Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: New Immigration Rules?
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 04:26 PM

Bajalinda,
I have gone through the INM site over and over. I get through a number of pages but have not found a form for RENEWING an FM2. I believe I have to get to the inmigrante page and have been there but none of the questions seem to have anything to do with renewing. Or is it just my Spanish? We're going in to the Loreto office in 2 weeks and would love to show up with the right form like you did. Did you fill it out online and then print it? I haven't seen any forms that I could print so far either.
I feel pretty stupid, but try to be a fast learner. (Though I've been working diligently on my Spanish for years and it is slow going)
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 04:47 PM

As usual, it's all about which way the wind is blowing. Just don't understand why Mexico is not more welcoming of US and Canadian citizens, because with very few exceptions, they bring needed dinero into the country.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 07:49 PM

morgaine,
well, I'd been there before, guess I just didn't trust my instincts. Thanks for the heads up. I filled it out and printed it. We shall see. Vamos a ver. I find that the more I worry ahead of time, the less there is to worry about.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 08:46 AM

We had an info meeting regarding the new changes with Alonso Lopez Lerma who is an agent from La Paz but does paperwork for people all over the state. The new changes are creating havoc and making it very difficult for people to renew their fm2&3's...before they could just pay their agent to do it. There is alot of confusion and lawyers, agents etc. are against the changes.
I asked if things might change for the better sometime soon...if this was a temporary situation and was told that...yes, things would probably take a turn for the better when Obama signed an immigration bill...hmmm...payback? sounds like the mexican government is applying pressures of it's own.

Alonso said agents can still assist people filling out the forms that are in spanish but yes you have to go personally to immigration for fingerprinting. So word to the wise...check your FM2&3's to see when they expire and plan a trip down a month before that so you can get it done on time...dont leave it till the last minute.
His email is alonsobaja@prodigy.net.mx if you have any questions.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 08:56 AM

Yes, it was so much easier when we just called Alonso!

But, very soon we are going to hit the Guerrero Negro office with all they told us they wanted using all the old forms with the new pictures---with the white background, and with all the new forms that the La Paz office told people they needed.

Morgaine7 Thanks for the link to the new form and the tips

This should be fun----:biggrin:

[Edited on 5-16-2010 by DianaT]

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 10:34 AM

As most of you already know, we will just have to deal with this as our documents expire, but expect more changes and confusion. That part is NOT new!

Each regional jurisdiction will have their own rules and requirements. Then they will change. Then they will be applied according the the individual agent's interpretation and mood of the day. (Nor is this part new!):no::yawn:

Bronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 12:02 PM
New info of FM renewal

May 15-2010

New changes at Mexican Immigration office in Ensenada BC , starting
May 01-2010 includes :

1- Old booklet will be replace to an alike driver license that will
Include a photo I.D.

2- Photos will have to be submit at time of filing renewal petition

3- Photos should be taken only at authorized and accepted photo shop in Ensenada BC by Mexican Immigration office.

4- When Renewal petition has been authorized by Mexican Immigration office,
petitioner has to show in person to thumbprint and sign new card.

5- All information will be sent directly to main office in Mexico City to have a
better data base of foreigners in Mexico .

6- Ensenada Mexican Immigration office has increase their personnel ( officers)
to upgrade their system on foreigners living in BAJA

All these means that time will be an important factor in this procedure.

1- Time frame for us to guide you to take you to the photo shop to take I.D. photos
2- Time frame for us to guide you to thumbprint and sign new card

Remember there is certain hours for each procedure at Mexican Immigration office,
Monday to Friday only.

Please schedule your time wisely as we will do the same thing.
It is important to have a good communication between you and our office, to be
able to accomplish procedure.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronco
May 15-2010

3- Photos should be taken only at authorized and accepted photo shop in Ensenada BC by Mexican Immigration office.

Just for people using Guerrero Negro---photos can be taken at the San Martin pharmacy in town.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 01:08 PM

Bajawodd, Exactly!:yes: Sorta strange? Why would you make it hard for someone to come and spend money in your country?;D
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Why would you make it hard for someone to come and spend money in your country?;D

Although the FM3 process can seem a bit archaic, it's one of the simplest and cheapest residence permits of its type in the world, with the lowest requirements.

A non-resident buying a house in the USA or Canada is not allowed to live in it full time, period. Even if they are retired. Doesn't matter how much they pay (there are limited exceptions for those who want to start a business, although the paperwork - and costs - for those makes an FM-3 look like a library card application).

You would think the US and Canada would want people to "come and spend money in their country" but no, they don't. Same applies to most countries, not just western countries (for example, a visa similar to the FM3 for Malaysia requires a $3k monthly income plus assets). Most countries already have enough people, and don't want foreigners driving up house prices.

Rob

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 04:27 PM

Bob and Jane - sorry, haven't been online since yesterday, but Morgaine's info is exactly what I did. I have to add that I had the help of a Mexican friend and even with his help we had to start over 2 or 3 times before we finally got it right. Yes, you fill out the form online and then print it out.

I plan to do this myself without an agent. I used an agent the first couple of times that I renewed my FM-3 and then discovered that it really wasn't all that complicated and the whole procedure went more quickly when I did it myself - but I totally understand the convenience and the need to use an agent if you live far from an office.

My Spanish seems to have stalled out at a mediocre intermediate level, but I always start out speaking Spanish and if I really get stuck then ask to switch to English, am always super-polite and I have never had any problems with the agents at the La Paz office. Let's hope it continues that way!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Why would you make it hard for someone to come and spend money in your country?;D

Especially those of us that are trying to be here legally with the FM3/ FM2:?::?:

[Edited on 5-17-2010 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 11:58 AM

I started the FM3 renewal paperwork here in Loreto last Tuesday 11th..
1. Filled out the form from their computer at the Loreto IMN office counter.
2. Came back with photos, paid copies of the bank statment. copy of front page of the US Passport, original FM3 booklet.
3. Everything was accepted and put into a new manilla folder

I was told that my new FM3 "photo card" should be ready for pick-up in 10 working days.. :cool:

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
2. Came back with photos, paid copies of the bank statment. copy of front page of the US Passport, original FM3 booklet.

I was told that my new FM3 "photo card" should be ready for pick-up in 10 working days.. :cool:

They did not ask for a letter, utility bills and bank statements showing income??

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 12:05 PM

Mexican lawyers in Baja have little opportunities other than milking the rico gringos from CA. It's easy money.:biggrin:
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 07:55 AM

Did the immigration office yesterday in Cabo. Renewal of FM3 and application for FM2. Morgaine has the right website and directions for the right form you will fill out but you might need to fill the form out in their office. There is a computer set up that links to their printer. Fill the form out, print it, go up to the window and pick it up. There will be a number on your app that they can retrieve at their computer. They give you forms to take to the bank and a form that goes with the pictures you get taken. Pay the bank, get your pictures, fill in the picture form and go back to the window. They do the stamping thing and tell you to check online with your app number to see when it's ready to be picked up. Same app for renewals or new status. Just let them know what you are trying to do when you start. I don't have the final results in hand but so far pretty simple. They did ask for bank statements and utility bills.....can't remember a letter though.
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2010 at 07:01 AM

Printed up this form to fill out. Does anyone know what the " CURP" box means? And when they are asking for your "Documento de identificacion," do they mean your US Passport # or your FM-3#?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2010 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
Printed up this form to fill out. Does anyone know what the " CURP" box means? And when they are asking for your "Documento de identificacion," do they mean your US Passport # or your FM-3#?

Don't know if this answers your question, but it's a start. You can find additional info at Google...."Mexican identification.....CURP."

http://tinyurl.com/272xghs

[Edited on 5-19-2010 by DENNIS]
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2010 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta

They did not ask for a letter, utility bills and bank statements showing income??

I forgot to mention a simple "letter" in spanish asking to renewal your FM-3 (They provided a sample to copy).. "Bank statement" was only for showing proof of your payment of your FM3 fees at the bank.

There was no request for bank statements showing income or deposits in mexican banks or current utility bills.. "At this time"...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
baja829
Nomad

Mood: BAJA HAPPY

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 12:30 PM

Just did my yesterday in San Felipe - quick and easy. Go to www.retirement-mexicomio.blogspot.com for info. Documentation, cost, etc. And yes, they want the Bank letter, but the interview questions require you state your monthly income as well.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.