Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: How Surfers Protect Their Special Places
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2013 at 11:38 AM

ateo-not all of it....(re: don juan)

there are spots that require very particular conditions to work and then you have to get to them. some are not accessible by any kind of road. yes, there are some secrets left here and there.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2013 at 11:48 AM

Pappy, maybe we can hook up for a surf and discuss sometime.

Dewey
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2013 at 12:31 AM

I have been surfing in Baja (mostly central Baja) since 1963. What passed for a paved road ended at San Quintin before the river. There are no secret spots, only easy ones to get too, and harder ones to get too. The harder it is to get too, the less people. Trying to find the hard ones is an adventure, and fun. We used to ask the fishermen where they put their boats in the water. (usually a sheltered bay with a point break) As more people began to show up, we would ask if the road went to the water, and was it possible in our vehicle, and went exploring. I never was at a spot that had not already been surfed by someone else.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-14-2013 at 08:34 AM

I speak only for myself. It's not discovering a surf spot or surfing it by yourself. It about adventure, it's about rolling up on a spot and figuring it out. Surfing midday without worrying about drop-ins, how about the crew working a rotation. Camping on the beach and combing through it. Long walks on the beach :lol:.
How different is Scorpion's and Rincon today as opposed to the 80's. It's more like Rincon. Feel free substitute a major Baja break.
Camp on the beach in So. CA, how many places can you do it?
How about beach access in Northern Baja, was it easier 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s?
How many houses can you see while surfing the premier surf spots now, as the 80's or 90's.
I'm as not saying it can"t be done, but is getting more difficult to do. You need to drive farther. As we drive into a place, the road slowing improves and more venture out to it. The posting of the directions (gps points) of a access road reduces the culling that used to take place. It also speeds the improvement of the road.
Many of us hope that the adventure of a surf trip stays around a little longer. Is it changing, are there more people, is the info. available, YES.
Some of us resent folks that drove by it once, or haven't been in 5 years giving it up. They just need not post.
Nobody here can say that the spots we surfed 10 years ago are same, and if we can we aren't posting them here. The guys that don't do surf trips really don't understand and never will.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-14-2013 at 10:11 AM

hey Ged, thanks for stirring up the pot amigo! it was getting rather bland in here lately.:light:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2013 at 04:32 PM

yeah, Darwin was right! stupidity SHOULD be painful....

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-14-2013 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
hey Ged, thanks for stirring up the pot amigo! it was getting rather bland in here lately.:light:

Woody,
Just tried to add a little humour....rather than my occasional vitriolic attack on stupidity :saint:

When I was a 4-year old living in San Diego, I first saw folks surfing.... and was entranced and hooked. Later, growing up in Canada, the closest I came to it was when I started skateboarding in 1963.....even before skateboards had urethane wheels (Skeet, move over :lol: ).

Now it's motorcycles.....

Now, get back to telling folks where to lick :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-14-2013 at 07:35 PM

I take a different approach: find new places, leave the "discovered" ones to the newbies as much as possible, and treasure the memories.

So, I haven't been back to Cabo since 1982. How's it going down there? Is the Finistera still the largest hotel out on the point? ;D

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 09:52 AM

whale-ista

i don't think you'd recognize cabo and eatsward. i first went to east cape zone in '80. for a while went there just about every year. skipped a couple years and returned there in '94. couldn't believe how much it had changed. motels, golf courses and houses where none use to be. happened pretty quik-especially for baja.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 11:17 AM

Folks,

There is 7 going on 8 billion humans walking this planet currently. Those of us who get out and look to find our spots have grown proportionately. And those who have the $$$ can do it even more effectively. My personal story has to do with a love affair with a wilderness region in Wyoming where I grew up. Guess what, it's still wilderness.......BUT........there's oil and gas wells through all the entry ways and the prairie is dotted with wells and roads that didn't exist just 10 years ago. And everybody in the state cheers for the development and energy independence. I can't explain to my 84 yo dad that they're selling and shipping these resources out of the country and that's the motivation.

It is what it is. No point in being egotistical about secrets and who got where first. Enjoy life and appreciate what you get.

Rant over......

PS. I can Google fly through a 10 day backpacking trip in 20 minutes, soon enough they'll Street View it too........:!:

[Edited on 4-16-2013 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 11:33 AM

Sweetwater....ditto on western North Dakota. Changing so fast you can't recognize it anymore. New roads, thousands of rigs, unbelievable amounts of money for oil leases. Note to anyone looking for jobs....come to ND and go to work immediately. Example: $20 per hour flipping burgers at McDonalds. Downside is...there is no housing left for any reasonable rate.

Boom times? Yes. Ka-Boom times.

As for how surfers protect their secret Baja surf spots, those never were ...or will ever be...secret. They just require some effort and adventure to find, like most of what's great about Baja. Which is good enough.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 11:48 AM
Here's a tip about the best surf breaks.

We all pack in ND. So to protect those favorite surf spots, look up my younger sister.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 02:03 PM

Roger,
OK....I will stand in line.....:saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Sweetwater....ditto on western North Dakota. Changing so fast you can't recognize it anymore. New roads, thousands of rigs, unbelievable amounts of money for oil leases. Note to anyone looking for jobs....come to ND and go to work immediately. Example: $20 per hour flipping burgers at McDonalds. Downside is...there is no housing left for any reasonable rate.

Boom times? Yes. Ka-Boom times.

Perhaps this will bring 'home' back to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Eg2D2BsE4
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 07:06 PM

I wear a cup to protect my special places. Dirt bikers are always happy to share a new route, I don't get the surfer mentality. I'm too uncoordinated to surf so I boogie boarded instead, nothing like instant gratifacation. There's a great left under the Golden Gate Bridge that starts in November on a incoming tide. The water's so cold that it's never crowded. Same with China Beach and Deadman's. I've been on waves that peel off for about a half a mile at Deadman's. Does that exist in Baja?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 07:13 PM

I would have thought sponge would freeze solid up there!:lol:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 03:27 AM

an Emerson quote,

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim
Dirt bikers are always happy to share a new route, I don't get the surfer mentality.

yeah, i've seen the BFG pit in catavina for the baja1000. five foot high spray painted letters on the boulders looks really cool, dude:barf:!

what don't you get?

btw, Ged has first hand info from some surfers regarding new routes, just so you don't think we are all defined by your stereotype....

bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 09:09 AM

My stereotyping comes from what I read on the board. I would never spray paint a boulder anywhere, I might releive myself on one though.

Edit: fer spellin

[Edited on 4-17-2013 by bent-rim]
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 11:28 AM

Sheesh, an insane back to back south swell lights up this amazing peninsula and everyone is stuck behind their computadores lamenting some long lost fantasy?? I have news for you... these ARE the good old days.
Just fire up your baja worthy rig of choice and vamonos mierda...

DSC_2108.JPG - 44kB

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.