BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Cataviņa ambulance fiasco!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 09:32 PM

Antonio,
Muchas gracias por todo!
It is truly great what you are doing. I hope to stop by and meet you on my next trip south. Again, thank you!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 10:44 PM

When we passed through El Rosario in early July, Antonio was holding the collection can in the road towards the south end of town. We thanked him then and want to thank him again now.

We appreciate what you are doing, Antonio. Thank you.

Paulina y Dario

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 08:59 AM

I really do not like to ask for donations on the highway, we have only done it 3 or 4 times in these year and a half. Seems to me kind of tiresome for those traveling thru Baja.

However, in these past months I have come to realize that the only way to keep a volunteer rescue group is by requesting donations and involving the community, there is simply no other way. Last June, after one year of services, our ambulance broke down and we had to do repairs and mechanical maintenance. We spent over $11,000 pesos and had no choice but to do this type of activity.

Thankfully we got a great response and were able to gather the necessary money to fix it.

Thanks to all of you for your trust, help and support!!!

Antonio Muņoz
Desert Hawks Rescue Group
Non Profit Organization

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 09:20 AM

it may be a wee inconvenience to travelers but as Antonio proved..getting donations in the can on the highway is a VERY effective method of raising money and valid in my opinion...every time we put money in the Red Cross can we think...it might be us next waiting for that ambulance! Thank you Antonio for all you do

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 09:56 AM

Thanks Antonio, great work you're doing!
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 10:19 AM

I always want to know the cause of motorcycle accidents because I ride mine everyday. I add it to the defensive driving file in my head.

If someone hears some facts or opinions of the cause, I would like to hear it.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 06:53 PM

Antonio is the man, he helped immensely a few years ago when my Tacoma rear end broke at Mission Santa Maria. I drove to El Rosario in front wheel drive and he gave me a free room and bought parts in Tijuana and shipped them down, where they were installed by his mechanic. His - now wife - was the go-between and did a great job in spite of my only 200 words of Spanish.
Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 01:44 PM
Motorcycle accidents...

BajaLearner... we have been called to help in several motorcycle accidents around here. Curiously most of them happened to US citizens that, because of the severity of the injuries we ended up transporting them all the way to the border. Here you have some examples:

-- North of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a couple was riding a motorcycle southbound when a cargo truck, in a curve, invaded their lane and ripped off all flesh and muscles from the leg of a lady riding in the back. Driver lost control and both ended up on the asphalt with several contusions and broken bones.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1 on a curvy area: Rider was driving southbound and on a curve a semi trailer invaded his lane hitting the motorcycle left mirror, sending the driver of balance and rolling over the asphalt. He resulted with several fractures and shattered bones in his left leg, plus contusions all over his body.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a motorcycle driver, around 60 years old had a CVA (Cerebrovascular Accident) loosing consciousness while driving and rolling over in his motorcycle.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a motorcycle driver going south bound suddenly encounters a cow on the Higway and crashes with it, sending him off the highway, ending up with 7 broken ribs, fractured femur and several contusions all over his body.

-- South of El Rosario, off road: a group of three friends were driving on some roads towards the beach, when suddenly, after coming out of a curve, they encounter the only truck in 50 kms around that was transporting cattle in that area. Out of three drivers one of them was unable to avoid the truck and ended up in a frontal collision. Driver suffered a fractured hip, broken femur, dislocated shoulder and several contusions all over his body.

In this year and a half we have being doing our best to help people in distress around this area, we have helped in other motorcycle accidents, but these are the most representatives.

I hope these examples help in someway BajaLearner.

Antonio Muņoz
Non Profit Organization

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 02:31 PM

"only cattle truck in 50 kms!" :lol: that's some luck!

I guess you never know when your number will be called.....

Gonzo

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 03:49 PM

First off thanks to Anthony for his good work. Notice most of the accidents are south of El Rosario. That stretch of winding road is certainly one of if not the most dangerous sections of the hiway. I just returned from BA after not going to deep Baja for 2+ decades with my 13yr old son and the one thing that troubles me about going more is THE hiway. We had two close calls the worst just S. of El Rosario towards the beginning of the curvy section. An F-350 bobtail cargo truck with the extra wide mirrors heading/speeding south thought it was ok to use 2-3ft of my lane on a downhill, banked righthander. I had nowhere to go other than driving off a cliff so all I could do was lay on the horn and come to an almost complete stop. The look on his two passengers faces as the driver was trying pull his truck back into his lane was of complete terror. Thankfully it all worked out. But it does give pause as a father taking my son on such a dangerous road. One good thing I did notice heading back were multiple survey crews working the Catavina area hopefully they'll be doing some widening in that area soon.

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by Gonzo]
Dirtroaddoug

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 04:16 PM

Sorry to intrude. Why are people saying "desert hawks"? I'm reading "desert frogs" on the facebook page.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirtroaddoug
Sorry to intrude. Why are people saying "desert hawks"? I'm reading "desert frogs" on the facebook page.

Wrong page... :light:

Here is the right page: https://www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 05:40 PM
Ambulances

Maybe no one realizes that Mulege has Bomadros ambulance in town and one at El Burro beach also a fire truck. The on the beach consists of Mexicans and Gringos who work hand and hand. Usually there is a retired nurse on seen

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 05:51 PM

Bomberos

scene

roundtuit=great handle!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
BajaLearner... we have been called to help in several motorcycle accidents around here. Curiously most of them happened to US citizens that, because of the severity of the injuries we ended up transporting them all the way to the border. Here you have some examples:

-- North of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a couple was riding a motorcycle southbound when a cargo truck, in a curve, invaded their lane and ripped off all flesh and muscles from the leg of a lady riding in the back. Driver lost control and both ended up on the asphalt with several contusions and broken bones.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1 on a curvy area: Rider was driving southbound and on a curve a semi trailer invaded his lane hitting the motorcycle left mirror, sending the driver of balance and rolling over the asphalt. He resulted with several fractures and shattered bones in his left leg, plus contusions all over his body.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a motorcycle driver, around 60 years old had a CVA (Cerebrovascular Accident) loosing consciousness while driving and rolling over in his motorcycle.

-- South of El Rosario, on Highway 1: a motorcycle driver going south bound suddenly encounters a cow on the Higway and crashes with it, sending him off the highway, ending up with 7 broken ribs, fractured femur and several contusions all over his body.

-- South of El Rosario, off road: a group of three friends were driving on some roads towards the beach, when suddenly, after coming out of a curve, they encounter the only truck in 50 kms around that was transporting cattle in that area. Out of three drivers one of them was unable to avoid the truck and ended up in a frontal collision. Driver suffered a fractured hip, broken femur, dislocated shoulder and several contusions all over his body.

In this year and a half we have being doing our best to help people in distress around this area, we have helped in other motorcycle accidents, but these are the most representatives.

I hope these examples help in someway BajaLearner.

Antonio Muņoz
Non Profit Organization

I've done at least two motorcycle trips to Mulege and points south each year for 40 years now and have been extremely fortunate in never having any sort of misfortune on the highway. I know that no matter how cautious, bad things can happen but that applies to any road anywhere. I have often told fellow riders that the secret to making good time on Hwy 1 is knowing where to go slow. Next month will mark 40 years since I first aimed a '73 CB750 down that almost new highway and I'm planning two or three rides between Oct. and next Spring. I admire the work that Antonio is doing and Kathy and I send a few bucks each month. Hope we never need his help.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.