Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Baja Cactus
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 10:53 AM

The last time I stayed at the Baja Cactus, last year, it was the same as always; great room; dog friendly (after all the years, they even remember Paco as an old friend); best rates; adequate parking; DSL Cable.

For me, the time of arrival is important. Whether it be northward or southward, El Rosario is just the right location for arriving just before dark.

I sometimes ask if Antonio is in town. If he is I go say hello. I am forever grateful to him for his quick concern and attention when I got horrible food poisoning from eating crab (Jaiba) tacos in Mama Espinoza's.

I was happy to donate to the Itzel fund and was absolutely delighted with her successful outcome. I also donated to the other Antonio fund, the family of the poor taco stand woman (Can't remember her name) who was gunned down and killed in her own restaurant. That's the way I nourish my "bleeding heart". :yes:

I am hoping that the recent bad reports here were one time anomalies. At the same time, if the hotel is slipping, its reporting here should be a valuable wake up call to Antonio that maybe he needs to check into it and take care of business. The BajaNomads have been major clients and disseminators of good will. I would hate to see that good will reversed unless it is deserved.

Antonio???
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
sorry about the taco hijack but if you want a recipe.

http://1000tacos.com/2011/01/beer-battered-fish-taco-ensenad...

That's a gringo fish taco, if it were a real Baja fish taco they would serve radishes with it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
If you want a 4 star hotel go to Cabo. :spingrin::spingrin:

Do I need to remind y'all that there is a much, much nicer hotel in Catavina? don't be a penny P-ncher, stay in Catavina.

Yes it is very nice but not for almost 3 times the price.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
... That's the way I nourish my "bleeding heart". :yes:

TA,
It is your "kind" heart....a "bleeding heart" is one found in a person whose heart is bound by selfishness, fear, and lack of compassion....and it bleeds when opened even a little. :saint:

Some learn to be kind early in life:

http://www.wimp.com/helpingout/

...others grab the puck...

[Edited on 3-21-2013 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 02:44 PM

Motoged,
Who is "TA"? Is that for Toneart? You can call me Tony as do most who know me on this forum. If you don't like that, then "Sir" will do.

Your sentence structure is awkward. I am not sure what you are saying, or what your intention is. Odd that you would focus on that out of the whole post. I believe the topic is the Baja Cactus Motel. I wanted to remind Nomads of Antonio's (the owner's) empathy in the face of great need and tragedy.

I use "bleeding heart" as a satirical term used by those who don't understand a gesture of Universal Love. It is often used as a criticism by Right Wingers. I say "Universal Love" because it is was extended to total strangers who were in need; not personal friends or family.

Here is the Wiktionary definition: Adjective

bleeding-heart-

Considered to be over-sympathetic to the supposed plight of the underprivileged or exploited. Over-sympathetic? Is there such a thing? Well if that defines me, I will gladly accept it. I am certainly not ashamed of helping out the two causes that Antonio organized.

Edited to say: Maybe I did use "Bleeding Heart" as a troll. Because your post was not clear, I need to know your intention to see if I was successful. Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-21-2013 by toneart]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 03:17 PM

Sir Tony;D

My intention was to recognize your compassion and my appreciation of it. I understood and picked up on the sarcasm...as well as how some folks look down on what you and I may see as kindness and caring for others....

I was responding to your statements of you helping others....

I know that the thread was started as a review of the motel and we both added our reviews. I took the liberty of doing what Nomads frequently do: morph a thread with tangential comments.

I apologize for my awkward sentence structure.....sort of my flow of consciousness style that erupts when grammar is secondary.

My intentions were honorable and respectful. I am sorry that didn't come through in my post.

You can call me Ged.....

P.S.

We might play for the same team :saint:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
My intentions were honorable and respectful. I am sorry that didn't come through in my post.

I thought it did. :yes:
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Sir Tony;D

My intention was to recognize your compassion and my appreciation of it. I understood and picked up on the sarcasm...as well as how some folks look down on what you and I may see as kindness and caring for others....

I was responding to your statements of you helping others....

I know that the thread was started as a review of the motel and we both added our reviews. I took the liberty of doing what Nomads frequently do: morph a thread with tangential comments.

I apologize for my awkward sentence structure.....sort of my flow of consciousness style that erupts when grammar is secondary.

You can call me Ged.....

P.S.

We might play for the same team :saint:

Thank you so much for your reply, Ged! I really read it all wrong and I apologize. Glad you're on my team.

Tony:yes:
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I thought it did. :yes:

But you're smarter than me, Dennis! :yes:
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 05:53 PM

Tony,
I acknowledge that some of my contributions to the forum have been hostile and that I can come across as critical and opinionated (because I am being critical and opinionated :biggrin:)). Such a demeanor has alienated me from some and likely has created the impression that I am like that all the time...and folks may think I am always going to be on their case.

Well....I am not like that all the time....but tend to be like that when I am impatient with certain positions taken by others (eg. political, racist, or simply stupid....as another Nomad says, "Life is tough....and is tougher when you are stupid"). Some of my comments are made to encourage folks to just take a moment to think "how else it could be".....perhaps an unsolicited and arrogant role, but one I will take from time to time.

I really like the Baja Cactus motel as it has served me well and I don't have any complaints. Some Nomads are more fortunate than me as they travel back and forth to Baja on a much more frequent basis than I can....and have more of a baseline from which to draw comparisons. As such, they have voiced their comparative motel opinions. The good thing about that is that I learn of different places to try out or avoid....

I try to not complain about anything I experience in Baja (except deep sand and siltbeds :wow: ), as I feel it is a privilege and a luxury to be there and enjoy what it has to offer.

I am trying to "play well with others" more often....

[Edited on 3-22-2013 by motoged]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
But you're smarter than me, Dennis! :yes:

Just more beat up, Tony. That's all. :lol:
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 08:25 PM

Stayed at the Cactus last week and have NO negatives to post, only positive response from me. Called down driving thru LA and booked the room and it was clean and ready when we got in there at 8:00 PM with my Black Dog "Hank" and my wife..."Poopsie"....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 11:07 PM

Quote:
Tony,
I acknowledge that some of my contributions to the forum have been hostile and that I can come across as critical and opinionated (because I am being critical and opinionated :biggrin:)). Such a demeanor has alienated me from some and likely has created the impression that I am like that all the time...and folks may think I am always going to be on their case.

Well....I am not like that all the time....but tend to be like that when I am impatient with certain positions taken by others (eg. political, racist, or simply stupid....as another Nomad says, "Life is tough....and is tougher when you are stupid"). Some of my comments are made to encourage folks to just take a moment to think "how else it could be".....perhaps an unsolicited and arrogant role, but one I will take from time to time.

I really like the Baja Cactus motel as it has served me well and I don't have any complaints. Some Nomads are more fortunate than me as they travel back and forth to Baja on a much more frequent basis than I can....and have more of a baseline from which to draw comparisons. As such, they have voiced their comparative motel opinions. The good thing about that is that I learn of different places to try out or avoid....

I try to not complain about anything I experience in Baja (except deep sand and siltbeds :wow: ), as I feel it is a privilege and a luxury to be there and enjoy what it has to offer.

I am trying to "play well with others" more often....

[Edited on 3-22-2013 by motoged]

I agree Ged, you are an opinionated old fart, making excuses for it is for youngsters, we have earned our "opinionatedness" (is that a word?) I also know that you are always like that but you can fool some of the people some of the time. I can see you standing out there on your front porch with your cane (old Baja silt injury) yelling "hey you kids, get off my lawn!". Don't think for a minute that you fool any of us, we all know that you are sitting on your couch in the frozen north wishing you were in Baja, that's why you are a cranky old fart. BTW, when are we going to go for another Baja ride? I need some new stories to tell....

I guess I got a bit off topic, I like the Baja Cactus motel too......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Just stay at places Joe Bidens stays at.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/03/22/what-se...

Shees, I never thought any hotel room could charge $500,000 a night.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 01:21 AM

Quote:
Just stay at places Joe Bidens stays at.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/03/22/what-se...

Yep, too bad the Secret Service plans this out....just like they've done for every President or VP....so what's your point:?:

Bomberro
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 07:03 AM

Just stayed at Cactus last Wednesday night, called ahead to secure room, they gave me 104, we slept like logs, very nice room as usual, shower floor can be slippery, coffee in room, real shampoo, clean soft towels and wife likes the wash cloths. we have stayed in many different places up and down Baja, thanks to the owner of Cactus for giving us an Oasis in the middle of Baja!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomberro
Just stayed at Cactus last Wednesday night, called ahead to secure room, they gave me 104, we slept like logs, very nice room as usual, shower floor can be slippery, coffee in room, real shampoo, clean soft towels and wife likes the wash cloths. we have stayed in many different places up and down Baja, thanks to the owner of Cactus for giving us an Oasis in the middle of Baja!

Antonio must have gotten the message -- gringoes like wash cloths as evidenced by all motels NOB that provide them.

Now, if only the Cowboy motel get's the message. If only more motels were like Cactus, or even Villa San Quintin. Leave El Rosario and we're roughing it -- until Coco Cabanas in Loreto.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 07:39 AM

ahhhhh, coco cabanas; now THERE'S a nice spot!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomberro

Nice to hear it is the same as always for us, an oasis at just the right place, five hours from the border. With so many sites nearby, it has also been a destination for us.If you want to see some of the sites/ activities in our near El Rosario then visit http://vivabaja.com/tours and click on El Rosario area photos.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 02:00 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah,you could have a personal visit with King Obama with half a million!That's my point!!!!

Or, perhaps, sleep in Lincoln's bed.....dirty sheets and all. [no complaining allowed if there's blood on the mattress]
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.