[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 04:29 PM

Now....That's Baja.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Can you show me a country other than the US that is as hated by so many governments (because we dare to have freedom) thus requiring the best armed forces in the world? Those same anti US governments whose people risk death to leave and come to the U.S., mind you!

DK,
they don't "hate us" because we "dare to have freedom." they oppose us because we mess around inside their country (figuratively and literally), and our reasons are often publicly stated as being "liberation," when all know our reasons are usually about extracting natural resources or protecting trade for our big industries.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 04:56 PM

Goat, after I posted that... I removed it, BECAUSE it just added fuel to the fire of U.S. hate you and your friends have... and it isn't Baja related. There was no need for you to drag it back up unless you enjoy hating... :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 04:59 PM

DK- I think Glen Beck is on right now.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
DK- I think Glen Beck is on right now.

Is he any good? :rolleyes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 06:19 PM

A guy is wating for his friend (mexican friend), wich is about a hour late, so by this time he is pretty upset. His friend finally shows up and says " WHY ARE YOU PIST OFF AT ME, I JUST GOT HERE'..coute from George Lopez(comedian). Sorry i couldn't help my self..

[Edited on 9-15-2009 by BAJACAT]

[Edited on 9-15-2009 by BAJACAT]

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Arrowhead- Please identify a country in the world that has a defense budget appraoching that of ours and has anywhere near the numbers of troops abroad. We could solve many of our domestic problems just by reallocating our priorities, and still have ample defense and security. Sorry for the sorta hijack.

Well you just changed the question, didn't you? First you asked who meddles more, and not getting the answer you expected, now you are asking who spends more on defense.

I've got good news and bad news for you. The bad news is that the US spends about 10 times more on defense than the next largest spender (China). The good news is that we can afford it. When you look at total defense spending as a percentage of a country's GDP, we are way down on the list, we are number 28. That means there are 27 countries in the world that spend a greater percentage of their GDP on defense than the US.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mil_exp_per_of_gdp-militar...

But, now we go on to disprove your theory that if we spent less on defense we would have more to solve our domestic problems.

The US spent approximately $800 billion last year on defense.

Mexico spent $6 billion on defense. That is 3/4 of 1% of the US budget.

The US has 304 million people, Mexico has 110 million people, or about one-third of the US. So, with all that money not spent of defense and available for domestic problems, why is Mexico so far behind the US in domestic infrastructure? Where did the money go? Why do you think defense dollars not spent convert to domestic improvements?

No soy por ni contra apatía.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead

Mexico spent $6 billion on defense. That is 3/4 of 1% of the US budget.

The US has 304 million people, Mexico has 110 million people, or about one-third of the US. So, with all that money not spent of defense and available for domestic problems, why is Mexico so far behind the US in domestic infrastructure? Where did the money go? Why do you think defense dollars not spent convert to domestic improvements?

That money went into private pockets .

Mordida, Bribary, and Skimming are what business , government and culture are based on in Mexico .

Remember ? Rotten To The Core .

[Edited on 9-15-2009 by CaboRon]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Goat, after I posted that... I removed it, BECAUSE it just added fuel to the fire of U.S. hate you and your friends have... and it isn't Baja related. There was no need for you to drag it back up unless you enjoy hating... :light:

dk,
I am sure you have no idea what I hate or do not hate, and I am also sure you never will have a clue.
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 02:16 PM

You know I did think of ONE important time for me in Baja. That is 10 a.m. because they won't sell beer until then. Hell, when I am down there I really don't even care what day it is.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred
You know I did think of ONE important time for me in Baja. That is 10 a.m. because they won't sell beer until then. Hell, when I am down there I really don't even care what day it is.

Except tomorrow. Do your shopping today 'cause most everything will be closed for Independence Day.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 04:16 PM

Arrowhead- You appear to deal with questions as a lawyer would. Just an observation from someone who spent a long career work with the legal system. I'm somewhat hesitant to tweak this once again, but despite all your statistics, would it still not make some sense to reallocate a significant portion of the money we do spend on defense to domestic issues? Maybe we could create the living environment that would be the envy of the world.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2009 at 11:39 AM

Finally got the time to respond to this thread - it's one of my hot buttons.

The lack of appropriate respect for time is a major, major flaw in the Mexican culture. It is symptomatic of other behaviors and sheer laziness, not to mention that it is form of dishonest behavior. I have always thought that laziness is a form of theft as often the things that don't get done or done properly cause someone else a detriment that must be suffered and/or paid for to remedy.

There is no excuse for this behavior, period! The only thing that is good about it is that this behavior reduces stress on the perpetrator of the tardiness. The bad things about it are numerous and far, far outway the benefit (besides, it benefits the wrong and undeserving person). A responsible society must weigh stress against the detriments of tardiness. In the end, to defend tardiness is a losing battle.

I whole-heatedly agree with the person who likened this Mexican flaw to the inability of being honest and honorable and admitting, "I don't know". Rather than being on time and rather than being honest, they will tell you something that is not correct. Then, when you rely on the false info, again, someone else (often you) suffers the detriment and has to pay for the remedy.

These two behaviors have cost me weeks and months of time and thousands and thousands of dollars. Not right. There is no defense for this.

The interesting thing about these flaws is that it is not limited to the average Mexican citizen, it is rampant, ubiquitous and pervasive among the so-called Mexican professionals (architects and contractors, accountants, lawyers, government officials, bankers, notarios, and immigration personnel).

I absolutely hate this about Mexico. With all my experiences over the years, I have come to a more informed and therefore logically cynical feel, opinion and regard for Mexico and it's people. Now that I KNOW what to expect, how can I feel "wonderful" about the country and its people? You know, they have bars over all their windows for a reason.

I will still maintain a presence in Baja, but it is appropriately guarded. Soon, I will be able to simplify and limit my activity to fishing and vacationing. I am looking forward to not having to deal with administrative things anymore and I will place my money, time and effots elsewhere.

Mexico is what it is. I now know what it "is" and it certainly does not measure up to what I initially thought.

There are many things that I love about Mexico: the weather, the lucious fruits and chicken meat, the terrain, the beaches, the fishing, the partying, the low cost of labor and housing and utilities and gasoline, and very certain and selected people - not most people and not the government. I will never go back to Hawaii because Mexico has everything that Hawaii has at 1/3 the cost. I will, however, start to recreate more in the USA, Canada, and Europe from now on.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2009 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
The lack of appropriate respect for time is a major, major flaw in the Mexican culture. It is symptomatic of other behaviors and sheer laziness, not to mention that it is form of dishonest behavior. I have always thought that laziness is a form of theft as often the things that don't get done or done properly cause someone else a detriment that must be suffered and/or paid for to remedy.

:lol::lol::lol: Man Oh Man, Mitch....I hope you're wearing your asbestos jock strap 'cause they're gonna be coming after you now. :lol::lol::lol:
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2009 at 12:06 PM

I know, Dennis, that's why this forum is so much fun and down right addictive.
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2009 at 01:26 PM

I get a lot of ribbing from my Mexican family about living my life "on a schedule".

I tell them it has its merits . . .
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2009 at 01:56 PM

I'm so late with this post that the Mexican-time thread has been hijacked, but I'm going to pretend not to have noticed:

After living in La Paz long enough to count on everything being at least 45 minutes late, we turned up on that schedule for a parade--to find that it was over. Parades started on time even in the Good Old Days.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2009 at 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Parades started on time even in the Good Old Days.

Are you sure? It may have been a year late.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2009 at 02:17 PM

Mitch, before you can go any farther trying to convince us that people who are late are liars and theives you must be careful not to insinuate that those who are punctual are perfect. You are right about being late and the cost -- turns out that as people get more punctual, the costs goes up. To prove my point, that later is cheaper, if they never show up, there is no cost at all for the product or service you ordered. Don't stay up nights, my man. Here's something much more worthy of your concern. Inanimate objects are the natural enemy of man. Two guys proved that one -- they got a ladder, some loaves of bread, a zillion carpet swatches (all different quality), and finally some cherry jam. Jammed up the bread, climbed the ladder, tossed the bread, let it land on the carpet. You already know the answer; the number of times the bread landed jam down was directly proportional to the price of the carpet. Just tossing that around in your brain will make your Mexican trips seem almost culture fault neutral.

[Edited on 9-17-2009 by Osprey]
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2009 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kp_martin
LOL jdtrotter! I remember one time riding a bus out of Puerto Vallarta and ended up in the middle of nowhere (I guess) and my wife and I are the only ones left on the bus. he parked and shut off the bus, got off and lit up a smoke. We finally decided he was waiting for us to get off. So we did. He got back in and started it up, we gave him a few more pesos and headed back the way we came! That was nothing but pure fun! Whoda thunk it?

kp martin... and so we meet again. Buenas, amigo.;D

First time I enjoyed your bus trip story was one evening in spring of 2004 at Serenidad. You and your lovely woman, our pilot Michael, me 'n my husband happened together to enjoy dinner and drinks and stories.... stories that had me laughin' so hard my tummi ached the next day. I still have a picture of you two out in the jungle shouting "Returno?!"

Neat to meet you again on Nomads.
Maybe soon we'll be blessed to share another story hour in Baja.:yes:

nena

Edit: ooops, apologies for having hijacked all this with my little hello.... I'll try to control myself in the future - honest.

[Edited on 9-17-2009 by Natalie Ann]

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.