BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
"....imagine no religion...."

One of his greatest lines.

You couldn't resist, could you?

Me neither.

The man who sang “imagine no religion” was obsessed with every spiritual and New Age fad that came his way, including Hindu meditation, the I-Ching, and astrology of all kinds....

...or so I read. :rolleyes:

..and now I go to get this computer repaired. It's starting to type some stupid stuff.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
To those posting in this thread, during the 60's and 70's, were the Beatles at the top of your "play list"?

They still are.

You can take a man out of the 60's but you can't take the 60's out of a man.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
To those posting in this thread, during the 60's and 70's, were the Beatles at the top of your "play list"?

They still are.

You can take a man out of the 60's but you can't take the 60's out of a man.

For sure on both counts. The 60-70's were The Beattles....

that and ...for some reason...insatiable hunger

banana split.jpg - 8kB

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 04:37 PM

In looking at my playlist and bands from the 60's and 70's, not one Beatles song made the cut. Jimi Hendrix, Stones, Bob Dylan, Allman Bros., Eric Clapton. The harder edged tunes that were played on the FM stations were what we listened to.

No doubt of the impact they had and the quality of some of their best tunes.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
In looking at my playlist and bands from the 60's and 70's, not one Beatles song made the cut. Jimi Hendrix, Stones, Bob Dylan, Allman Bros., Eric Clapton. The harder edged tunes that were played on the FM stations were what we listened to.

No doubt of the impact they had and the quality of some of their best tunes.

What?? No Frampton??? :lol:

Barry
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 05:55 PM

The Beatles were way overrated. Most of their early music was bubblegum, plain and simple. Later a couple of songs from Paul and maybe a few more from John, but, they just were not the second coming that so many folks seems to believe.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
The Beatles were way overrated. Most of their early music was bubblegum, plain and simple. Later a couple of songs from Paul and maybe a few more from John, but, they just were not the second coming that so many folks seems to believe.

However, many of the actual melodies (without the words) will live forever------incredible melodies!!!

Barry
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 08:01 PM

Quote:

You weren't alive for Beatlemania, were you?

Paul, who represents The Beatles and Wings, still sells out his concerts. Guess people still love bubble gum songs.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 08:23 PM
Mania is for Maniacs

Music is Pleasant Diversion and Entertainers are simply that.

Nothing more.

They aren't Saints.

Not even Perry Como.

Although he came close.

It's not as if they were really important.

Like Baseball Players.

As to Yoko, well .................

They say Beauty (or the Beast ?) is in the Eye of the Beholder.

In her defense, I saw her awhile back saying "Don't Frack Me" and she doesn't look a whole lot worse than she did back then.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 08:35 PM

Whatever..we all have to take our age into the equation. I kind of like the Beatles, but never thought they were in the same league as an Ella, Louis, Anita, Carmen and the big bands, even if some of their songs where rather silly. To me, no comparison.
Probably just the old man talking.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 08:55 PM
Don't Ever Sell Silly Short

In 1940 when Glenn Miller had a number of hits, including perhaps his greatest (In the Mood), he was out-grossed by Kay Kyser's Band.

Silly Sells.

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by MrBillM]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 09:58 PM

Just pretty melodies? I don't think so.

To my way of thinking the beatles were the most creative musicians of my generation. The diversity of their music is really amazing. The rolling stones, for example, were great. But they used the same formula, genre, over and over. That's true of all the musicians mentioned on this thread. The music of the Beatles after around 65 had incredible range, even the pieces on the same record. Truly amazing musicians for about 5 years.

Musicians often are not simply satisfied with their abilities. They want to make a real difference. And try to convey messages that must be said. That was Lennon's downfall. Perhaps it was his inner searching which was so fascinating in his music which became so boring when he found "the answer". The same happened to Tolstoy BTW. His best writing came earlier in life until he became enlightened and started to preach about the perfect man. His latter works were just polemics.

For lyrics: Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, and many others have much more to say .... and say it better.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 10:14 PM

The music of an era…. That’s what makes us remember the 60's & 70's so much...at least for me, anyway.

“Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry….”

For many of us it was some major life events for our young minds....protests, drafts, an ugly war, confused homecomings, then working to create your world... all made when some particular music and group was playing... and because of those tense times the events…with it’s music…were etched forever into your memory.

Sights, smells, and sounds. Very poignant for a few of us.

Sights. "I fell into a burning ring of fire" Johnny Cash.... always reminds me of being caught in a forest fire on Hwy 12, Montana, while on a motorcycle trip from ND to Baja. Very exciting...and lots of sparks.

Smells. Hah! Whenever I smell burning leaves in the fall, I still smile at the memories of the 60's and try to hum a little tune.

Sounds. A locomotive whistle reminds me of younger days when I got the cultivator stuck on those damn railroad tracks..

* edit to elaborate and correct spelling levy-levee..thanks Jim...I must have been thinking of 'to levy taxes'..as happens so often these days. ;)

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by Pompano]

mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
The music of an era…. That’s what makes us remember the 60's & 70's so much...at least for me, anyway.

“Drove my Chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry….”

For many of us it was some major life events for our young minds....protests, drafts, an ugly war, confused homecomings, then working to create your world... all made when some particular music and group was playing... and because of those tense times the events…with it’s music…were etched forever into your memory.

Sights, smells, and sounds. Very poignant for a few of us.

Hah! Whenever I smell burning leaves in the fall, I still smile at the memories and try to hum a little tune.

One of my favorite songs....tells a real story of a generation. I believe it should be "drove my Chevy to the levee" however. I believe the levee referred to is actually a bar. Great lyrics to try to decipher.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 01:28 AM

I was a college aged disc jockey on colorful KBLU radio in Yuma Arizona working 6 hour board shifts on weekends doing an inflexible Top 40 play list. For some weeks, We Can Work it Out, and Day Tripper were #1 and #2 on the charts. 24 times a shift. It wasn't long before the Beatles weren't my favorites!:lol:

As for not being the second coming, that'll be a long wait, but I think the fact that you can't be stuck in a background music environment for very long before hearing a Beatles tune, Mantavani style, says a great deal about their impact on music history.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 07:07 AM
Paul Simon the Sage

"If you took all the girls I knew when I was Single and put them all together for one night, they could never match my sweet imagination, everything looks worse in Black and White"

Hunting in the Bush, so to speak.

Off for a Hunt.

But not Bush.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Whatever..we all have to take our age into the equation. I kind of like the Beatles, but never thought they were in the same league as an Ella, Louis, Anita, Carmen and the big bands, even if some of their songs where rather silly. To me, no comparison.
Probably just the old man talking.:biggrin:

I love the Beatles music...........but, to me, the greatest period in popular music was the swing era, too. The greatest period of melodies and lyrics. Lots of that was bubble gum, as well.

But in my time and in my opinion, the only popular artists that came close (and maybe surpassed) Lennon/McCartney in melody and lyric are Stevie Wonder and Sting. I really feel Sting is the greatest songwriter since the 80s.

Dylan was a great lyricist but Dylan needed to learn economy in words. I thought he forced a lot of lyrics for rhyme's sake. But when he was spare, few could compare. He did write the greatest single song of the rock era, IMO.

The artists that still make my "60-70s-80s era" rock playlist, consistently, are Sting, Steely Dan, Little Feat, Bonnie Raitt, the Stones (especially Exile and Sticky Fingers), the Beatles, Tom Petty, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, lots of other Motown, Dire Straits, Jimi, early Mac, JJ Cale.

But 90% of the music I listen to is sat radio; I dont listen to that much of my recorded music. On XM, I switch from the 40s to Willie's Roadhouse (love 50s-60s country, too, so I am immune to sappiness/bubble gum!) to The Loft for a dose of contemporary music. I listen to The Loft (though not much to Idiot's Delight) probably 50% of my day. Discovering The Loft gave me renewed interest in contemporary "rock". Great channel; you will hear swing era, GOOD classic rock, post-punk rock and contemporary rock. Even show tunes.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

You weren't alive for Beatlemania, were you?

Paul, who represents The Beatles and Wings, still sells out his concerts. Guess people still love bubble gum songs.

I graduated from High School in 1964, so, I guess I could say I was around at that time.

Just saying that their early music was pure bubblegum. I imagine that all their subsequent success was predicated on the fame and riches they accumulated from junk music.

Later music from John was much deeper and meaningful than anything Paul ever did.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 06:01 PM

Driving home last night they played John Lennon's classic song:

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) done by Sarah McLachlan.

A truly great song that is now a standard and will live on forever.

Check out her version on iTunes you will love it.

Rick
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 06:04 PM
I Believe You Mean Mantovani

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I was a college aged disc jockey on colorful KBLU radio in Yuma Arizona working 6 hour board shifts on weekends doing an inflexible Top 40 play list. For some weeks, We Can Work it Out, and Day Tripper were #1 and #2 on the charts. 24 times a shift. It wasn't long before the Beatles weren't my favorites!:lol:

As for not being the second coming, that'll be a long wait, but I think the fact that you can't be stuck in a background music environment for very long before hearing a Beatles tune, Mantavani style, says a great deal about their impact on music history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantovani

Mr Bill's all time fave.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.