Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Black Marlin in Bahia Asuncion
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:25 AM

a friend of mine who is a fishing and flying nut and can afford to do both as much as he wants just flew from LA to Mag Bay in his very big Piper twin (8 place) and landed at Constitucion since San Carlos is ditched.
the fishing was slow in his opinion - 1st time he went there, he also has a house at Punta Chivato so knows good fishing.
anyway i told him next time go to Shari and Juan's and get some fish!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:33 AM

I agree with BBoy.
The sushi does look like langosta.

On the food side:
Cooking marlin is somewhat of a challenge, but it tastes good if cooked very slowly to a medium-rare to medium stage. Can be steamed, poached or quick-seared on a cast iron griddle. Salt and pepper works just fine but I have used Louisiana-type seasonings as well as a saté seasoning, which is a Moroccan-style seasoning blend. A simple butter-lemon-caper sauce works well as a base for the fish.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:37 AM
No hijack here,totally on-topic

Well folks she asked for my opinion. Then posted the pics. What enables the mighty fisherman to land a fish he probably shouldn't. Ego?? I don't think it's ok no matter how tasty it is or how big it is. If you use common sense and that says "cut it loose" than that's what a good conscience does. :rolleyes:

Excuses, excuses, Americans never sieze to amaze me.
That DK supports the promotion of taking black marlin is nothing new. He supports everythang we throw down there. He's a proud American doing what overzealous weekend tourist do, take take take. I wonder how many times wonder boy or rather "Mr. Promotion" has broken laws in Baja that he somehow considers himself immune to. Now be honest because you must reply!:lol:

Solution:
Republicans should not be allowed to fish in Baja.:light::lol:

btw Diane, not slamming you for your opinion just your choice of content.

Pescador IS spot on. We don't differ much in our mindset. You don't see him posting photos of his buddies or others with dead billfish though because it might inadvertantly promote or say the wrong thing ..

Oh and I disagree with the cultural crap. Opportunists will ALWAYS take what they want. Mexican or American, does that matter. I also don't buy the ignorance thing either. Who doesn't know turtles are protected (except Mark & Olivia) or abalone or lobster. One day marlin might be, they should be.

I feel kind of ashamed sometimes that our northern brothers and sister don't exhibit control when they know better. In my book there is no excuse.

So excuse excuse excuse away!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:40 AM

Castaway$: Could not have worded it any better myself.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:46 AM

Spoken like a true visitor!!!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Well folks she asked for my opinion. Then posted the pics. What enables the mighty fisherman to land a fish he probably shouldn't. Ego?? I don't think it's ok no matter how tasty it is or how big it is. If you use common sense and that says "cut it loose" than that's what a good conscience does. :rolleyes:

Excuses, excuses, Americans never sieze to amaze me.
That DK supports the promotion of taking black marlin is nothing new. He supports everythang we throw down there. He's a proud American doing what overzealous weekend tourist do, take take take. I wonder how many times wonder boy or rather "Mr. Promotion" has broken laws in Baja that he somehow considers himself immune to. Now be honest because you must reply!:lol:

Solution:
Republicans should not be allowed to fish in Baja.:light::lol:

Pescador IS spot on. We don't differ much in our mindset. You don't see him posting photos of his buddies or others with dead billfish though because it might inadvertantly promote or say the wrong thing ..

Oh and I disagree with the cultural crap. Opportunists will ALWAYS take what they want. Mexican or American, does that matter. I also don't buy the ignorance thing either. Who doesn't know turtles are protected (except Mark & Olivia) or abalone or lobster. One day marlin might be, they should be.

I feel kind of ashamed sometimes that our northern brothers and sister don't exhibit control when they know better. In my book there is no excuse.

I agree with your points 100%. I have to ask though, you just recently talked of taking 20+# lobsters. Seems not to be consistent.:?::?::?:

Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:53 AM

Sharks, please don't pretend to know me or to change my words with yours... I do NOT support the 'promotion' of taking black marlin... I support the PHOTOS posted on Baja Nomad showing something that has happened... Do you really think that if no photos were taken of a marlin caught (or of a rock wall), it means that those things don't exist? What does it promote...? NOTHING... It shows something in history for others to learn from. Some will see good, some will not. The important thing is making it available. Harassing the photographer will only prevent future phiotos from being posted, not prevent the catching of marlin.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:54 AM

Just to be clear you are referring to who as a true visitor?

Live Indubiously!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:57 AM

Spoken like a true God! (after the edit)

Diane can speak for herself David. Look at her daily post count. Frankly I think people should censor themselves sometimes......David.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

And I offer no excuses for the reasons I chose to post this. So now I will leave the discussion----I see no reason to continue.

The only thing for which I am sorry is that it upset you.

[Edited on 12-4-2009 by DianaT]

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
Just to be clear you are referring to who as a true visitor?

That would be you, unless you don't visit and fish.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 11:01 AM

Diane, you are not the one making excuses.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 11:12 AM

OK Sharks,
What fish and other goodies do you serve at the restaurant ?
Only farm raised ?
Maybe some of those endangered NW Salmon ??
Come on, fess up.
Aren't you concerned about Salmon and Halibut too ?
Is the billfish your only "cause" ?

Hmmm lets see;
Does that Dodge burn fuel into greenhouse gases ?
Do you sent unrecyclables to the landfill ?
Do you recycle ?
Where does your sewage sludge end up ?
How much food do you waste at the restaurant ?
Don't you make enough money to leave no footprint ?
How many sand fleas have you killed while spinning doughnuts in the sand ?
How can you live with yourself ?? :lol:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 11:14 AM

OMG, I bet you serve that endangered fish to "visitors" too !! :lol:

Sorry Sharks,

I DO love ya but I can't help myself.

[Edited on 12-4-2009 by Diver]
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 11:34 AM

looks like a black marlin in the pictures. looks pretty small and that those are paisanos holding up the fish. so i can assume that these clientes weren't norteamericanos?

black marlin is absolutely excellent eating, white meat can be cut right off the fish and served as sashimi or cooked over mesquite, needs nothing added great flavor one of the best tasting fish that swims. striped marlin is the crappy tasting one.

how many of us fishermen have killed a bill fish?

I have (many years ago), one and for my own reasons I will never do it again.

I have a sport fishing business too so this personal philosophical decision weighed heavily on our policies from the beginning.

At first I allowed each client to make the decision as to whether or not to kill a caught billfish, but we always strongly recommended catch and release. A few years ago we decided to make killing bill fish against our company policy. Now I am phasing in a no removal from the water policy.

But that's us and we can pick and choose clientes this way. The panguero doesn't have the same control of who he's taking out. Most Mexicanos will kill a billfish if given the chance. You can check out any local tournament that is run by nationals and if billfish are in the area, you'll see a representative number of them returning on the boats.

I think at this point what we all can do is continue to discuss and set good examples. We should also continually explain our actions and the motives behind them to our local Mexicano friends and family and community. with these discussions and the background knowledge they already posses they will make the right decisions.

castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 12:17 PM

Sharks, It is true I am a visitor from Oregon and if I am not mistaken Newport is in Oregon also. I guess I don't get your point, whether I fish in Oregon or Baja my philosophy is the same, is yours?
I respect your passion for billfish and I enjoy a stimulated debate however I don't intend to engage in your personal Jihad against sport fisherman who don't see the world as you.
There is always two sides to every debate and both sides usually have valid points.
I hear what you are saying about conservation of the species and I agree for the most part, do you understand my opinion with respect to the root cause that is decimating the billfish and so many other species? It's not sportfishing or selective harvest by sport fisherman.

Live Indubiously!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 12:59 PM

It may appear that I do not respect certain opinions. This is true when the debate becomes mudslinging. Guilty here. Don't you think that in this circumstance that opponents as well as proponents should be heard regardless of religion, politics or belief.

I have been trying to appeal to the few(but maybe many more) here who will come in contact with or exposure to billfish. There seems to be no shortage of avid fisherpeople.

Many studies show the bad situation billfish are in. Yes, I am truly aware that most of the problem lies with the commercials with indescriminate catches and methods.

Diver, it's a real struggle to be proactive and serve seafood I admit. Hell, when we got in this biz 13 years ago the ocean was a different place. I do try. For example; up until this last summer and for 3 years I did not serve salmon and it's one of my specialties. Guess what! This year the salmon have very good to excellent numbers in the NW. Same with crab. We feel fortunate.

I haven't killed or served a shark in 23 years and I adjust my menu accordingly. I understand why you ask.

Now back to marlin. My whole gist was centered on a the persons' mindset, and as this thread testifies, there are many feelings and opinions that strike a nerve. This subject apparently has more scope than I imagined.

Apolgies to those I slammed. Wish I could simmer down and not post off the cuff so hard. It's not so much fun nut antagonism is part of what fuels dialogue and knowledge.

Thank you Pam for the words I couldn't muster.

[Edited on 12-4-2009 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
OMG, I bet you serve that endangered fish to "visitors" too !! :lol:

Sorry Sharks,

I DO love ya but I can't help myself.

:lol: Allrighty then..... if'n you ever DO make it to Newport. Come on in, we don't bite(hard). You might learn something new.:wow:

I have some special seafood stashed away for such an occasion!;D

sorry, I can't either.:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 01:57 PM

Thank you for a well thought out post Pam! I applaud you and the other outfitters that now have a no kill policy. I also killed one billfish long ago. As I watched the brilliant colors of a lit up 100lb sailfish fade into death, I made up my mind to never intentionally kill another billfish. It was P.V., 1991. The panga operator, Carlos, said fishing had been slow. That him returning to the marina with a nice sailfish would insure many charters in the near future and that the meat would not be wasted. I have never killed another billfish, and actually never caught another as a target species since. In another person's country, we can only lead by example, and you are setting a very good one. We all should know that commercial rape is the real problem, not the microscopic sport take. Just try to remember that every fish counts!!
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 02:23 PM

It would be interesting to see this thread on "Bloodydecks" and how it would be responded to by that crowd!
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.