Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: GottaPeso
güero
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 01:25 PM

Marla is correct. He was cleaned up and deported. The locals in Cataviña were worried about his health. He was going blind from diabetis and his general health was declining. He didn't drink alcohol. When he was given a beer he would trade for a coke. Coco Cola was his drug of choice.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 02:52 PM

Did he turn in his FMM before leaving Mexico?:?::light:

I seriously wish this Baja urban legend well... Did anyone write down all the things he invented and movie parts he was in???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Did he turn in his FMM before leaving Mexico?:?::light:

I seriously wish this Baja urban legend well... Did anyone write down all the things he invented and movie parts he was in???

mental illness as entertainment for the touristas,... :(:(
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 04:10 PM

Merry Xmas, GottaPeso!

And a Happy New Year, too!

wherever you are.....

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 04:31 PM
Gotta Peso of Catavina

It's certainly no secret that photography is a hobby of mine, and over the last few years I looked forward to visiting with Gotta Peso in Catavina and taking his picture. We kidded each other often. I always asked and I believe he was pleased to have his photo taken for internet viewing. Maybe he thought it helped with his 'fame'...at least I hope so.

Now that he is gone from the scene, I shall miss him...and wish him Godspeed on the road to wellness. A toast to the locals who cared enough for him to get him some help.

He joins the long list of Characters of the Baja Road. Some were legends in time, some were just legends in their own mind. Unique and unforgettable...stuff of Baja...being what they are.

Here's some memories of him at Catavina.

Wishing you well, Gitano.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

This is a job for Greg Niemann. A new chapter for "Legends of BAJA."

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Merry Xmas, GottaPeso!

And a Happy New Year, too!

wherever you are.....

Ditto Deluxe.
Thanks, Woody.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 06:34 PM

gee whiz are we gonna miss this fixture in our neighborhood!!!.....we counted on him greeting us in catavina as we passed through this past decade...really, really will miss him and wish him the best!....i'll never, ever forget the first time we pulled up to the tienda and i told my bride to "take care of this guy" while i bought us a couple of snacks....when i came back out we were marilyn monroes best friends..!!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 07:02 PM

I too wish him well. He told us that his name was Andy, so that's what we always called him. I'm glad that some folks cared enough about Andy to reach out for help, but sad for him at the same time. He must have wanted it, as I can only imagine how the ride north must have been.

I offered him a small fresh yellowtail once. He gladly accepted it, but then had no idea how to cook/eat it. I gave him a few simple suggestions and have always wondered how that went down.

Take care, Andy.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2013 at 06:29 AM

I have great video (2007),need to dig it up, of him telling me about how he invented the "hula hoop" , partying w Marilyn, helping elvis write Blue suede shoes, etc....
As we drove away my son was 8 y/o, he looked at me and said "Dad, did he really invent the hula hoop".........Miss that guy, a true baja folk hero
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-22-2013 at 07:09 AM

HA! I KNEW he was a fake!!!

Elvis didn't write Blue Suede Shoes.

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2013 at 08:35 AM

I have never met the man but always enjoyed reading all the posts about him. I hope he gets the medical attention he needs.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-22-2013 at 09:27 AM

http://goo.gl/maps/ThkxL

gottapeso-googlemaps.jpg - 49kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-22-2013 at 09:38 AM

^^^CLASSIC!^^^

KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2013 at 09:47 AM

He was always harmless and entertaining . Will miss talking with him when going thru town . I have been wondering about his numbered days since a couple of years ago a couple of prominent locals expressed a small amount of grumbling and outrage at the disparity that he was allowed to continue in Catavina and yet the same in their minds would never happen in the USA

I hope he is comfortable and well though I cringe at the idea he may have been substituted the streets of downtown dreg city San Diego for the desert of Baja
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-22-2013 at 11:47 AM

Thanks Doug. That's Feb. 2009. I wasn't aware that Google had done Street Views down there. You are always teaching something new.

And, Kacey, I'm afraid you are correct. My recent experience with dealing with a mental health crisis in California (not mine:no:) did nothing for my confidence that Andy will get more than the regular 5150 revolving door. Access to free emergency room health maintenance, I suppose, might make it worth leaving the mountains if he was that sick.

The most amazing thing to me is that he was the most visible possible suspect for being an illegal alien, and while most of us worry about having an FMM before we get south of Maneadero, Andy apparently found no need for concern for years on end.

I have to wonder how the immigration officers got to Guerrero Negro all these years without routinely driving past a Gringo pan handler who didn't exactly look like he was on his way to Cabo for a tan. :?:

Good Luck Andy, Whammo sends their thanks!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2013 at 08:56 AM

I laugh outloud everytime I remember the story he told us about scuba diving with cheeta (the chimp from tarzan). He actually made the custom dive suit for the monkey.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2013 at 08:58 AM

Some great memories from the conversations with Andy.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2013 at 09:31 AM

The Google Earth thing is amazing. A chance happening now frozen in time. He'll live forever in Cativina now. :wow:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2013 at 10:33 AM

"Clearly he was one taco short of a combination plate"

Gotta love that one! I am going to use that
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.