BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: National Geographic Baja Expedition NEEDS YOUR HELP!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 12:31 PM

''SUPs will be delivered to us in BCS and I think we will leave from Loreto and head south in the Sea of Cortez.''

.....be sure to take a couple of patio-umbrellas for sails,,usually a good breeze from the north!:biggrin:
whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 02:45 PM

Just like our friends Erik, Sarah and Tyler!

http://adventureblog.nationalgeographic.com/2012/08/27/three...

whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 06:02 PM
fishing rods?

We're trying to make a final decision on fishing equipment. It needs to break-down, relatively lightweight, sturdy and dependable for months of shore-fishing. We are inexperienced when it comes to brands. Any ideas?

We're looking at something like Cabela's salt striker line...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest
We're trying to make a final decision on fishing equipment. It needs to break-down, relatively lightweight, sturdy and dependable for months of shore-fishing. We are inexperienced when it comes to brands. Any ideas?

Here ya go:

http://tinyurl.com/ab6uhct
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 06:13 PM

works every time :lol::lol::lol:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 06:32 PM

I would ask the locals to show you their spots and what they are using...depending if you on the ocean or the Bay...don't listen to these wise "crackers" here.
Quote:

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I would ask the locals to show you their spots and what they are using...depending if you on the ocean or the Bay...don't listen to these wise "crackers" here.
Quote:

If they wait until they can ask the locals, How are they supposed to buy their equipment. You deliver?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
don't listen to these wise "crackers" here

Heyyyyyy....this is no place for racist remarks. :lol:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 09:00 PM

i'm sure the locals would sell them equipment there, or for a price let them borrow it...for a price.
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Quote:

If they wait until they can ask the locals, How are they supposed to buy their equipment. You deliver?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 09:48 PM

Quote:

Sounds dangerous......you should take "the" doctor with you, just in case, of course :lol:

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 09:53 PM

No Terry, I think they need you for security, you never know what they might run into...I am fine staying in my own zone of comfort..which is near modern conveniences.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 09:54 PM

Quote:

Go to bloody decks website. They will tell you what to bring and teach you some salty fishing lingo. Also is another place to troll for audience members for your reality show.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:00 PM

Quote:

Ronko pocket fisherman, 15 lb test line and some lures for surf fishing. Seriously, light enough to backpack, and expensive enough to lose and not care. Works ok
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:16 PM
We're trying to make a final decision on fishing

First off.......do you know how to fish? It's not all about throwing in an line and hoping for a hit. Any of the guys over in the BN's Fishing Topic will lecture you about that.

Few things at least to know is........what fish to go after at what season of the year. What is the habits of fish. Live bait verses lures. Current to water temperatures.

Bottom fishing and surf fishing is the easiest. .......but you need to know about that too. It's NOT just about what rod or type of line!

As I said before........you guys are poorly planned, sounds like not much experience on primitive exploring. Y

You still have not publish any sort of game plan here. Certainly you MUST have a drawn path that you are going to take.......Sorry...I still say you guys are just looking for a free vacation. This so called "walking Baja" is nothing compare to Graham's trek (he actually walked it without a crew... feeding and bathing him each night).

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:29 PM

As I said before, McFez, these guys, from what I have read about them, are clearly looking for an adventure. I don't think they know much about Baja, but one thing they are capable of is speaking enough Spanish to ask for the nearest taco stand or motel if all else fails. If they start their trek soon enough, they will avoid the heat and they are young and healthy enough to probably make it. They are from Malibu, Pepperdyne University. I think they are asking things cause they really don't know, sort of like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Disneyland...the more off the beaten path, the more exotic, the more appeal it has.
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
First off.......do you know how to fish? It's not all about throwing in an line and hoping for a hit. Any of the guys over in the BN's Fishing Topic will lecture you about that.

Few things at least to know is........what fish to go after at what season of the year. What is the habits of fish. Live bait verses lures. Current to water temperatures.

Bottom fishing and surf fishing is the easiest. .......but you need to know about that too. It's NOT just about what rod or type of line!

As I said before........you guys are poorly planned, sounds like not much experience on primitive exploring. Y

You still have not publish any sort of game plan here. Certainly you MUST have a drawn path that you are going to take.......Sorry...I still say you guys are just looking for a free vacation. This so called "walking Baja" is nothing compare to Graham's trek (he actually walked it without a crew... feeding and bathing him each night).
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:44 PM
You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula!

Well Doctor Baja.......
Their announcement from the beginning said "You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula! " That's my beef with this whole thing. They are not. They are using transport for all of their equipment .....and whatever else. Hell......I at age 59 can walk the Baja too, as they claim to be doing. Walk a few miles....and presto...there's a crew with camp set up, din din hot and ready....perhaps a DVD to watch.

No no........their opening statement (using Graham as a reference of name in the post) made it sound like they are toughing it out. No donkey....just a fully equipped motor-home.

Ask for Pay Pay was another blunder. These guys have no idea of the cost.....no finale planning....and asking for money? No no!

Hell...I keep asking for them to post some very simple information here about the path they are planning to take....what type of crew and vehicle.......all to no answers.

Something(s) dont add up with all of this.

Quote:
As I said before, McFez, these guys, from what I have read about them, are clearly looking for an adventure. I don't think they know much about Baja, but one thing they are capable of is speaking enough Spanish to ask for the nearest taco stand or motel if all else fails. If they start their trek soon enough, they will avoid the heat and they are young and healthy enough to probably make it. They are from Malibu, Pepperdyne University. I think they are asking things cause they really don't know, sort of like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Disneyland...the more off the beaten path, the more exotic, the more appeal it has.
Quote:

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
First off.......do you know how to fish? It's not all about throwing in an line iand hoping for a hit. Any of the guys over in the BN's Fishing Topic will lecture you about that.

Generation Y is just like previous generations: has youthful enthusiasm that can overcome naïveté. They will do fine, they got smart phones and spot and can call mom, dad and nomads if they run out of frijoles or huevos.

Heck, I did stuff like this before we had the Internet to look up instructions :lol:;D
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:54 PM

Quote:
Well Doctor Baja.......
Their announcement from the beginning said "You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula! " That's my beef with this whole thing. They are not. They are using transport for all of their equipment .....and whatever else. Hell......I at age 59 can walk the Baja too, as they claim to be doing. Walk a few miles....and presto...there's a crew with camp set up, din din hot and ready....perhaps a DVD to watch.

No no........their opening statement (using Graham as a reference of name in the post) made it sound like they are toughing it out. No donkey....just a fully equipped motor-home.

Ask for Pay Pay was another blunder. These guys have no idea of the cost.....no finale planning....and asking for money? No no!

Hell...I keep asking for them to post some very simple information here about the path they are planning to take....what type of crew and vehicle.......all to no answers.

Quote:
Quote:

Mcpez:
The money angle is creative. Don't fault anybody who can figure out how to get a paid vacation! More power to them !

Nothing wrong with taking Sherpas. Smoke em if you got em
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 11:02 PM

Well shoot McFez, you don't expect any guys from Malibu used to comfort creatures to rough it all the way now do you? They might have a bright idea there. They won't be wearing themselves out, can take breaks and showers, and get a good night's sleep, they might make it after all. Look at all those survivors shows...they have camera, crew and first aid available. This will certainly not be the Blair Witch Project II...
Quote:
Well Doctor Baja.......

Quote:
Quote:

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Well Doctor Baja.......

Quote:
Quote:

I find it odd that you think it's so noble to donate a wet suit but here you are questioning these guys for asking for a free ride...:?:

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.