Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: thwarted attempted thugging/ la ribera
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer
Over News Years we were heading north about 5 miles past the LA bay turnoff and a guy was pulled over with trunk up waving an empty anti-freeze jug. We slowed and kept going, almost stopped. There was no one around and we were solo. Sorry not going to do it. I had my wife and two young boys. In the old days I would have stopped and made sure he got going again. I sure felt bad about it but oh well.

You did what you had to do. Times have changed and others depended on your judgement.
Someone came to the guy's rescue.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 10:50 AM
Critize this

I have NEVER stopped to offer help to any car stranded on the road that had Mexican Plates.

I have been stranded along the road several times and ALWAYS been helped by someone with Mexican plates but never by anyone with US plates.

Bob Durrell
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Volcano. Thank you for informing us of your 'incident'. for the 'untrusting'. Never mess with a 'woman's intuition'. I've found them to be more right than sorry too late. Had she taken the 'other' decision, perhaps she wouldn't be here today telling us about it. After over 25 years of driving from tj to Loreto/cabo, and sometimes twice a year, I'd like to think I've seen it all. But I know I haven't. Nor do I want to find myself in her shoes. I'd have done the same thing. Better safe than sorry!!!

Over the years we have learned to trust intuition, be it mine or be it John's. We have stopped to assist several people along the highway, and other times we just drive on by as it just doesn't feel right.

Again, volcano, you followed the path guided by your intuition and assessment of the situation. Really glad you didn't have to end up with blood and bruises for anyone to believe you. :o

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 03:21 PM

"Es el sentir ahorita para asustar a la mierda de la gringa"

"Dame otra (burp) chela, Pancho"

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 11:03 AM

yes, the eastcape is a wonderful place to live. Sad that a few bad things are happening here and there. the innocence was bound to end , sometime. If I were a Paranoid type, I would not be going and staying way out at my cabin alone for weeks at a time. The man started tailing me on the paved road, at the end of the developed area of La Ribera. There are many places along that stretch where one can see ahead for a couple of miles. I always pull over to let faster cars by where applicable. There was no need here. Nothing was hanging off my car. My thoughts are that he was looking for an easy mark, and when I did not cave, he thought better of it. Never in my wildest imagination would I have expected to worry about my safety on this stretch of road.
I am one that stops to offer help to broken down rigs, and I do pick up hitchhikers!
DC61

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 06:53 PM

You were wise to keep moving and not stop. I love it when the Monday morning quarterbacks are trying to tell you how you were overreacting. Believe in your intuition. At 60 years old you have had plenty of time to listen to your guy feeling. From your description I am certain the story would have been different had you stopped.
Your safety is always the number one concern. I have told my wife and daughters that when they get a flat tire on the freeway to drive well off the freeway to a safe location. If it is at night drive until you can park under a streetlight. I will gladly buy a new tire and rim.
I have worked as a fireman for the past 28'years and I have spent a great deal of time in Baja. Your story gives me the chills. Did you overreact? Some may say you did. Hopefully I have impressed upon my wife and daughters to react the same way you did if faced with a similar situation. Glad you are able to tell the story!!!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.