Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Immigration at Gurerro Negro
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I always suggest to visitors that they obtain their cards at Otay by walking across, getting the card, and returning through the US pedestrian lane. Takes about 15 minutes.

Where is it you park on the U.S. side exactly?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I always suggest to visitors that they obtain their cards at Otay by walking across, getting the card, and returning through the US pedestrian lane. Takes about 15 minutes.

Where is it you park on the U.S. side exactly?

In the US Customs/CBP public parking lot. Take the footbridge over the inspection lanes, cross into Mexico, go to INM/bank/INM, walk across the lanes to the US pedestrian entry line.

[Edited on 9-12-2011 by bajaguy]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 07:10 PM

bajaboy - even though they tell you in TJ that the "bank" is closed, it is not true. walk up to the window and KNOCK. the person will pop up from sleep and take your money...I am not sure why they tell you it is closed (siesta time ? break time ? sleep time?) but they are open 24/7.

We have gone thru the declare lane before to get our FMM and never had to unload - thank goodness because it would take waaay longer than 2 hours and Les wd be very mucho mad.

we shall be going to guerrero negro this week and can ask what the spray is ...

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
bajaboy - even though they tell you in TJ that the "bank" is closed, it is not true. walk up to the window and KNOCK. the person will pop up from sleep and take your money...I am not sure why they tell you it is closed (siesta time ? break time ? sleep time?) but they are open 24/7.

We have gone thru the declare lane before to get our FMM and never had to unload - thank goodness because it would take waaay longer than 2 hours and Les wd be very mucho mad.

I have knocked on the window many times...they said the office was now closed and that we would have to pay elsewhere.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

I have knocked on the window many times...they said the office was now closed and that we would have to pay elsewhere.

So if they don't want to take our money anymore where they issue the things... and they say you can 'pay' before you come back home... Then the unpaid FMM is good enough at Guerrero Nego, apparently? I mean If you enter Mexico on the weekend, when banks are closed... and head south... there is no way to pay before reaching Guerrero Negro. This needs to be tested! :light::smug:

Even if we wanted to try and pay, we couldn't before Monday if we happen to be where a bank is! Rediculous!!:lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

So if they don't want to take our money anymore where they issue the things... and they say you can 'pay' before you come back home... Then the unpaid FMM is good enough at Guerrero Nego, apparently? I mean If you enter Mexico on the weekend, when banks are closed... and head south... there is no way to pay before reaching Guerrero Negro. This needs to be tested! :light::smug:

Even if we wanted to try and pay, we couldn't before Monday if we happen to be where a bank is! Rediculous!!:lol:

As I stated earlier, I plan on checking back with Immigration in a few weeks on my way back down. The guys in there remembered us, thanks to the kids. Maybe the bank is open again but it was very clear that the bank was closed in June. Maybe it was temporary....or not. I would love to hear from others who have crossed since then.

gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 03:41 PM

I just went through last week at San Ysidro and after reading all of these posts, I can also confirm that the parking is a problem because the only way to get to the lot is to go through the lanes where they will inspect your car. They seemed to be inspecting every other car and as I approached the agent, I told her that I just wanted to get my tourist visa. She let me make a U-turn and then go the opposite direction to park. It was pretty crazy but it seemed to be their system because I watched other cars do the same thing, too. I then went to the wrong bank (there are a few) and ended up at the Banjercito window, which is about 3 windows down from the immigration office. They told me that the bank is open 24/7; this was at 2:00 in the afternoon. I have been there before late at night and the bank has always been open, so I would be surprised if it was closed since they're always quite happy to take the fee. The biggest issue, frankly, is if you're trying to bring things down and don't want your car searched; I got lucky, but I could see how they would go through your car just being in that parking area. I don't see any way to get around that; just luck of the draw whether they're going to search you. But assuming that you're not bringing much down, then you should be fine.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
I just went through last week at San Ysidro and after reading all of these posts, I can also confirm that the parking is a problem because the only way to get to the lot is to go through the lanes where they will inspect your car. They seemed to be inspecting every other car and as I approached the agent, I told her that I just wanted to get my tourist visa. She let me make a U-turn and then go the opposite direction to park. It was pretty crazy but it seemed to be their system because I watched other cars do the same thing, too. I then went to the wrong bank (there are a few) and ended up at the Banjercito window, which is about 3 windows down from the immigration office. They told me that the bank is open 24/7; this was at 2:00 in the afternoon. I have been there before late at night and the bank has always been open, so I would be surprised if it was closed since they're always quite happy to take the fee. The biggest issue, frankly, is if you're trying to bring things down and don't want your car searched; I got lucky, but I could see how they would go through your car just being in that parking area. I don't see any way to get around that; just luck of the draw whether they're going to search you. But assuming that you're not bringing much down, then you should be fine.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully our last experience with the bank was an anomaly.

We normally cross about 5:00am so things are a bit quieter. After getting our cards, we ask someone to take a look at our truck before leaving the parking lot. They do a cursory look, ask a few questions, and we're on our way.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 06:46 PM

Are they still asking you to get out and push the red/ green light button as you exit... even after they do a search?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Are they still asking you to get out and push the red/ green light button as you exit... even after they do a search?

No they just wave us through and smile.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 07:26 PM

my same experience a week ago. see you there in 35 days, Zac. Neptune (tuna) willing...

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
my same experience a week ago. see you there in 35 days, Zac. Neptune (tuna) willing...

I'll probably just miss you... returning around the 5th.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 07:52 PM

10/21-31.....

btw, the racks are still enjoying the ride.;D

[Edited on 9-14-2011 by woody with a view]

SMG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2011 at 08:54 PM

I'm crossing next week, spending the next 3 months in BCS! The truck will be pretty packed with all our gear, so avoiding a search would help my travel schedule.

I was planning on picking up the tourist card the day before by walking across the border at SY. Any reason not to do this? I'm planning at least a day in San Diego to coordinate anyway, so a couple extra hours walking the border should be fine. I'll be solo, if that matters?

I'm hoping to cross early and make it to Santa Rosalilitia the first day. I assume it should be pretty quiet to just get it first thing in the morning, good idea with a pick up with surf boards and a motorcycle on the back??
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2011 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
I haven't been asked for my tourist card at GN since maybe 1998.

Try leaving it at home on your next trip, that should do the trick.:lol:

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2011 at 11:11 PM

At 7 in the morning I have found the bank office on the TJ border open but with no one in sight. Waited a few minutes and eventually the guy awoke to take my money.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-18-2011 at 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SMG
I'm crossing next week, spending the next 3 months in BCS! The truck will be pretty packed with all our gear, so avoiding a search would help my travel schedule.

I was planning on picking up the tourist card the day before by walking across the border at SY. Any reason not to do this? I'm planning at least a day in San Diego to coordinate anyway, so a couple extra hours walking the border should be fine. I'll be solo, if that matters?

I'm hoping to cross early and make it to Santa Rosalilitia the first day. I assume it should be pretty quiet to just get it first thing in the morning, good idea with a pick up with surf boards and a motorcycle on the back??

Welcome to Nomads SMG. Getting your tourist visa the day before would be a good idea for no other reason than it will be one less thing to worry about the morning of your "launch". There may be a long line to cross back to the US at San Ysidro. There are often people with 19 passenger vans offering people at the back of a long line a ride to the border for 5 bucks, it's well worth it on a hot day. They get to go in the bus lane and drop you off at a separate entrance.

Santa Rosalilitia shouldn't be a problem for the first day drive. Where in BCS are you heading?.....dt

btw: in a pickup with surf boards and a motorcycle on the back they will undoubtedly be waving you over to have a look anyway, you might be just as well off going in the "items to declare" lane, getting your visa and driving out of the parking lot. Sometimes they don't even look......and sometimes they do, no problem either way. Make sure you have the title and/or registration for the motorcycle, they may or may not want to see it.

[Edited on 9-19-2011 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
SMG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 08:46 PM

Thanks dt for the welcome and great advice! I figured to cross the day before and have one less thing to do in the morning, but if I'm likely to be inspected, I'll just get the tourist card at 6:00am. The couple other times I've passed through SY at first light it's always been mellow. This will be my fourth drive and fifth trip to Baja, each time for a longer stay and this time driving solo. I'll be sure to bring the papers for the bike, good call. It's an enduro that I just mounted surf board racks to, and I'm stoked for the fall down south!

We'll be in Todos Santos for most of the time. My almost 3 year old (her 3rd trip!) will be in the Montessori school, so we'll stick close to there. Although we'll make trips to the east cape and hopefully Scorpion Bay will get some late season swells!

Thanks again, I appreciate any and all advice from the veterans here!

[Edited on 9-21-2011 by SMG]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 09:52 PM

If you are planning on getting a room in Santa Rosalilitia you might check with woody about how to find the "motel". There isn't a sign or anything, you just have to know where it is. I rode in there once and was able to spot it but only because I saw a picture of it in a trip report, I think it was pink. If you're camping no problem.

I assume that you chose SR to stay a few days and do some surfing? If you are just going to spend the night and move on you would be better off pushing on to Guerro Negro (If I didn't spell that right DK will be along soon to set me straight).

Have a fun trip, maybe we can get together in TS some day for a beer....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
If you are planning on getting a room in Santa Rosalilitia you might check with woody about how to find the "motel". There isn't a sign or anything, you just have to know where it is. I rode in there once and was able to spot it but only because I saw a picture of it in a trip report, I think it was pink. If you're camping no problem.

I assume that you chose SR to stay a few days and do some surfing? If you are just going to spend the night and move on you would be better off pushing on to Guerro Negro (If I didn't spell that right DK will be along soon to set me straight).

Have a fun trip, maybe we can get together in TS some day for a beer....dt

GUERRERO NEGRO

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.