Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9
Author: Subject: QUESTION ABOUT TIRES
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 07:12 PM

yes it will give me some comfort that I am not alone

the last trip was my ( I think about the 6 trips to Gonzaga)

3 times from San felipe and the other ones from HWy 1

first time was in 1975,, PT Final
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 07:15 PM

Glad ya got it fixed... but, must say I'm suffering sticker shock over tire prices for a set for a Bronco ... hell, the Bronco only cost $ 1,700 ... just saying ... luckily the Bronco see very little service... NOB

Anybody got some pic's of the "road" ... would like to see what your talking about... may have seen before ... but, will just ask.. thanks

[Edited on 12-7-2011 by wessongroup]

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 09:15 AM

DK would have some ;photos of the road before the payment started
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
DK would have some ;photos of the road before the payment started

There was the first road... built in the late 1950's that followed Arturo Grosso's pilot trail he built using dynamite and a dozer or some other machine to win the prize awarded by the governor (about 1955 I think). This connected his Laguna Chapala ranch to San Felipe. There was a road to the sulfur mine and Arroyo Matomi, but that was it before Grosso.

After the government built their first road to Gonzaga, the Anmericans in their Jeeps began to arrive (we did in 1965, the first time). That road was very steep in several places south of Puertecitos... A local man and the truck drivers would make small repairs to it, but it was a very tough road.

After the Baja Highway was completed (at the end of 1973), most traffic and supplies for Gonzaga came in from the south, to use the new highway... the road south from Puertecitos got worse and worse with lack of maintenance. I last drove it in 1979.

1974:

1975:

1979:

The last photo is in Calamajue Canyon, which from about 1961 to 1983 was the main routh of 'Mex. 5' to the south, being a better road than the shorter route to Laguna Chapala.

In 1986, the governement built a new 'dirt highway' from Puertecitos south. For the first time, 2WD vehicles could safely drive to Gonzaga from Puertecitos. A new graded road was built about 1983 from Laguna Chapala to Puerto Calamajue, and where the 1986 and 1983 roads met, 'Coco' made his 'Corner'.

The 1986 road was maintained to about 2005, but deteriorated after that and became very rough to drive. It was as slow to drive as it had been in the days of the original road.

July, 2005:

Feb., 2007:

In 2008, a new paved road was begun from Puertecitos south... it was slow going due to the rugged terrain. The highway is a first class road, with shoulders and bridges... built to last.

Sept., 2008:

Pavement ended less than 2 miles from Puertecitos.

The Pemex at Gonzaga was built in 1999, but not openned for many years.

July, 2010:

Pavement ended 18 miles from Puertecitos (just south of El Huerfanito). Road construction continued about 6 more miles.

Between Gonzaga and Coco's Corner

The last photo is the road between Coco's Corner and Laguna Chapala

July, 2011:

Pavement ended 24 miles from Puertecitos, and road construction continued south for 8 miles, leaving just 10 unimproved, rogh miles to Papa Fernandez' where the maintained road began again. By December, 2011 those last 10 rough miles were reported as being regraded and pavement was advancing.

At Laguna Chapala/ Hwy. 1:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 02:25 PM

Thanks DK ... some great history and pictures ... and a little taste of how it used to be ...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Thanks DK ... some great history and pictures ... and a little taste of how it used to be ...

Fun for me to share! Some day, I will get one of those scanners that can scan slides onto a computer... I have so many slides from the 1960's and early 1970's of our first Baja trips... I would like to see them again, and I bet some of you would enjoy a look at the old dirt road days of Baja! We drove the main road in 1966, all the way to the tip! Took 2 weeks... then came back via the new ferry to Mazatlan and the mainland paved highways.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 03:39 PM

Would be a lot of work, but worth it... used to have a lot of slides from the same period ... but our house caught fire in 1983 and I lost them all ...

The old dirt road ... that is putting it kindly .. had a couple of friends that lived in Mazatlan in the mid 60's ... got down a couple of times..

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Fun for me to share! Some day, I will get one of those scanners that can scan slides onto a computer... I have so many slides from the 1960's and early 1970's of our first Baja trips... I would like to see them again, and I bet some of you would enjoy a look at the old dirt road days of Baja! We drove the main road in 1966, all the way to the tip! Took 2 weeks... then came back via the new ferry to Mazatlan and the mainland paved highways.

My son just bought one of those converters that turns slides into digital images--------it takes groups of slides up to about 50 and converts them all to digital automatically. I can't remember the name of it (Braun, I think), but it was made in Germany and costs $1,600. The cheaper ones we found are labor intensive, and handle only one slide at a time----a nuisance for sure. It sure is neat, tho, having all your old family slides on a disc, or in your hard drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Multimag-Transparencies-Technolo...

Barry

[Edited on 12-7-2011 by Barry A.]
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup

Perhaps Nelson's down on India Street would be able to do those slide conversions for you inexpensively.

Might call Julie there. She's cool and knowledgeable about all that stuff.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 06:24 PM

Barry, bring it down! :light:

Cisco, I do believe that Costco also offers a slide conversion service... My fear is that half of them will be inverted... and I will need to flip them manually on my PC... I don't know? I have a lot, but not a ton of slides... A Baja Nomad from Alaska (AkBear) also sent me his slides that I might enjoy (someday) when I get a machine or have it done... It's all about $$ right now... :(

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Hankook DynaPro ATm a really great on and off road tire that is quiet on the highway... Available as a P or LT rated tire.

David
I am going to buy some new tires real soon, I cant live with mine any longer,, where did you buy yours, as you know I am in Yuma, might be hard to find here
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
David
I am going to buy some new tires real soon, I cant live with mine any longer,, where did you buy yours, as you know I am in Yuma, might be hard to find here

Hankook tires difficult to obtain in Yuma? With a major distribution plant in Fontana/Colton, CA?? I am puzzled. America's Tire will install these and you will get a free rotation/balance every 5k miles.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hankook DynaPro ATm a really great on and off road tire that is quiet on the highway... Available as a P or LT rated tire.

David

I bought them just a mile away from my house in Oceanside... and there is another Hankook Tire dealer the other direction about 2 miles away that offered an even lower price than I paid the first place. Just check all your local tire dealers, I am sure you can find them in Arizona...?

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 05:14 PM

"BIG O TIRES" in Yuma (out near the airport) should be able to get you HANKOOK tires, according to their on-line ad.

Barry
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
"BIG O TIRES" in Yuma (out near the airport) should be able to get you HANKOOK tires, according to their on-line ad.

Barry

funny that is where I went today,, Quote from them is,

as I wanted a 3 ply side wall tire. they said the only one available for my truck was the BFG???

and they quoted my for replacement BFG $1121.08

I just dont want to spend that much again for tires, but I want a good tire that will take me off road, i dont do any extreme any more
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 08:25 PM

Quote:

funny that is where I went today,, Quote from them is,

as I wanted a 3 ply side wall tire. they said the only one available for my truck was the BFG???

and they quoted my for replacement BFG $1121.08

I just dont want to spend that much again for tires, but I want a good tire that will take me off road, i dont do any extreme any more

Sadly, the price of tires is going up. I will be upgrading my tires later this year, and I know the prices will be just shy of $300 per tire as well.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 12:48 AM

Never had a sidewall failure with any of the 2 ply sidewall tires I have used, but did on brand new BFG All Terrain TA 3 plys (on a sandy road)... Just ask Amo Pescar!!! 3 ply sidewalls are way way over rated... at least from BFG. If you don't need a heavy load rated tire, you can get 4 Hankook Dynapro ATm's and installed for about $600, out-the-door... 265/75-16s.

Pay more for an LT rated tire, if you can and want it.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 09:06 AM

thanks David I will look into it, I will shelve the 3 ply for now.

on another thread, at one time you mentioned Cooper tires
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
thanks David I will look into it, I will shelve the 3 ply for now.

on another thread, at one time you mentioned Cooper tires

I run Cooper tires on all my vehicles and never have had a tire falier. I have a set of Cooper Discovery A/T/R's on my Suburban 4x4 that I use mostly as a tow vehicle they are three years old and show little wear they are extreamly quite on the road and provide excelent traction. and if it means anything to you they are made in AMERICA:yes::yes:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 09:30 AM

Thanks DK and others for good feel on tire's and price considerations... as it is a bit of money for tires ... IMHO .. but then, I'm half Scottish ... :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 1-7-2012 by wessongroup]

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.