Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: Desert Rat
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 07:47 AM

Graham,

Did he say he was going to get a bus ticket? He strikes me as the type that might reprovision, rest and turnaround and hike back. I guess it's a waiting game for another day.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 08:25 AM

He was really motivated to get a message out to McFez and Nomad that he was OK and get back to his vehicle.

There is no way he would not have posted somewhere on route unless he'd had a medical emergency or something has happened to him.

There was no way he returned to the mountains so soon to try again; he was exhausted.

I've sent an email to the ranger that told me he left in the "workers" vehicle pictured above and asked if he was in contact with them and could they say where they last saw him.

Unless he got out to walk down to the Meling Ranch and never made it, I have to assume he made it down to the town on the highway... San Telmo and either looked to get on a bus or tried to hitch a ride.

Definitely something wrong here!!!

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 08:38 AM

I once again tried to call his Laredo, Tx. telephone number but nobody answered. He is married so perhaps he called his wife but I got no response.

[Edited on 5-24-2014 by bacquito]

bacquito
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 08:46 AM

Sounds to me like he might have gotten disoriented. I hope that people start traveling with a buddy and carrying a GPS or SPOT....I would hope after the Gary calamity and now another possible missing Nomad no one goes out alone, either with a human or something technological. There are too many health problems that can occur in the later years of life.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 08:58 AM

I also tried calling his Laredo TX home phone number - no reply.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
There are too many health problems that can occur in the later years of life.

i applaud the man for not sitting around waiting for health problems to arrive! GET OUT AND LIVE, before it's too late.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 09:13 AM

....found,,then lost seems verrry strange......I hope he's okay! :?:

[Edited on 5-24-2014 by micah202]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 09:30 AM

I agree Woody, but do it safely. Sort of like scuba diving. A buddy never hurts. What was he doing near Ensenada if he had been in San Felipe? Does McFez have an update if he picked up his car or not.
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
There are too many health problems that can occur in the later years of life.

i applaud the man for not sitting around waiting for health problems to arrive! GET OUT AND LIVE, before it's too late.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
What was he doing near Ensenada if he had been in San Felipe?

Never near Ensenada. Graham said that IF he got to Meling ranch a spent the night he was going to give him a ride to Ensenada to catch a bus back to SF which is on the opposite side of the mountain from Meling ranch.

[Edited on 5-24-2014 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 09:44 AM

I received a reply from the ranger at the park. As I read this it sounds like his condition worsened to the point where they asked the guys driving down to take him to Colonet for assistance... but they didn't do as they were asked????

I'd appreciate any Spanish speakers take on translating this:

A las personas se les dió instrucción de que dejaran a su amigo en la delegación de Punta Colonet y que dieran aviso a Protección Civil de Ensenada, pero al parecer no se hizo como lo dijimos, no tenemos noticias sobre esta persona y las autoridades estatales ya tienen noticia.

I've asked for clarification and if they could make further enquiries about Ron's whereabouts.

I feel terrible that we didn't just bundle him into our van when we met him and take him to the observatory and then down with us to Meling. He was reluctant to jump in saying he hadn't washed in days. He perked up considerably while we were talking to him, and I thought we'd find him at the park entrance.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 09:47 AM

Persons were given instruction to leave his friend in the delegation of Punta Colonet and to give notice to Civil Protection Ensenada, but apparently not done as we said, we have no news about this person and state authorities and have news.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 09:55 AM

Thanks... and here's the follow up I received:

Claro, cualquier noticia le escribo un correo a usted, no sé realmente que pasó pero nosotros le dijimos que dieran aviso a las autoridades de colonet, las personas que lo llevaron son trabajadores del observatorio que están construyendo el nuevo telescopio, no los conozco pero los vemos seguido aquí cuando entran.

If we don't get something certain about Ron's situation soon... I'm heading back down there.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 10:02 AM

Sure, any news I am writing an email to you, do not really know what happened, but we told him to give notice to the authorities of Colonet those carrying it are employees of the observatory being built the new telescope, do not know but we followed when they come here.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 10:36 AM

I don't recall if Graham and Ron (Desert Rat) met before, but Graham's first book is what inspired Ron to seek adventures in Baja. Ron followed Graham's lead by walking from San Felipe and got as far south as Gonzaga Bay, in 1994.
Ron sent me his photos back in 2000 and I made a web page: http://www.vivabaja.com/desert_rat/index.html

In 2001, Ron took a bus from Laredo Texas to San Quintin to join us in the Viva Baja 4WD van for a week of fun and exploration in Baja (BBBB-1, Las Pintas, Tinaja de Yubay, L.A. Bay, a lost mission hunt, Gonzaga Bay and we dropped Ron off at the bus station in Calexico): http://vivabaja.com/van1

In 2002, Ron returned to San Quintin with his son to enjoy M's BBBB-4 party: http://www.vivabaja.com/bbbb4/

What I find incredible is that Ron's 'hero' and inspiration for exploring Baja 20 years earlier (Graham) is the person who first found him after trying to climb Diablo Mountain!

Ron is pretty indestructible, I believe he will pop up soon. All of us in the Viva Baja van really enjoyed his company and sense of humor and adventure... and I think he just had his greatest adventure, capped with a 1 and 1 million chance meeting with Graham Mackintosh.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 10:49 AM

The Mexican Cartel couldn't get Ron's car from my Baja house......being watched by four neighbors. :-) The car is the last thing anyone here should be worried about.....let's focus on Desert Rat.

The pictures of Desert rat....I didn't see a sleeping bag. If I was in San Felipe right now...I would take the day to go look for him....for sure. All of this isnt adding up.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 11:03 AM

Graham,
It is curious that he was so disoriented after climbing out of Diablo Canyon and onto the plateau. He knows the area from previous trips. Finding the "best" path might be difficult, resulting in a few hours delay. However, overall navigation is straightforward. If he just walked generally northwest he would have found a road (either the Vallecitos-Los Llanitos road or the observatory road).

Did he seem to have any cognitive (thinking) problems? Dehydration causes cognitive impairment; logic and good judgement decline. Dehydration (and the blood thickening) is also a trigger for TIA's and small strokes which result in cognitive problems. I don't see evidence of a stroke in your photos of him up on the plateau. Face is not drooping on one side, both hands are held in the air and fingers are able to grasp.
Did he show other signs of cognitive impairmant? Slurring speech, difficulty finding words, poor motor coordination, illogical/rambling speech, etc.
Physical impairmant - weakness on one side, balance problems?

There are other explanations for his decline after leaving the park. His kidneys may have suffered the effects of extreme dehydration. If he drank a lot of water without replenishing the electrolytes, hyponatremia (water intoxication) is likely.

If there is no word from him, he may have been transported to a hospital. South to San Quintin or north to Ensenada would be my guess. In any case, I hope that he is receiving medical care and making a full recovery.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 11:50 AM

I just spoke to Sargeant Nakoa Gutierrez in Punta Colonet. He was very nice and I explained the situation. They have not seen or heard anything about him. His number at the Police Station is 616-165-7720. He told me the nearest hospital was Vicente Guerrero IMSS Clinica 69 about 30 km.. There was no answer there and the police in Vicente Guerrero said they haven't heard of him. The Sargeant said he was going to get the number of the Observatory to find out where the workers left Ron and is alerting all of his policemen to start looking for him in the town of Punta Colonet. If Graham could get the Sargeant the pictures that would help. I will call him tomorrow at the same time to find out if he heard of anything.
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Persons were given instruction to leave his friend in the delegation of Punta Colonet and to give notice to Civil Protection Ensenada, but apparently not done as we said, we have no news about this person and state authorities and have news.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 12:06 PM

Yes, it was an amazing coincidence that I was in the first vehicle he flagged down after strugging up to the road! And exactly this time last year the two of us and Bacquito were making our attempt on Picacho.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=66483&pag...

When we met him he spoke to the driver of our van in Spanish and we assumed he was Mexican... I jumped out to get him some water. I didn't recognise him under his hat and beard. He said, "Graham... it's me Christian." It still took a few moments to realise it was Ronnie. He was definitely weak and thirsty and thin. Might well have been more confused than we realised.

Maderita makes some good points and thanks EnsenadaDr for your wonderful assistance here. If we don't hear something I'm going to head down tomorrow and check out the road down from the observatory past Meling just in case he was confused and asked to get off the pickup.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 12:10 PM

And Lencho, I did say I'd get a message out when I could. But even so given the uncertainties I'm certain he would sign on if he could.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 12:13 PM

Can we save the viva caca lessons until after he is found.

Maybe Ron from Talk Baja can help. He lives south of San Quintin.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.