Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The Drug War: Victory Unattainable
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 09:48 AM
Counting the Dead.

Whenever, ANYONE ends up dead at the hands of the Druggies in Mex, there is a chorus of "Well, THOSE had something to do with the business and were NOT innocents".

On the other hand, the same bunch seems to trot out those same DEAD as VICTIMS of the violence whenever that suits their point.

I know that it's unreasonable to expect any consistency from the "Legalize" bunch, BUT ............................ ?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 10:39 AM

Legalize pot, plain and simple. See how that shakes out, then move on from there.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I know that it's unreasonable to expect any consistency from the "Legalize" bunch, BUT ............................ ?

As a proud member of the "Legalize" bunch, can you please point out any inconsistencies in my position?

[Edited on 4-28-2011 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 11:10 AM

It just may have to be legalized, but it seems to me like legalizing cancer.
Of course, if governments don't have what it takes to fight the war, what are you gonna do?
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 11:21 AM

Monoloco,

Legalizing drugs will cause people who were once hesitant to use drugs because of the severe penalties to now feel free to use drugs and will probably become addicted. Why chance that and just get more addicts. There is no amount of talking that will ever convince me that legalizing drugs is the answer to the drug war. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 11:24 AM

So pot is addictive?:O Who would 've thunk it?:O
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
Legalizing drugs will cause people who were once hesitant to use drugs because of the severe penalties to now feel free to use drugs and will probably become addicted. Why chance that and just get more addicts. There is no amount of talking that will ever convince me that legalizing drugs is the answer to the drug war. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

In my opinion, deterrance is not a significant factor in ones choice to use or not use. The US has the most severe penalty for murder (death) and we have more murders per capita than any other country. That might not be a perfect analogy but I believe it is valid. And even if legalization does create a few more addicts, how can that offset the incredible violence and loss of life created by the illegal drug business? Clearly legalization is the lesser of those evils. Legalization is the only answer. Not perfect, but the only thing that has ever had a chance of working.

carpe diem!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
The US has the most severe penalty for murder (death) and we have more murders per capita than any other country.

Not quite:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murde...
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 11:44 AM

Ken we could go on to Ad nausium about this issue. Suffice it to say that the leaders better get it together and come up with a game plan because what is going on now is not working.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 11:46 AM

Ken Bondy, You take fantastic underwater pictures and have a good way with words. Glad you're on the legalization side of this issue. The anti-legalization bunch? Same old wornout arguments. Disproved, debunked and discredited. But they cling to their opinions, makes you wonder?
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
The US has the most severe penalty for murder (death) and we have more murders per capita than any other country.

Not quite:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murde...

DENNIS Thanks for that!! Jeez I've been using that quote for years (like maybe back when it was true :)). Gonna have to change my argument and work #24 into it. Anyway thanks for the research. ++Ken++

carpe diem!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
Ken we could go on to Ad nausium about this issue. Suffice it to say that the leaders better get it together and come up with a game plan because what is going on now is not working.

Sure agree with that.

carpe diem!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Ken Bondy, You take fantastic underwater pictures and have a good way with words. Glad you're on the legalization side of this issue. The anti-legalization bunch? Same old wornout arguments. Disproved, debunked and discredited. But they cling to their opinions, makes you wonder?

Thanks Cypress. I am often surprised at how strongly those against legalization argue for a system that clearly doesn't work.

carpe diem!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 12:34 PM

I would like to see a model of legalization that is successful with eliminating illegal trafficking.

Even Holland, which is erroneously cited as having legalized drugs, has seen increased trafficking of hard drugs recently with it's non enforcement policy towards "soft drugs".

The cartels will not be folding their tents if the US were to legalize pot. The likelihood of the US legalizing all "illegal drugs" will never happen in my opinion. The cartels will just provide what is not legal, or undercut the price of government controlled drugs.

Look at California with its tolerant policy towards pot, is now rethinking the whole medical marijuana retail stores policy. They are a joke really, I mean does anyone really think that the customers of those stores are all there for medical reasons?

I don't know what is going to be the solution to the crime related effects of our (USA) addiction to rec drugs.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
I would like to see a model of legalization that is successful with eliminating illegal trafficking.

Even Holland, which is erroneously cited as having legalized drugs, has seen increased trafficking of hard drugs recently with it's non enforcement policy towards "soft drugs".

The cartels will not be folding their tents if the US were to legalize pot. The likelihood of the US legalizing all "illegal drugs" will never happen in my opinion. The cartels will just provide what is not legal, or undercut the price of government controlled drugs.

Look at California with its tolerant policy towards pot, is now rethinking the whole medical marijuana retail stores policy. They are a joke really, I mean does anyone really think that the customers of those stores are all there for medical reasons?

I don't know what is going to be the solution to the crime related effects of our (USA) addiction to rec drugs.
Of course all those customers are not there for medical reasons. Why does it matter? If someone wants to sit at home and smoke dope (or drink alcohol, shoot heroin, or snort cocaine) until they're stupid why should anyone care? The only thing that's important to me is that they don't break in to my house to steal stuff to get the money to buy it.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
If someone wants to sit at home and smoke dope (or drink alcohol, shoot heroin, or snort cocaine) until they're stupid why should anyone care? The only thing that's important to me is that they don't break in to my house to steal stuff to get the money to buy it.

Only truly addictive personalities sit at home and get high. The majority of drug use is social. If not, we wouldn't be having this debate.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Only truly addictive personalities sit at home and get high. The majority of drug use is social. If not, we wouldn't be having this debate.

It's kinda like communion for a Catholic.

[Edited on 4-28-2011 by DENNIS]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 04:07 PM

I stand on my earlier premise that while legalizing pot is probably the right thing to do, (and so is gay marrigae), as I also noted, and Ken chimed-in, pot is really on a part of what's at stake. As I said, inasmuch as the cartels already have an international delivery and sales system in place, not to mention a huge arsenal, I just can't see that legalizing pot is really connected to the cartel/ crime problem.

That said, for those who dismiss the medical marijuana thing, without naming names, I can absolutely attest to its efficacy. Someone that I know very well has literally been able to stop taking a number of expensive prescription drugs by substituting marijuana.

You folks that embrace the idea propagated by the old propaganda flick Reefer Madness need to understand that not only was that movie produced in 1937, but it was produced for specific propaganda purposes.

As I mentioned previously, I do not smoke the stuff. But, I have first hand knowledge that medicinal pot actually works. Of course, the whole thing is greatly abused, what with people who make up ailments and go to doctors who are more than willing to right a scrip. But, if the stuff was lust legalized, the doctors to whom I refer could stop being hoars.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I stand on my earlier premise that while legalizing pot is probably the right thing to do, (and so is gay marrigae), as I also noted, and Ken chimed-in, pot is really on a part of what's at stake. As I said, inasmuch as the cartels already have an international delivery and sales system in place, not to mention a huge arsenal, I just can't see that legalizing pot is really connected to the cartel/ crime problem.

That said, for those who dismiss the medical marijuana thing, without naming names, I can absolutely attest to its efficacy. Someone that I know very well has literally been able to stop taking a number of expensive prescription drugs by substituting marijuana.

You folks that embrace the idea propagated by the old propaganda flick Reefer Madness need to understand that not only was that movie produced in 1937, but it was produced for specific propaganda purposes.

As I mentioned previously, I do not smoke the stuff. But, I have first hand knowledge that medicinal pot actually works. Of course, the whole thing is greatly abused, what with people who make up ailments and go to doctors who are more than willing to right a scrip. But, if the stuff was lust legalized, the doctors to whom I refer could stop being hoars.

Howard,

I hope you are not throwing me in with those that embrace the Reefer Madness......

My post was addressing only this thread topic.... "Drug War...."

I made no judgement on the use at all. My point was the likelihood of legalizing pot, just pot, in the most liberal of states (California) is fading. Cities are reexamining the whole process, as it has become obvious to most everyone that it is a vehicle to sell to almost all that have the money to pay up. That's the "Joke" part.

Of course I agree that it is effective in pain control, in fact I have personal experience in my family of it being effective in a cancer case.

Ken
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 07:06 PM
A New Dance in Californy ?

The Gay Marrigae, Odd ?

Oh, OK, That's Merengue.

Or, is it a Bitter Gay (Lemon) Meringue ?

OR ....... ?

[Edited on 4-29-2011 by MrBillM]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.