BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Are you a real person who has been to Baja?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 07:32 PM
Cool thread !!

it's nice to hear from so many old timers!!! we are a rare breed !! funny,, how many times I have been asked "arn't you scared down their ?" and I look um in the eye and say "Ya, I have to get thru LA and so cal to get there.......:lol:
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 07:35 PM

My first memory was in a Toyota minivan and stopping south of El Rosario to make sandwiches on the side of the road for lunch! circa 1991

How things have changed, I wouldn't go south of the border now without good tires, good battery, 4x4, a good set of tools, etc... but that's just me!
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 07:38 PM

Yes someone mentioned over at another site that "playing games" diminishes credibility of a professional. Oh really? When Dennis starts with a wise crack does anyone feel he is less intelligent? When a pediatrician plays with his patients does someone say, "Look, isn't that Doctor acting childish?" Humor is relevant in many situations, and when serious talk doesn't work, a good joke may open the way to effective communication. We all go around only once, so a little levity won't hurt anyone. As someone once said, "Humor is the best medicine." (wasn't that Reader's Digest?) I guess I am dating myself. Is that magazine still around BTW?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 07:47 PM

Someone trying to hide an identity posts a picture of General Pershing from 1916, hmm...on second thought maybe they took that picture...could be the oldest Nomad on the board!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Are you a real person who has been or who is living in Baja, or are you someone who is trying to hide your identity?

I'm not quite certain what you mean by trying to hide an identity but I'm real and have been going to Baja since 1990 approx. 3-4 times a year.
churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 07:49 PM

I have only been a Nomad for a short time because i didnt know the web site existed. My first memory of Baja was when i was about 5 (1969), camping in San Felipe with my Dad. I remember the stop light on the main dirt road intersection had a stop light on wheels that was plugged into the liquor store with an extension cord. At night they would wheel the stop light back in front of the store out of the street.... I have been across the border more times than I can count and have been in most states in Mexico. I go down a minimum of 1 time per year but usually more.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 07:53 PM
ENSA. DR

Hola,, I like your spunk !! MAY I ASK YOUR AGE WHERE DID YOU SPEND YOUR YOUTH ??? caps on again ???@!#$%^&*( Oh ,well....K&T:cool: PS.....TLbaja79....on that toy..what's it like to access the motor on that unit??? LOL

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by captkw]

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by captkw]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
it's nice to hear from so many old timers!!! we are a rare breed !! funny,, how many times I have been asked "arn't you scared down their ?" and I look um in the eye and say "Ya, I have to get thru LA and so cal to get there.......:lol:

Guess being an "old timer" is relative.
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 08:04 PM
!!!!Unreal!!!

Quote:
Are you areal person who has been or who is living in Baja, or are you someone who is trying to hide your identity?

:lol::lol::lol:
Unreal! Just got back to OB after a month in Baja. Started back in the early/mid '60s when I had one hair color. Now I have three...grey, white and gone.

EdZ...will be going back soon.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 08:05 PM

Ha Ha a real woman is timeless, and never tells her age and anyone that knows it better not tell it either..my youth was spent in the Northeast US and Florida for winter vacations.

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 08:35 PM

Growing up in the Toy Minivan was great now! It was terrible then. But I learned a whole lot of Baja innovative tricks. Never would have know to just put a screw in a tire to fix a flat! Or the hundreds of ways to get out of the sand! or..... So it was an adventure... would I ever do Baja in a Toy minivan again?NO! But it was a good time nonetheless!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 08:41 PM

Well Doc. You certainly did spring into the sand box with your lips flapping. I have appreciated some of your medical insights. I won't do 'off-topic' but that environment doesn't seem to put you off and your voice is there too. It just seems like you really need to be HEARD. Now you seem to be suggesting that 'fake' people are trying to make suggestions to you. Hmmmmm. Seems familiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
..... If we could have Doug post a bottle of tequila for like, and maybe Ateo since he brought up the idea of having a like and dislike symbol on a post similar to Facebook, figure out a dislike symbol, well, it might add to the excitement.

Doc,
I really don't like the FaceBookization of our kulture....and would not like to see this board reduced to monosyllabic thinking. Why not have folks attempt a complete sentence with proper spelling?

My $0.02

As for laughter being the best medicine (yes, Reader's Digest)....that reminds me of a comment my late father (a doctor and a great story teller who used that skill in his practice)) once shared: He said that when prepping a guy for a digital prostate exam, he would tell a joke....and the result was a laugh from the patient....apparently facilitating the relaxation of a certain sphincter muscle that allowed for an easier "entrance" to the examination.

:light: :biggrin:

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by BajaNomad]

Don't believe everything you think....
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged....that reminds me of a comment my late father (a doctor and a great story teller who used that skill in his practice)) once shared: He said that when prepping a guy for a digital prostate exam, he would tell a joke....and the result was a laugh from the patient....apparently facilitating the relaxation of a certain sphincter muscle that allowed for an easier "entrance" to the examination...

Yeah, but all the patient wanted was a Bud Light©. :biggrin:

Allen R.

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by bufeo]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 08:38 AM
Looking Back in Baja

Thinking back to the first trip to Baja, I've always referenced a photo from 1950 with my Sis and I sitting on a TJ "Zebra" as the first confirmed date, BUT that was before I saw this thread and saw the Fetus as a passenger angle.

Given that the Old Man was devoted to the Horse Races at Agua Caliente and the Jai Alai games, I thought .............................?

But, that wouldn't work since he was (at the time) cruising the Pacific looking to Nip some of Hirohito's munchkins.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 10:04 AM

Yes what ever happened to the popularity of Jai-Alai? I remember in the early 80's it was a big thing and I enjoyed watching it myself. my dad was a slave to Horse Racing, ha ha. Especially in the later years, at Caliente in TJ.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
..... If we could have Doug post a bottle of tequila for like, and maybe Ateo since he brought up the idea of having a like and dislike symbol on a post similar to Facebook, figure out a dislike symbol, well, it might add to the excitement.

Doc,
I really don't like the FaceBookization of our kulture....and would not like to see this board reduced to monosyllabic thinking. Why not have folks attempt a complete sentence with proper spelling?

My $0.02

^^^^^^^^THAT X 1000^^^^^^^^ (except I'm willing to give spelling a pass -- it's the thought that counts.) As for being to Baja, I've posted previously here and at Amigos (RIP) about my first trip down (1969 in my Dad's cabover camper, to Bahia Coyote) and building a place at La Bocana de Santo Tomas, etc. But hey, I'm not a "real person" -- just an avatar.

BTW Doc, catch any trolls yet? You're using the wrong bait.

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by DanO]

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Thinking back to the first trip to Baja, I've always referenced a photo from 1950 with my Sis and I sitting on a TJ "Zebra" as the first confirmed date, BUT that was before I saw this thread and saw the Fetus as a passenger angle.

Given that the Old Man was devoted to the Horse Races at Agua Caliente and the Jai Alai games, I thought .............................?

But, that wouldn't work since he was (at the time) cruising the Pacific looking to Nip some of Hirohito's munchkins.

One of my first trips was a family trip in the mid 50's to the old Bull ring in TJ. and then to downtown afterwards to mix with the bullfighters (yes, kids were allowed in the bars at that time).
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
(yes, kids were allowed in the bars at that time).

Foreign Club in the 50's......Tossin' a few back with a real Matador. Hemmingway would have loved it. I Know I did.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 10:29 AM

I would never post my real name, photograph, and personal information to a group of strangers on the Internet.

WTF
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
When Dennis starts with a wise crack does anyone feel he is less intelligent?

D, wise cracking? Never heard of such a thing. Some on
this board havea bit more LATITUDE than others, which
is OK by me
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.