Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Biosphere Reserve Permits MAY be required for private boats
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2009 at 08:19 PM

FYI there is no small boat permit currently in Mexico. None either for tenders to larger boats.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
As much as I love fishing in Asuncion during fall there are many other places to fish that are not inside the Biosphere.
If I thought my money was doing something to help the fishery I wouldn't mind but I don't have any faith in the Biophere. It's just a new scam to collect money.
I will probably fish other places now.
I love Mag Bay!

If your not bringing your boat down (in your plane), it's still only the 5 bucks a day extra. Or is it the principle of the thing.

Ya, it's just the principle. Until the Biophere people are willing to demonstrate that they are making tangle improvements to the Biosphere I am unwilling to give them money. Even $5.
I think that they believe that helping the people who live in the Biosphere is their job. Helping to develope and increase the population of people in the Biophere.
I don't want to help with that.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 12:17 AM

Threats

El Vizcaíno Reserve is threatened and there is a great risk that in the near future it will fail to protect and maintain its biodiversity. The main threats include agriculture, overuse of groundwater reserves, extensive grazing, illegal fishing, and legal and illegal hunting. Future, potential threats include a mega-tourism/infrastructure project called "Escalera Náutica" or Nautical Ladder, and mining activities.

Copyright © 2004 ParksWatch - All Rights Reserved

I didn't read where sportfishing is a problem.

[Edited on 9-24-2009 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 06:44 AM

When the Plan de Manejo was written up...Management Plan...there was really no sportfishing. I get the idea that the Reserve wants to get a handle on how many boats are using the area...and as mentioned collect a fee from them for park usage as a way to fund the Reserve e Management....perhaps this "threat" would come under thillegal fishing catagory.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Threats

El Vizcaíno Reserve is threatened and there is a great risk that in the near future it will fail to protect and maintain its biodiversity. The main threats include agriculture, overuse of groundwater reserves, extensive grazing, illegal fishing, and legal and illegal hunting. Future, potential threats include a mega-tourism/infrastructure project called "Escalera Náutica" or Nautical Ladder, and mining activities.

Copyright © 2004 ParksWatch - All Rights Reserved

I didn't read where sportfishing is a problem.

[Edited on 9-24-2009 by fishbuck]

Bring a fisherman I feel singled out and attacked by this permit process.

For example, where's the requirement for an agricultural permit?
a vaca permit?
water extraction permit?
mining permit?
hunting permit?

....Escalera Náutica?....A least that went away :cool:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 09:46 AM

[fees to be spent ] "I hope, be spent making improvements, catching poachers, clean-ups "
In your dreams. Mexicans - those who won't be paying the fee - are the biggest offenders. Plenty of hands out for the fees, but little enforcement of the laws re: poaching, encroachment within preserves (fishermen take their clients into Cabo Pulmo all the time - some get caught, some not, but they try and get away with it constantly); longlining, nets, turtle poaching, fishing over-limit, shooting dolphins, wasting bycatch, etc. Get real - you think UNESCO or INAH or PROFEPA collecting a fee from TOURISTS who are there for a week or two is going to impact all the illegal Mexican activity that runs amuck every day?
bajaponderosa
Junior Nomad

Mood: Living and Loving The Baja Way

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 10:42 AM
Permit

So you are saying that when I come down in Oct. to fish with my boat I will need a permit to fish in those waters? Also what is the website address for these so called permits.

Thanks
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 11:31 AM

She's saying that you will need the Biosphere permit for the boat, the boat permit, the individual biosphere bracelet for each person, a fishing license for everyone in the boat, not to mention the insurance for the car, boat and trailer, a visa for each person.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
THIS JUST IN...HOT OFF THE TELEPHONE...with the Reserve marisol....they had an emergency meeting today and I was able to voice some comments and pass on the comments made by interested parties. I also asked lots of questions and the result is that I have been advised that the personal permits are now "under revision" and are being legally investigated. We will be advised shortly when it is all sorted out and desicions have been made on who and who doesnt need a permit to embark on the ocean in the Reserve....so stay tuned. I am going to send a letter to La Paz outlining the concerns and issues with this policy in hopes of having an effect on the outcome. I mentioned that if permits were needed, they should be made easier to obtain on site.

I did get the green light for people who just want to paddle around in their kayak ...they dont need the permit...sounds like the issue is fishing....extracting a resource in the reserve...although you will need your bracelet for recreational activities.

ON the racial issue...these permits/laws are for everyone of every race and color...not just gringo tourists....mexicanos as well...so they arent discriminating.

Please let them know that the reason tourists drive 2 or more days to get to central Baja, spend the money to get there, risk the 'news reported' assasinations and kidnappings near the border, spend money with local Baja business people, wait for hours to cross back to the U.S., etc. etc. IS TO GET AWAY FROM ALL THE GOVERNMENT &%$#! and enjoy some time with Nature and enjoy what God has produced. THINGS we can't do so much in the USA anymore with the crowds of people.

They add all these 'taxes' on tourists, who have already spent so much to go there... it just makes it that much less attractive for the effort.

LESS GOVERNMENT = MORE FREEDOM & PROSPERITY for the people.

Go after whoever is violating laws, littering, overfishing... Don't punish everyone and don't cut your own livelyhoods!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 04:00 PM

God help me I agree with DK, in fact well said.:lol::lol:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 04:02 PM

Thank you... :yes::coolup:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 04:58 PM

This has got to be the dumbest idea I have heard, let's tax the people who have the least impact on the marine environment while letting commercial fishing interests get away with murder. They should get rid of PROFEPA and use the money for some real fisheries enforcement.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 05:20 PM

I sure hope someone gets it all figured out by the time I get down there end of Oct.
I plan on bringing my kayaks and fishing off them.
My friend is also bringing his boat. We have no problem paying a fee. But come on!!!!! My question is "To Who,What When,Where,Why and How---much
DAND

[Edited on 9-25-2009 by BajaDanD]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
This has got to be the dumbest idea I have heard, let's tax the people who have the least impact ....

The least impact, but the most money.

It seems that all of the recent gringo excitement at Asuncion has got someone's attention - and they're seeing $$ opportunities.

Nothing new here. Soon we'll be charged to fish from a float tube. And there'll be those who'll agree and will compare it to our private pay-to-play ponds stateside.

As far as DavidK's post. Yes, it makes sense, but has the usual political dogmatic lessons for us all.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 06:48 PM

wilderone....where did I say all that???

As I mentioned...as a result of all my questions and comments...this boat permit issue is now under revision...so I figure as long as it's in that phase....well...I imagine things will remain the same as always.

It seems that because we have the Biosphere Officer living here, we found out about this sooner than other areas.

If you fish with a guide...its' only a 46 peso permit...dont panic everybody.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 06:51 PM

Oh no, let's get some press down there :lol::lol::lol::lol:
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 06:52 PM

No panic here just wondering
There will be days we fish with a guide and without one whats it gonna cost me when i fish from my kayak
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 06:56 PM

dont know yet how they will decide on who does and doesnt need a permit...lets hope they take their time to decide eh!

I will pass on the info when I receive it. I am also preparing a letter along with many of these comments on the thread to the jefes of the Reserve. Perhaps some of you may want to submit your own letters as well.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 07:17 PM

Thank you Shari... It will do the most good to everyone (and the sealife) if they concentrate their efforts on the big time users of the land and sea and not the minority of tourist campers and sports-fishermen.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2009 at 08:26 PM

Commercial fishing practices, indiscriminate use of long lines and destructive drift gill nets severely damage pelagic fish and huka divers severely damage reef fish populations. These two practices are the primary causes of destruction of marine populations.

The region of Bahia Magdelena has been severely damaged by these destructive practices.

All the while it is publicly acknowledged that these destructive fishing practices are bad for the economy of BCS.

In the regions of El Vizcaino Biosphere, whales are in particular at risk of being caught in long lines and drift nets which create a gauntlet of obstacles catching all marine life passing through these dynamic coastal waters.

"Annually approximately 1500 Humpback Whales, highly endangered Blue Whales and 8000 Gray Whales travel down a coastal corridor (often called the H20 highway) from Alaska to Mexico. Their journey is peaceful as they move southward to warmer waters. That all changes as they enter Mexico, a country that has proclaimed itself the 'world’s largest whale sanctuary'. Here they have to navigate through a gauntlet of hundreds of gillnets placed along the Baja and mainland coastline directly in their path."

Mexico, under Fox, declared the entire region of Baja to be a Whale sanctuary. Hukas have been designated illegal for fishing under NOM-64, and large gill nets are designated illegal as well, on August 15th of 2009 large drift gillnets were banned from Mexico’s waters.

However, Conapesca has effectively ignored the law by issuing permits to allow air compressors, circumventing the NOM-64 law.

Consejo Estatal de Pesca y Acuacultura de Baja California Sur has effectively ignored agreements on bans of gill drift nets, saying not enough evidence exists and more scientific research should be done.

UNESCO Man and the Biosphere designation is significant to acknowledge the bio-diversity of targeted regions, however this designation has no implicit affect on conservation nor does the designation command new authority, sovereignty or power.

Due to the lack of enforcement, citizen run organizations have begun self-funded policing, such as Plataforma and Seawatch along with Conanp, who have stepped up to help enforce Mexican fisheries laws. Citizen run organizations are stepping up to inspect fishing boats, enforce the laws, identify offenders and publish this information which is having an affect.

[Edited on 9-25-2009 by gnukid]
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.