Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ripped off! Be Warned
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
....... Yes, it was when we let our guard down that we had our truck stolen in Guatemala, and yes we did a GREAT job of kicking ourselves, but it still was not our fault someone else chose to be a thief.

[Edited on 11-28-2010 by DianaT]

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Diane, since we are thinking of driving allthe way to Guatemala, can you tell the story of the stolen truck ????

posted by lizard lips, not diane

I dooon theeen so. :light:
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 06:00 PM

I passed through checkpoints hundreds of times with no problems. Then they got me for a $150.00 pair of sunglasses I had left on the passenger seat. I now only allow one searcher and I insist that I watch his every move closely, avoiding distractions from others. I keep anything valuable like money or documents on my body.

I've noticed that the Mexicans going through for the most part don't watch the searchers. Maybe they don't get ripped off or maybe they know not to have anything worth stealing in the car.

By the way, I have passed through the checkpoints many more times since the sunglasses disappeared and have had no further problems. So maybe it was a rare bad egg that took them.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Oh Damn! Made the trip up yesterday, Sat. 11/27/10. Other than missing the San Diego turn off in TJ and the 2hr wait after I found a way to the SD line the trip went smoothly. However this morning when I was going to load my wallet with dollars I discovered I'd been robbed. It had to be the military stop north of El Rasario because they were the only ones that actually went through my stuff. I was suspicious at the time but hadn't had any trouble for years so didn't check. The soldiers went in both front doors and blocked my view while I was talking to the third one. Classic move and I should have gone with my gut and checked right then. They got over $1000 in peso and dollars. I plan to talk to/inform the post commander on my return but that won't be for at least 2 weeks. If any of you know or talk to the head honcho there maybe you could mention this. I think the way the soldiers pulled this off they have done it before.

As David K said, I am sure that if you contact them they will give you all of your money back with a big I'm sorry card. And, oh by the way, when you come down the next time I am sure they will handle you with kid gloves and give you the red carpet treatment.

Good luck on that.

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by CortezBlue]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 06:43 PM

Good points Diana. I have far too many stories of being ripped-off in Baja. Is it bad "luck", carelessness, a too open and transparent demeanor, or some combination of things? The real pain for me is to recall those occasions when I've been taken advantage of by someone while I was doing them a good deed, or when someone I knew stole from me.

I can forgive a lot in a person, but how do we accomodate a lapse in basic integrity?

Is the concept of integrity fully realized by a 20 year old Mexican boy conscripted into his country's military from the countryside, shipped far from home, kept in spartan conditions, paid almost nothing, given an assault rifle and left to rummage through the possessions of the most wealthy people he has ever seen?

Is it likely he has grown up in a belief system that provides him redundant methods of forgiveness?:saint:

Some of my favorite moments in Mexico have been in interaction with good, honest, hard-working soldiers doing their jobs in good humor.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Diane, since we are thinking of driving allthe way to Guatemala, can you tell the story of the stolen truck ????

OK, In 1999 it was our 1984 Toyota 4x4 truck with 200,000 miles that was snagged for probable work on a Guatemalan Coffee Finca. That baby was in GREAT shape and I know John planned on being buried in it. Miss that simple old truck.

It had Honduran licence plates as we had been living and working in Honduras and got tired of driving it in and out of the country every six months. Since we were going to be working in Guatemala, we had started the process of getting Guatemalan plates----the day after it was stolen, we picked up the plates and still have them.

Fortunately, we had dropped the dog off at the vet for a small surgery, or they probably would have killed her. We then went shopping at a small strip mall in Zona 15, one of the safest and best areas of the city. And we were in the store for about 10 minutes at the most---probably 5 minutes.

Let our guard down? Yes. That wonderful truck had no alarm, but we ALWAYS put the club on the steering wheel as we knew these trucks were very popular for work on the coffee fincas. All Toyotas were very popular in Honduras and Guatemala.

But in this SMALL parking lot, there were three armed security guards, armed with rather intimidating looking rifles----takes a while down there to get used to the armed security people everywhere. So, the club did not go on---ok, it would have probably just slowed them down.

We also let our guard down in that we saw a rather savory looking man in a small truck sitting there. We have a rule between us that if it does not look OK to one of us, we follow that feeling. This time, we just thought, no problem, the guys with the guns were there. Lesson, if your gut says something is not OK, LISTEN

And guess what, those three armed security guards in a very small parking lot saw NOTHING---NOTHING. I guess they all needed glasses. :lol: It is an unbelievable feeling to walk out and see that your car is gone----takes a bit to sink in,, gone, just gone.

And the police in Guatemala? Oh they are wonderful. We spent hours with them-- it was stolen at about 2 in the afternoon and the next day they told us that at 11pm they had notified all the borders to look out for the truck. The only border they might not have made by 11pm was the one into Belize because half of that highway was still dirt!

Oh well, we are quite sure that baby truck went to work on the a coffee finca, probably one owned by one of our student's parents. The school "forgot" to tell us that there was a ring working the area stealing trucks like ours for the fincas.

So---in the end

Listen to your gut feelings,

Don't get so comfortable that you let your guard down

Remember that the armed guards have more than one boss

The police are----well one local one used to bring his novia to the vacant lot across from our home every night and stayed for hours protecting that lot. And when one of our friends was robbed hiking a volcano in Antigua, the police wanted an exact listing of what was taken---they don't want to be cheated. :biggrin:

But will we go back? Absolutely-----

And even though we, as the victim let our guard down, it was still not our fault that others decided to be thieves!

And that was probably a lot more than you wanted to know. :biggrin:

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by DianaT]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 07:39 PM

wow...amazing story .... thanks !!

I had my car stolen in TJ in the space of about 2 minutes. No one saw anything either ..... going to the dentist, walked up the stairs, looked out the window and presto disappearo. NO car. Hadn't finished making payments, hadn't realized my insurance didn't cover Mexico .... I was just a young kid at the time.

Kicking yourself just doesn't quite capture the feeling :fire:

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 11:35 AM

Dude, I'll put my 2 cents in! Next time CARRY your wallet, important docs or whatever when you get out for the military check points. Where do you think you are? In the USA?
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 12:29 PM

As horrible as this story is, is was way worse many years ago when Judiciales Federales would man the checkpoints. Myself and a friend took a road trip from L.A. to Ciudad Obregon, Sonora in 1984. On the drive back we encountered quite a few checkpoints with Judiciales Federales and these guys didn't wear uniforms, the just had automatic weapons and alot of gold around their necks. At each checkpoint they would pick something that they liked and simply took it....right in front of us. Judiciales Federales are now known as ministeriales and they are a bit more tame.
Back in the day Judiciales were feared throughout Mexico because they operated and murdered with impunity. God forbid you were taken to "los separos", that is where they would take you to torture you and try to coerce a confession for a crime that needed solving asap.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by viabaja
Dude, I'll put my 2 cents in! Next time CARRY your wallet, important docs or whatever when you get out for the military check points. Where do you think you are? In the USA?

GEEZE, Lighten up. Pretty much everyone agrees with your thoughts. I've haven't lived in the States for about 20 years so I pretty much know where I am. I did have my have my wallet with me. And my papers & cash were in a place not normally checked.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 12:32 AM
Dishonesty must not be tolerated...

Russ... as I explained to you by e-mail, the worst thing we can do is nothing... this kind of behavior must not be tolerated... dishonesty has no excuse.

Please send me all the details you can remember about the revision and I will make sure the proper authorities received them... I do not know if you will get your money back... but we have to do our best effort so the soldiers that checked your car get what they deserve... a military punishment.

I am sorry for what happened to you Russ... now, let us try to avoid this from happening to someone else.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

[Edited on 12-2-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 06:46 AM

Russ, just think it might have been Buba ..... Oh, the horror...

I can't tell you anything, have been robbed, burglarized.. assaulted, stabbed and shot at... in my life...

Some walk to a different drummer.... and chiitt happens..

Glad your ok, and they didn't get your camera... NOW that would have been BAD... we would have to chip in so we still get those morning shots....

But, thats OK.... you're a straight arrow in my book... tell-em to pound sand...

[Edited on 12-2-2010 by wessongroup]

BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 07:44 AM

Sorry for the loss but thanks for the head's up and attitude re-adjustment. It's been so many years since I've lost anything to the army guys (Mag-lite about 5 or 6 years ago), that I've become a bit too trusting and very lax on my vigilance during the inspections.

Just had a 3 on 1 experience like yours at an inspection at Blvd 2000 where it meets the free road. We didn't loose anything (at least that I know about). Two happy guys asking way too many questions while the other was searching our trailer. They may have been genuinely nice curious individuals, or of they were trying to distract me. If they were, I was lucky the guy searching didn't come across anything worth taking because I definitely wasn't watching very closely.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 08:16 AM

Antonio, I got distracted the last two days and didn't finish the report I planned to send you. I'll try to finish it up this morning. I really appreciate all your help.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 08:36 AM

I think BigWoo is right - I've really gotten lax over the last few years; but I did it on purpose. I used to only unlock one door at a time and then go to the opposite door to watch and then I started understanding the impression I was leaving. Now I get out, put my wallet in my pocket, my phone in my shirt pocket, my papers, camera and any extra cash is in an old briefcase in the back floor boards with a small travelers lock on the zipper. They have never even got to the briefcase, not even once.
At the very same location the Russ has mentioned, this happened to me last year. Traveling north, alone at dusk, the checkpoint was busy, at least 8 cars in front of me and both lanes full. When it was my turn I forgot to grab my phone and it was on the center console. When they are through inspecting, I get in but realise I don't have my phone and it's not on the center console. I jump out and raise a ruckus, someone stole my phone, everyone comes running over and the jefe pulls out his cell phone and asks what my number is and he dials it. My phone start ringing from inside my truck; when they opened the console cover, the phone slid off to the back floorboards.
My embarrassment at my tissy-fit was only exceeded by the solders relief.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 09:28 AM

santiago...that is such a classic baja story!!!! I have seen and heard sooooo many similar tales of gringos thinking they were ripped off, short changed etc...but the reality was...THEY made a mistake.

dont get me wrong....there are rip-offs for sure and we must remember not to let our guard down...anywhere...but your story is great.

sorry for your loss Russ but thanks for sharing and reminding us of potential checkpoint issues.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
santiago...that is such a classic baja story!!!! I have seen and heard sooooo many similar tales of gringos thinking they were ripped off, short changed etc...but the reality was...THEY made a mistake.

dont get me wrong....there are rip-offs for sure and we must remember not to let our guard down...anywhere...but your story is great.

sorry for your loss Russ but thanks for sharing and reminding us of potential checkpoint issues.

Russ, check your back pockets.:lol:

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Quote:

you're right DENNIS and I applogize to Diane and Lizard Lips. This is what i saw that confused me:

Originally posted by lizard lips
As much as I travel I have ever been ripped off. Why? Because I don't allow the chance of this happening--ever. Driving a car into Guatemala and having it stolen is another issue.

Bob Durrell
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 05:07 PM

Santiago I loved reading your story .... I laughed out loud ! very funny and really - it could happen to any of us !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.