog and a great record.

Thanks for that, estabanis. I read all about the competition and only wish to have been there in person. I hope you are destined to have many good years with your Munsterlander and can join us in Baja, ND and Montana for a few hunts.

Dogs certainly do add to one's life experience. Been fortunate to have had them all my life and they've been good friends all. Here's just a sample of a few I have hunted with in Baja.

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 06:00 PM

My husband Brett and 2 sons are hunters, deer, elk, antelope, turkey, geese, duck, quail, bear and grouse have all ended up on our table at one time or another. I hunted once in my life and couldn't bring myself to kill that beautiful deer so, I hunt fish, for some reason I can fish and it doesn't effect me like it did with the deer. I am a dead on shot with open sites, but I don't like guns. Lucky for the deer, not for the fish!
htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 3-29-2009 at 07:15 AM

HUNTING is my ultimate passion in life.

Since I was about 9, I started killing squirrels and doves in Tennessee with a .410 bolt action. And now I hunt mostly with my Bow.

I shot this buck in Oregon (Steen Mountains) in Sept of 08. He scores about 210 gross.

Happy hunting

Okay Nomads, I need some help here! How do you attach a picture to this site? I clicked on 'Browse' , then on the picture I wanted to share, it shows that the file is in the box, but doesn't have an 'apply' button. I even tried to just paste the file to the reply but that doesn't seem to work either?

[Edited on 3-29-2009 by htnfool]

[Edited on 3-30-2009 by htnfool]

[Edited on 4-19-2009 by htnfool]

[Edited on 4-19-2009 by htnfool]

rsz_50_kb_in_size.jpg - 42kB
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 09:11 AM

Forgot to mention coyotas and mountain lions

A little BL spelling:tumble:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 11:11 AM
THIS COYOTE...

..was Lucky, our Coyote Bay resident coyote a while back.

Nobody would think to shoot such a character, but he had to go eventually.

Some cats started to disappear. :rolleyes:

So we trapped him, hauled him, (to Coyote Nirvana), and set him free.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 03:23 AM
Hunting Quail, Pheasants, Partridge, and Dove in Baja and Navajoa

Can you hunt pheasants in Baja? Yes, believe it or not there are ring-necked pheasants in Baja..northern Baja to be precise. You can find pheasant hunting about 2 1/2 hours from San Diego in the Mexicali Valley. Many years ago, the Chinese introduced these beautiful birds when they were brought into the area to work on building irrigation canals. The birds prospered in that great environment and populations have been growing ever since.

The hunting method is the same as elsewhere in North America. You walk, with retrieving and pointing dogs if possible. All on private land. Over 80,000 acres of sorgum, alphalfa, and milo fields offer great wing-shooting oportunities as do the heavy covers of brushy ditches adjoining the fields. Roosters love brushy fencelines, too. You will usually flush and shoot your limit of pheasants by noon lunch.

The weather can be anywhere from 35 to 80 degrees, and that can be very hard on dogs, so well-trained bird boys are employed instead. Forget about heavy clothing, gloves, or raingear.

Dove shooting is fast and furious in the afternoons with pass shooting being the most popular. The birds are flying to and from water holes and feed. We used the outfitter's .410 pump shotguns for a good afternoon of these whitewing doves. We have booked with Baja Hunting a few times in the past with great success. Baja Hunting was founded in 1989 by owner Arturo V. Malo

We have also flown from Mulege to Navajoa on the mainland to sample the great dove field shooting available there through our guide/outfitter, Oscar Santandar. Desert mule deer, peccary or javalina hunts were also offered, along with quail and ducks. Truly a quality hunt with a knowledgable and professional guide. He is almost always booked 2 years in advance.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 07:04 AM

Turkey and bear season open next week up here in the north woods of Idaho.:yes:
htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 4-11-2009 at 07:08 AM

How do I post a picture on this??? Got some good ones to share.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 4-13-2009 at 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Not me. I prefer to enjoy animals alive. Killing them does nothing for me.

I quite enjoy animals alive as well. But certain species provide such great food...natural, clean, 100% organic food that you just can't buy. Good for you on every level. There's a lot more to hunting than killing.

[Edited on 4-13-2009 by Cardon Man]
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2010 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
In my salad days (when I was just a young sprout), I was a pretty fair archer and the boys would take me out on midnight hunts to bring home the main course for the luau.

Nowadays, I just avoid the bores (in pubs).

Gypsy Jan,

Great tale! Boar/bore indeed!

I always like reading your Nomad name. My favorite lab was named Gypsy. She was with me for 15 years..through all kinds of weather, foreign countries, and hunts. Her first trip to Baja was 1973 when she was just a mere pup.

Here's my old gal...I sure miss her.

Gypsy Jan..so..bow hunter, eh? I grew up bending a short Browning 52lb recurve...called The Hunter...I used broadheads with razor inserts. Long before compounds appeared. Whitetail, muleys, and antelope were our main gamefare, but we had many grouse, fools hen, rabbit, and wild turkey dinners.

Bowhunting whitetail as a teenager, I kept so still in the woods that the squirrels would sit on my head. :rolleyes: Well, maybe 'not quite' that still.. But when a teenager all your senses are incredibly alert and I heard, saw, and sensed everything in the wild very acutely. Later requirements were a lot easier because of my family's hunting tradition. I imagine your boar hunts at night pumped a little adrenalin thru the veins? And the bar bores made you yawn....;D

My luckiest moment as an archer came at our Badlands camp when I surprised myself and my brothers hitting a startled jackrabbit on a sizzling run... at 30 yards using a blunt normally used for camp grouse. That jack was a lot tougher eating than the grouse and cottontail, and my older brothers were not impressed with my contribution to the menu.

We brought bows to Baja later, although they were compounds and strictly for target shooting in the backyard.

edit to add photos

[Edited on 12-11-2008 by Pompano]

that is the first photo i have ever seen a german shepard shown as a hunting dog....who did it do...ours hunts rats!!

the shorthair hunts everything else.

Chukars in Baja? where?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2010 at 01:27 PM

Sorry, classicbajabronco...(boy, that's a lot to type)

The chukars are mountain-side types we hunt in Oregon, Washington, Utah. Unfortunately, the German Shepard in that photo was my buddies, not mine. Mine is the black lab. The shepard, Chula, was a good rouster on upland game, but not a great retriever like my lab..nor would she come close to holding a point like Gypsy, who was out of the first pointing lab kennels I had ever heard of at the time. Got her when I crossed the pond in the early 70's.

There are no chukars in Baja...yet, anyway.

Stay tuned, you never know what may happen around here. I never thought we would see a golf course.

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2010 at 01:44 PM

I hunted pluckers off the Columbia river in E.Wa..vantage area...I always have told the wife that pluckers would thrive here.

I wore out a fresh pair of boots in 2 days...my Shorthair threw the towel in and the 3 birds I shot either flew off a cliff, or burrowed down it the rocks..

The dog and I returned to quail were we took limits for the next few days..
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.