Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: [b]MEXICALI PLOCIE[/b]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot

The difference is when I am guilty I am paying a fine, if I am not guilty I won't pay, that would be mordida...different circumstances, no contradiction at all..

Fines are meant to go into maintenance of the system; not the cops pocket. Isn't that one of the main issues with mordida?
I see a huge difference.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I'm with you bajaboy, I won't pay mordida either.

I fail to see the difference.

Quote:
]Originally posted by dtbushpilot
My policy is this: If I did it (and I usually did), I negotiate my best deal and ask the officer if he would pay my fine for me at the station as I am in a hurry and would like to get on my way. They will usually do that for you.

The difference is when I am guilty I am paying a fine, if I am not guilty I won't pay, that would be mordida...different circumstances, no contradiction at all..

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by dtbushpilot]

Personally......I am against paying mordida also IF it is solely a shakedown and I did nothing wrong.

However, if I am in the WRONG....I can see no harm whatsoever with paying the officer my fine......on the spot.
Pay it to the officer or pay it at the station house (or wherever)
A fine is a fine is a fine.......it does not matter one iota where it is paid IMO.

Some will cry "well that is illegal".....so freakin what?....
So is going over the speed limit or running a stop sign or not using your seat belt.
Do these "holier than thou" crowd screech to a halt and run right over to the nearest station house to proclaim your self righteous "fine me please for I have sinned"?......

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by DaliDali]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 10:16 AM

and Dali...does that go for Police in the US...or only Mexican police?
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
and Dali...does that go for Police in the US...or only Mexican police?

Mexico is Mexico and the USA is the USA....

One thing that blurts out at me right off the bat is.....in the USA, an offender can simply sign a form that he promises to appear in court WITHOUT admitting guilt......or simply pay the fine.
And that simply paying the fine can be done right over the internet.

I do believe that is NOT a choice in Mexico.

However, if you or anyone chooses to take the road more righteous while in MX....please do so.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 10:28 AM

I agree with Dali & DTbushpilot; I know when I have done something wrong and if I do, then I have to pay for it. If I haven't and it's just a shakedown, I won't pay and I convey that to the cop pretty quickly.

It's not up to us Americans to change the way the system works in Mexico. We have that right up here, but not down there.

I know there has been talk about the "Sindicatura" sticker and whether it's effective. Seems to have worked for me; I put one on my car a few years back and haven't been pulled over once since. The ultimate test is Acapulco and it seems to have worked there too.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
However, if I am in the WRONG....I can see no harm whatsoever with paying the officer my fine......on the spot.

Good. Pay him whatever you wish, but don't try to take the situation out of the mordida category. It's still mordida. To call it anything else is self-righteous to a fault.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Good. Pay him whatever you wish, but don't try to take the situation out of the mordida category. It's still mordida. To call it anything else is self-righteous to a fault.

Our interpretations of mordida must be different.
To me, mordida is an offering to an officer or whomever, for whatever, to extract yourself from a bad situation.....such as offering a "bribe" to let you go on your way, even though you might have done NOTHING wrong.
Or it could be a way to simply "facilitate" getting that building permit.

What many are saying is, me included, is that if your in the wrong and you know it.....paying your fine on the spot is certainly something to consider.

Personally, I would much rather see the 200 pesos go to the officer on the street than I would to some local slush fund.
It would be my guess the fine amount would not go to the new radio fund, new tires for the cruiser or new bullets for the officers.

The bottom line is, each to their own and neither option is going to make a dent in how officers conduct their personal way of enforcing the law.
It is what it is in MX, and that is often the reason people choose this way of life here.

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by DaliDali]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 11:09 AM

You can try to call it a fine, if you wish, if it makes you feel better...Its not a fine, its a bribe.....

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 11:25 AM

Quote:

What many are saying is, me included, is that if your in the wrong and you know it.....paying your fine on the spot is certainly something to consider.

And I agree. I said that from the beginning, but, if mordida, from a moral standpoint, is wrong, then it's wrong for everybody who initiates the transaction and just because we get caught blowing a stop sign doesn't make it right.
It's the transaction, not the traffic offense, that perpetuates the procedure, and greed will step in and morph the procedure to what we cry about today.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
You can try to call it a fine if you wish, if it makes you feel better...Its not a fine, its a bribe.....

I would question how can it be a "bribe" or a form of "mordida" when you ACTUALLY owe this fine?....
If you offer the officer 200p or whatever amount.....and he accepts and sets you on you way......all is good by me.

Your guilty as charged......pay the officer or pay at the station.
Now you choose which one would be more expedient to the traveler?

Go back to a station house or keep plugging along in your journey....it's all up to you and those who choose to continue on, should not be disparaged for making a choice of how to handle a traffic offense just because a few find it reprehensible to offer "pay on the spot" and deem those who do.......unworthy of morals or the sense of right and wrong.

This is the way it works here.....like it or not and no amount of high heeled righteousness will make it change.

I really don't care if the officer donates that fine to the "system" or not..It is not my business, nor do I want it to be my business, what eventually happens to the fine money.
If it goes to some tacos that night for his family great.....if not....it is beyond my concern level.

I know I was guilty and I paid the fine.....it's done and I am on my way.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:05 PM

Hogwash! Who made the decision you were guilty? You? If so you knowingly broke a law, and bribed your way out of whatever the "real" penalty might have been. You hopefully are proud of that? Its NOT "Fine money" its a bribe, pure and simple.And you are committing a criminal offense by doing so..I could care less if you want to bribe a police officer or anyone else but PLEASE dont try to convince yourself its its legal or moral....Belly up to it .. I BRIBED A POLICE OFFICER

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:22 PM

Quote:

I would question how can it be a "bribe" or a form of "mordida" when you ACTUALLY owe this fine?....
If you offer the officer 200p or whatever amount.....and he accepts and sets you on you way......all is good by me.

You don't see a problem with the consolidation of cop/judge/jury/cashier into one person?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:27 PM

I always ask them to pay my fine for me at the station, I assume that they do that. I have paid traffic tickets on the spot in the US, I assume that that money gets turned in at the station also. In each case I broke the law, got caught, plead guilty and paid a fine. Where the money ends up is not my concern, my karma is clear and I'm back on my way....probably still speeding....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
I always ask them to pay my fine for me at the station, I assume that they do that.

:lol::lol: You do not. :lol::lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:33 PM

More hogwash....I cant believe these people......

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I always ask them to pay my fine for me at the station, I assume that they do that.

:lol::lol: You do not. :lol::lol:

Well, Ok, you got me there :lol::lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You don't see a problem with the consolidation of cop/judge/jury/cashier into one person?

Not at all.......after all......it's the "way it works" here and you know it

You may not like it, I don't either, but unless you want to make it a one man crusade to make changes......just deal with it and be on your way.

Maybe Chuckie will join you on your crusade?
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
More hogwash....I cant believe these people......

I heard somewhere before Chuckie....

"Let those without sin cast the first stone"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 02:33 PM

Quote:

Not at all.......after all......it's the "way it works" here and you know it

You may not like it, I don't either, but unless you want to make it a one man crusade to make changes......just deal with it and be on your way.

Auschwitz mentality. You have formed an alliance with fear itself and embraced evil. Winston Smith is not happy about your display of submission. :cool:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 03:06 PM

Dennis, they are dilettantes, believing that they are above the law here in Mexico, and unwilling to admit they are criminals...After all, What would Mom say....

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.