Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: El Volcan no longer exists as we once knew it
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 04:34 PM

The current Keystone pipeline was predicted to have on average 1.4 leaks every 10 years. They had 14 in one year. 100 times what was predicted.

Safe, huh?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 04:36 PM

Having to hire welders based on affirmative action quotas?:?:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 04:40 PM

The leak rate is really not the issue. Just one catastrophic leak could pollute that aquifer. And the US would be taking that risk so the Canadians can sell their oil to countries other than the US.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Seriously, liberalism IS a mental disorder!:rolleyes:

dk: nobody listens when you argue via insult!

good day!
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 04:41 PM

We need it. Drill It.:yes:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 04:42 PM

we need it! learn how to conserve! :light:
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Lou, barite (baryte) which is what the mine produces is not hazardous. ....

In its natural state it isn't hazardous, but when mining it a plethora of dust is produced. When hauling it...especially since the majority of those trucks in Baja don't cover their material...barite dust comes from the trucks.

Breathing that dust even for short periods of time is considered a health hazard. That's why the Hazardous Sheet for the material contains the warning:

PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN HANDLING AND STORING Avoid breathing dust. Practice reasonable caution and personal cleanliness. Launder contaminated clothing before reuse. Store in a cool dry area

and:

IARC Monographs, Vol 68, 1997, concludes that there is sufficient evidence that inhaled crystalline sillica in the form of quartz or crysto-balite from occupational sources cause cancer in humans. IARC classification Group 1. Because of quantity and composition, the
health hazard is small.

That last sentence is important because, again, in its natural state (i.e. undisturbed, unmined, unpulverized) its health hazard is small.

But, to make the comment that it is NOT hazardous in dust form is incorrect.

As for the oil rigs in the Santa Barbara Channel we lived in the area for over forty years. I never liked seeing them, and I was glad that one of the better things that happened during Bush the Elder's term was that a moratorium on new leases went into effect (1990). Incidentally, that moratorium, legistration for which began during Reagan's term, expires sometime this year I think.

Allen R
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Having to hire welders based on affirmative action quotas?:?:

Who knows, most likely they hired the guys that would work for the least amount of money. The tar sand "oil" is sludgy crap. It wasn't considered marketable until oil hit $100 a barrel. It doesn't flow, it needs to be dilluted with other hydrocarbons before entering the pipeline. And even then more pressure needs to be used. It's pure muck and the pipelines need to be designed to handle it.

There is a lot of debate on this number but I've read it costs $75 a barrel to extract. Economies of scale would probably bring that number down, but I'm not sure. It is true it takes a tremendous amount of water and a lot of polluted waste water is produced.

Plus there is a measurement that is the ratio of the amount of energy expended to get a barrel's worth energy. This stuff doesn't do to well in that department.

Getting hooked on tar sand oil will be an expensive and very dirty habit.

[Edited on 3-9-2012 by SFandH]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 05:48 PM

SFandH, I agree.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
The current Keystone pipeline was predicted to have on average 1.4 leaks every 10 years. They had 14 in one year. 100 times what was predicted.

Safe, huh?

You know, a far more challanging pipeline was installed across Alaska many years ago, despite the hysteria of the left that it would destroy the state... Just why do you guys want America to become a third world country... why do you hate prosperity...??

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 05:56 PM

We can and will drill and get our(USA) own oil as soon as we get rid of the liberal anchor around the neck of the USA. Bye-bye Obama!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Quote:
Lou, barite (baryte) which is what the mine produces is not hazardous. ....

In its natural state it isn't hazardous, but when mining it a plethora of dust is produced. When hauling it...especially since the majority of those trucks in Baja don't cover their material...barite dust comes from the trucks.

Breathing that dust even for short periods of time is considered a health hazard. That's why the Hazardous Sheet for the material contains the warning:

PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN HANDLING AND STORING Avoid breathing dust. Practice reasonable caution and personal cleanliness. Launder contaminated clothing before reuse. Store in a cool dry area

and:

IARC Monographs, Vol 68, 1997, concludes that there is sufficient evidence that inhaled crystalline sillica in the form of quartz or crysto-balite from occupational sources cause cancer in humans. IARC classification Group 1. Because of quantity and composition, the
health hazard is small.

That last sentence is important because, again, in its natural state (i.e. undisturbed, unmined, unpulverized) its health hazard is small.

But, to make the comment that it is NOT hazardous in dust form is incorrect.

As for the oil rigs in the Santa Barbara Channel we lived in the area for over forty years. I never liked seeing them, and I was glad that one of the better things that happened during Bush the Elder's term was that a moratorium on new leases went into effect (1990). Incidentally, that moratorium, legistration for which began during Reagan's term, expires sometime this year I think.

Allen R

I took a couple ore samples, and I have to tell you that barite weighs a ton for its size! I don't see any dust if the ore is transported in chunk form... and I can't imagine they would process it down to a sand or dust size at the mine... Stamp mills need power and a place to do that... and La Olvidada is on the side of a mountain, overlooking El Huerfanito and El Muerto islands.

So, the only dust will be inside the mountain of the mine as they are drilling tunnels, and if it is trucked away in rock form, it is dust free... as I said it is both hard and heavy as iron!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

Safe, huh?

Just why do you guys want America to become a third world country... why do you hate prosperity...??

I don't want the United States to become a third world country nor do I hate prosperity.

How did you come to those conclusions?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
I've only heard on one guy lately who DIDN'T use gas or an oil product to get to Baja to have their fun, or get to the market or get the kids to school or get the fish to the packing plant----or------ seems like we need to continue to drill. I'm all for saving the environment, but we have to sacrafice some of it to make life livable. The good old days had Horse pucky in the streets, and we were killing whales to get light at night.

Increase supply or decrease demand.....putting up oil platforms off the coast of Oceanside is not an option in my opinion
:light:

Why isn't it an option? We need the oil and if the oil is there on our territory...

that would be the greatest thing for everyone... if that is where the oil is!

But, we already know where the oil is, and it is on land... land closed by Obama!

Why? Well, maybe:

a) force the price of oil to go up (what he has publically stated he wants to happen)... he needs to force people to buy his GM electric cars... and

b) ... (fill in the blank)...

Hey DK,

Bill O'Reilly and Fox News seem to agree with Obama and gas prices. See for yourself: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/video-fox-news-defends-president-...

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 10:41 PM

Bill O'Rielly is wrong this time. He really does not understand the oil market very well. (not that I do, you understand)

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 11:10 PM

Ah yes, oil pipelines are much improved since the 1960's. :rolleyes:

Here is the Yellowstone River just last year after a "safe" Exxon pipe line leaked 42,000 gallons of oil into the river.

Photo Credit Larry Mayer/AP

Guess that could never happen to the Ogallala Aquifer.

OK, but the company says it will create about 20,000 jobs! Opps, a report from the Cornell University Global Labor Institute
reports that it would only create between 2,500-4,650 temporary positions for two years, and probably only about 50 of those would be permanent jobs in the US. They also state that in the long run, the project might kill more jobs than it creates. They also report on the likelihood of leaks. The Cornell Report

But I guess Faux news has more credibility than Cornell University.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 11:53 PM

I don't care what Fox or MSNBC or any network says... common sense, logic, and more freedom for all Americans is the basis for my opinions.

Emotions, fantasy, and more power to the federal government are what seem to motivate liberal opinions... just saying.

Why do you want us to move closer to what the Soviet Union was like with these failed ideas???

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2012 at 12:16 AM

Quote:
I don't care what Fox or MSNBC or any network says... common sense, logic, and more freedom for all Americans is the basis for my opinions.

Emotions, fantasy, and more power to the federal government are what seem to motivate liberal opinions... just saying.

Why do you want us to move closer to what the Soviet Union was like with these failed ideas???

Ah yes---more freedom for all Americans---the freedom to pollute. As Michele Bachmann likes to say, the EPA is a job killer! Ah yes, the Cayahoga River had to be beautiful when it was on fire.

And Yes, the oil spill on the Yellowstone was emotion and fantasy.

But I just can't figure out what failed ideas that have been expressed here would lead us toward the long gone Soviet Union? I do believe that is a classic example of "Begging the Question" in standard logic.

BTW---liberals believe in a strong work ethic and strong unions to promote fairness and the middle class ---including the idea that those with health issues should be accommodated in the workplace. That is something to which you might want to give some serious personal thought.

[Edited on 3-9-2012 by DianaT]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-9-2012 at 07:00 AM

i just don't understand why an "all of the above" energy policy has done less to keep the price of gas,oil, heating oil down. they say we are importing less foreign oil (thereby implying that prices should come down) as we are in the midst of a slowly evolving recession.

the energy secretary has said we should be paying european prices!?!? does he want to permanently kill off this country?

the administration is paying wind farm operators to reign in production because the infrastructure to distribute it is not up to par. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/07/wind-power-compan...

ethanol uses more resources to produce it and gives less btu's than a comparable gallon of gasoline.

solyndra was given 1/2 billion dollars of our money when they couldn't compete.

there needs to be a hard look at subsidizing all of the above industries, oil included. if we are going to help out oil companies, they should be required to flood the American market with ALL of the oil they produce in America to keep the price low in America before they are allowed to sell on the open market/oversees.

without oil the human race would still be living in log cabins, riding horses and growing most of their own food. for some that is ideal, but it's hard to sustain 300 million people with a community garden.

[Edited on 3-9-2012 by woody with a view]

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2012 at 07:02 AM

Liberals grab the credit for all the positive things and conservatives get blamed for the negatives, disasters, etc. Yea, those "occupiers" are the cream of the liberal crop. On the other hand you have the conservative "tea party"...:yes:
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.