Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: The Border's Massive Litter Problem
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 04:21 PM

i second that!!!...geez!...this is crazy!.....and these folks are people who "love" baja?...

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 04:44 PM
Can't speak for anyone else but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
So, you're saying the only thing wrong with Mexico is Mexicans.

I would never say that about Mexico. France, Canada, Texas and Arkansas maybe, but never Mexico.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Of course Barry that can be a factor......unless you contact some super nasty bug. Then all you acquired immune reponses will mean nada.

Please explain how you DO NOT protect yourself. You mean like not dressing for the weather? Standing face to face with sick or sneezing people? You hike in the nude? :olo: :lol:

I pick up other peoples litter------

I don't always don gloves when working around trash and garbage-----

I don't wash my hands with anti-bacterial soap every time I touch things at the grocery store, etc. etc.-------(but I do wash in restrooms)-------:lol:

I think you know what I mean------some folks, I think, go way to far in avoiding "germs", to their detriment IMO long term. You have GOT to be exposed to SOME germs to build up your immunities, and keep them there.

Barry
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 05:15 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing that your only real contact with Mexicans has been the rural peasant types. Actually, Mexico has a huge population of highly educated and cultured people. Great universities, museums, medical facilities. You're just not going to encounter those things camping on a secluded beach in the middle of Baja.

And for the record, the United States is home to quite a number of ill-mannered, ill-educated, backward people as well.

Now that certainly clears up the matter.:lol::lol::lol:

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
And for the record, the United States is home to quite a number of ill-mannered, ill-educated, backward people as well.

I think they are called Ugly Americans....And many people in the world think we are ALL like that.....It's called a sterotype and, unfortunately, it cuts both ways.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 05:59 PM

Hmmm. Methinks the administrator has made some surgical incisions here. OK by me.

For the record, whenever I travel abroad I act like a guest. If, for some reason, I did not enjot the experience, if i cannot resolve in my own mind why, I just do not return. Now that i think about it, I really can't think of anywhere I would want to revisit!

As for the ugly American thing, perhaps no other citizenry other than France travels with the sense of superiority that Americnas do. Never really understood it. It's not a contest about who is better. People and cultures are different. So if we can just keep McDonalds and Starbucks from subverting other cultures, we can all enjoy foreign travel.:lol:
Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 06:43 PM
Sure is nice to have

a moderator who seems to think every negative comment should be slashed.

Of course when your making money off a site hiding the facts is apparently the way to go, never mind the truth.

\"take what you can, give nothing back!\"

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.\'

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

We can have no \"50-50\" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.

Theodore Roosevelt
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajack

Of course when your making money off a site hiding the facts is apparently the way to go, never mind the truth.

You are not the first one to notice ....

But you have to keep your mouth shut or you will be banned...

Some of the best contributers have been so treated.

CaboRon

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:

Which negative comments have been slashed, old wise one?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 07:23 PM

my wife's first response after clearing the toll at playas heading north her first time (we went south in the early morning darkness) was, "WHAT THE PHUK IS WRONG WITH THIS CITY?" you know, when you look out your passenger window between the toll and the exit for SD down those canyons????

it has always looked like that for me, so i just accepted it when i was in 9th grade and moved on. She's from Peru and thought that the hideousness subsided the closer you got to the border, i.e. the promised land!

:o:o:o:o:o

there's something to the generalization that goes.... when you have nothing to look forward to, and you have less to count on, much less enough safety, education, and perish the thought, enough food for your 9 kids to eat.......why would you care about dropping a scrap of paper or smashing a bottle on the rocks along side the road?

it's really obvious, no?

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Quote:

Which negative comments have been slashed, old wise one?

I've been edited- get over it. It changes everything.

I learned where the line. The line for me is when a topic goes from 'baja trash' to 'go home ugly americans'. The moderator edits on his own standards. From that edit onthough- nothing is the truth because whole parts are removed.

That's why I had once asked if we could change "OFF TOPIC" to "Baja Opinions"- so people could discuss things that weren't peace, love and fish tacos without getting edited here. Sort of like Craig's List rants and raves for TJ- but baja related (it is 18 and over).

Why not start a twin thread in OT on a hot topic so nomads can chime in at their comfort levels. JMHO

[Edited on 1-28-2009 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 07:37 PM

si' mon! only hot chicks in thongs!!!!!!

sorry, i can't resist!

no.jpg - 35kB

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 07:39 PM

Woody, sorry, but I just had to report your posting. OMG what language!!:tumble:

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabobaja
Gee, here we go. See what you started Zac. I'm a Mexican. 4 yr degree. Didn't
know I was filthy and a uneducated peasant. I will have to change my resume.

I was talking about the trash I see in the tourist region of Rosarito Beach in baja norte- which is the basic thread topic. The problem with Mexico beaches is that it has the USA as it's neighbor. You can't even smoke a cigarette on the beach in San Diego because the cigarette butts are too polluting. Look at the difference only 30 miles south. That's my point.

Mexico is a rich country in natural resources and has strong, hard-working people who keep their families close. The trash problem is one of culture, not of intent. eg., I can't get Mexico City to allow me permits to install a free beach toilet for the people (there is not one free public tolet in the tourist zone of Rosarito Beach)-so yes I do complain when someone squats in front of my house (every family has a shovel and a roll of TP when they come to the beach here). The people I see using the public city beaches were raised to take care of themselves and really don't give much thought about how it impacts anything. They don't even know it's a problem. It's not malicious or stupid- it's just the way they were raised and they don't give it a thought. They just worked 5 and half days for a two hundred bucks and all they want to do it is pile in the van and enjoy the beach for a few hours with their children. I get that.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 08:07 PM

Well just that's another way of saying they don't give a crap.

\"take what you can, give nothing back!\"

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.\'

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

We can have no \"50-50\" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.

Theodore Roosevelt
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Well just that's another way of saying they don't give a crap.

'tis about time everyone gets it.......:light:

BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 10:23 PM

from personal experience, the hope will stand with the children. I have witnessed the scene as described by others, youngsters throwing trash away without a glance or second thought.

I've not lived in Mexico. Only visited.

While traveling the hiways and byways of Baja N & S, I was always (impressed/distressed/awed/flabbergasted) by the amount of trash. I saw my son throw something away improperly one time and he got his butt chewed royally! He doesn't do it any more.

I may be making a huge mistake here, and if so, I hope someone with proof will add it to the thread, but.........I am going to assume the majority of trash dumped in Mexico is left by Mexican nationals, not visitors.

I guess what I'd compare it to is a typical day at the beach NOB -vs- SOB. ( and DON"T start with South CA beach comparisons! I'm talking about a regular beach anywhere along the coast}

If you could "via sci-fi" spend a day at the beach with each culture, who do you think would take their trash home. or who do you think would empty out the trash barrel, use it as a wind break for their bbq, and then leave all the schtuff on the beach?

Who has the "Adopt-A-Highway" program?

The hope really does lie in the next generation. What's that about teaching old dogs new tricks.............

and jfyi, if there were clean up in an area if Baja I was staying in, I would participate if the children were involved............
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 10:51 PM

Trash removal along border receives state funding

By Janine Zúñiga 2:00 a.m. January 22, 2009
TIJUANA RIVER VALLEY — State waste officials have awarded $250,000 in grants to the California Department of Parks and Recreation for a trash-removal system along the U.S.-Mexico border.
The money from the California Integrated Waste Management Board will be used to install the trash-removal system, which state parks officials previously had designed and bought but had not used. The system will be installed in Goat Canyon tidal basins that trap sediment when it rains.
“The sediment basins are very effective in capturing sediment, but not the trash that can collect there and that washes away with the next big storm,” said Clay Phillips, superintendent for California State Parks and Tijuana Estuary manager.
Phillips said the trash-removal system uses booms, or floating barriers. One boom will control trash and debris floating in the basins. A heavier boom will drag the basin for larger objects, such as tires.
Phillips said he hopes to have the system installed and operating within a few months.
The system will not provide direct relief for ranchers and farmers who were flooded by storms in December, when flood-control channels and the Tijuana River overflowed. That area is in the lower Tijuana River Valley, about a mile east of the Goat Canyon basins.
However, if the new system works, it could be used in other valley locations
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 11:13 PM

just one more note about "pride of ownership"-

we live in a very small rural community in a long valley with a river flowing through it that has many small beaches that allow many river-oriented activities. In the past, those of us who consider ourselves residents of our little town of 60 people, would self-police the litter on our little beach on the river. We visit the small beach 1-2 times a week in the summer and it was common for us to bring home a grocery bag of garbage from other people. We would specifically take a plastic grocery bag with us, and our cooler of beer, to pick up the trash. Our child was playing in the sand and I didn't want him to get cut on some nasty broken beer bottle!

Some local "MRS. .....??" {like in the other story} got all uppity writing letters to the local paper about the government not taking care of the pit toilet they had recently installed, and "SHE" was personally picking up all the garbage..................

It ticked off all of the rest of us who had been picking up the garbage all along. I know several people who don't take home the trash anymore. Their view is... "let Mrs. XXX" do it.

This is a reverse in the way it was, and I feel it was better before. Local people should take pride and concern for their neighborhoods!

In the springtime, I see tons of "big boy" beer cans of a certain beer type. There's not many people who live along our road, I'll find out who drinks "BRAND X"!

I just don't get the argument that "things are so tough for the locals, they can't even think about teaching their children not to litter". Is it that they can't afford trash service? I get that. But dumping out the trash barrel so you can use it as a wind break for your Sunday family bbq on the beach and then leaving all the trash blowing in the wind???????????????

I don't get that...............
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 11:53 PM

When I was a kid I was fishing with my granddad in Colorado, We stopped at a little store and he bought me ice cream. As we were walking across the parking lot I unwrapped the ice cream and threw the wrapper on the ground.
My grandfather was appaled and ask what the hell I thought I was doing. I explained that they paid people to pick up the trash so it was okay if I threw it on the ground.
I don't remember it being unpleasant in any way but I do remember that I picked up the wrapper and put it in the trash.

That was over 40 years ago and I still remember that lesson.

What if he had not said anything to me?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.