BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Ciudad Constitucion police?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
The really interesting thing is that I have heard the Federales (that is the pandas to those who do not know the difference) constantly shake down the locals but I have never heard of a tourist ever getting shaken down by them.

My understanding as well. My worker says they are the worst.
They are pretty much a rolling toll booth for truckers.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
It's the SYSTEM not the cops.

Exactly. Every cop that rose through the ranks from the chief on down has had to act accordingly with his peers. That's why the occasional cry for justice we hear here, "Turn the street cop in to his commander [or whoever]," is a ludicrous waste of time. They've all been there.....done that.......and understand the system full well.

You want to waste some more time.....report it to Sindicatura. They understand the system too.
Foreigners are the only ones that refuse to see it.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 03:25 PM

You are correct, I changed the title shortly after the original post. I didn't, and don't, want to imply that there was a concerted effort by police in CC to target tourists.

And as far as 'smuggle' new rods across the border? I was hoping to have a couple of fly rods which cost $99 USD each brought here, since literally no one in Baja sells them. Believe me, if there was a way to get them here, or have them shipped, without paying more than twice the USD face value in shipping that would arrive sometime this month, I would. If you'd bothered to stalk my post on the hunting and fishing forum, you'd know that I'd already inquired at length about that.

But here's the thing... you're right. Guilty as charged. I'm actually not just a rabble-rouser, but a dirty rotten criminal as well. You see, a couple weeks ago, I was at a hotel in the States. And there was a wrinkle in the sheet, which I couldn't seem to smooth out. I pulled the sheet back, and found the culprit. I took that dirty, no-good, piece of crap mattress tag and pulled as hard as I could! It ripped off the mattress. I stood there triumphantly holding my prize - that ragged, 3" long, slightly cardboardy mattress tag. I placed it on the bedside table, smoothed the sheets, and slept like a baby. The next morning, I awoke slowly to the sound of chirping birds. I put on my glasses, and my eyes slowly drifted to the eviscerated mattress tag. I could read a few letters... the dimensions of the mattress, the materials, the manufactu... And then it hit me. I read, mouth agape, the lettering on the tag. WARNING: THIS TAG MAY ONLY BE REMOVED BY THE CONSUMER - FEDERAL OFFENSE TO TAMPER! Oh my God. It's no wonder I'm in Mexico. I can't go back to the US, I live in fear of that incident catching up with me sooner or later!

You simply could not have been more correct in your assessment. I'm a little afraid, even, that you might work for the US Mattress Protection Agency, conveniently working under cover and DBA Bob's Burros. And, gasp, now you have it, all in writing, that I am a US FEDERAL OFFENDER!

Have a good afternoon!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
actually this morning the title of this thread was different...

it said something like..."Ciudad Constitucion police SHAKEDOWN"

chavycha changed it

it wasn't a shake-down at all...just a traffic violation
and he said he did it...guilty

chavycha is the guy in another thread wants someone to "smuggle" a few new rods across the border...

now it looks like he paid mordita...
paying mordita is not good for any of us

it is what it is

[Edited on 2-11-2014 by chavycha]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
They are pretty much a rolling toll booth for truckers.

And others. My worker has his truck registered with ANAPROMEX and the big rear window sticker is an invitation for the feds to get into his wallet.

On the other hand, as mentioned earlier, generally they do tend to leave the foreigner alone in this trolling for lunch money thing.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chavycha

And as far as 'smuggle' new rods across the border? I was hoping to have a couple of fly rods which cost $99 USD each brought here, since literally no one in Baja sells them. Believe me, if there was a way to get them here, or have them shipped, without paying more than twice the USD face value in shipping that would arrive sometime this month, I would.
Just for future reference, you can order something on line, have it shipped to ACV, or another expediter, and they will have it here 3 or 4 days after they receive it, for 25% over invoice. Your two $99 fly rods would have cost $50 to have delivered. Sometimes you can get the company you buy from to give you an invoice for a reduced price and save yourself some money on the importation.

chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 04:04 PM

Thanks for the tip. The location I was in up until yesterday wasn't served by ACV, unfortunately, and it was a couple hours drive to their nearest drop point. DHL, UPS, and FedEx all wanted around $150 USD before import fees. At this point in time I will likely just wait another week and have some friends bring them down.

[Edited on 2-11-2014 by chavycha]
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 04:34 PM
That's Why I Explained How To Screw A Liar Cop

Quote:
Quote:
It's the SYSTEM not the cops.

Exactly. Every cop that rose through the ranks from the chief on down has had to act accordingly with his peers. That's why the occasional cry for justice we hear here, "Turn the street cop in to his commander [or whoever]," is a ludicrous waste of time. They've all been there.....done that.......and understand the system full well.

You want to waste some more time.....report it to Sindicatura. They understand the system too.
Foreigners are the only ones that refuse to see it.

Lie right back. Tell the commandante the bostid demanded two thousand, three thousand, pesos. Shook his handcuffs, patted his holster, said he's follow you to the ATM. I did this to a cop who accused me of running a stop sign as I got into my car after breakfast. Trouble is i parked there overnight with the hotel being next door. As I crept out of the commadancia I could hear screaming for almost a block. Mexicans think gringos are far too dumb and innocent to use this trick. I forced them to espeak Ingles. Just don't do this unless the charge is positively false. There are other ways to handle less grievous "disagreements".

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Lie right back. Tell the commandante the bostid demanded two thousand, three thousand, pesos. Shook his handcuffs, patted his holster, said he's follow you to the ATM.

I would rather avoid that method. Throwing down the gauntlet with an armed man would scare me. :o

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
If I may jump in_
I'm going down to B of C in a few weeks and have never driven that far in Baja (BOLA before). ...

Don't know what I'll find when I get there but in CC I'll be stopped at every stop sign and probably as slow as anyone else on the road (very slow).

Ummm... is "B of C" Bay of Concepcion?

If yes, then you don't go anywhere near CC (Ciudad Constitucion)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
If I may jump in_
I'm going down to B of C in a few weeks and have never driven that far in Baja (BOLA before). ...

Don't know what I'll find when I get there but in CC I'll be stopped at every stop sign and probably as slow as anyone else on the road (very slow).

Ummm... is "B of C" Bay of Concepcion?

If yes, then you don't go anywhere near CC (Ciudad Constitucion)!

Unless you feel like driving two more days.:lol::lol::lol:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lie right back. Tell the commandante the bostid demanded two thousand, three thousand, pesos. Shook his handcuffs, patted his holster, said he's follow you to the ATM.

I would rather avoid that method. Throwing down the gauntlet with an armed man would scare me. :o
The next time you drive through, he just might "find" a bag of chuky in your car.:lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
The next time you drive through, he just might "find" a bag of chuky in your car.:lol:

Yeah......If he ever saw you again it wouldn't be fun. :fire:

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 10:08 PM

OOOPS!!! MY fault!!! I thought I'd be going through there. How did I ever find Europe when I was flying jets?????????
I gotta find my old AAA Baja map!!!!!!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 11:55 PM

IFR, VFR, or Seat of your pants? :biggrin:

The highway south of Loreto (after it reaches the top of the mountain to La Paz) is my least favorite drive on Hwy. 1... It is a whole day of driving through mostly nothing and Ciudad Constitucion!:O

Concepcion Bay is a great destination!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
The highway south of Loreto (after it reaches the top of the mountain to La Paz) is my least favorite drive on Hwy. 1... It is a whole day of driving through mostly nothing and Ciudad Constitucion!

The last twenty miles of this somewhat nondescript section of highway is my favorite.

After 2 1/2 days, crest the last hill, finally see the Bay of La Paz, and...

I'm HOME! :bounce:
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 10:41 AM

Crooked Cops are cowards. Got in the face of several after they tried to screw me (days or weeks later). Polite though. Cannot act snotty at any point in this scenario from start to finish.

Sorta like "Do you go hunting for rattlesnakes with a shovel while wearing shorts and huaraches?" These cops are at least not completely stupid. As a tourist you have a TON of resources at your disposal. If you poner un denuncia against a cop for attempted bribery and later on if you should should be hauled into the ministerio publico on a trumped up charge by the cop or his buddies the ministerio publico is likely to snatch a .45 out of his desk drawer and drill the cop between the eyes. SECTUR will sick the PGR on this El Flacco Y El Gordo (Laurel & Hardy) " farce so fast it would make a person's head swim.

Cops KNOW THIS. A consular agent KNOWS THIS. It ain't gonna happen. A tourist getting hosed in the eyes of the feds is like a Duputado or Senador getting hosed. They look (SECTUR) if they smell a rat, the cop, the commandante and if involved the Minister Publico are going to find their ARSE on fire -- a real four alarmer. Once, long ago I needed serious help for a drug frame up (being hauled in for questioning). The consular agent called SECTUR, SECTUR called the PGR, and the next day a squadron of PGR storm troopers showed up at the MP office. The offending SOB's brought me cases of soda and a gosh darned pastel de tres leches as a (Gee We're Sorry). I was camped at Lagos de Montebello in Chiapas and the Policia Municipal got it into their heads that a lone camper HAD to be involved with drug smuggling.

If you keep your cool and sting crooked cops with elan, they will avoid you like you have ebola.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Quote:
The highway south of Loreto (after it reaches the top of the mountain to La Paz) is my least favorite drive on Hwy. 1... It is a whole day of driving through mostly nothing and Ciudad Constitucion!

The last twenty miles of this somewhat nondescript section of highway is my favorite.

After 2 1/2 days, crest the last hill, finally see the Bay of La Paz, and...

I'm HOME! :bounce:

Naturally after 200 miles of Magdalena desert or farms, the view of La Paz is spectacular! Baja Angel was hoping we could find a place to pull over to take photos!

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 12:06 PM

Jajajajajajajajajajajajjajajajajaja.............................

The VERY extreme most hated section of Mex 1 for me.....................

The last 3,000 meters, northbound

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 12:12 PM

Quote:

The last 3 km., where?

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 12:57 PM
My sentiments, DavidE

Quote:
Quote:

The last 3 km., where?
La Frontera/The Border/The last most northerly stretch of magical Mexican turf
before you cross into the hands of the US Border Patrol and out of the land we all love so.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.