BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11
Author: Subject: Care to give Baja Nomad a little something?
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 01:05 PM

OK now that DK has floated the idea of donating money to BN, why not some words from Doug? I do believe he is the sole owner of BN and should come forward to explain his thoughts on the topic.

If the situation is at the point that the site would go down without some infusion of cash we should all know. Would hate to see it disappear without some input from all of us.

Ken
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Most likely ..so will most all of us.
However... like to hear some input from the upper command on this issue.:?:

Fact:
If 80% of current members would contribute the tiny sum of $5.00 a year, it would generate the tidy sum of around $ 32.000.00.
Nothing to sneeze at.:(
Seen years my income didn't increase like that.:biggrin:

Don't be putting your calculator away just yet Vandenberg;)

There are 97 pages of members, 50 entries per page.
(Accuracy Police: All numbers are approximate!)

53 of those pages have posted 1 or more times; there are MANY MANY pages of >5 posts
- 10 pages with greater than 50 posts
- 4 pages with 25-49 posts
- 31 pages with 1-10 posts
- 44 pages with ZERO post members
- 18 banned ex-members (who I sincerely doubt would be willing to chip in to the kitty);)

The stats page shows that only 52.8% of members have ever posted.

So according my decidedly non-scientific very fast calculations, it's looking like you'd have to settle for a raise of around $11,500 a year!;)

THEN, of course, you'd have to take a pay cut due to the members who would leave or become lurkers because they wouldn't be willing or able to afford paying an annual fee.

dk continues to refuse to acknowledge the salient FACT that NOT all members are in a position of renewable income; some are actually retired, living on a fixed income & don't have the luxury of tossing money out hand-over-fist like he does. I'm tired of continuously being called cheap because I don't fall into the income or travel pattern dk does.

Like several others, I find it very interesting that Doug's condoned or sent dk out on a "fishing trip" to see what kind of nibbles this idea would reel in, while remaining silent.

The only way I'd consider paying minimal annual fee would be if Doug were to use it in it's entirety to hire one of more full-time moderators to get this site back to the relative sanity & pleasant place it was prior to Hose A's resignation. IMO, the condition of the site makes it abundantly clear that Doug doesn't have the time to devote to the site to keep posts with the board rules, let alone deal with whoever fulano/Nobullchit/tsgarcia69/sanluquena/Coatlallope/tio_foncho/goodfriend/wetbobo/ DR.EVIL13 is (is vs are, because I believe it's just one person!)

NEW PROPOSAL: How about the heaviest posters pay a post fee since they're using more of the site?? Let's say anyone with over, oh say, 6,300 posts.:lol::lol:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 01:54 PM

Either there are some hiding or you missed them.:no::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
TENGOMIEDO

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 02:02 PM

You forgot me Grover
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 02:03 PM

TENGOMIEDO I love your handle. Wish I had thought of it.
++Ken++
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 02:07 PM

Jee Wiz! Let's get rid of the riff-raff. You know, all those free-loaders that just clutter-up the forum with unwanted, possibly negative opinions that might detract from a Casa for Sale/ Rental/ Fishing Charter/ book etc. They won't pay the fee.:yes: Good riddance to all those cheapos.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 02:13 PM

Let's see............11.5k per year. Now, hire 1-2 full time moderators. Doug's cut. The web host's cut...........hmmmmmm.

I dont think Doug is looking to Nomads to support his family. But it might be nice if it was at least self-supporting. Who wants to police this bunch and be charged for it, too?

It's astounding the level of "ownership" some of you have for Nomads. You want it bathed, brushed and perfumed, without considering the costs, and you threaten to leave if it occasionally soils itself. Or, you want it to be a jungle and threaten to leave if someone weeds out some underbrush; again at a cost of time and money.

Nomads has some great collective knowledge that saves all of us money and actually earns an income for some. But it takes money to run this thing.

If you couldn't afford to become a member because you are on a fixed income, then I would venture to say that you really cant afford to travel in Baja at all. Some form of membership would likely PAY for itself in short order; whether it be business or individual membership. Retired people on fixed income are the kings of assessing value; if this site has value to them, they will find a way to pay for it. If it doesnt' they wont. But they also probably weren't able to fund the first hand experiences to contribute much to the knowledge base, anyway.

Can you imagine how self-policing this site would become IF there was a membership fee, even 5.00? Suddenly, you would lose the drive-by shooters like the ones some have mentioned. Paid sites dont have drive-by putzes, just regular putzes who tend to tone it down, for fear of losing their membership. Yes, even five dollars.

BTW, longlines, if you think DavidK's style of traveling Baja is somehow extravagant, then you'd think many of us travel as the Sultan of Brunei might travel. He seems a pretty frugal traveler to me.

However, am I right in saying that all we have from Doug is a third hand exchange, through DavidK, that Doug would willing accept some income to defray costs? Is that all that generated this?

If so, I think we might be experiencing another example of, in the immortal words of Alan Greenspan, some "irrational exuberance" by a member.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 03:03 PM

I'd be willing to pay but I think otherwise about what that might get me >> could I talk dirty? I've never talked dirty and I've always been curious about it.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 03:05 PM

I say keep some areas public and make a members area that is private. Pay to get in there and those who can't pay can still participate in the public area. That would solve several of the problems and make the moderating easier as you would mainly only have to focus on a few areas in the public forum. Trolls would crash under their own weight as they would just be talking to themselves mostly. If it is the same person as longlegs suggests (and many believe), it might be fun to just watch how they carry on a conversation by themself???

:lol::lol::lol:

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
OK now that DK has floated the idea of donating money to BN, why not some words from Doug? I do believe he is the sole owner of BN and should come forward to explain his thoughts on the topic.

If the situation is at the point that the site would go down without some infusion of cash we should all know. Would hate to see it disappear without some input from all of us.

Ken

Yes, we have only heard from the cheerleader ....

Not from the leader .....

So, not a penny !!

CAboRon

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 04:17 PM

I asked Doug for an address where members could send contributions, donations, tips for good service (whatever you want to call it)... and he gave me the link I posted above.

Frankly, if you think there is no cost or value to maintain this site, then why waste your time here? I find it the most valuable of all the Internet Baja web sites... because it is live interaction with people who have just returned from Baja or who are in Baja right now... and in far greater numbers in one or two days than the other Baja forums see all year!

Carlos Fiesta has a great Baja info web site and I have always maintained a link to it on VivaBaja.com... I wrote the brief Baja Missions page on his site many years ago. Carlos has also attended my Viva Baja events and only missed the last one because he was in the middle of a real estate deal that day... Carlos Fiesta's web site is http://BajaExpo.com However, Carlos' site is not a forum and is not constantly updated by viewers.

You guys can debate between yourselves all you want about why I am promoting Baja Nomad and not Doug, himself... I did explain why in the beginning...

You all know that I am the Nomad with the highest number of posts... for two reasons, I am the longest active registered Nomad online after Doug and I enjoy sharing my Baja trips and history with fellow Baja nuts... as well as enjoy interacting with you guys...

I support Doug the best I can as a friend and Nomad... There is nothing more to it than that. You either would like to give a tip to thank the web site or not, no big deal... either do it or don't, but would you please stop all the whining about not doing it. If you don't have anything nice to say then why spend so much energy finding fault with my suggestion?

PS Hook is right, my Baja trips are all low budget, simple tent camping trips with an occaisional luxury stay at Baja Cactus for $35 a night!!! You who think I have money to burn, don't look at my trip pages to see how I like the simple stuff. The biggest investment is the Tacoma payments because it is an oustanding, reliable Baja 4WD vehicle... I cannot even consider leasing a lot or investing in Baja, like so many of my friends at Camp Gecko or other places have tried to get me to do... My irrigation installations pay just enough for our Baja time outs!:yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You all know that I am the Nomad with the highest number of posts... for two reasons, I am the longest active registered Nomad online after Doug and I enjoy sharing my Baja trips and history with fellow Baja nuts... as well as enjoy interacting with you guys...

David... why don't you have the above as your signature? Then you could stop continually reminding us of 'the facts'.

I believe that if Doug needs or would feel better about receiving donations to fund the forums, then he'll tell us.

All that's happening with your repeated attempt to convince me/us to behave according to your suggestions, is that you're really ticking me off. Please be quiet now. We all understand your position.

No response necessary... please and thank you.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 05:00 PM

Quote:

DK, according to profile stats, you alone are responsible for over 5 percent (>1/20) of all posts on the board -- maybe you should pay for 5 percent of operating costs? How about a pay-per-post plan to cut down on clutter like pics of peoples pets and repetetive trip log posts? :lol::lol:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 05:36 PM

:yes::lol::yes::lol::yes::lol::saint::yes::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
I'd be willing to pay but I think otherwise about what that might get me >> could I talk dirty? I've never talked dirty and I've always been curious about it.

yes! but only if you talk to yourself.

edit: and leave the biting dolphins out of the discussion.:light:

[Edited on 9-27-2008 by woody in ob]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

DK, according to profile stats, you alone are responsible for over 5 percent (>1/20) of all posts on the board -- maybe you should pay for 5 percent of operating costs? How about a pay-per-post plan to cut down on clutter like pics of peoples pets and repetetive trip log posts? :lol::lol:

I would NOT ask others to do what I have not already done, my friend... How about people who make posts containing un-nice comments, or repeating the same false statements even after presented with facts pay DOUBLE?:light:

[Edited on 9-27-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 06:03 PM

Let it go David, this has gone on far too long. Some of us get it (I do) and some of us don't. You're a great guy and your heart is in the right place. We haven't met but I'm sure we will and I appreciate what you do and try to do on this board.

Don't beat your head against the wall to try to convince the nay-sayers, don't try to confuse them with the facts, their mind is made up......dt
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 06:31 PM

Ya know, we could discuss all this over a beer at the fundraising party.
A party. Remember? Fun, laughter, good friends?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
How about a pay-per-post plan to cut down on clutter like pics of peoples pets and repetetive trip log posts? :lol::lol:

Hey,
You leave my pussy out of it.:mad::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2008 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Let it go David, this has gone on far too long. Some of us get it (I do) and some of us don't. You're a great guy and your heart is in the right place. We haven't met but I'm sure we will and I appreciate what you do and try to do on this board.

Don't beat your head against the wall to try to convince the nay-sayers, don't try to confuse them with the facts, their mind is made up......dt

Yup, some get it and some don't-----yup, some do and some don't-- that is for sure, some get and some don't get it, whatever it is.

Just lots of difference of "facts" also known as opinions. But I guess maybe some opinions are facts, and some are not----does get quite confusing.

Opinions become facts for some, and other opinions are facts for others.

But yes, some get it and some don't --depending on your opinion of what it is, or what the facts of it is.

Diane

[Edited on 9-27-2008 by jdtrotter]

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.