BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: OFF ROAD RACING POLL for all Nomads
I am/was a racer, or on a pit team. --- 28 (29.47%)
Love the sport to watch. --- 18 (18.95%)
Not big fan, but appreciate benefits. --- 11 (11.58%)
Take it or leave it (neutral). --- 15 (15.79%)
I would prefer it not to happen. --- 9 (9.47%)
It is a criminal act against Nature! --- 14 (14.74%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: OFF ROAD RACING POLL for all Nomads
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 05:02 PM

Newsflash: It's a desert... trees are nut clearcut, DDT isn't sprayed...

Try and stay on topic goat.

Seriously, debate what is involved with desert racing... a place most people avoid and is so hardy and duarble, that mans' markings in the dirt are easily removed by winds and flash floods.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 05:04 PM

WHY IN THE HE.. do you have to make this your political statement. DK

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It is the nature of man to push the limits of his abilities... Racing is a natural thing... be it on foot, in water, on a horse, or motor bike or vehicle.

Since government to some is a tool to take away freedom and natural activity as a form of control, it is not surprising to hear that some expect (or hope) that 'government' will stop the tradition of off road racing that began in Baja California 42 years ago.

Thanks for your words TW, I read them just now and I don't need to add my comments about the effects of free enterprise that is spurred by this or other types of events in Baja. You said exactly what I would have said.

I have been going to Baja for of road racing events as a spectator, pit support member and once as a co-driver since 1973... and the events have an overwhelming positive financial impact.

Sure, it is crowded and difficult to drive for a day or two... Sure there is pre-running for a few weeks before the race (pre-runners spend money too)... Sure the roads are chewed up after a race uses them... LIFE IS ROUGH. Jobs for locals, food on the table, clothes for their kids, should mean more than the inconvenience to some of you tourists or ex-pats.

Thanks Paulclark and Ralph for your observations about Mexican run off road racing in BCS.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 05:08 PM

Off road desert racing is fun, dangerous,expensive, and tears up some of the desert. But we can disgust it without bringing in other issues like "free enterprise" . it is emotional enough for a lot of people.

would I sign up again.... geeze

[Edited on 11-25-2009 by rts551]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 05:24 PM

Umm, its my thread and 'politics' was brought up by others before me... so I responded. Like it or not, there are liberals who hate people with freedom and people having fun... they want to add a tax to it or just ban it.

I am for freedom. :biggrin:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 05:30 PM

Seemed to me that last summer's Loreto race was a largely Mexican affair. Booths set up at the Malecon sold hats and shirts, many spectators. I don't know the economic benefits but they probably surpassed a whole season of cruise ship stops at Loreto. I know of one influential local man, Arturo Sussarey, who is perhaps better known for his interest in racing that his sportfishing fleet.

But they do tear up the roads. And unscheduled pre-racing on well used public roads that link villages like San Javier to Loreto appears dangerous to me; if the government were to intervene one could easily argue that they were acting for the safety of the people, and not because of some inherent inclination of government to take away freedom or stop the "natural activity" of racing expensive custom off-road machines.:lol:

And don't overlook free enterprise and the good old private sector, and private property rights. I've seen a lot of roads closed to ALL public passage in the Loreto area lately by private landowners.

I think Jesse's right, times are changing....
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 05:55 PM

Choyeros -- long time residents of BCS - usually Mexican
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:07 PM

Quote:

Seriously, debate what is involved with desert racing... a place most people avoid and is so hardy and duarble, that mans' markings in the dirt are easily removed by winds and flash floods.

Not a statement for or against racing, but you really believe that the desert heals easily???

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:12 PM

Yes, having enjoyed desert camping, traveling, racing since the 1960's... I can!

The whoops were so bad after a Score race in one canyon, even I was unhappy they used it... The next time I drove Parral, the whoops were gone. I was amazed how clean the surface was made by Nature! Her power is amazing!

[Edited on 11-25-2009 by David K]

Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:15 PM

The desert takes a long time to heal -- look at the King's Road pictures, but the races are on existing roads.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:15 PM

Healing the desert------

In wash bottoms the "healing" takes place when the flashflood passes thru--------

------almost everywhere else outside sand dunes, it takes 100's of years-----witness the tracks of Patton's tank's in the Mojave Desert laid down in the early '40's, still highly visible today.

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Umm, its my thread and 'politics' was brought up by others before me... so I responded. Like it or not, there are liberals who hate people with freedom and people having fun... they want to add a tax to it or just ban it.

I am for freedom.

your pronouncements are so outlandish that you do manage to provide amusement. thanks for the chuckle, dk -- but it is a bit scary that you believe yourself.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Healing the desert------

In wash bottoms the "healing" takes place when the flashflood passes thru--------

------almost everywhere else outside sand dunes, it takes 100's of years-----witness the tracks of Patton's tank's in the Mojave Desert laid down in the early '40's, still highly visible today.

Barry

I remember a time in the USA when we believed the desert was a great big waste land that could not be destroyed----glad those times are past.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:46 PM

This is not for or against racing. Its simple economics. Some people still think that filling a few hundred motel rooms in a few places in Baja, eating tacos and drinking beer is a huge boost on our economy. Guess what? its not. Racing has its days counted in Baja, i see it every year in newspaper articles about people complaining about such little benefit for so many problems.

Like i said, enjoy it while it last.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:51 PM

Another thing to consider, bajanomad poll shows 50% of respondants are either racers and or love the sport. And look at the level of i wouldn't even call it opposition, just people who think its not worth it. Do this same poll for the average Mexican, and your talking 90% who don't care, vs 10% who do. Its pretty clear to me.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:52 PM

Barry is correct... it is finding things like Patton's tank tracks, the Mojave Trail, old mines and Jesuit ruins that make the desert all the more enjoyable to us Desert Rats today!! I love seeing 'stuff' like the El Camino Real' go across the Baja desert... So Diane, you are correct that SOME parts of the desert hold onto the man-mads scars, while others like dunes and arroyos are wiped clean frequently. It is the man made scars that bring us out to find... and get us closer to Nature to enjoy the great outdoors! HURRAY!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Barry is correct... it is finding things like Patton's tank tracks, the Mojave Trail, old mines and Jesuit ruins that make the desert all the more enjoyable to us Desert Rats today!! I love seeing 'stuff' like the El Camino Real' go across the Baja desert... So Diane, you are correct that SOME parts of the desert hold onto the man-mads scars, while others like dunes and arroyos are wiped clean frequently. It is the man made scars that bring us out to find... and get us closer to Nature to enjoy the great outdoors! HURRAY!

So the man-made scaring of the desert is a good thing so more people go out and get closer to nature? :?:

Really?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 07:10 PM

Quote:

I am for freedom. :biggrin:

Your thread. OK from now one pls preclude your post with whom may post and with what demeanor they may post with
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 07:13 PM

Yep... really! Man is a natural part of this planet, afterall.

Do you take issue with jack rabbits or deer that make trails worn in the desert soil...?

It is what it is...

I do have problems with the locals who think the desert is their dump and leave piles of trash in the desert after their camping time. I suppose archeologists a couple hundred years from now will love that, however!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 07:15 PM

David. their tracks are no different than your tracks. they just take a different time to be erased
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 07:23 PM

Yes, you are correct!

My light tracks will be gone in the first wind... animal tracks are very deep and continue to be used, and never erased.

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.