BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: MULEGE CAFE REVIEWS - (THE LATEST - 'ELEVEN-SEVEN')
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 09:17 AM

Great photo, Bob! The best I have seen.

They are now building a deck above that will have a killer view of the estuary and Cortez beyond.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 09:26 AM

Roger, there was a deck above then... and I think it's been expanded. Wonderful place with great home cook'n. Nice family place indeed. I can't wait to go back there. We stopped by and spent about three hours there... and almost adopted a black lab puppy that sat in our lap as we sipped on our margaritas!
Bob H

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 09:46 AM

Ah so, Bob...I guess they are replacing the flooring above now.

I love those labs! I will try the pinapple drink and the margaritas, too.

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 09:53 AM

Pancho Villas...The best, or maybe that new breakfast place across from the Jungle...thats a best place too.
Had the best shrimp c-cktail at El Patron Thursday night.
Don't forget about Rays Place out in the valley.

Wow, so many good places to eat in Mulege...what to do? what to do?

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Ah so, Bob...I guess they are replacing the flooring above now.

I love those labs! I will try the pinapple drink and the margaritas, too.

Hey, here's the pineapple margaritas that we had.... yummy
Bob H

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 10:08 AM

Here's a closeup of that beautiful black lab that we ALMOST adopted!
Bob H

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

biggrin.gif posted on 3-14-2009 at 12:23 PM
Now you've done it, Roger!

I had a day goin' where I was just gonna do nuthin' 'cept veg in the sun and read. Now I gots ta git up 'n "force" a trip to Pancho Villa's for almuerzo.

Oh, the stress! Jeez, I might even run into Amy there and I'd have to give my meal my wholly divided attention. :O

rpleger
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 10:24 AM

Went to Mely's on saturday night....

Chicken enchalada with red sauce...need I say it...the best.

Lots of people there for dinner..

Richard on the Hill

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 08:24 AM
Los Olivos - A Mulege Riverside Cafe

Ah...finally got to try Los Olivos cafe on the south river road in Mulege yesterday. A peaceful place and good experience.

I joined some fellow nomads about 10:00 for brunch..ugh..I am not a 'brunch' kinda guy..so let's make that a 'late breakfast.'

(..slight detour here. I see Brunch signs and think...tea and crumpets, doilies you don't dare spill on, and your great aunt Abagail serving with the tiny cups that would only fit a doll's fingers. I think 'breakfast' in gallons of coffee in mugs, pounds of bacon, full ham slice, mountains of crispy hash browns, a flat of eggs, 6-inch stack of flapjacks, sticks of butter, hogshead of sryup, sourdough Texas toast, jar of raspberry jam...and a small orange slice...halved. That trencherman's table will do just fine, thanks.)

The location of Los Olivos is easy to find, it's next door to La Jungla cantina and has an excellent view of the riverfront and mangroves. Take the highway turnoff where you see the Jungla and Bart's signs..between the Orchard and Hotel Cuesta entries. Down the road you go..all the way to the river and it's right there..on your left. ;D

I had driven by the place the previous day..after eating at the riverside place on the opposite side, Pancho Villa's. I was full, naturally, so only visited a short time with these satisfied patrons. They had such raves about the cream omelette they had just eaten, that I knew I would be coming here soon. The charming hostess came out with her beautiful child to say hello and invite me back.

So now I am back...and joined my breakfast companions, Beachgirl and mulegmichael. I asked how the coffee was? That brought on some hearty smiles.

I think they had some extra Kahlua in thiers, so I hastily ordered the same.
From hostess Blanca. After asking her name, I introduced myself and she said..I know you, Rogelio.

That's the way it is if you live in a small town for so long...years fly by and friend's children grow up on you.
Beachgirl shows me the cafe mascot..what a pair of cuties!

Then our co-hostess, Jeanine, brought me a menu...and I was hit by the thunderbolt...Kaa-POW! I will eat absolutely anything this vision will put before me. Gimme a riverrock, I don't care...

The new love of my life convinced me to order off the menu..which was full of goodies, as you shall see here:
(Spanish on one side - English on the other..What a novel idea!..the clever angels.)

Aphrodite..I mean Jeanine ..brought my breakfast of whatever I had blindly pointed to while looking into her eyes.

The plate was a wonderous surprise...I think she must have guessed my favorite breakfast is huevos rancheros. What a dish..be still my heart.

And..as if that great meal were not enough, Jeanine sets a beautifully arranged plate of tiny empenadas and fruit in front of me. Ahh..the good life is definetely in Mulege. I could even manage one of those tiny teacups for this cafe.

Beachgirl asks mulegemichael and me how we liked the place? This picture says it all...

After another fine cup of coffee and loosening my belt one notch, I go inside to compliment the two businesswomen of Los Olivos..Jeanine and Blanca. Congratulations on a very good cafe. I shall return..you can bet on it.

rpleger
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 09:21 AM

Good for you Roger... finally found the best breakfast in Mulege.

Not to take away from Pancho Villa's or Carmalita's tho.

Mulege is blessed with many good places to eat

Richard on the Hill

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 09:41 AM

wow...those are beautiful plates and hunky guys too accompanied by the lovely as ever beach girl! We shall be doing more visiting in Mulege and eating....see ya in semana santa.
Makes me poo poo those of you who fear that an influx of gringos in Asuncion will ruin it...man I cant wait till the village can support a yummy, creative new restaurant.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2009 at 07:57 AM
Sophia and Polo's 7-11 Quick Stop Cafe/Store

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
wow...those are beautiful plates and hunky guys too accompanied by the lovely as ever beach girl! We shall be doing more visiting in Mulege and eating....see ya in semana santa.
Makes me poo poo those of you who fear that an influx of gringos in Asuncion will ruin it...man I cant wait till the village can support a yummy, creative new restaurant.

shari...poo-poo away. Creative people all over Baja are pursueing thier own Field of Dreams, following the premise of ..Build it and they shall come.

Here's one of my favorite creative persons in Mulege. Sophia, owner-operator of the cozy Eleven-Seven Cafe and tienda across from the highway Pemex station and next to Saul's La Palapa.

One of those truly delightful people you love to talk to over a great cup of coffee. She also serves muy tasty food...like this mouth-watering chicken snack I recently shared with Two Dogs. Saturdays are for her famous mini-burgers..mmm. She attracts a regular breakfast crowd of admirers. I make up reasons to run to town and stop here coming..or going. You are sure to meet..or make..some friends.

I would love for my plant experiments to turn out as healthy looking as Sophia's greenery here...wow, good going, Sophia.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.