Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 07:45 AM

who said Doc wasn't smart?:light:

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 07:46 AM
What???

........"Dennis, PBR has sedimental value for me, as it was my standard house beer during my Denver years. Pacifico now occupies that throne........."

Sedimental...???????........wonder what the sediment is from????

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 08:05 AM

Old wordplay joke from my Irish grandfather, Frank Sr.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 08:12 AM

Chose La Palapa Restaurant for dinner Saturday night after a stroll through the fun town of Loreto.

I enjoying walking on vacation, especially after lots of hours on the road behind the wheel. Window shopping and sticking my nose into cafes and restaurants lets me get to know a new town better. The good shops welcome you even though your body language indicates "just looking".

If I can get a peek at the menu and prices, strike up a friendly conversation with the greeter and take in the scene, I can make a reasonable guess as to the restaurant's fit to my whims of that particular evening.

La Palapa served seafood and traditional mexican dishes. They also have an outdoor grill on the street edge of the establishment. This is a smart way to gain customers with the odors drifting toward the sidewalk for passersby.

Looks like La Palapa seats about 75 people and there were only 2 other tables being served this night.

She ordered grilled white sea bass that came with a nice fresh salad. I ordered the seafood c-cktail. Bohemias were our refreshment.

Only downside to Loreto is the construction around the malecon. Asking for direction in Mexico is usually challenging, but, the construction here makes that extra tricky. La Palapa is located 2 blocks south of Hotel La Mision and 1 block west.

I will definitely go back to sample the other menu items.

Apologies for the weak photo. Took it Sunday morning when they were closed.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 08:35 AM

Hotel La Mision had its breakfast thing going on, but, I’m not a fan of most hotel restaurants. Give me a small neighborhood cafe for my coffee and a breakfast that I usually don’t make at home.

Cafe Ole in Loreto seemed to collect every tourist in town this Sunday morning. Every table except one was full in the little Mex eatery that seats about 50. They have about 6 tables out on the sidewalk underneath the palapa roof as well as indoor dining.

Only goof by Cafe Ole was running out of coffee, twice! The Sunday rush put them a bit behind on coffee making and food service. No wait staff here. Haul your bunz up to the counter, choose from dozens of traditional Mex breakfasts and lunches and they will call your order number when ready.

WiFi internet is available.

I enjoyed a ham omelette with chilaquiles, beans and home made tortillas. It was a perfect, inexpensive and simple breakfast before getting back on the road.

Noticed the 7AM – 10PM Lunes – Sabado hours. Wowzers that’s a long day of food service for the staff. Cafe Ole is located 2 blocks west of Hotel La Mision and 2 blocks south.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 08:37 AM

"The great Baja restaurant Tour" continues.
Thanks, doc.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
........"Dennis, PBR has sedimental value for me, as it was my standard house beer during my Denver years. Pacifico now occupies that throne........."

Sedimental...???????........wonder what the sediment is from????

Los Angeles water.....no doubt.
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 09:20 AM

You have seen one Pemex and you have seen them all, right? Not so fast, Gidget.

Some have the friendliest attendants. A few have very clean bathrooms. More and more have cafes and 7/11 stores attached so that you can fill up, get some supplies, get some spiffy flavored coffee and ease you bladder bloat before heading down the road.

We got our ice at Loreto's super mercado “El Pescador” to cool down our day beverages for the road and our happy hour supply of XX, Bohemia, Indio and PBR. I knew there was a Pemex out on Hwy 1 on south end of town.

Missed the entry as this Pemex is on a side street parallel to Hwy 1, so I doubled back against the grain.

Our female attendant was not happy to see us. I got no greeting, no “zeroes” etiquette to show me that I was not paying for someone else’s gas and she spoke not one word. Maybe she had a rough Saturday night?

My galpal and trip navigator decided to test the rest room. No papel. The male attendant feigned a surprise at this announcement. Of course, no papel would be forthcoming.

In addition to my portable coffee service for this trip, I travel with toilet paper. You never know when nature calls.

On this morning, upon last minute inspection of my hotel room bath for personal items, I “refreshed” the Pontiac Vibe’s toilet paper supply with Hotel La Mision’s finest. This proved to be a lucky move, due to the unfriendly Pemex low bathroom accessory inventory.

While the bathroom drama played out, my female attendant asked her male colleague to clean my windshield. zzzzz. Nada.

Paid for my gasoline and off to La Paz we went. No Pemex smile, no food/supplies, no coffee. Had to clean off the smashed butterflies from my windshield myself, too.

Guessing the two less-than-thrilled Pemex employees were so unhappy that they must be man and wife.

[Edited on 10-29-2012 by bajadock]

[Edited on 10-30-2012 by bajadock]

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 08:35 AM

Caught food, beverages and World Series game 4 at the Tail Hunter Restaurant in La Paz.

They make a very potent marguerita at Tail Hunter. Also enjoyed a mixed seafood c-cktail and ceviche.

We were greeted and asked what sporting event we wanted to watch. Futbol, football and baseball were on the menu for tonight's viewing. I had an interest in both the Giants v. Detroit baseball game and the Saints v. Broncos football game. Our host brought us up to the second deck where the main screen was the World Series and a secondary screen had football.

Chatted up several gringo boaters and sailors at Tail Hunter. Seems like the snow birds are invading La Paz now that the weather temperatures are moving toward mild.

Weather and sunset were perfect. I lost my baseball bet and have to pay that off in beverages later in Cabo San Lucas.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 08:42 AM

Looking for a trail of Rheinegold Beer cans around the table, Doc, when all I see are a pair of award winning legs and two waiters that can't take their eyes off of the owner.
When do we get to see the rest of your co-pilot?
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 08:51 AM

Found a room at El Moro in La Paz for one night.

At less than $100/night and located on the east end of the malecon, El Moro is a bit weak in quality. I would not stay here again. It was ok, but, I'm guessing La Paz hotels with more comfort would be dying to see me.

Beds were rock hard. Shower pressure was "peeing with an 80 year old prostate" strength. The room was full of mosquitoes and noseeums that enjoyed our blood.

Pool was a nice temperature, though a bit dirty. Restaurant opened form 7 - noon for breakfast. Coffee was good.

This was our 4th night on the road and I'm feeling a bit more tired than the 300 mile per day average driving should influence me. The only thing I can guess is that hauling everything out of the Vibe, then unpacking, then repacking and stuffing the Vibe each morning is a bit inconvenient.

Will solve that minor problem with 3 nights in Cabo San Lucas.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Looking for a trail of Rheinegold Beer cans around the table, Doc, when all I see are a pair of award winning legs and two waiters that can't take their eyes off of the owner.
When do we get to see the rest of your co-pilot?

DENNIS, that is why they named the place "Tail Hunter".

I don't think I have ever quaffed an RG in my illustrious beer drinking history. How does it compare to PBR?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

I don't think I have ever quaffed an RG in my illustrious beer drinking history. How does it compare to PBR?

It's a photo finish. :lol:
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 09:24 AM

How does a gringo get lost when driving from La Paz to Cabo San Lucas? I'm blaming my co-pilot!

Drove west from the La Paz malecon at the La Paz VW dealership with the "Highway 1/Cabo San Lucas" sign. After a couple of miles of traffic, neighborhoods and retail, we entered the open spaces. I commented that with no other sign than 5 miles ago, I was less than confident about our route.

Upon descending a mountain pass and seeing blue water, I was now very concerned. We should not be seeing water only 30 miles or so south of La Paz. In another few miles we came upon the small town of San Juan de Los Planes.

Asked a cop attending to a school letting out its kids for the day. We had taken route 286 out toward Bahia de Los Muertos. That was a minor inconvenience and my map easily pointed the way to San Antonio and Mex Hwy 1.

Was surprised by the traffic in San Jose del Cabo. Saw the airport location and shortly after that, found myself driving along the water. This is my first-ever visit to Cabo.

Our hotel is on the water in Cabo San Lucas. As it appeared to be a "fall out of the car" from highway 1 location, I did not print a map of the hotel's location.

We soon found ourselves inland and in an industrial area mixed with housing that did no exactly speak "welcome, gringos with money".

Meandered back to find a downhill street toward the water and we were in downtown Cabo. But, we dead ended at the east side of the marina.

Asked for directions three different times, before finally finding our hotel. It was easy to miss. The sign for Hotel Finisterra is 6" x 12" hidden on a brick wall.

After some drama at check in with the concierge, headed out for food and beverages on a relaxing evening.

scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 10:01 AM

Interesting "how easy" it was for you to find route 286 out of LA Paz. We had to search, ask people and finally follow a guy who said he was going that way, so we could get to El Sargento and points east.

You are who you pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut jnr
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 03:06 PM

route 286 was found by taking the turn away from the water at the VW dealership on the main drag.

Other than costing us 30-40 minutes, the ride was beautiful and the scene dropping down from the hills toward the SOC was nice.

One warning is that 286 was full of potholes. Quited down from my usual 70-80mph into a 50-60mph mode to detect the potholes. I'm guessing that those beaches are fairly remote and undeveloped.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 04:33 PM

This the location of today’s happy hour at Hotel Finisterra in Cabo San Lucas. This is the best Cabo San Lucas Beach Happy Hour I have every enjoyed. ……………………………………………………………..it is also my FIRST!

Wifi is quality speed and available at the pool adjacent to the beach. The bar, below the big honkin’ palapa roof, serves major league margies to ease the stresses of the day.

After today’s cafe on the malecon, we took a long walk there and on to the beach. Enjoyed my first visit to “The Office”.

Just had a massage on the beach.

Got a solid locals’ recommendation for our next seafood restaurant within walking distance of our hotel. Will review that one as well as last night’s cuisine and after-dinner beverage emporium.

Noticed that the best and reasonably priced places are just north of Lazaro Card##as(hwy 1).

scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 04:41 PM

El Sargento and La Ventana are the mecca for Kite surfers, good beaches and nice little towns. Small hotels and plenty of decent eaterys. They're not really remote and I'm not sure what I'd term undeveloped.

No condos or resort hotels and spas, that's my idea of overdeveloped.:)

We'll be heading there in 3 weeks. Flying down this time, to San Jose then driving. After visiting Rowdy at the Downwinder we'll go south again via the East Cape.
Lets see ya do 70-80 on that road...WooHoo! :D

You are who you pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut jnr
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 04:43 PM
the FIN

One of the "old" hotels and is famous for it's bathroom...enter fred and barney !!! LOL:lol:
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 12:59 PM

Finding Hotel Finisterra in Cabo San Lucas was a challenge. My navigator had only taxi cabbed her way around in previous visits and this was my virgin voyage. My Pontiac Vibe does not have Mexican chipped GPS on board.

Our(ummmm....MY) first mistake was not printing a map for the hotel. Second mistake was getting distracted by construction on Hwy1 that led us west of town into an interesting 'hood.

We were at an elevation that allowed us to see the town center and the water, so we headed that way. But, now, we found ourselves on the east side of the marina and malecon. We got 3 different instruction on how to circumnavigate the marina and find Hotel Finisterra.

We unknowingly passed by the hotel entrance 3 different times. How? A sign on a large stone wall for Hotel Finisterra is a whopping 8" x 18" to indicate the location. How a massive property like this could have such an understated street presence amazes me. Maybe they are going for the private club or secret society motif?

Registration was a bit hectic. My navigator and co-pilot had made the reservation via an internet special. Needed to go back out to the car to get the internet reservation confirmation.

Then, they asked for passports. That was another trip back out to the car.

An especially exuberant fellow with the name tag "Ricardo" introduced himself as "Rick, your concierge". Rick welcomed us and asked if we would like complimentary beers. DOS Dos Equis were ordered and Rick returned with one XX and one Corona. Co-pilot enjoyed her XX and I declined the Mexican bottled water, also known as Corona.

We got our passports back, finished up the registration paperwork and were headed toward the car, when the front desk clerk announced that he needed our passports again. He forgot to photocopy them for record-keeping.,

Rick showed up again to let us know we could sit down with him to learn about all of the activities available. I'm just not a sit-down- and-listen-to-staff-sell-me-stuff kind of guy. And we had unpacking and a cooler of cold beverages waiting for us. So I did ask Rick for a bathroom and a Dos Equis.

Bathroom was down a hall, around the elevators, down a staircase and around the elevators. Very secure bathrooms here. Had success with my bladder break.

Got back up the stairs and Rick excitedly greeted me with a Corona. "We have no more Dos Equis, but, please enjoy a complimentary Corona.". I must have given Rick my best ugly gringo look possible.

Parked car, unloaded in a few trips and got to my first Pabst Blue Ribbon of the evening. But, my cooler was needing a refreshed ice supply. No mention of ice was found in the room's hotel guide.

Notice that I have not yet mentioned the beautiful lobby, clean tile, gorgeous setting, green gardens, spacious room and spectacular views. As I have written before, hotels are sheets and a shower for me. All of that other stuff just does not grab my attention.

As I usually do, I avoid the small ice buckets and de-garbage bagged the room's garbage can in pursuit of ice. Went downstairs to the lobby. My buddy, Rick, greeted me.

I asked Rick if there was an ice machine.

"What are you doing with a garbage container?"

"I'm looking for ice."

"Come on, that is too large for ice. Let me have someone bring a small ice bucket up to your room."

WOW. I have never been busted for abusing my ice privileges before. A second staff member mentioned the ice machine down the hall to the west. But, Rick corrected him, because that ice machine has been broken this week.

A third staff member intervened. There was an ice machine available down the east hall. I thanked him.

As I was headed toward my ice supply, Rick let me know that "You and your wife need to come sit down with me in the next hour to discuss our activities."

Uhhh, ummm. sure, that's the very next thing that we'll do. Gawd I'm an ugly gringo!

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.