BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: MULEGE CAFE REVIEWS - (THE LATEST - 'ELEVEN-SEVEN')
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 06:19 AM
MULEGE CAFE REVIEWS - (THE LATEST - 'ELEVEN-SEVEN')

DONEYS

Most everyone who has been to Mulege at least twice has probably eaten at Mely's .."Doneys"

The cafe is located just a block into town from the 'Y'..(or past that godawful monument you drive under nowadays) It's on your right. Parallel parking in front.

I stopped by Doneys the other day...suffering from another severe snack attack. I loved what I ate there..but then I always have for the last umpteen years, so what else is new?

Well...I'll tell you what is new. The whole dang place is new. New colors, new entry and front, new furniture, new menu, new atmosphere, new prices, new pompano..no wait..it's the same old pompano.

Our host....same old good guy, Mely. Shown here applying 'quality control' techniques.

These patrons show thier selections for breakfast....

Deeelicious, they said.

Fair enough, I said..and ordered both.

Hey!, researching/writing cafe reviews works up a huge appetite, y'know.

[Edited on 3-18-2009 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 07:01 AM

the papas Rellenos are uniquely delicious there.:light:
i think Frambes likes the Sunday chicken.:bounce:

i wish i was eating there now!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 10:39 AM

no no no...:P

the saturday bbq chicken...

we like take-out!!! :light:

[Edited on 11-2-2008 by Bob and Susan]

chick.JPG - 41kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
2-tie-dye-4
Nomad

Mood: jonesin' for Baja

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 11:10 AM

I like El Candil in Mulege, I don't hear anything about it. Does anybody know if Russ and Tim are still around? I haven't been there in over a year. We really dug it the first time when the Mexicans had it. Only been there once since Scott bought it and it seemed very Gringo, but way cute puppies behind the bar. And, I mean dogs. little baby ones. guess I'll stick with Zulema in Santispac.

We\'re all here cuz we\'re not all there, mountain stranded time
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 11:42 AM

Does the Doney's that replaced Asadoro(sp) Ramon still have carnitas? Ramon made the best carnitas, I'm sorry he passed.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 12:53 PM

yes, i think Sat is dany's big carnitas day. he roasts a pig for sat.
that place is fantastic!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 01:07 PM

Heading down next Sunday (yes week from today) Where the heck is it located. I can't place anywhere from the pic's. Which block is it in???? Looks terrific. Will have to try it out on the way to Nopolo
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 01:35 PM

Pomp
What in the world are those pink things on the plates?

I love that place too. We always eat there when in Mulege.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 01:57 PM
No offense Roger but...

Fool me once shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me!

Two new menus as well?? I hope the prices are the same.

Just hard to shake off that type of experience. I remember that those were tough times after "John" and we were the only folks in there at the time. Besides, they never laid eyes on us before. Not that that matters.:lol:

Oh, the food. Yes, I ate it.

Of course remember that food IS very subjective. What you see as a great meal, someone next to you might see as ordinary restaurant slop fare.;D

I especially like that "paper-plate presentation".:bounce:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 02:03 PM

Doney's has become one of our favorite places to eat in Mulege. Very clean, great food, friendly staff and the menu is wonderful as far as all of the great choices. Would highly recommend it to anyone. They are closed on Tuesdays.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Fool me once shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me!

Two new menus as well?? I hope the prices are the same.

Just hard to shake off that type of experience. I remember that those were tough times after "John" and we were the only folks in there at the time. Besides, they never laid eyes on us before. Not that that matters.:lol:

Oh, the food. Yes, I ate it.

Of course remember that food IS very subjective. What you see as a great meal, someone next to you might see as ordinary restaurant slop fare.;D

Both the English and Spanish menus are priced identically in Pesos. Mely is serious about quality and runs a tight ship. While I am not in the restaraunt biz like you his kitchen looks very clean to me. I've been eating there since it was just the small taco stand and I like that the original taco stand menu is still there as well as the new items. Had some really good chicken enchiladas there last week. The weekend chicken and birria are good and it is a reliable place for breakfast. I would say the clientle is evenly split between Gringos and locals.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 03:08 PM

Quote:

Looking at the photo I thought the same thing but after a second look I don't think so. A paper plate would bend under the weight of the food being held up for the photo. For you Mulege locals - do they serve the food on paper plates???

Just curious...

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:

Looking at the photo I thought the same thing but after a second look I don't think so. A paper plate would bend under the weight of the food being held up for the photo. For you Mulege locals - do they serve the food on paper plates???

Just curious...

No, those are not paper plates.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 04:52 PM

Some answers:

Don't confuse Donny's (Mele"s) with Dany's Asadero. Two different places.

Pompano gave exact directions to Donny's(Mele's). See his first post. Mele does a good job. He's got that flavor thing goin' on. the place is well run. Not too pricey.

Scotty's El Candil is great! Scotty is a great chef from Oregon. His kitchen and wait staff are top rate. They are well trained, know the customers by name and give great service. His top line of food is pricey, but worth it. Not nearly as pricy as a comparable meal in the U.S. You don't have to order the top of the line. You can also get burgers and tacos. If you do order his nightly specials, you can get Yellowtail, Cabrilla, Sonora Steak, Camarones, Chicken, Pork. He also has a smoker. There is a great patio in back, parking too. And it is the cornerstone watering hole and social spot in town, catacorner from the plaza. A great hang, too. Mom and Pop are also there, taking care of business and schmoozing. When there, ask if (Trumpet player)Tony is there (after New Year's day). I'd love to meet all Nomads that aren't on my s**t list. :smug::yes::cool:

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 05:03 PM
Just an experience

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:

Just curious...

No, those are not paper plates.

:lol::lol: Of course they're not Kurt. Just at first glance they resemble them.

Quote:

Both the English and Spanish menus are priced identically in Pesos

Not that day.
Oh, it wassn't me that got irked. It was a friend who just happened to be an ex-accountant. He almost went ballistic and refused to pay the higher amount. I did pay it for him.

I was pretty shocked as well but my meal was the same price as the Spanish menu meal price. Sorry again I shared this story. Not something folks want to hear.:rolleyes:

The food was pretty average imho, actually better than Baja average and a nice clean environment. Darn , I swore off critiquing restaurants. My bad!

[Edited on 11-6-2008 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Pomp
What in the world are those pink things on the plates?

I love that place too. We always eat there when in Mulege.

Judy..those are cosas de rojo. Deelicious. :rolleyes:

I know these dishes have a name..but for the life of me I cannot remember. Maybe somebody reading this will help me out? Both breakfast items...hmm..the left one is no. 2 o3 on the menu and the right plate is something de Cortez?
I have it! de Cortez!

I agree on always eating there and loving it, judy..as we did just a few days ago when my cafe-owner pal from Cabo and his buddy, owner of a fancy French place in TJ, took me there for breakfast. They tipped heavily.
Mely has been at this business since he quit working for the Serinadad as desk manager a long time ago. Here's a pic of him a few years back...

And now ..

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Some answers:

Don't confuse Donny's (Mele"s) with Dany's Asadero. Two different places.

Pompano gave exact directions to Donny's(Mele's). See his first post. Mele does a good job. He's got that flavor thing goin' on. the place is well run. Not too pricey.

Scotty's El Candil is great! Scotty is a great chef from Oregon. His kitchen and wait staff are top rate. They are well trained, know the customers by name and give great service. His top line of food is pricey, but worth it. Not nearly as pricy as a comparable meal in the U.S. You don't have to order the top of the line. You can also get burgers and tacos. If you do order his nightly specials, you can get Yellowtail, Cabrilla, Sonora Steak, Camarones, Chicken, Pork. He also has a smoker. There is a great patio in back, parking too. And it is the cornerstone watering hole and social spot in town, catacorner from the plaza. A great hang, too. Mom and Pop are also there, taking care of business and schmoozing. When there, ask if (Trumpet player)Tony is there (after New Year's day). I'd love to meet all Nomads that aren't on my s**t list. :smug::yes::cool:

Hey Tony..Scottys is just plain good food and good people. I hope to see lutefisk or chicken gizzards on the menu next time..good down home cookin, y'know what I mean?

Tony! Jeez...am I on that s**t list? I promise I won't bring up Ed Schultz or any other whacko commie pinkos...honest. Hey, how about opening a new beachside cafe..."Zulema's"..has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? 'Fast Eddy and the Slow Learners' could play there...along with the 'Soggy Bottom Boys'.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 09:31 PM

Rog.
Naw...you aren't on the list. There's (barely) room enough for the both of us, but once I learned how to get around you after a good meal, it's all a been a piece of cake.

Speaking of pastel.....Hmmm. Zulema's,huh?I see you mentioned my name to her for that photo. She only smiles like that when she thinks of me. ( Uh, maybe that was a sueno?) Well, suenos is all I have until I can get back down there at the end of the year.
Saludos, amigo!:biggrin:

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 06:58 PM

Best food in Mulege for the money...always good at a fair price...no paper plates...I eat there at least once a week...I eat other places too...like to spread around my business...
I eat at home too...

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 08:02 PM

Hey Roger, thanks for the photos of the refurbished Doneys place. Audrey and I love eating there every time we visit Mulege. We plan to spend a week in late January down there. Can't wait to eat there again, as well as El Candil. I love the beer battered lobster chunks with Scotty's special dip sauce for them. Oh, gotta go eat.
Later,
Bob H
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2008 at 12:41 PM

Beer battered lobster chunks dipped dipped in special sauce??? The fact that I've managed to miss that dish WILL be rectified during my next Mulege visit. Thanks for the heads up, BobH.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.