Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mexico is outraged over influx of its own citizens
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 06:53 AM

It will settle down. The House came out Tuesday with an Immigration bill.
The goal is to pass it in the coming year, they're up to about 100 co-sponsors and clicking right along. The high notes facilitate ways to legalize , through visa or citizenship most of the people already here and make entry less onerous.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
I don't think Mexico is outraged over immigrants returning home, its the oligarchs are outraged. Those in power are threatened and they should be because good people are coming home. These good people now have ideals that they may not have had before. They see things in a different way now. They are speaking about their experiences with their family and community and changes will happen. They will put long overdue pressure on the government and make them responsible for their actions. The oligarchs are scared sh*tless. That is good. I am not outraged that Mexicans are coming back home. I am happy about it. Will things be more difficult? Probably. In the long run our sacrifices will be worth it.

Great post. For many years I have been saying Mexico could progress more rapidly if the educated, activist Mexicans- who have migrated to the USA, were to return home for a while and help move the process forward.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 02:14 PM

Have to ask just how many educated, activist Mexicans in the US are illegal? Legal status really dampens the incentive to be heading back South, especially when the economy is in the dumper on both side of the border. If anything, there are probably far more educated activist Canadians in the US, and in that demographic, far more are illegal.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I have been a long time advocate of open borders for North America. Gee. If over two dozen countries in Europe can do it....

Unfortunately, since 9/11, Washington has been able to conflate the terror war with what has now become a hot war for jobs in this recessionary time.
So more and bigger walls. Passport requirements. Thorough searches.

Who really believes that Osama Bin Laden will be hiding in the trunk of a car coming across the border?

You simplify a lot of very complex issues. To compare European countries that formed the EU to the US, Canada and especially Mexico is funny. They did it out of ecomonic nessessity more than anything else. Far the most part there was not the huge difference in living standards as there are with the countries to our south. To open our borders like between our states would take years and years of coordinating between governments, unions, states, professional organizations etc. Just think of the problems now trying to get a Mexican truck to be able to drive more than 20 miles in the US. Take every US federal agency and look at what laws would need to be modified to work with an open border program. If they can't make NAFTA work as envisioned how would this work?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 02:16 PM

I never claimed there would not be complexities and issues to resolve. As for the EU, I think you gloss over the idea of disparate living standards. Do you really think countries such as France, Italy or Germany had comparable living standards to such countries as Romania, Bulgaria or Slovakia? There are 27 countries speaking 23 different languages. One thing similar to our north American situation was that what Rumsfeld referred to as old Europe relied heavily on workers from the East. So, there were people of many nationalities constantly living in western Europe, including Turks and North Africans.

Anyway, the way our economy has been "developing" over the past few decades, as wealth distribution becomes more skewed, it may not be too long before Mexico has a more vibrant middle class than does the US.
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 02:44 PM

This is an outrage!!! Mexicans in Mexico. What are those idiots up in Campo and the San Diego minute men going to do if there is no one trying to get across the border anymore?
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 03:00 PM

There's nothing to worry about. Arizona is sure to go completely and utterly bankrupt without the illegal immigrant labor and will beg for the workers to sneak back in. However, if Arizona doesn't go bankrupt, then the rest of the nation might want to take note. It's funny how something people say is impossible isn't so impossible if we decide to take action. It is not impossible to stem the flow of illegal immigrants. There are so many things that people say are impossible or inevitable that really are not.
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 03:57 PM

Yea who is going to pick those dammed cucumbers and melons this summer in that 116 degree heat? Oh yea, let me guess welfare to work. Heres a dandy Idea all those drug addicted crack addicted alcoholic homeless in downtown San Diego, LA and Vegas well sprinkle in the Phoenix/ Tucson crowd and crisis averted.
I love it when we Americans get fresh salad all summer long.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
There are so many things that people say are impossible or inevitable that really are not.

Such as, unemployed, hungry Americans doing those jobs. Give them a living wage and they'll do it.
Personally, I don't care if a head of lettuce costs six bucks. The price will cut down on waste.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 04:23 PM

There are two significant reasons that fuel the anti-immigrant sentiment in this country. The most prominent one these days involves the US economy and the high unemployment rate. The second is actually rooted in the fact that it just got too expensive to live in California. For half a century or more, the Mexican immigrants concentrated in the Southwest. But the high cost of living, especially in California resulted in a migration to the East and North. All of a sudden, folks in Dubuque and Nashville were seeing these strange people showing up in numbers. It made them feel uncomfortable. All along, the Southwest was friendly territory to the Mexican, inasmuch as a great deal of that territory was once part of Mexico. The culture of the US Southwest was infused with Mexican culture.

I suppose that if the US economy makes a comeback, and jobs get created, the animus toward Mexicans will abate. However, I am not optimistic. US employers have made do with less staff working harder and longer. There is little incentive for US companies to hire, as they are making greater profit due to lower overhead. It is, sadly, just another step in our inexorable journey to third world status.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
There are so many things that people say are impossible or inevitable that really are not.

Such as, unemployed, hungry Americans doing those jobs. Give them a living wage and they'll do it.
Personally, I don't care if a head of lettuce costs six bucks. The price will cut down on waste.

I agree. I would rather see $4.00 heads of lettuce and $70.00 pairs of jeans in conjunction with lower rents and house payments. Honest work has become so devalued that it's hard to see how we haven't become completely morally as well as fiscally bankrupt. I know that there will be some people here who will quote Economics 101 by stating that it is better to pay the Chinese workers 25 cents an hour even if it means that some will go unemployed or underemployed here. We have tried the WalMart economy model, and it has not exactly been a resounding success.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 04:52 PM

It has been for China!
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
It has been for China!

'Bigger the boom, bigger the bust: China is no exception to that rule'
Richard Duncan: http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_bigger-the-boom-bigger-...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
morally as well as fiscally bankrupt

What seperates that from the current situation? Where is the hope and why? We are reliving the Fall of Rome.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 05:49 PM

For the US, it's more like Sparta.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.