Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Four Wheel Pop Up Campers
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman
The ice box sucks. I ripped mine out and turned it into a pantry for dry food storage, there is a lot of room in that space. Best thing I ever did.

If you already have a fridge, that is the way to go. I'm still looking at putting an Engle or ARB fridge in mine, which also means solar. I've seen Engle's mounted in Grandby's in the front between the end of the counter and the front camper window, it's almost a perfect fit.

Kind of what I thought in regards to the icebox. I called the company last week and got the inside measurements for the hallway. My fridge freeze will slide in perfectly and butt up to the front of the camper. I'm thinking that with it in that location, it will be out of the way of daily life inside. Having an extra three way fridge is always a bounus. I would still like one as a back up or use it as just a fridge and dedicate the F.F. to just a freezer.

DERN
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Stimbo,

Do you know the weight of your camper loaded? Nice photo!

Ken

Thanks Ken. My 15 year old daughter is at the wheel with our golden retriever riding shotgun.

As I recall, this camper weighs in at 1200 lbs. I did a retrofit for water storage. I can carry 30 gallons now. It's easy to get more water in Mexico.... and cheap. It has an external shower and water heater, but we tend to throw solar showers on the hood, let them bake for awhile, then suspend them from the Yakima racks for shower time. jim
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 12:48 PM
Dr. Goat

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by DERN
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
ext. shower,

Look carefully before you buy. Some of them don't have an inside shower, only outside.

Gotcha on that one. Leaning towards lots of baby wipes and a solar shower.

DERN

you don't need an inside shower camping in the desert by the sea. use solar shower bags in the outdoors: one bag of seawater for soaping up, one half bag of fresh water for rinsing.

if you reaally want a kitchen and inside bed, then check out offroad-capable teardrop trailers -- look like more practical than pop-up campers (but what do i know? i pitch a tent or sleep under stars).

That was just a silly comment directed towards Dennis. I've been in the ocean all my life so to speak. I feel my cleanest when I have a huge layer of salt water crusties on me. I can go weeks like that. Camp suds are also my best friend. Good salt water bath with the suds and then a quick fresh water rinse. What else does a guy need?

Been there done that on the whole sleeping under the stars thing. I love it. You'd just have to witness what a huge involved production it is for me for us to just go and camp away from our normal haunts.

A camping trailer is out of the question. As I said in a previous post, the trailer deal is for supplies and toys only. You can't beat the fact that when you have an F350, a 700-800 lb pop-up in the bed is the way to go. Get to your spot, pop the top, throw out the astro turf, set up the simple outside kitchen(weather permiting), couple chairs and your good to go. We're talking a whole 20 minutes- ish time involved for set up and take down.

DERN
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Now to the whole fridge deal. You have an icebox? Doesn't the block slop around while driving on extreme roads? How cold does it keep your food in the heat of the summer? I have a Fridge Freeze that I would like to wire into my solar camper set-up as well as have the three way fridge. What are the +/- to the ice box?

DERN

The icebox works for me. I buy crushed ice and cover the more important perishables both above and below. In the summer I get 1-2 days out of it, in the winter 3-4 days. I had a 3 way fridge in the old cabover and it required frequent maintenance. In addition, my camper is small and I don't want some of the storage taken up with accessories.

Unlike many, I don't like tinkering with the camper (adding here and adjusting there). I just got something basic with few parts that can go wrong. Fans, heaters - all that is superfluous at this time. The screen door is a must, though.

BTW, if you buy them at the shows they give you some sort of discount. I can't remember any more. But I think I saved about $1000 by doing that.

Paulina is not going to be happy climbing up to that door. I have that step thing exactly like sunman's and it really helps. One time at Asuncion I was feeling a bit tipsy when I stepped out and put a gash in my left ankle that turned purple and later a putrid yellow green color. That was before the step.

People often ask about the door height but it has had no effect on us whatsoever. The reason is that you naturally bent over as you step down or climb in. We climb into our camper, not walk in.

I am amazed at the amount of stuff on sunman's roof. Not that I couldn't lift them (:cool:) but that those plywood panels can support that weight, especially in the wind. But the people at 4 Wheel claim that it's doable.

Prior to purchasing I was warned about the difficulty of lifting that roof but have never experienced that. We take 10 minute breaks on the highway and lift the roof for a snack of tea and bodillas.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 02:30 PM

I think that Dern was digging on the point breaks in the baja photos as well as checking out the campers!;)

I have a feeling that Dern is on a mission with this one.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 03:27 PM

I bought the Shell Model back in 1998, and have made 8 trips to Baja with it since then and will be leaving next Tuesday for another one. The Shell Model is much cheaper and you can set it up the way you want it. Mine is a Ranger size because I first put it on a Dodge Durango. It outlasted the truck. Now it is on a Ram 2500, but the truck doesn't know it. In my opinion it is a great rig for Baja, not without some problems, but much better for pounding around in than any other camper I know.

The Alaskans are way heavy and way pricey.
Rich
jahImpala3
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 03:44 PM

Check this link out. It's a pick-up with a utility bed and pop-up camper. This is eventually the set up I want to make for traveling in Baja and other places. The utility bed gives you quite a bit of extra storage.

http://www.earthroamer.com/tab_aboutus/about_history.html
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 04:56 PM

Not a quick set up, but here's a pretty bonus rig with hardcore offroad capability

Steve's Bajataco

No worries
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 05:26 PM

I have a 1991 Hallmark 8.5 that we bought in 93. A little longer, wider and more water, bigger frig. and range than a 4 wheel. Nice when you have 3 people in it. Great for 1 guy hunting, with all the stuff you bring. I also have the ARB freezer, and love it, but you need 150 watts of panels, and batteries, to keep it going. More stuff to haul in the little camper. We could never find a pop up in Ca., in 1993. We went to Denver. Drove all night, got the paper on Saturday and looked at the adds at a Dennys in the morning. There were 20 used pop ups for sale. Bought this camper and took 2 weeks driving back in September, a great time to be in the Rockies, great trip for the family.
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 06:47 PM
Thanks

Sunman, Elgatoloco, Surferjim,

Thanks for all the input. I have come to the conclusion that this is the camper for me. I just have to weigh my options as to what is an absolut must. I can live without most of the foofy options or do it myself. Silly things like awnings, flood lights, steps , battery system and the like I can deal with in the future.

BTW, nice pics of the secret surf spots.:saint:

DERN

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by DERN]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
We added a back porch/sun deck/access elevator to ours so it's easy to get in and out.

Mateo,

I would like to have one of those handy dandy elevators too. Maybe you can work your magic on him...

Love to your favorite Chef,

P<*)))>{

I can set you up! Just let me know. :dudette:

My favorite Chef says "Right back at ya!" :yes:

Go Dern Go!! :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

I have a feeling that Dern is on a mission with this one.

P<*)))>{

Dern right! ;D
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 09:15 PM
Sunman

Sunman

Hey, I noticed in your photos that you have a louvered passenger side window. Is that standard? I can't find the option on the F.W. website. How does it hold up in all the off road conditions? We have a few of those on our trailer in Bahia that always stays in its little spot and they constantly have issues in regards to wind/dirt coming in, as well as the cranks being cranky. Seems to me that a slider would be more practical. Has that become an issue for you?

DERN
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Sunman

Hey, I noticed in your photos that you have a louvered passenger side window. Is that standard? I can't find the option on the F.W. website. How does it hold up in all the off road conditions? We have a few of those on our trailer in Bahia that always stays in its little spot and they constantly have issues in regards to wind/dirt coming in, as well as the cranks being cranky. Seems to me that a slider would be more practical. Has that become an issue for you?

DERN

Dern,
Yes the louvered windows are standard. They actually used to use sliders on the older models, I'm not sure why they changed. No issues with them on my end, if there were any i'm sure i wouild have heard about it on the WTW forum. The handle is a round twist knob and when it's closed it stays closed.

Agree the slider seems more practical. Maybe they had issues with dust building up and they were hard to open?? They must have changed the design for a reason.
offshore_day

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 10:45 PM

Have had a Grandby for 13 yrs, it is great for Baja. It may be spartan compared to others but is very functional and lighter than other brands. I luckily got mine used but it was fully loaded, dual roof vent (one with power), 3 way refer, screen door, closet with vanity, 2nd cabinet, heater (don't really need this). I put on the awning, and moved the auxiiary battery inside the under seat storage for maintenance and access. For some reason they put the battery in the truck bed in front of the wheel well making it impossible to get at without removing the camper. My awning has taken quite a bit of abuse over the years and when it finally breaks, will probably rig up something like the one in pictures shown previously in this post. Solar hookup and wiring to truck electrical is easy, find a "hot" wire that is active when the motor is running to charge the aux battery and to run the 12V function on the 3 way refer. But make sure you put an isolator switch in to prevent the aux battery from draining the truck battery in case of a short. For me, a 3 way refer, stove and screen door are the only real essentials. The best thing I did was get a custom rear bumper rack made that holds 2 gas cans, 4 water cans and my small gas grill. Outdoor shower, look at Paha-que tents, very sturdy and easy setup and use sunshower or even Zodi heater if you wish. I originally had it on a F150, but felt I was maxing it out when loaded down with gear and extra water for prolonged trips to remote areas. Have just recently put it on a F250, but haven't been out with it yet. Good luck and happy trails.

bajasunrise.jpg - 34kB
offshore_day

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 10:48 PM

you also should check these:

https://www.allterraincampers.com/home.html
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 1-13-2010 at 03:33 AM
4X4 Pop up For Sale

Dern, I have an older model Grandby for sale. If your interested? I have 2 and need to sell one.

4x4 pop post 2.jpg - 34kB
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-13-2010 at 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
Hola Dern, Check out the Alaskan Camper website. These things are the most bullet - proof pop ups I've come across. You can even car top an aluminum boat on them if you get one with the heavy duty hydraulic jacks inside. By the way, we're neighbors - I live in Santa Margarita!!!

Alaskan Camper, always wanted one of these..

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by wessongroup]

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2010 at 02:43 PM

my pop up input-

4 wheels:
pros:
1. Windows surrounding the bed make it feel like you're sleeping outside. We had 12 volt fans on each side of the bed for hot summer nights.
2. Fewer gadgets=fewer things to break.
3. That silly foam mattress on a piece of plywood was the most comfortable bed we've ever had!

cons:
1. Fewer gadgets= fewer creature comforts (at least on the 1988 Gradby we had). I was happy to have a porta-potty and fridge back then.)
2. The straps for the roll up windows wicked rain water and the bed would get wet.

The 2 of us could lift the top with 3 boards on top but the kayaks always had to come off first. I made a screen that velcroed on to the back door frame- you've gotta have a screen on the back.

Skamper pop up-

A little heavier (aluminum frame rather than the wood frame of the 4 wheel). Hand crank mechanism was much easier to lift the top than the manual 4 wheel Hernia mechanism.

Desginated potty closet and black/grey water systems.

Fewer windows around the bed but better system so windows didn't leak.

We could leave the Skamper popped-up in most storm conditions, but had to secure the frame of the 4 wheel to leave it up in high winds.

We enjoyed both pop ups and I'd say we like the Skamper better and used it til it fell apart- the frame kept cracking after offroad (gentle) driving.

We got tired of moving everything off the floor of the pop ups campers and moved on to a Lance lite which we still have. Nice to have a potty and indoor/outdoor shower.

It sounds like a simple one like a 4 wheel might be you're best bet Dern. I don't have a picture of our old one handy, but here's one of our Skamper.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-13-2010 at 03:12 PM

All you folks have setup's that are to die for in my book.. really nice rigs

Used a VW bus, Coleman ice chest, Coleman stove, took the seats out and put in a piece of plywood and a queen mattress .... everything was under neath the bed.. it worked well, but never approached what you guys are using today...

Again, really nice setup's .... really eating my heart out..

Glad you are out there doing it NOW!!

Thanks for sharing all the information and pictures.. man with these things you can get just about anywhere in comfort .....

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.