BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: The Chatarra Project: a plastic bottle waste awareness project.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Who's throwing all the plastic ? bottles filled with urine and thrown from a vehicles
/quote]

Well, I was going to suggest that it is only guys with a tiny one that will fit inside a Coke bottle....but DT chimed in and admits to at least filling the bottle (not sure what that implies :lol: ), and then disposing of it appropriately.

David, as someone asked, " How do ya do it when driving along #1? ".

Your confession leaves me in a quandry....point and squirt....in the vehicle or behind a cactus???

:biggrin:

[Edited on 5-13-2013 by motoged]

Well ged, Dennis asked how many of us used a "bottle" to pee in, I guess I should have made myself a little clearer: I use a 2 quart mayonnaise jar. I guess it doesn't apply as plastic trash on the side of the road but then again I was replying only to Dennis's question and I did say that I dispose of it properly.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Well ged, Dennis asked how many of us used a "bottle" to pee in, I guess I should have made myself a little clearer: I use a 2 quart mayonnaise jar. I guess it doesn't apply as plastic trash on the side of the road but then again I was replying only to Dennis's question and I did say that I dispose of it properly.

Dilemma solved....gotta eat more mayonnaise :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Get good life insurance, and lots of rescue/ditch gear, Spot, epirb, portable GPS and VHF the best life jackets you can buy and maybe survival suits, you will need it, the ocean doesn't care if you are trying to save the planet, all are treated equal, some unprepared, more equal than the prepared

[Edited on 5-13-2013 by 805gregg]

Yes, yes and yes. We have all you have listed. If it was going to easy and safe, what would be the point.

The Baja Good Life Club - http://www.bajagoodlifeclub.com
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Fernando Jordan and a friend sailed a leaky, ancient 20 foot open sail boat from La Paz to San Felipe during the summer back in the early 1950s. If you read Spanish, you might want to pick up a copy of the resulting book (Mar Roxo de Cortes. In addition to being a good read, it might provide some clues as to what you might expect.

Baja Tripper, this is terrific, thank you. Leí español un poco de buenaMar Roxo de Cortes. Any information you can provide that is useful is much appreciated. We are excited to see what he saw, and in many places it is as unspoiled now as then...

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
I think this whole pee bottle idea is a bunch of nonsense.

You are wrong. THE BOTTLES ARE ON THE HIGHWAY and a lot of them. My wife and I walked 850 miles of Baja roads last year from May to July and we saw hundreds of pee bottles; not a couple, or 25, but sadly hundreds. You see a lot more walking then when you're not driving by at 65.

I'm sure it's all nonsense.

How can someone think spray painting their name on the beautiful rocks at Catavina, will make it more beautiful - But they do.

Why would someone throw all their trash over their fence, or down the arroyo in their own neighborhood? - But they do.

Why would a fisherman that lives off the sea, empty an oil can into his outboard, then throw the can into the sea. - But they do.

None of it is nonsense.

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It appears to be that the materials you are using are unlikely to stand up to a marine environment. [Edited on 5-13-2013 by monoloco]

The entire trip is less than 30 days and most parts are being covered in either marine epoxy or marine hull paint. I think it will be fine. Boats are made of wood, steel, aluminum, cement, so we are not using anything not used before. Even the plastic bottles have been used before:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastiki

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
It was fun running into you two (figuratively speaking) two times last summer on your trek down the peninsula. I hope you'll stop into the harbour when your craft makes it down to Mulege. Our little town will be a good place to rest up and re-provision.

Your efforts are exceptional, and I thank you and admire you. Please be safe.

So very nice to hear from you. Yes, we absolutely remember, the road side snacks where awesome! You were heading home from a shopping trip in La Paz. Seems we saw you again in San Bartolo. Thank you for the nice comments, we appreciate it very much and you can count on us catching our breath in Mulege. Send me an email and I can let you know as we get closer. We are going to have two way satellite communication the whole trip. We will also need some help in Mulege locally, so if you want to help let us know.

Check out this great picture of two Baja Angels:

[Edited on 5-17-2013 by mexicoliving]

akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 08:24 AM
similar bottles along US highways

I believe I see similar bottles along US highways. plastic bottles with light yellow contents.

this post should have been earlier in the listing where the contents of some bottles was discussed, and assumed to be truckers disposing of liquids instead of stopping for a pee break

[Edited on 5-14-2013 by akshadow]

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
I believe I see similar bottles along US highways. plastic bottles with light yellow contents.

this post should have been earlier in the listing where the contents of some bottles was discussed, and assumed to be truckers disposing of liquids instead of stopping for a pee break

[Edited on 5-14-2013 by akshadow]

look at this and assume use of a pop bottle?
http://www.strangenewproducts.com/2006/03/portable-urinal-fo...

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
(Mar Roxo de Cortes. In addition to being a good read, it might provide some clues as to what you might expect.

Thank you again, I think this book is great. Here it is online:
http://www.kilibro.com/book/preview/51945_mar-roxo-de-cortes

Also, you can get a print version at Amazon, which is what I am going to do, to add it to the my Baja book collection.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
Quote:
I think this whole pee bottle idea is a bunch of nonsense.

You are wrong. THE BOTTLES ARE ON THE HIGHWAY and a lot of them.

I'm sure there are, but I question what you say about enough discarded bottles of urine to pose an ecological dilemma.
I just don't believe it. Form any scenario you see as supportive of your endeavors, but this is implausible. In order for this to be fact, I would postulate that your trek along Highway-One would have been knee deep in beer cans. Was that the case?
That may be an inaccurate assessment as I'm full aware you can't litter aluminum, and that's for the same reason your efforts should be directed......more financial reward for recycling. Give a Peso for an empty and you won't see any on the roadside......especially full of urine.

What is your message...your method to alleviate the plastic problem anyway? is it a "just say no" approach? Just stop littering?
Trash is trash. What are the rural inhabitants, the fish camps, supposed to do with their trash? Save it?
They're doing what they've always done with the stuff. They toss it away. Technology forced upon an isolated community is the problem here. Not so much the people of the land who are brought into a consumer market full of non-biodegradable containers. They have very few choices in the procedure.
I'm looking forward to a trash free world, but I believe that has to start with manufacturers....not consumers.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 09:31 AM

I am totally in agreement with that last statement..not likely to happen tho..

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
Quote:
Fernando Jordan and a friend sailed a leaky, ancient 20 foot open sail boat from La Paz to San Felipe during the summer back in the early 1950s. If you read Spanish, you might want to pick up a copy of the resulting book (Mar Roxo de Cortes. In addition to being a good read, it might provide some clues as to what you might expect.

Baja Tripper, this is terrific, thank you. Leí español un poco de buenaMar Roxo de Cortes. Any information you can provide that is useful is much appreciated. We are excited to see what he saw, and in many places it is as unspoiled now as then...

Jordan is my favorite Baja author--too bad he died so young. If you make it that far, I'd recommend you make a stop at Pardito Island--it continues to be an interesting place to visit (if you make it there, tell them "les manda saludos el Esteban"). It's located between San Jose and San Francisquito Islands in the northern Bay of La Paz and is well worth a stop. Can't say I know much about the rest of the trip he made as I'm more of a land lubber myself.

If you haven't already, you'd probably do well to read up on his passage of Punta San Francisquito up by El Barril in the northern Gulf. The people Jordan spoke to seemed to think that was a pretty scary passage and required some before thought. But I'm sure a bunch of boaters will probably say it's a piece of cake they don't know what Jordan was talking about.

Good luck with your trip

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
[
Jordan is my favorite Baja author--

I'm unfamiliar with Jordan, but curious.

I'm also unfamiliar with this word, "ROXO" and in spite of my best efforts, am unable to find it anywhere.
Initially, I assumed a root that would indicate the color "RED."

Any help??

"Mar Roxo de Cortes"
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
july in Baja doesn't give brownie points for torturing yourselves in the heat. what's wrong with december?

Noroestes, that's what. No fun to be out on the sea when one of those blows down the Gulf.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
[
Jordan is my favorite Baja author--

I'm unfamiliar with Jordan, but curious.

I'm also unfamiliar with this word, "ROXO" and in spite of my best efforts, am unable to find it anywhere.
Initially, I assumed a root that would indicate the color "RED."

Any help??

"Mar Roxo de Cortes"

Fernando Jordan was a young man from Mexico City who studied anthropology and thought it would be cool to make it more accessible to the general public and so went into writing for newspapers and magazines with a heavy emphasis on the people he encountered in his travels. At some point the magazine he worked for sent him out to Baja and he fell in love with the place, buying a ranch at San Juan de la Costa just north of La Paz.

He's best known for writing El Otro Mexico, which was a book about Baja written in the late 1940s and based on his trip down the peninsula in a surplus WWII Jeep he bought. The book was originally a series of articles that were incorporated into book form. It won several awards in Mexico and became an instant classic, although, to my knowledge, it has yet to be translated into English.

Unfortunately, Jordan was a deeply troubled man and is said to have taken his life one rainy night while staying at the house of friends in La Paz, I think that was in 1956. I say "said" because some believe he was killed by enemies who didn't want his next book to be published.

As for the origin of "Roxo," I believe I've seen that spelling of "rojo" in early Jesuit accounts of the peninsula, but I don't have an exact reference for you at the moment. If it's important, I can get to looking it up.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
As for the origin of "Roxo," I believe I've seen that spelling of "rojo" in early Jesuit accounts of the peninsula, but I don't have an exact reference for you at the moment. If it's important, I can get to looking it up.

Thanks, Steve. It's not important. My assumption goes right along with your explanation, so I'll keep on assuming it's correct.
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 09:14 PM

Rachel gets fitted for the tiller and pedal station:

John and Steve inspecting the wheel:

One side of the pedal bar that is connected to the wheel:

Reinforced steel tubing:

Tiller control:

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 05:49 PM

You need some welding classes or experienced welder, if you are going to risk your life on this venture

[Edited on 5-18-2013 by 805gregg]

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 09:35 AM

Ignore the critics here...some of these folks have nothing better to do than tear other folks down...most of them could not find Mexico on a map!!
Push on you are an inspiration to lots of people....

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.