Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: New motor for my boat.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 01:27 PM

Not knocking the yammys, they run very quite, but captkw has a valid point. And I totally agree about the 4stroke gas consumption comment. A merc will burn less fuel than any other outboard. The E-Tecs? Never had one, but they're supposed to be fuel efficient.:)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 03:29 PM

I've owned and ran Yammies over the years and never once had a major complaint with them. Easy to do maintenance with any engine. I loved the quietness of the 4-S Yammies especially, along with the fuel economy.

I have a fuel-saving 115 E-tech tiller on a small, but heavy fishing boat. Finest kind and The Bomb! Beats the Yammie on fuel savings.

Lots of great outboards out there...and Yamaha and E-techs will fill anyone's wish list. They are only as good as you take care of them.

[Edited on 2-3-2014 by Pompano]

LOW FISH DAY 033 YARCRAFT BT (Small) (Custom).jpg - 43kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 03:43 PM
outboards

Hola,,most folks here know what I do for living !! the two stroke Yams are Great !! I would never Hang a 4 stroke Yam on my own boat !! they need high mantaince and parts are CRAZY over priced...that's MY pro take on this...who won that war anyway (ww2)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msawin

YEP

"CHEERS!"...AND GOOD LUCK OUT THERE.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 06:17 PM

I bought a new Bayrunner Baja and 50 hp Honda in Jan of '99 and brought it straight to the East Cape. It has lived here ever since and fished when weather allowed every winter since then. I am the only person that has worked on this engine/boat and I can barely change flashlight batteries.

The most complicated maintenance has been a couple of impellers on the water pump, caused by a timer turning off the hose during a flushing operation and another dumb a-- move on my part.

Honda is bullet proof, period. I would, however, consider a Yamaha, but for operating in rural Mexico, no other engines would I buy. Compared to the OLD 2 strokes, 4 strokes are a no brainer, IMO. No experience on the new 2 strokes. I don't need to reinvent the wheel. Good luck with that great looking boat and new Yamaha!

[Edited on 2-3-2014 by Floatflyer]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 06:39 PM
200 FI vs 50 hp

They are differint machines complety....not even in the same book...glad ya like your Honda...just never buy a Honda 130 hp...check the reviews,,rants on that model to start with... the USGC runs Honda 200's on the 25' well,,,, off the top of my head I think they are 200's...raced the new 25 when they got the motors broken in... head to head for about two miles...I was running twin 2 stroke 75 hp merc's...But,,My boat is a CAT....Ha,HA diff strokes for diff folks..main thing is to have FUN and be Safe...and always help folks in distress !!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
They are differint machines complety....not even in the same book...glad ya like your Honda...just never buy a Honda 130 hp...check the reviews,,rants on that model to start with... the USGC runs Honda 200's on the 25' well,,,, off the top of my head I think they are 200's...raced the new 25 when they got the motors broken in... head to head for about two miles...I was running twin 2 stroke 75 hp merc's...But,,My boat is a CAT....Ha,HA diff strokes for diff folks..main thing is to have FUN and be Safe...and always help folks in distress !!
you mean its like comparing a bronco to a seahawk?:lol:
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 07:10 PM

Captkw , I ruled out ETec . Although I've heard good things about them. I'm doing my homework but when I repower I want a 4 stroke. Their quiet , don't smoke like a two stroke and are fuel sipping. We will have our existing 1999 150 hp Yamaha 2 stroke for a while (saltwater series) it meets our needs and has been a good motor. I like Merc also and have one on my Zodiac.
My current outboard has been well maintained and I've had no problems. My flirting with a repower comes from a safety minded conscious , not the fact that I'll save money on fuel. I agree with your point on that rational. Being that my existing 1999 outboard is 14 years old and my family is on the boat , i do not want to breakdown at sea , hence that is my primary reason for something newer.
Another alternative is spending a lot less and put a 15 or 20 Hp kicker on the back of our 209 Grady.
I can't imagine that a 9.9 hp would cut it.if I go the kicker route I can defer the repower and also upgrade electronics. A kicker as a safety valve provides peace of mind , especially with the family on board. Curious , at 14 years , does my two stroke have a lot of life yet?
BTW , I've heard nothing but good things regarding Yamaha and their corrosion resistant build. Nothing against Merc or others but I see a lot of Yamahas and understand they have surpassed most competitors with their technology ,innovativeness and responsiveness to the consumer.
Just my take on all this but I appreciate your response.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2014 at 09:55 AM
Lengua

Hola,,Its never a easy answer on this !! while the E-TeC is a great motor the oil is way over priced !!! Do Not ever buy a FICHT motor.....even if its almost free !! you might want to "google" Yamaha corroisn problem...you might be very surprised !! also mercury marine (a US biz) had to go to fed court and won an injuction against yamahamarine...which has basicly took a merc motor and changed a few parts a resold it...the US has,was the leader in outboard's tech and design...on the kicker issue and a 14 year old motor ,,,it all depends on the "Love" its been getting...a kicker itself brings in many more issues than the scope of this blog...aka mounting,,,bracket,,,fuel supply,hp and prop pitch...and will it actually move the boat up wind ??? I hear guys all the time say "" I'm buying a 4stroke,,I go albie fishing a lot and will save money..HA,Ha, do the math on that one..not in this lifetime !! K&T

[Edited on 2-3-2014 by captkw]

[Edited on 2-3-2014 by captkw]
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2014 at 04:53 PM

Capt , thanks for the reply . I looks like the Yamaha corrosion issues were with first generation 4 strokes and that appears to no longer be an issue. I understand that Yamaha previously supplied Mercury with power heads. I guess Merc likes Yamaha also .

Can you elaborate on the kicker? The bracket is a given , prop pitch can be calculated or provided . A Grady 209 weighs about 4K fully loaded with three passengers . Any idea on the kicker motor needed?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2014 at 09:25 PM
lengua

Hola,,yes Yamaha did get the issue fixed...but a LOT of folk's found after the warrenty was up !! spending 15/ 20 k and have a major and expensive motor problem was not GOOD !! merc and Yamaha were in bed together for a while and even some (4str)merc power heads were Yamaha.....if you run the newer four strokes please use salt away after each trip !!! and as I said before. keep changing the therms and PRV checked...kickers need to be installed with a lot of forethought and the biggest problems I see are the mounting heights..too tall and the prop loose trust and too deep the motor gets "pooPed" each boat will have a sweet spot..also most mounts let the kicker fly around and after a while they tear up the mount/bracket..spend the extra cash and get the best bracket you can...its a b-tch to make a temp braket to see where the X spot is....but , you don't want to find out on a windy day your kicker is doing very little real kicking when you need It !!! K&T

[Edited on 2-4-2014 by captkw]
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Hola,,yes Yamaha did get the issue fixed...but a LOT of folk's found after the warrenty was up !! spending 15/ 20 k and have a major and expensive motor problem was not GOOD !! merc and Yamaha were in bed together for a while and even some (4str)merc power heads were Yamaha.....if you run the newer four strokes please use salt away after each trip !!! and as I said before. keep changing the therms and PRV checked...! K&T

capkw;
I have first hand knowledge of the yamaha corrosion. I bought my motor used with 500 hours. I knew about the issue and priced it accordingly. When yamaha reduced the parts price to $700 for the exhaust, it was a no brainer to fix and change the oil pump while the head was off.
I'm happy with my engine, though she's a beast. The fuel savings over the 225 SwS are quite significant as I would estimate I burned 1500 gallons last summer. Estimating a 400-500 gallon saving.

I'm curious to the benefits of running saltaway thru the motor?

BTW: my last 100 service, there's a lobster boat in the yard with a 225 yamaha 4stroke with 9600hours. set of injectors and two lower units is all that it was needed. plus a few minor parts here and there.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 08:50 AM

Speaking of fuel. My mechanic recommends using ethanol-free gas, says the alcohol breaks down the rubber and plastic parts when left unburned in the motor over extended periods of time. Does PEMEX sell ethanol-free gas? Some say running the motor on a daily/weekly basis will prevent the problem.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Speaking of fuel. My mechanic recommends using ethanol-free gas, says the alcohol breaks down the rubber and plastic parts when left unburned in the motor over extended periods of time. Does PEMEX sell ethanol-free gas? Some say running the motor on a daily/weekly basis will prevent the problem.

Cypress;
I agree with running it often. I don't let more than two weeks go without at least firing her up and getting her warm. Another advantage of the two stroke it is not a finicky about the fuel.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 10:05 AM
Cypess & aguachico

Ethanol is bad crap on any motor that sits for more than a week or so.....I don't belive "Pemex" is using it..in ca. you will not find any gas that dosnt have it and the idiots in CARB and other folks from the Midwest are doing everything possible to put more of it in the fuel (gas)........aguachico...yes the SWS yams are tough and most 2str will drink just about anything !! BTW.. I HAVE A mercury tsb FOR THE CA. DEALERS THATS STATES.." ETHANOL GAS IN THE CALIF. MARKET CAN GO BAD IN 2 WEEKS " Ffrom the horses mouth...Yikes !!! and on closeing thought..."The wright brothers plane was fuel injected"...think about that with your coffee !! K&T

msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 10:19 PM
Gas Tank

So what do we do about a full tank of gas for storage? Leaving your fuel tank full to fight the water / contamination issue? My Cabo has a 120 Gal. fuel tank. Old gas? I do not burn that much fuel to offset the size I have...
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 10:36 PM
msawin

Hola,,if your keeping her in Baja,,I'd keep her Full..less codersation from the tank walls. and If SHTF you have gas....most boat problems start/end because of lack of use !!! btw after 20/30 hrs do a WOT check to see if your prop is even close...very IMPORTANT and .....very,,very important issue.....and if a quake hits you still fuel for your van/truck/car..Also add a water fuel separator .A MUST !!! unless you want spend BIG bucks on a lot of big issue items down the road !!A 4 stroke outboard is VERY easy motor to have problems and needs LOTS of love !!!The first step is good clean fuel and have the right prop tuning.......MUY IMPORTANT !!

[Edited on 2-5-2014 by captkw]
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 11:37 PM
problem.

So the four stroke a bigger problem? I thought that getting rid of the 2-stroke oil things would be better. Do I need to take my girl back North?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 09:10 AM
msawin

LOL..NO,, keep that new yammy...give it lots of love and go out on your boat as much as time allows....that a good boat and a good motor....enjoy and rip some lips while your out there....LOL
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
LOL..NO,, keep that new yammy...give it lots of love and go out on your boat as much as time allows....that a good boat and a good motor....enjoy and rip some lips while your out there....LOL
I also use the Yamaha Ring Free additive as recommended by my NOB certified Yamaha mechanic.

In Memory of E-57
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.