Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: The Road to Asuncion
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 09:24 AM

Oh...SNAP...! What a great Baja story. Crashing the breakfast table.

If you get a chance please visit the Neuva Panteon and grab a quick shot of Surfdoc's gravesite for me.

Have a great trip. Tell Shari and Juan I said hello.

And Happy birthday Sirena...!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 11:00 AM

Here's another good Asuncion mechanic, Abraham, who does four wheels or two. His place also does recycling by the beach down the hill from the Policia.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 02:47 PM
The Beaches of Asucion!

The is NO scarcity of wide, sandy beaches on either side of Asuncion. You can walk, drive, boat, or ride to miles and miles of beach heaven.

Once you are there, you will find your favorite ...activity. ;)

Some just like getting comfy, then hiking and finding a souvenir shell...

...but I have yet to find a fresh lobster. Of course that does not stop the optimist from still looking.

...or even a couple of sponges. "Hey, now there's a useful find! And my truck is sooo dirty."

Find a whole mess of sea snaaaKES....WHA! No, thank God, these are just some ordinary kelp stalks. I knew it all the time...

Look for and enjoy all the various marine birds found on these lovely beaches.

And watch them fly...as if for no reason at all...just flying around like birds do.

Sometimes there is a very good reason for them to fly...

Malt Seafoam does weird things to Co-Pilot..

One can wonder at what lies on the beach surface?

"Hey Rogelio, what's all this stuff scattered around this spot?

"This? That would be birdchit, you whirling dervish. You scared it outta them when you stormed into them."

Additionaly, one can admire many rock formations and tide pools. What wonders await you?

"Hi ho, Hi ho..it's off to beachcomb I go...da da...hi ho...Hoo boy, what's that over there?!"

Yoo Hoo...you won't believe this!

"Neptune sent you some sign language!"

Hmm...looks more like Davy Jones work..and methinks Co-Pilot again drank too much sea foam.

Anyway, getting back to the activities...you can listen to the BOOM and CRASH....

Marvel at the forces of Nature that could create such a fine pair of arches.

"Arches? Ahem...excuse me? Could I get a pair of those nice arches?? I'm walking the perimeter of Baja and my feet are killing me. Plus I'd like to have a cold brew and find some chicks. :rolleyes:

And in closing this post about Asuncion beach activity...

Me? My favorite beach activity is too walk very slowly into the wind.. and wait for a cold bottle of Pacifico to hit me in the mouth.

BUT HEY, YOU REALLY DON'T NEED ANY BEACH INSTRUCTIONS...RIGHT?

To be continued with some Asuncion café visits and what must have been a visit from a mermaid.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 03:04 PM

You hooked up with some of Asuncion's finest...Chemo's real name is Anselmo which is why we all call him Chemo...way easier. He is the telegraph/bank office guy and a real character. He also has a wonderful Palapa restaurant just up from the Coop food store on the little boulevard there...Marlapa's serves delicious hamburgers and those bacon wrapped hotdogs and the occasional seafood c-cktails!

Pin the mechanic is a famous dude too...boats from far and wide seek out his expertise.

We are missing you Pomp!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 03:08 PM

Nice beach pictures. Glad you had low tide so you could walk to the arches -- and really glad to see Co-pilot keeping those seagulls on their toes while Tommy and Maggie Dog are not there. :biggrin:

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 04:27 PM

You epitomize the relaxed atmosphere in Bahia Asuncion, Roger!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 05:59 PM

Roger

as only you can,, great
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 06:43 PM

That stretch of beach break south of town looks so inviting. We drove by it last Summer -- it went on for miles and miles and miles. Desolate but close enough to town in case of emergency. Next time I'll have to take a trail down and check it out. Look like a good place to get naked. Sorry. Had to say it.

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-15-2013 at 08:47 PM

Not to worry Amigo, Shari has been bragging about her nude beach for years.:lol::lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 08:09 AM
Right on, fellas....Nudity runs RAMPANT in Asuncion

All you have to do is keep a sharp lookout around town.

Be advised that SOME are not as appealing as others....

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 09:19 AM

Roger, This is one of the BEST trip/photo reports in a long time! Gracias Amigo!! You two are having a blast....

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 09:53 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaemma

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 12:21 PM

Long time reader non -poster Great post looking forward to the next one
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaemma
Long time reader non -poster Great post looking forward to the next one

Welcome to posting, bajaemma. Glad you joined in.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 07:00 AM
SHORE FISHING REPORT - ASUNCION

FISHING

"Blessings upon all that hate contention, and love quietnesse, and vertue, and Angling."
Izaak Walton

Shore fishing opportunities at Asuncion are splendid and numerous…but some days are always better than others.

Acting on a hot tip, we went down the shore a ways to some likely looking rocky points on an incoming tide.

On an adjacent point, some local casting enthusiasts were trying their luck.

I try out a new surfcasting rig from a rugged position on some dangerous rocks with treacherous footing, risking my life to put food on the table.

After many casts with nothing biting, I’m slightly disappointed and came to a conclusion, thinking,

‘I’ve been misled and duped. Must be a fishless stretch here…and totally barren of all life, otherwise I’d be hooked up on every cast.’

Co-Pilot yodels from down the beach. “Hey, Rog! How’s the fishing? Like the new surf-rig? What are you catching us for dinner?”

To which I smugly inform her,

“Fishing is much more than casting and retrieving and playing your catch. It's the wind in your face, and the sound of wakening birds as the sun peeks over the horizon. It's discovering the magic in each new place and unlocking the mysteries that lurk there.” …

Co-Pilot shouts back….a little too loudly for my taste,

“WHAT!? So then, you’re not catching any fish at all!? Why not? Those guys right over there are piling them up!”

Okay... It was now time to instruct her in the fine truth of fishermen with quotes from wise men,

"Well, Co-Pilot, the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

I doubt those guys on that next point over there know that many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

I’m catching a lot! It just ain’t fish. Hah! I will bet mucho pesos they don’t know that, right! “

Co-Pilot says, “So…We eat out again tonight, right, nimrod?”

Such is the life of a fisherman. Sometimes the fishing is good; but the catching is bad.” :rolleyes:

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 07:46 AM

yes indeedy...Pompano fit right in here...you make a lovely mermaid amigo! I spotted your truck at Don Ramon's shrimp taco joint...

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 08:20 AM
San Roque, you say? Ah yes...the rest of the story.

SAN ROQUE

A Day Trip to the Village of San Roque.

If you feel the need to escape the hustle and bustle of metro-Asuncion you might consider taking a leisurely day trip to the nearby seacoast village of San Roque. It’s a sleepy little cluster of homes that are mostly there to house abalone fishermen and their families. The short dirt road from Asuncion is just a trifle bumpy, but you can smooth out the worst parts by simply lowering your tire air pressure. Trust me, it’s not bad at all…I never spilled a drop or lost a lime.

After a short drive past a sometimes horse racetrack, plus other exciting views of sand and dirt, you come to the abalone capital of Bahia Asuncion…namely San Roque. Not exactly Cabo San Lucas, it reminded me of the town nearest my childhood home in western ND, where my uncle Ole was fond of saying, “This burg is so dang quiet, you can fire a cannon down Main Street on Saturday night and not hurt a living soul.” Which also reminds me, Ole should be out on parole by now..

Well, it was a dusty ride and we had rinsed our throats with a couple cool brews on the way in, so naturally some of us had to…how do you say…’visit the facilities.’

Viola, yours truly, recognized ‘the facility’ from childhood and Uncle Ole days. Same style, same comfort, same ambiance, same flies.

“Okay group, who needs to go first?

Umm..It could use some air freshener….or maybe plant some lilacs.

Our first checklist item on things to see in San Roque was this church. I was told it had suffered a fire some time ago. Then some pews had another form of burning…as firewood.

Pretty forlorn and barren these days…not even a loft for pigeons to roost.

And then it was down to the beach near where all the abalone pangas were moored. The ab season was due to get started pretty soon and that would change the almost deserted village into a busy place …for a while at least.

For us and now, it was a great place to explore!

“If you’re lucky enough to be at the beach, then you’re lucky enough.”

There was some great curling waves to enjoy….

…and feel them CRASHING onto the beach…

…which had brought lots of ‘treasures’ to be found by our troop…

”Hey, is this part of a body?”

“Sheesh….doubtful that it was human.”

And that's it for San Roque for now. I'm getting hungry just thinking about the next Asuncion Trip installment....tacos at Don Ramons...dinner at Mari's. Can you hear my stomach growling?

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 08:50 AM

San Roque is my absolute favorite place on earth. I could live in a tent there happily for the rest of my life.
Shari's beach house is divine as well!

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 09:04 AM

our cabin was Juan's grandfather's place he built after a hurricaine destroyed his casa on Isla San Roque where Juan was raised!

We missed you at last week's little BBQ!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 10:02 AM
PICNIC TIME AT THE SAN ROQUE CABIN

With our new amigos from Asuncion we all had a great and relaxing picnic under shair y Juan's cabin roof. Perfect spot with a wonderful view of the ocean and island.

I could relax in this place for a spell....no problem.

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.