BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: On the west side, half way down. Or so.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 10:42 AM

they actually started out obtaining property in the southern section. they have more than you think.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy
they actually started out obtaining property in the southern section. they have more than you think.

I was just reporting on what was in the web site that was provided... I would think they would want to tell how much they have secured... so where is the list? Thanks pappy!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 11:24 AM

yeah, our hero reporting "facts".

DK, please don't jump in if you can't swim. there will be no one to pull you out if you sink.

why don't you call wildcoast? ask for Zach. tell him who you are, how your maps will help the migrant fish camps prosper, see what he has to say-good or bad- and report back....

then make a donation to the Valle de los Cirios Conservation.

or are all you just talk?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
yeah, our hero reporting "facts".

DK, please don't jump in if you can't swim. there will be no one to pull you out if you sink.

why don't you call wildcoast? ask for Zach. tell him who you are, how your maps will help the migrant fish camps prosper, see what he has to say-good or bad- and report back....

then make a donation to the Valle de los Cirios Conservation.

or are all you just talk?

Oh, so much for the truce... , they are not MY facts... it is from the web page, sources of info provide.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 11:56 AM

wonder if they got it with a National Land Title?
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 12:54 PM

I love these threads.
Nice pics. I've been dying to take my kids down there. It's a freaking world of wonder for the groms. I'm hoping this is the year....

For the record, DK, posting names of surf spots on the internet is against the code of conduct for many of the people who frequent these areas. I'm not sure how you treat each other in the pile-of-rock hunting circles, but for us, the golden egg is exactly what this guy found - a good break, with no one out. So it goes contrary to entire point of going down there to tell the world about it and share the coordinates, etc on the internet. Thats not to say there isn't intel to be gleaned from the veterans of this part of baja, but it just isnt really cool to go griping about how no one wants to post a name or a location for millions of viewers to read. This isn't national geographic - we don't want readers, we want solitude. So if the local people want exposure, then they outta log in and post pics and coordinates. This particular spot is usually pretty impacted with people, and I don't think it would be in the best interest of the guy who runs it to broadcast a mass e-vite to his place - I would have to think that the bulk of his business would drift right on down the beach to one of the other "secret spots" and he'd be left to clean up after a bunch of disrespectful spring breakers with ghetto blasters and kegs. Come to think of it, a keg would be nice down there.

yuletide
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 01:46 PM

SAVVY?

Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 03:55 PM

Bajamatic, Thank you! Very well put.
MMc

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
I love these threads.
Nice pics. I've been dying to take my kids down there. It's a freaking world of wonder for the groms. I'm hoping this is the year....

For the record, DK, posting names of surf spots on the internet is against the code of conduct for many of the people who frequent these areas. I'm not sure how you treat each other in the pile-of-rock hunting circles, but for us, the golden egg is exactly what this guy found - a good break, with no one out. So it goes contrary to entire point of going down there to tell the world about it and share the coordinates, etc on the internet. Thats not to say there isn't intel to be gleaned from the veterans of this part of baja, but it just isnt really cool to go griping about how no one wants to post a name or a location for millions of viewers to read. This isn't national geographic - we don't want readers, we want solitude. So if the local people want exposure, then they outta log in and post pics and coordinates. This particular spot is usually pretty impacted with people, and I don't think it would be in the best interest of the guy who runs it to broadcast a mass e-vite to his place - I would have to think that the bulk of his business would drift right on down the beach to one of the other "secret spots" and he'd be left to clean up after a bunch of disrespectful spring breakers with ghetto blasters and kegs. Come to think of it, a keg would be nice down there.

1) I have NEVER posted a name of a SURF spot... I have NEVER posted a GPS of the road along Seven Sisters or any beach/ point there iether. MAYBE actually READ what I do post?

I don't go to Baja to surf, and I don't try to do anything more than to help anyone with the right kind of vehicle find their own Baja adventure... just like all of you surfers have already done.

2) I have posted road logs describing dirt roads and places named on maps or told to me by those who are there. Having a road log describing conditions is a matter for safety and economy... driving endlessly about the desert is dangerous and not healthy for the enviroment! Road logs and maps are already in book stores for over 50 years to this region.

3) As for the remote Pacific area often called 'The Seven Sisters' on maps or by surfing publications... I have driven it ONCE in 2007... It is (was) mostly a lonely, cold, cloudy region that doesn't have enough appeal to cause me to want to return to much of it...

4) By special request, made to me by Woody in OB (now Woody with a View) in 2007, I did not provide any of my typical GPS waypoints along that road nor used the name 'Seven Sisters' and agreed to "talk it down" like I just did above... I did a lot of compromising for an Internet amigo... yet, since then... some surfos act as if I posted a billboard along I-5 offering to pay surfers (that aren't on your list) to come to Mexico and crowd you off a wave... that one day of the year when you are there too. :rolleyes:

5) It is a dirt road... it was a Baja 1000 race course... it has been in Baja guidebooks... it is in Surfing guidebooks... and it isn't just for surfers to drive on. SO, I didn't do that trip or web page for surfers, but instead for ALL Baja enthusiasts who either want to go, or now know they don't want to go, or now don't need to go because their curiosity is answered.

Surfers already know this area, and if they want to go there and can, it isn't because they waited for my trip report of 2007 on Baja Nomad... You guys didn't wait for my road log before going the first time...

Knowing how roads change in Baja... that road log is out-of-date now... and maybe they paved the graded highway from the already paved Santa Rosalillita road to Bahia Blanca???

Your only fear from getting crowded out is: Better roads (being built by the Mexican government), end to fear of Mexico, and a better economy.

Bad roads act like a filter... they generally only let a few cool people in.

Good roads allow anyone in.

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 10:32 AM

DK. PUH-LEEZ! I'm not saying you are some kind of surf spot rat, I'm saying that you seem to oppose not sharing locations.

Here are a few quotes from this thread alone:

"Books, magazines, & fellow surfers have all disclosed the 7 Sisters,,, yet, somehow you think Baja Nomad will be the one and only place that bad people will gain info. in order to grafitti or crowd out your beach... Now, that is funny!"

"Seriously, a few surfers somehow think that once they learn of a location nobody else should go... as if they would ever see another Nomad there when they are there, and even so... why would that be so bad?

The OP here probably just doesn't want one of the other secret keepers (and there are so many, it isn't a secret) to jump down his throat for giving the name of that beach north of Santa Rosalillita... or"

"Your 'spot' won't be ruined by other Nomads"

Reading not only your actual text, but between the lines (which means SUBTEXT), you are arguing that posting the locations of these places online will cause no harm. I am pointing out that some people operate under a different code; in the case I refer to them as "we", because we share the common bond of loving to explore baja IN SEARCH OF EMPTY WAVES (that's the key difference between your goals and ours). The reason your beautiful beach is still empty is because it offers one thing - an empty beach; those are a dime a dozen, especially on the east coast of baja. If there were some kind of rare game bird that you happened to hunt, you would not announce this to the world, lest your precious birds become extinct from that area. Or, if people were in the practice of removing missions once they discovered them, or clogging the surrounding campsites because for some god forsaken reason it became super popular to stare at piles of rocks, then you too might refrain from sharing your most precious discoveries. It doesn't take a whole lot of people to constitute a "crowd" in the water. And what tends to make it palatable is the fact that you kinda have to find your own way there - a right of passage so to speak. If it becomes too easy (much like your roads theory) then its going to become clogged with the exact kind of person you pray isn't in the campsite next to you. In this case, I would argue that sharing locations is worse than a paved road. There are paved roads all over Southern California, and there are still great surf spots that the masses don't know about.

[Edited on 4-23-2011 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 10:42 AM

BajaMatic, the point is I have NOT disclosed location of surf points.

I have said more times than I can count that I am not a surfer, and wouldn't be able to tell another person what a good surf location is.

I also have not provided GPS along the road that parallels the Pacific... as if that had some kind of magic power to bring bad surfers to your surf break.

So, consider that it is the graded and paved roads that will increase traffic, not my 2007 trip report... okay?

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 10:52 AM

You know, the more you keep wanting to fight over the Seven Sisters issue (this supposedly "secret" surfing spot), the more curiosity you create over where this "secret" surfing spot actually is. That will probably just motivate more people to come down and try to find this "previously secret" surfing location.

Just saying...

yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 10:58 AM

ITS SIMPLE
if you want to try to keep a spot secret DONT even post a report........

This forum is for sharing Info with others, not post a report and then not tell anyone where you went.

I'm a fisherman if I post a fishing report I'll say where I fished. If I don't want anyone to know where I fished I won't post a report

I do think the secret stuff is STUPID

[Edited on 4-23-2011 by yellowklr]

Derek
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 12:03 PM

I'd add that I say all of this with all due respect to Mr. DK. I totally enjoy all of your posts, FYI. Including the drip system one.

Hair splitting indeed. What are the seven sisters? Aren't we talking about K38?

[Edited on 4-23-2011 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 12:08 PM

Thanks amigos (Bajamatic, Frank, yellowklr, Ron)!

Beers on me on 'my special' beach (that I hope to see you all on, having fun)... Do you need the GPS for it??? ;D

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 12:58 PM

Wow, and to think I started all this by asking for the name of a beach. I haven't surfed in 20 years and was only inquiring because it was on the Pacific Ocean side which would be cooler (temperature wise) than the Mulege area. It looked like a nice place to take two young granddaughters to roast marshmellows and ride their bogey boards!! David's maps have helped me immensely. He supplied a great map for a friend that was towing a long fifth wheel and needed street by street directions to the Tecate border. The directions worked perfectly and my friend will be forever grateful. (Oh goodness, I hope the directions weren't suppose to be a secret!!! Now, everybody will probably want to take that secret route to the border and the traffic will be unbearable....) To me this is silly. The chances of any two posters being at this beach during the same week is remote and so what if they are??? Is there really only room for one surfer at a time?? Does the surfer that found this beach in 1968 have more rights than the surfer that didn't find it until 1970? Can the dad that surfed it in 1968 not give the info to his grandkids? To David- I'm sorry I asked and I really do appreciate the excellent directions and maps you have supplied to Tecate and to Scorpion beach etc. Ron
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 01:09 PM

most surfers you find on 7 sisters coast are typically the same so cal jerks you find in san diego and orange county beaches.
i have found that the so cal jerks take their localism with them to baja, and act like they own the place if more gingos show up at "their" baja beach. most surfers are nice if you are already acquainted, but if not aquainted, surfers are the worst jerks you will encounter on a baja beach.

i mean that, the worst jerks i ever met in baja were so cal surfers. they are the only people you will find in baja that bring their adolescent tribalism with them (except for some gang bangers in TJ-Rosarito corridor). not all surfers are bad in baja, but there are a bunch of them,...

the comments you see here about protecting secret spots are the bad side of surfing.

localists should take their bad vibes elsewhere

peace love and fish tacos! (except, i wish lots of flat tires on surfer jerks that bring their localism to baja!)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 02:53 PM

Quote:

So it goes contrary to entire point of going down there to tell the world about it and share the coordinates, etc on the internet. Thats not to say there isn't intel to be gleaned from the veterans of this part of baja, but it just isnt really cool to go griping about how no one wants to post a name or a location for millions of viewers to read. This isn't national geographic - we don't want readers, we want solitude. So if the local people want exposure, then they outta log in and post pics and coordinates. This particular spot is usually pretty impacted with people, and I don't think it would be in the best interest of the guy who runs it to broadcast a mass e-vite to his place - I would have to think that the bulk of his business would drift right on down the beach to one of the other "secret spots" and he'd be left to clean up after a bunch of disrespectful spring breakers with ghetto blasters and kegs. Come to think of it, a keg would be nice down there.

i give up, for the summer season! see the above. we go and find it. we don't advertise, gps, rock crawls, etc... that is for "you others, on your other side." nobody owns the road, granted. when others arrive, if they have any respect they don't park 15 feet away, pile out of their dad's rig and ask if it's going off? subtlety..... don't expect to find Requeson out there during semana santa, unless these maps (in other threads) keep being posted.

and mtgoat69er, go lay down by your water bowl.....

edit: and to all of the haters on this site - we've met dozens of Nomads out there, on the road to nowhere. we crop our fotos, leave crumbs for the like minded to pick up on, share our REAL trips thru email and generally like each others company!

you wouldn't believe the fun we have laughing about, "how the masses don't have a clue." check out the malibu wave cam next time shaun styles tells the world there is a high surf advisory, and imagine baja like that.

it's DK's narcissism that gets the wagons in a circle..... nobody begrudges him for his knowledge, it's the things he has no clue about........

happy easter bunnies to all!

[Edited on 4-23-2011 by woody with a view]

yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 03:20 PM

Ok being super (CIA) secret about a spot to the point of cropping pics......Why post at all on a Public forum??????????

Just to show off that you have a spot we don't???

Why not post a Restraunt review and not tell me where it is??

Some of you don't get it....If you want to post its cause you like to share your stories and information.....

At least thats what I thought

Derek
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 03:31 PM

i love to share how i just scored.

i just don't want it to become an internet search result.

comprende?:?:

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.