Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: toyota tacoma double cab vs f150 supercrew
drarroyo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2011 at 07:29 PM

Toyota trucks took a half step backwards mid 2000's, when they bumped the Tacoma to Tundra size (and Chevy-truck style! ... ick) and bumped the Tundra even larger. Tundra gas mileage is deplorable.
My 2000 taco gets 21-22 'round town. I do drive rather conservatively. Not slowly ... just smartly :lol: And great mileage on those straightaways of BCS!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-21-2011 at 08:23 PM

David, you are incorrect. Maybe you should make sure you know the subject at hand before so forcefully presenting your "opinions" (I'm trying to be nice here).

There is NO requirement for Ethanol on California Reformulated Gasoline.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/faq.htm

Any ethanol added is added by the refiners in order to meet requirements for oxygenate in an effort to reduce emissions. They choose ethanol instead of other oxygenates because of Federal incentives for Ethanol use.

[Edited on 7-22-2011 by Roberto]
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 06:44 AM

reports from friends here are about 17mpg....our FJ Cruiser got 17 mpg w/ me driving and 21 with Sharon driving..current Dodge 4.7 crew 2wd gets 18-20
she uses a MINI Clubman S as her new daily driver...me...Goldwing 1500

so truck is for: ...honey do's , house stuff and BAJA...means being able to throw 12ft tinnie on top and gear in the back and room to take friends, grandkids(maybe)

not sure there is anything out there that will haul, go off road, comfort for long highway drive and get GREAT mileage...diesel was a thought untill it was .50-.60 hihger than unleaded
06 tacos are near $20K here
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
David, you are incorrect. Maybe you should make sure you know the subject at hand before so forcefully presenting your "opinions" (I'm trying to be nice here).

Any ethanol added is added by the refiners in order to meet requirements for oxygenate in an effort to reduce emissions. They choose ethanol instead of other oxygenates because of Federal incentives for Ethanol use.

Technically that's true. They can use other oxygenates if they meet the CA standards. The use of ethanol is the least costly way to meet the standards. The list of banned additives is given and no alternative to ethanol is listed except to say others can be used if they meet the CA standard.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 01:54 PM

So, the question is about Taco vs Ford....just because I don't know and am beginning to shop....what about Taco vs Sierra/Silverado 4X4....

Mostly paved and gravel roads and not heavy towing....Baja every second year and no rock crawling.

Where does General Motors fit in this conversation?

Don't believe everything you think....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 02:17 PM

It depends on what your need really are. Some people prefer a full size truck. I have a 2004 GMC Z71 I purchased new. First three years it was at the dealer every six months for one thing or another, I got the extended warranty and had two fuel pumps replaced under it. After warranty ended both heads had a leak not under factory recall. I'm out $3000. I love the feel when driving it but frankly I don't think I would buy another GM vehicle. I also had a 91 chevy 4x4 I bought new and had issues with it including a new tranny. Again everything under warranty. I bought a 2004 Tacoma 4x4 V6 last Dec. with 66000 miles on it. I've just about set it up to my way. Love it. I had a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 V6 work truck before I retired. It now has 50,000+ miles and has never been to the dealer for repairs, just oil and tires. Both the 04 and 07 Tacomas get 21-22 mpg on the hwy unloaded. My GMC 17 mpg hwy.

If I were to get a full size truck it would be a Ford. Mid or small size a Toyota can't be beat. Nissan may be good too.

I would add a Tundra to my list too. My son bought one in Jan. A 4x4 crewcab style.

[Edited on 7-23-2011 by TW]
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 02:36 PM

decision made...2004 Tundra SR5 double cab 4x4...low miles, clean...may need to swap out rubber prior to October trip, then throw the 12ft tinnie on the rack and head to Gonzaha

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions BN rocks

Mike & SHaron
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 02:48 PM

keep the maintenance up on your yota and it will run forever, or at least 3-4 times longer than american crap of the same vintage.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
keep the maintenance up on your yota and it will run forever, or at least 3-4 times longer than american crap of the same vintage.

You mean the crap like my 2002 f250, 207,000 miles and never needed a repair other than normal maintenance?

oops forgot. CPS replaced under recall.

Don't even ask how many times to Baja. I live here more than in Arizona

[Edited on 7-22-2011 by rts551]
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 03:02 PM

rts551...when are you headed back...dental trip go OK?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyspots
rts551...when are you headed back...dental trip go OK?

done... ready now. waiting for our mechanic in Ensenada to say the quad is ready. Race in San Ignacio on the 31st, Asuncion mid August, San Felipe 24 August and the Loreto 400 10 September.
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 11:46 PM

good luck and have a great time...keep the shiny side up
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-23-2011 at 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

If you find where I said it was REQUIRED, then please quote me... I said 'they' meaning 'enviro-wackos'.

ARCO and COSTCO gas (the two cheapest multi-location gas brands I see in SoCal) both contain 10% Ethynol and when I use them, my mileage drops one to two MPG! This has really been noticed in the past few months, as I used to get gas from Costco or Arco frequently... but no more.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2011 at 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
So, the question is about Taco vs Ford....just because I don't know and am beginning to shop....what about Taco vs Sierra/Silverado 4X4....

Mostly paved and gravel roads and not heavy towing....Baja every second year and no rock crawling.

Where does General Motors fit in this conversation?

At the bottom... :lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2011 at 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyspots
decision made...2004 Tundra SR5 double cab 4x4...low miles, clean...may need to swap out rubber prior to October trip, then throw the 12ft tinnie on the rack and head to Gonzaha

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions BN rocks

Mike & SHaron

Best of luck!

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2011 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
....Where does General Motors fit in this conversation?

Well, I knew someone would throw a rock at my head :lol:

I like the cab roominess size of the full-size trucks and the quality of the Taco Truck....what a dilemma :?:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2011 at 10:25 AM

I think the Tundras built before the Texas plant opened were pretty good. I understand the first year or two of the Texas plant Tundras had a rust issue or maybe a frame issue. But I think they got that worked out. I'd be careful with any Tundra between 07-10 built in Texas. My son purchased a new Tundra in Jan. A 4x4 crewcab so I'm waiting to see how it is working out. I don't think the gas milage is any better than any other full size truck. Probably 17-18 on the hwy at best.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-23-2011 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I like the cab roominess size of the full-size trucks and the quality of the Taco Truck....what a dilemma :?:

Then show some class and buy a chevrolet
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2011 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ged, no rocks thrown at my Canadian friends... You asked where does GM fit in this 'quality' truck conversation... an opinion, right?

Based on my thoughts after hearing from so many here on Nomad... for FULL SIZE pickups...

Ford and Dodge tie for #1

The 2nd Generation Toyota Tundra (2008+?) #2

Nissan Titan and Chevy/ GM tie for #3 (Although I would get the Nissan over any GM product, any day.)

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2011 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Ged, no rocks thrown at my Canadian friends...

All taken in jest, David. No worries;)

These are the opinions I am asking for....muchas gracias, amigo.:saint:

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.